Marvel Comics Q&A thread

Rodimus Primal

Conan follow-up:

Yes, it is indeed Dark Horse who will both publish new Conan comics, and reprint the Marvel stories.

The Marvel stories will be collected as The Chronicles of Conan in trade paperback form, with the first volume going on sale September 17th. It will have 144 pages, be in full colour, and feature the writing of Roy Thomas with the art of Barry (Windsor) Smith.

For more info on Conan, go to www.conan.com

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conan follow-up:

Yes, it is indeed Dark Horse who will both publish new Conan comics, and reprint the Marvel stories.

The Marvel stories will be collected as The Chronicles of Conan in trade paperback form, with the first volume going on sale September 17th. It will have 144 pages, be in full colour, and feature the writing of Roy Thomas with the art of Barry (Windsor) Smith.

For more info on Conan, go to www.conan.com

i have a bunch of conan marvel magazines

Thanks, Eccentrik, for the update on Conan and Shang Chi. Let me ask you about another character I've lost track of -- the Unknown Soldier from DC. I know this is a Marvel board but when I posted this query on the DC board I didn't get much info. Do you know anything about what happened to him?

Thanks, Eccentrik, for the update on Conan and Shang Chi.  Let me ask you about another character I've lost track of -- the Unknown Soldier from DC.  I know this is a Marvel board but when I posted this query on the DC board I didn't get much info.  Do you know anything about what happened to him?

No problem on the Conan and Kung Fu front, Joe.

However, my DC knowledge is a bit more limited: I've always been more Marvel Zombie than Johnny DC. I keep an eye on all the big iconic characters, and even follow a title or two, but the Unknown Soldier is, well, Unknown to me.

where does nightcralwer go in the split second when he's teleporting

he travels through a different dimension

from Marvel.com:

"...He leaves behind smoke and the smell of burning brimstone, actually atmosphere from the unknown dimension through which he travels. "

where does nightcralwer go in the split second when he's teleporting

he travels through a different dimension

from Marvel.com:

"...He leaves behind smoke and the smell of burning brimstone, actually atmosphere from the unknown dimension through which he travels. "

What he said.

The dimension is, clearly, a dark one, though it is apparently not THE Dark Dimension, which Cloak is a portal to, and which the New Warriors character Silhouette travelled through when she teleported.

An often neglected aspect of Nightcrawler's powers is that the darkness of the dimension he travels through is supposed to be constantly leaking out around him, causing him to look like he's in heavy shadow even when in bright sunlight, and causing him to blend into shadows.

Dave Cockrum, responsible for creating the character, always remembered to draw him in shadow. John Byrne did as well. You'll notice if you look at their issues that Nightcrawler's face is usually almost entirely ink. Subsequent artists have often been either unaware, or simply failed to correctly indicate this aspect in their art.

can magneto magnetically move collossus

how do you think that they'll bring back collossus in god loves man kills 2

now that juggernaut is an x-man, do you think we'll see a new and improved fastball special

I know he was mentioned earlier but what's Taskmaster been up to lately?I heard he had a mini-series(or a very short one)not to long ago.

Well, let's go back aways to start... all the way back to the 20th Century (aka the Dark Ages), circa 1997 or so.

Taskmaster decides to hire a new tech guy for his school. He selects a man known as Weasel. The method of offering the job is to kidnap said Weasel, bring him to the school, and offer him the Playboy channel.

Weasel thinks it over, and accepts.

Weasel's prior employer decides to rescue Weasel.

Oh yeah, Weasel works for Deadpool. Oops.

Deadpool, rational man that he is, decides to invade a complex of mercenary warriors in training... alone.

He makes short work of the trainees (hey, they're fodder!), but is stopped rather quickly by Taskmaster.

Taskmaster then decides to let Deadpool recover a bit, so that he can then use him as a teaching example for the students.

They fight again, with Taskmaster using Deadpool's own moves against him.

Deadpool, however, is not the sort of foe Taskmaster is used to facing. Taskmaster fights superheroes. Reasonable, sane sort of fellows.

Deadpool is not sane.

