Sweetest Destro I have seen in a long time.

martini_847

I believe that is the infamous Mr. Freeze!...I am getting chills just looking at. That is a grrrrreat! custom. :)-

Any fans of Batman the Animated Series or Justice League  

Check out the newest baddie on the block

10530592711+725.jpg

I saw this and had to pass it on  AWESOME WORK

Yeah. I havent seen such an awesome sign forbidding direct linking to images in quite some time.

Any fans of Batman the Animated Series or Justice League  

Check out the newest baddie on the block

10530592711+725.jpg

I saw this and had to pass it on  AWESOME WORK

Yeah. I havent seen such an awesome sign forbidding direct linking to images in quite some time.

:lol:

10530592711+725.jpg

Yeah. I havent seen such an awesome  sign forbidding direct linking to images in  quite some time.

I've seen it all NOW! :roll:

Everyone, please do us all a favor a leave the customs posted at Joes...right where they're AT, and not here! @*-

"bandwidth & credit"..? :roll: geeesh!

The things people choose to get all uppity about!

"bandwidth & credit"..?   :roll:   geeesh!

I don't see anything wrong with that personally. Bandwidth = money. If people suck up his bandwidth he(joecustoms admin) has to pay more. I'm a regular over there too, and the same policy that runs here runs there too...don't direct link from other sites. Save the image and host it yourself or just post the link. It's just common courtesy.

"bandwidth & credit"..?   :roll:   geeesh!

I don't see anything wrong with that personally. Bandwidth = money. If people suck up his bandwidth he(joecustoms admin) has to pay more. I'm a regular over there too, and the same policy that runs here runs there too...don't direct link from other sites. Save the image and host it yourself or just post the link. It's just common courtesy.

Bandwidth: A measurement of the volume of information that can be transmitted over a network at a given time. Think of a network as a pipe - the higher the bandwidth (the larger the diameter of the pipe), the more data can pass over the network (through the pipe).

That's about as far as my understanding of all this bandwidth jibberish goes, so I'm not sure of what the extra expense would result from...technically speaking.

Does Joescustoms have to buy a bigger "pipe" now? Isn't the "pipe" included with your internet service you already pay for once a month?

I'm sticking my neck out here, with the probably stupid questions, but I really want to know how this bandwidth thing creates an added expense, when pictures are direct linked from one site to another? How does the direct link differ from posting the link...especially after you open the link?

I had asked about this "direct linking" faux pas over at YoJoe.com and it was stated then to me, that they do not want somebody using their pictures to advertise a figure or vehicle for auction or sale (like on eBay) or maybe some other questionable reason, but when I explained that I was using them in discussion groups to show examples of figures in question, I was told that that was not so much the problem. This was quite some time ago, and maybe things have changed, but I would still like to know where the "cost" of this practice comes about?

I was curious as to who may have changed Marty's link of the custom Destro to the JC warning & ad also?

Bandwidth: A measurement of the volume of information that can be transmitted over a network at a given time. Think of a network as a pipe - the higher the bandwidth (the larger the diameter of the pipe), the more data can pass over the network (through the pipe).

That's about as far as my understanding of all this bandwidth jibberish goes, so I'm not sure of what the extra expense would result from...technically speaking.

Does Joescustoms have to buy a bigger "pipe" now?  Isn't the "pipe" included with your internet service you already pay for once a month?

I'm sticking my neck out here, with the probably stupid questions, but I really want to know how this bandwidth thing creates an added expense, when pictures are direct linked from one site to another?   How does the direct link differ from posting the link...especially after you open the link?

I had asked about this "direct linking" faux pas over at YoJoe.com and it was stated then to me, that they do not want somebody using their pictures to advertise a figure or vehicle for auction or sale (like on eBay) or maybe some other questionable reason, but when I explained that I was using them in discussion groups to show examples of figures in question, I was told that that was not so much the problem.  This was quite some time ago, and maybe things have changed, but I would still like to know where the "cost" of this practice comes about?

I was curious as to who may have changed Marty's link of the custom Destro to the JC warning & ad also?

Another thing to consider is this: if Joecustoms, or wherever that pic was hotlinked from, has banners and advertisement, they probably rather you visit the site in the hopes of clicking one of there advertisers/supporters, which in turn, makes Joecustoms money (say .10 cents a click). It also probably raises their counter (which might be invisible to you), thus showing advertisers the high traffic that crosses that site and makes them want to advertise on Joecustoms (and they can set higher advertising rates). Again, that helps Joecustoms (or any site) make money and to pay for bandwidth and other server costs.

When you hotlink pics, it basically goes around all that.

Most of you guys know how to host your own pics anyway, so it's not that big a deal to do it, especially if you're on broadband.

Does Joescustoms have to buy a bigger "pipe" now? Isn't the "pipe" included with your internet service you already pay for once a month?

They might have additional charges on their bill if they go over their bandwidth limit, say 3GB of traffic. If it goes over that, more costs for Joecustoms.

It's just like cell phones, you go over your allotted minutes in your service plan (say 3000 minutes), and it'll cost you extra.

Does Joescustoms have to buy a bigger "pipe" now?  Isn't the "pipe" included with your internet service you already pay for once a month?

