Marvel Comics Q&A thread

Rodimus Primal

:lol: Barney Toastmaster I like that  :lol:

I think it's time I do a little Deadpool hunting what issues where those exactly?

Can't say off the top of my head. I think the initial confrontation between the two is in the second issue of the title, but the Toastmaster stuff doesn't happen until Priest's run, around issue 30 or so.

There's also another appearance I neglected to mention that happens during Priest's run, in flashback:

Apparently, some time after 'Pool escaped from the Weapon X rejects facility, he tried getting work as a henchman in New York. At one point, he was hired by the Wizard to take part in a new Frightful Four... the remaining two? Constrictor and Taskmaster.

The grouping apparently didn't last long (considering they never appeared outside of one brief flashback tale).

I'll go do a quick spin through my back-issue boxes and find the relevant issue numbers.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, in order of publication:

Deadpool (ongoing series, of course, not either of the two minis) #2 - Deadpool's assault on Taskmaster's Nevada school. By Joe Kelly/Ed McGuinness.

Deadpool #35 - Constrictor/Deadpool/Taskmaster/Wizard Frightful Four flashback. Also has 'Pool as Hobgoblin (though apparently Priest meant for it to be the Green Goblin, but the artist didn't speak English, so there was a bit of confusion). By Priest/Paco Diaz.

Deadpool #39 - #40 - Deadpool goes on a mission for Taskmaster, gives him his new name. The mission leads into #41 and #43 (#42 has only two pages set during that time, the rest is a flashback tale), but Taskmaster doesn't appear. #44 picks up soon after, but again, no Taskmaster (instead, part 1 of a crossover with Black Panther). By Priest, with art by Diaz and J. Calafiore.

#45 has a brief cameo appearance.

Avengers vol. 3 #38, by Kurt Busiek and Alan Davis, features an assault on a Taskmaster school, this one in the Florida Everglades, by a strike team of Triathalon, Warbird, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Wonder Man. Taskmaster appears for all of one page, but it's significant because he notes that this is the fourth school he's lost to the Avengers in a week, and it subsequently turns out to be his last appearance in the caped costume.

Taskmaster mini, by UDON - Unveils his new look, introduces Sandi, reveals previously unknown aspects of his power.

Deadpool #68 & #69, the final issues of the title, feature appearances by the revamped Toastmaster.

He then appears in almost every issue of Agent X, which has about 9 issues. The first story after Simone leaves doesn't have him, but he returns for the final arc by Dorkin.

The Kelly/McGuinness Deadpool/Taskmaster clash is great.

Priest's run suffered from weak art, artist/writer miscommunication, and editorial interference. The daily life of supervillians stuff is funny, but it's a drastically different humour than the Kelly stuff went for, which upset many people. They wanted Kelly, or someone doing their best imitation. Priest, however, did Priest, as best he could under the constraints he faced. Taskmaster's role here is small, but he makes a decent straight-man for Deadpool.

The Avengers ish is a favourite, but the Taskmaster role is minor: the Avengers take down that base in about four pages, and Taskmaster doesn't bother to stick around once it's clear what's happening.

Oh, and to answer the question about Nightcrawler:

I'm not sure. I don't think he's supposed to be able to adhere to walls, like Spider-Man does, but I think that I've seen it drawn on occasion, and possible even mentioned in captions.

Generally speaking, he doesn't. He's usually shown to have some sort of grip with hands, feet, tail, or some combination. Spider-Man, on the other hand, will often be shown supporting his full weight just by pressing his feet and fingertips against a surface, without gripping onto anything at all.

The film explains Spidey's grip with tiny barbs, which is the way spiders and insects do it, but the comics Spidey has some sort of limited telekinetic ability that allows him to adhere to virtually any surface.

In the Spider-Girl series, it's apparently been revealed that May (Spidey's daughter in this alternate future) can use the power in other ways, and that Peter could have as well, if he'd though of them. If I recall correctly, it can be used to push away from an object (instead of pulling towards), as well as making it so that anyone else who touches an object will stick to it as well (not a permanent stickiness: she has to remain touching the object).