He goes completely unpredictable. For the first time, Taskmaster has encountered someone who his photographic reflexes refuse to follow. It's hard to fight someone who's idea of a defense is a musical number.

Taskmaster does not react well, suffering a minor mental breakdown himself, and Deadpool and Weasel leave. Consider this particular school session over.

A few years later, he orchestrates a complex revenge, involving a shapeshifter, superpowered trainees, a satellite based laser, and doublecrossing a Deadpool who is fully aware the entire time that he is being doublecrossed. It fails to achieve its goal of killing Deadpool, however, and along the way, Deadpool gives Taskmaster a new name: Barney Toastmaster. Needless to say, TM ain't too happy with that one.

A while later, the Avengers stumble on to everybody's favourite 90's buzzword: proactive. They decide that instead of waiting for the problems to come to them, they'll go to the problems. Taskmaster's schools provide all those trained thugs that all the other baddies use. Taskmaster is thus a problem.

After having several of his schools shut down, and tiring of teaching skills he can learn instantly to a bunch of morons who require months of intensive training (and have a tendency to get caught or killed minutes after graduating anyway), he gives up the school business, and returns to his roots: mercenary work.

He streamlines his costume, trades in the solid shield for a stolen prototype of the energy shield Cap used briefly around '99 or so, and switches from the longsword to the katana.

In the miniseries, he tangles with Iron Man, and then with Stark/Iron Man foe Sunset Bain, as well as one of those pesky Triad gangs.

He next returns in, once again, Deadpool. His love interest from the mini, you see, has been hired as Deadpool's secretary/assistant. When Deadpool needs a little background info on a foe, Sandi (said love interest) calls him in. Deadpool and Toastmaster agree to let bygones be bygones, for now anyway, and shows up occasionally throughout the final arc of Deadpool's title.

Then Deadpool dies, and is replaced, both as a book, and in Sandi's life, by Agent X, aka Alex Hayden.

Sandi thinks that Hayden may be Wade, and asks Toastmaster to train him, which he does, though neither Hayden nor TM really enjoys it too much, except the part about beating the *censored* out of each other.

TM eventually sets Alex up by cluing in some people he's ticked off that he may be Deadpool, who ticked off the same people even more. In the end, Alex survives.

Last we saw Taskmaster was in the most recent issue of Agent X (the second to last), during which he spent most of his on-panel time vomiting.

As to where we'll see him next, I don't know. UDON, the studio who handled the art for all of his merc appearances save the vomiting one, are currently only doing Sentinel for Marvel, and I can't quite see Taskmaster fitting in to that particular title. Gail Simone, the writer who handled all of his Deadpool and Agent X appearances (again, except the vomiting one), is not currently writing any books for Marvel (she will be taking over Birds of Prey over at DC though, with Ed Benes on art), so she won't be using the character any time soon.

It's likely he'll return eventually, but in what role remains to be seen.

Of note is the fact that in the miniseries it was revealed that his repertoire is not limited to hand-to-hand, shield-slinging, and swords: he's also a world class chef, having picked up the skills by watching cooking shows.

can magneto magnetically move collossus

At the moment, no. Ashes don't have a very high iron content, and corpses generally have a hard time using mutant powers.

The Ultimate incarnation of Magneto found that Pete was a little too strong for him to hold down, but he could certainly affect him.

As to whether the regular Magneto could move the regular Colossus when they were both among the living, I'm not certain. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to. The same problem might come up that the Ultimate version faced: Colossus might not be immune to the magnetic forces, but he just might be strong enough to resist them.

Keep in mind though that the Ult. Mags was doing several other things at the same time as trying to hold Colossus, and that the regular Magneto, at his peak, may have been more powerful.

how do you think that they'll bring back collossus in god loves man kills 2

I'm not sure, what I've heard is quite vague. For those who haven't heard, apparently Colossus and Illyana both appear, NOT in flashbacks. However, it seems unlikely that Marvel's current dead means dead policy has been reversed on two MAJOR deaths at the same time...

I guess we just have to wait and see. Could be clones, androids, shapeshifters, magic, parallel universes...

now that juggernaut is an x-man, do you think we'll see a new and improved fastball special

It's a possibility, to be certain, though most Colossus fans would object to the suggestion that Juggernaut would be an improvement.