To use a bad analogy...

Try to think of it like your kitchen faucet. JoeCustoms, in the example, would be the faucet. The water you don't see, the content on JoeCustoms. We, the internet surfers, are random folks turning on the faucet to get some water.

So every time someone turns on the faucet (JoeCustoms) water comes out (site content) and bandwidth is consumed resulting in more money charged. However, everytime someone leaves the site, the faucet is automatically shut off. No leaks. When images are hotlinked, it's like the faucet has a leak or is on all the time. Water keeps coming out and the bandwidth is consumed at a greater clip. Just like if you leave your faucet running 24/7, your water bill *will* reflect that with a higher charge. That or they'll shut off your water. Neither of which are desirable for you, the home owner..

Bandwidth is allocated in set amounts based on what you pay the provider. Think of Geocities or Tripod sites. When the member sites run out of allocated bandwidth, they are shut down. That's also why those "free sites" don't allow any direct linking from images on their servers to outside sources. Hosting those images consumes bandwidth and costs them (the hosts) money. They make money back by pop up ads. If the images are hosted on their servers but able to be accessed off of their member pages, then they lose advertising money.

I'm not attacking anyone directly, just giving an explanation and showing what I've learned about bandwidth theft.

Here's a very good explanation of bandwidth theft and why it's a bad thing...

http://www.internet-tips.net/Legal/sins_bandwidth.htm

To bring it a little closer to home, here are two examples of why it's a bad thing...

In this example here, let's say enough people hotlink this picture that it costs joecustoms.com extra money. So who pays for it? Either the owner of the site takes it out of his own pocket, or he passes on the costs to the site's sponsors. The site's sponsors (usually online stores) in turn have to make this money somehow, so it could be passed on into the pricing of the figures, coming out of the consumers' pockets.

The second reason it's bad to hotlink is that there is no credit given to the the creator of the custom, the website or the website's webstaff. Using this example, no one knows who created this figure, or where one could find more information about it. A direct link to the page would show who made the custom, how it was made, and if there are any more like that (not yet, but there's a Scarlett on the way.) Even if you host the picture yourself, you should always credit where you got the picture from.

http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/customs....242&kind=figure

So when I post a picture of one of my customs here..

fc244476.jpg

as opposed to just the link..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid6...1a/fc244476.jpg

Is this also draining on ADC's bandwidth, by posting the pic and not just the link?

If someone then takes my pic, and hotlinks it to another site somewhere to show it off, what cost to me is that? Is MY bandwidth suddenly getting tapped out? :-?

Hmm... if you host the pic yourself, and insert it into a post, as long as you give the customizer credit, what's wrong with that? I much prefer a visual picture in a post (I'm a visual person) than a text link. Text links don't hold much interest...

Is that correct, uh, "hosting ettiquette", or what? :-?

Oh, and VH, what the heck is that?! :o

Hmm... if you host the pic yourself, and insert it into a post, as long as you give the customizer credit, what's wrong with that?  I much prefer a visual picture in a post (I'm a visual person) than a text link. Text links don't hold much interest...

I think what we're being told is that hosting it yourself is okay for adding a picture directly to your post, if you do this with anothers custom and STILL give credit to who & where you got it, is even better, but not as necessary as the hosting of the pic yourself is. One's apparently stealing, the other is poor ettiquette. :-?

Oh, and VH, what the heck is that?! :o

Ohh..that's just a Sand Viper I farted around with, and gave Dustys helmet to. :) Caught your eye did it? :wink:

Hey...is hotlinking these emoticons Bandwidth stealing also?

jump3.gif

So when I post a picture of one of my customs here..

fc244476.jpg

as opposed to just the link..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid6...1a/fc244476.jpg

Is this also draining on ADC's bandwidth, by posting the pic and not just the link?

If someone then takes my pic, and hotlinks it to another site somewhere to show it off, what cost to me is that?  Is MY bandwidth suddenly getting tapped out?   :-?

That pic is hosted by Sony ImageStation, a site whose purpose is to host pics. So they're probably prepared to deal with the bandwidth usage. Sony's footing the bill for that, so it shouldn't waste ADC's bandwidth at all (or so I guess). Since Sony's ImageStation is a free service, it costs you nothing.

Ohh..that's just a Sand Viper I farted around with, and gave Dustys helmet to.   :)   Caught your eye did it?   :wink:  

Yes :P

Hey...is hotlinking these emoticons Bandwidth stealing also?

jump3.gif

Yes, it is. But, some sites don't give a sh!t. Or it doesn't happen enough that it causes them problems, so again... they don't care.

Personally, I think that if you don't want people hotlinking off your servers, there are ways to prevent it. Either some script or option somewhere can be turned on or enabled or whatever to prevent hotlinking. There are a few ways to do it.

'Cause this is just the nature of the Internet. Don't b!tch if you're too lazy to implement solutions that can prevent hotlinking (general statement, not addressing anyone).

And as far as giving credit, I don't really care about that either. If you don't want your pics appearing elsewhere, don't post it. Again, just the nature of the Internet.

Once you put stuff on the Internet, it's pretty much up for grabs. People will use and abuse it.