There is no sign that Straczynski or Jenkins have any interest in bringing in those aspects, however, so it may be something that is only available in that particular timeline.

actually, in very recent Uncanny Issues, it says NightCrawler can adhere to any surface.. just like Spidey. this was mentioned in the front pages, where it gives a brief description of the characters and their powers

Sorry to get off the X-Men topic, but Thanos is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel U and I have seen him battle alot with the Silver Surfer. The two seem to mix it up alot, like they have some kind of rivalry or past. Is there some kind of connection between him and the Silver Surfer? I

Sorry to get off the X-Men topic, but Thanos is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel U and I have seen him battle alot with the Silver Surfer.  The two seem to mix it up alot, like they have some kind of rivalry or past.  Is there some kind of connection between him and the Silver Surfer?  I

To the best of my knowledge, there was no history between the two before their first clash. All subsequent battles, of course, have the prior ones to draw upon.

Even without some prior connection, the two are natural opponents, both fitting into the cosmic niche of characters, one on either side of the whole good/evil split.

While I can't say for certain, it seems to me that their first clash was likely the result of some writer saying, "What cosmic level villian hasn't the Surfer fought yet?".

Coincidentally, both are (apparently) receiving new ongoing monthly titles (the Thanos title has yet to be officially announced, but the fact that "Infinity" was one of the initial leaked titles back before Tsunami hit, and that Starlin has said he's working on a monthly Thanos project, would seem to make it a fairly safe bet).

Surfer's new series debuts in July. The Thanos series could be included in the upcoming solicitations, which we should see in the next day or two, for comics arriving in August.

What was Gambit's first appearance? Was it X-Men 266?

As far as I know, from the research I have conducted in the past 15 seconds, yes.

:)

Assuming, of course, you're just leaving off the Uncanny for convienience... which is alright, because at the time it was the only X-Men title, and it was, before it had Uncanny added to the name, just called X-Men.

What was Gambit's first appearance? Was it X-Men 266?

As far as I know, from the research I have conducted in the past 15 seconds, yes.

:)

Assuming, of course, you're just leaving off the Uncanny for convienience... which is alright, because at the time it was the only X-Men title, and it was, before it had Uncanny added to the name, just called X-Men.

What would we do w/o you Ecceentrik! :luv:

Who is Stevie Hunter? I think that he was some kind of a teacher in New Mutants & X-Force, but that is all I know.

Who is Stevie Hunter?  I think that he was some kind of a teacher in New Mutants & X-Force, but that is all I know.

Wrong gender.

Stevie Hunter was Kitty Pryde's dance instructor. She lived in Salem Center, the town near which Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters (now The Xavier Institute) is located. She's human, and was aware that the folks living at the mansion were not only mutants, but the X-Men, long before either fact became public knowledge.

Who is Stevie Hunter? I think that he was some kind of a teacher in New Mutants & X-Force, but that is all I know.

Wrong gender.

Stevie Hunter was Kitty Pryde's dance instructor. She lived in Salem Center, the town near which Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters (now The Xavier Institute) is located. She's human, and was aware that the folks living at the mansion were not only mutants, but the X-Men, long before either fact became public knowledge.

didn't the bad guys kill her in "God Loves Man Kills" for being a mutant lover?

Haven't read it, so don't know.

Also, until this year, God Loves, Man Kills, was not considered continuity.

Now that there's an in continuity sequel, presumably at least some of the events in the story have become continuity, such as it is these days.'

The character could be dead, I certainly haven't seen her used in years.

Question: Why hasn't anyone tried to re-incorporate Blink back into the X-universe? Or have they?

They did... sort of.

I just reread the Phalanx Covenant 4-parter, where Blink debuted and was quickly "killed" by her own power, and I had forgotten that she'd originated through Generation X. I still think of her as an Age of Apocalypse character.

After several years of fan requests for either version of the character to return, Marvel gave in, and gave the character's co-creator Scott Lobdell a 4 issue Blink miniseries (the other creator was Joe Madureira, who was either doing Battlechasers, making videogames, or playing videogames at the time). After the first issue was solicited, it was then revealed that a new series called Exiles would be coming out, with Blink in the lead.

The miniseries focused on the Age of Apocalypse version of the character, on a solo adventure set before the team encountered Bishop. In it, she travels to the Negative Zone, the place the Fantastic Four is always off adventuring in. She loses her memory, and falls in love. The man she falls for, however, turns out to be Fantastic Four villian Annihlus.

Judd Winick, who would write the Exiles, joined Lobdell as co-writer with the second issue, taking over on dialogue.