Another possible variation on the them would be to have Northstar do the throwing: Supersonic Fastball Special.

whatever happened to carnage and venom

Carnage, being insane and all, clashed with the Silver Surfer, which turned out to be a rather stupid move on his part.

Surfer, who with the Power Cosmic is a bit harder to take down than Spidey (and face it, Cletus, you never could take down Spidey), sealed Carnage away in some sort of energy coccoon.

Next we saw him, a couple years later, the coccoon was gone. However, he'd apparently been delivered to appropriate authorities before hand, as he was in a secure facility, under armed guard, in a cell designed specifically to suppress the symbiote.

Then Eddie arrived.

Disguising himself as a janitor, he got in close range of the cell, and... eliminated the guards.

Cletus was rather happy: finally, a rescue!

Venom had other plans.

He seperated the symbiote from Cletus. Then he ate it.

Yes, ate it.

Venom went on to menace Spidey and J. Jonah Jameson, only to have an unfortunate case of indigestion before he could finish them off (the Carnage symbiote trying to crawl back up his digestive tract).

Cletus is then transferred to a different facility, as the other has proven insecure, and of course they no longer require the technology to hold the symbiote back.

But Cletus escapes.

We next see him covering himself in red, standing over the bodies of a security guard or two. However, Marvel was still under the Comics Code back then, so the shot pulls out further to reveal that he's broken into a paint store and used paint, not the hinted at blood.

He then heads to the streets, proclaiming he is Carnage, fantasizing about taking down both Venom and Spidey before a cheering crowd.

Mostly he just stands on a car and rants at people.

The guy whose car he stands upon goes to pull a gun, but notices that the Kingpin, sitting conviently at the window of a nearby restaurant, gesture for him to stop, and look up.

Spider-Man, Spider-Man... does whatever a spider can...

Which in this case, means taking down Cletus Kassady in about 30 seconds, and moving on.

We have not seen any sign of either Cletus or his symbiote since.

Venom, on the other hand, continued to pop up from time to time.

Assaulting the Bugle only to be driven off by Ben Urich and a zippo lighter (it was a comedy story, arguably the best issue of Mackie's run).

Getting mixed up in the latest attempt to revive the Sinister Six. Which didn't work out well for any involved, as they all had conflicting motives, and the all knew that Venom wanted to kill them and eat their brains, which is kinda hard to tolerate.

Eventually, Venom, unable to obtain the brainfood he craves, instead took a rather large chunk out of Sandman, who could not recover from the wound, and fell apart, got washed down a stormdrain, and eventually became a beach.

Then Eddie tried to reunite with his ex-wife, who was terrified of the symbiote. In case of wrong place, wrong time, Spidey swung by the window as she was looking out, wearing his black costume (his last remaining red one had been stolen, and the only spare he could find in May's attic was one of the fabric black ones he wore after losing the alien costume). She screamed, thinking it was the symbiote, and Eddie decided to go attack Spidey for scaring her, which of course revealed to her that she had been mistaken.

Spidey and Venom have their little fight, until Spidey decides to ask Venom what he wants. Venom says he wants to be left alone so he can try and reconcile with his wife. Spidey says okay, which rather puzzles Venom. Spidey, having just lost MJ (and not having accepted her death yet), can sympathize. Oh, he still plans on coming after Venom and shutting him down, but he's got other things to do, and Venom wasn't really harming anyone at the moment.

However, by the time Eddie gets back to the apartment, his plans have been wrecked: his ex-wife has jumped to her death.

Venom of course, blames Spidey, because it's always Spidey's fault.

Since then, Venom has not appeared... until just recently.

Venom now has his own series, with the opening issue already out. The premise is that the Venom symbiote can now jump from host to host at will, and is currently doing the much-cliched arctic base slaughter. How the change came about, and where Eddie is, we don't yet know, though Eddie will apparently appear in the series, sooner or later.

Venom will also appear this July, in Spectacular Spider-Man #1, for the opening arc, which sees Venom back in New York battling Spidey. Whether it connects in any way to the events in his own title is unknown, but if he's after Spidey, it's almost certainly Eddie in there. I see two possibilities as far as intertitle continuity: either both titles will completely ignore the events of each other, or Spectacular will make some note of it, but Venom's book will not (as a Tsunami title, Venom's book is intended to be accessible for new readers, and as such is not likely to make reference to events in other titles).

Yes, thanks for the very nice updates!

I'll keep looking but what's up with The Silver Surfer and Thanos?

Surfer's been notably absent from any significant role in the Marvel Universe since the end of his series in the 90's.

However, this July, Silver Surfer #1 sees the return of the concept of shiny alien on a surfboard, though the direction is quite different than previous efforts.

I've ordered the issue myself, looks impressive. All new creative team, first comics work for all (to the best of my knowledge).

One or another of the comics news sites has some preview pages and info articles, I'll dig it up later and provide a link.

Thanos last in continuity story was a year or two ago, and was Starlin's most recent Infinity book, Infinity Abyss. Come to think of it, Surfer may have appeared in that, though I didn't read it myself, so can't say for sure.

Currently, he appears in the out-of-continuity miniseries, Marvel: The End, once again by Starlin.

Starlin's name pops up yet again when discussing future appearances: The man himself has said he has begun work on a Thanos monthly ongoing title, which will see Thanos trying on the role of hero. The book hasn't been solicited yet, or even confirmed by Marvel, for that matter, but if Starlin's working on it, it's a safe bet it's really happening. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the June Previews (for products shipping in August), which we'll start to see solicitations from next week or so.

Thanos also had a significant cameo role in Frank Tieri's Deadpool, in which he was revealed as the mastermind behind a scheme that returned Deadpool to life. The motivation being that the object of Thanos' affections, the incarnation of Death, has the hots for Deadpool, and Thanos will do everything in his power to keep them apart.

The events of Infinity Abyss must have distracted him from that goal, however, as Deadpool apparently died in a massive explosion a few months after the Thanos cameo.

Eccentric did a damn well job explaining the whole ressurection of Colossus/Mr. Sinister/Nightcrawler dilemma before, but most people respond better to pictures:

ncsin.jpg

:D

Anyway, I know of Nightcrawlers abilities to teleport and blend in with shadows, but... Can he adhere to and climb up walls? I've seen panels in comics where it looks like he's climbing, but I'm not sure. Anyone care to clean this up for me?

credit-uncanny x-men.net

Where did I say it was my picture? All I'm doing is trying to help answer someone's question. And if you're so fascinated on who's picture it is, then check the URL.

More important than credit is the matter of courtesy, and bandwidth.

Many people commented when they attempted to look at the ML4 pics that Julius put up on aftimes that all they got was red X's.

That's because people were linking the image, just like the page scan above.

It uses the resources of the site that is hosting the image, without giving them any of the benefits of people actually visiting their site.

It is almost always better to post a link, so that people can go to the host site and find the image themselves.

The reason you'll see Tripod and Geocities hosted images replaced by small logo gifs when you try and post them is because they're trying to fight remote linking as it places a serious drain on their resources.

If there's some reason a link to the hosting site cannot be provided, which really, there shouldn't be, then the best alternative is to download the image to your hard drive, and then upload it to one of the many free remote hosting sites available, which are there specifically to host images for posting elsewhere. To them, it's not a drain, because it's their purpose to host these images.

Unless the site that the scanned page above is from specifically states that they allow remote linking of the images, then it simply should not be done. To do it is to place a unnecessary drain upon their resources, and make them less inclined to provide the images at all.

It's one of those things that's just good etiquette (or if you insist, netiquette): you don't post in all caps, you don't flame, you don't remote link images without permission, you don't copy entire articles from sites into posts, etc.

Anyways, enough lecturing: the thought is certainly appreciated, as it provides info that is useful, and saves me the effort of digging through my back-issues to find the appropriate issue.

how did the onslaught thing end, 1996 went by to fast for me to have reads it,

My first real spike of comic collecting, where I bought more than one title a week, ended a few months before Onslaught, and didn't resume until 1998, so much of my info here is second hand (which rarely stops me), so for further detail, someone else will have to step in.