The final issue had Blink return to her AoA X-Men team, and then flashed forward to after the events of X-Men: Omega. With nuclear bombs dropping, and many of her friends dead, she wandered off, and suddenly got pulled through a portal, landing in the middle of a desert, where she met a girl who looked a lot like Nightcrawler. The series ended there.

The Exiles series opened with the same scene the Blink series ended with. Blink, the Nightcrawler girl (Nocturne), and several others were sent on a mission to travel from dimension to dimension setting things right. Their reward was that eventually repairing these different timelines/dimensions, would restore damage to their own, and send them home. Blink had a bit of a special case though: her timeline ceased to exist, so if she gets sent back... there's no place to be sent back to.

Guess who got sent back, just a few months ago.

Is there any chance of a Blink resurrection? Any knowledge on why/why not?

With the original Blink? Slim to none. It's been too long, the current regime at Marvel isn't into that sort of stunt, and her death was meant to bring meaning to the story, so bringing her back would negate the impact, as well as flying in the face of the current Dead Means Dead policy. The slim bit is that many people hold on to the idea that her teleportation related powers mean that instead of dying, she was stranded in some other place or dimension. There has been no on-page evidence to support the theory.

With the AoA/Exiles Blink? It's unclear. Her situation, what with her timeline no longer existing to go back to, makes her somewhat of a special case. Some have speculated that she'll transfer over into the regular Marvel Universe, because her timeline was a twisted version of it. However, there's also no evidence suggesting this will happen, and all previous AoA survivors to appear in the main universe have since been removed (Sugar Man, Dark Beast, Holocaust, X-Man all no longer appear).

If AoA/Exiles Blink ever returns, I would expect it to be in the pages of Exiles. That's also the most likely place to look for any other version of the character, as they travel to new dimensions constantly, showing alternate versions of familiar Marvel characters. Encountering another Blink, after just losing their own, certainly has story potential.

Thanks so much, and the "secondary mutation" idea sounds brilliant to me. That whole evolution process having a second level (and maybe more?) just makes sense... Might be fun to try and come up with secondary mutations for other characters.

It's a cool idea... that also reveals that Morrison is just the latest in a long line of X-writers who really don't understand the concept of evolution. But hey, it's fantasy.

Chuck Austen's Dominant Species arc in Uncanny shows that he has a somewhat more realistic grasp of the theories involved in evolution, though of course, he has to remain somewhat consistent with both the established Marvel version and Morrison's ideas.

Tying that all together, Chuck Austen's doing a 5 issue fill-in arc on Exiles at the moment. The last Judd Winick story before he started was the one in which Blink left, and the final three issues will feature his Uncanny cast and the Dominant Species folks in the Exiles first visit to the main Marvel universe.

Thanks for answering! Do you know if Blink still has the fan base that caused the previous further explanation in the first place? Or did her fan base dwindle enough that her disappearance from the universe didn't matter much?

I think it would make more sense for her original "demise" in the Generation X-launching mini-series to have really been a teleportation to another dimension. I miss her!

all previous AoA survivors to appear in the main universe have since been removed (Sugar Man, Dark Beast, Holocaust, X-Man all no longer appear).

Whatever happened to these guys? I thought they were still around, well except for X-Man, but even him I'm not sure about. I heard he became one with the planet or something like that. Could you explain what happened to these guys.

Also, whatever happened to Drax the Destroyer for Warlock's series?

laters

Thanks for answering! Do you know if Blink still has the fan base that caused the previous further explanation in the first place? Or did her fan base dwindle enough that her disappearance from the universe didn't matter much?

I can't say for sure, but I think it's safe to say that much of the previous demand for her has faded. Exiles fans probably would like her back, but for the most part, other than the occasional call for the return of the original, I haven't encountered much demand in the past couple of years.

I think it would make more sense for her original "demise" in the Generation X-launching mini-series to have really been a teleportation to another dimension. I miss her!

There wasn't really a whole lot to miss: sure, she was likeable, in that she was shy, cute, and had a cool power, but we never really got to know her.

The AoA Blink was rather drastically different, and we got to know her, at least briefly. She was pretty cool.

The miniseries/Exiles Blink was intended to be the same character as the AoA one, but I never really found her quite as appealing as she was in AoA.