However, here's what happened, as far as I know it.

Eventually, all of the major hero teams confronted Onslaught in New York, Avengers, FF, X-Men, etc.

In the final battle, the Avengers and the FF seemingly sacrificed their lives to take down Onslaught, and subsquently were thought dead by the rest of the Marvel universe for the following year or so.

However, what actually happened is that they were sent to another reality, where they had no memory of their lives in the regular Marvel U.

Captain America, the Avengers, Iron Man, and the Fantastic Four, all experienced new and revised origins. For instance, Cap wasn't frozen in ice after his last mission: the US Government hypnotized him into forgetting his identity, gave him a fake family, and had him live a "normal" life, until the time came that they needed him again.

The FF had to steal their rocket, after government forces tried to sieze it from them.

Tony Stark had to don the Iron Man armour after an attack by Hydra.

The Avengers were purposefully put together by the government.

The Hulk was a special case though: he lived on in BOTH universes. At the time of Onslaught, he was "The Professor", an intelligent Hulk, who was at the time believed to be Banner's mind with Hulk's strength (subsequently revealed as false). The Banner part got sent to this new universe, where he got turned into the Hulk, again.

The Hulk part stayed behind though, becoming a mindless creature that never reverted to human form.

Dr. Strange was the only one in the regular universe to figure out early on that the heroes survived, though he did not no where, or how, or why.

It turned out the Franklin Richards was responsible, and had created this little universe.

Eventually, the universe started to collapse, and the heroes began to remember their real lives, and figured out they had to leave, and did so, returning to the normal Marvel U.

The adventures in the Heroes Reborn universe were chronicled in the second volumes of Avengers, Captain America, and Fantastic Four. The first volumes of those titles were cancelled to make way, and Thor's book returned to it's original title, Journey Into Mystery.

The whole Heroes Reborn project was an attempt by Marvel to restore interest in their classic properties by farming them out to Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld, and their respective studios. Basically, it was Marvel as done by Image, and suffered from many of the same things early image suffered from: flashy splashy art, weak story-telling, weak writing.

Sales were pretty good, though, at least to start.

Anyways, after the titles ended, volumes 3 of Cap, FF, and Iron Man launched, with Thor following several months later with his first #1 issue.

All of the Heroes Return titles, as they were called, have managed to reach 50 issues, however, Captain America ended after that, and was relaunched yet again, this time under Marvel Knights.

The experiment in some ways was a precursor to the later and much more well recieved Marvel Knights project, which farmed out lesser characters to Quesada and Palmiotti's Event Comics. Learning from past mistakes, they didn't have them relaunch and recreate the characters, but merely give them new direction.

Where did I say it was my picture? All I'm doing is trying to help answer someone's question. And if you're so fascinated on who's picture it is, then check the URL.

More important than credit is the matter of courtesy, and bandwidth.

Many people commented when they attempted to look at the ML4 pics that Julius put up on aftimes that all they got was red X's.

That's because people were linking the image, just like the page scan above.

It uses the resources of the site that is hosting the image, without giving them any of the benefits of people actually visiting their site.

It is almost always better to post a link, so that people can go to the host site and find the image themselves.

The reason you'll see Tripod and Geocities hosted images replaced by small logo gifs when you try and post them is because they're trying to fight remote linking as it places a serious drain on their resources.

If there's some reason a link to the hosting site cannot be provided, which really, there shouldn't be, then the best alternative is to download the image to your hard drive, and then upload it to one of the many free remote hosting sites available, which are there specifically to host images for posting elsewhere. To them, it's not a drain, because it's their purpose to host these images.

Unless the site that the scanned page above is from specifically states that they allow remote linking of the images, then it simply should not be done. To do it is to place a unnecessary drain upon their resources, and make them less inclined to provide the images at all.

It's one of those things that's just good etiquette (or if you insist, netiquette): you don't post in all caps, you don't flame, you don't remote link images without permission, you don't copy entire articles from sites into posts, etc.

Anyways, enough lecturing: the thought is certainly appreciated, as it provides info that is useful, and saves me the effort of digging through my back-issues to find the appropriate issue.

Ah, fair enough. I'll host it and edit my post...