Top Five Metal Vocalists:

Darthmaul33

Who are to you, the top 5 metal vocalists? For me, they are:

1. Ozzy

2.Dio

3.Ian Gillian

4.Rob Halford

5. James Hetfield

Others:Bon Scott, Lemmy Motorhead, and Bruce Dickinson.

I'm not sure about Hetfield and Gillian, but the others are correct, IMO.

So I'd replace them with (in no particular order):

Ozzy

Dio

Halford

Danzig

and the guy from Mudvayne.

1. Anneke van Giersbergen - The Gathering

2. Aaron Stainthorpe - My Dying Bride

3. Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden

4. Chris Cornell - Soundgarden/Audioslave

5. Mike Patton - FNM/Tomahawk

Great singers of great bands!!!

I'm not sure about Hetfield and Gillian, but the others are correct, IMO.  

So I'd replace them with (in no particular order):

Ozzy

Dio

Halford

Danzig

and the guy from Mudvayne.

At the San Diego Comic Con, Glenn Danzig hangs out at his own booth, selling original art and signing stuff. He is very accessible for a rockstar. He is short though... @*-

Well, Gillian I threw him in since I dug his voice for Deep Purple: Highway Star, Smoke on the Water, etc...

Hetfield, he just sounds right to me. But your replacements are cool as well.

At the San Diego Comic Con, Glenn Danzig hangs out at his own booth, selling original art and signing stuff. He is very accessible for a rockstar. He is short though... @*-

8) Is he as scary as everyone says he is? I remember hearing his house is black and nothing grows in his yard . . .

Well, Gillian I threw him in since I dug his voice for Deep Purple: Highway Star, Smoke on the Water, etc...

Hetfield, he just sounds right to me. But your replacements are cool as well.

The reason why I took them out is because of the category. Gillian just doesn't have the push anymore (I saw DP's concert last year, and he was very sad :cry: ), but even when he was a good singer, he wasn't really 'metal.' Same reason why I took Hetfield out. He's a good singer, but he doesn't scream. Metal singers have to be able to scream their lungs out and also have a push with their range. The guy from Mudvayne must have no vocal chords by now.

Also, I would throw ###### Tate in from Queensryche. He's got a great push in his range, and he can scream and sing with the best of them. I saw their concert two years ago with Iron Maiden, and he was phenomenal.

Danzig is very approachable, and not intimidating at all. He is muscular, but that doesn't mean much. He is shorter than me :P . But he seems like a very down to earth dude.

###### Tate has an amazing voice. He doesn't get credit man. All of these snot nosed "rock" punks of today are ruining the whole aspect of singing.

But you have good points on your choices. With Gillian, it's sad to say singers from back in the day sing now. It's sad. Like Roger Daltrey, it's not the same anymore man. Even Robert Plant lost it. Aging sucks in that sense. Who else is a good singer? The guy from Dokken is pretty good, so is the dude from Riot.

But you have good points on your choices. With Gillian, it's sad to say singers from back in the day sing now. It's sad. Like Roger Daltrey, it's not the same anymore man. Even Robert Plant lost it. Aging sucks in that sense. Who else is a good singer? The guy from Dokken is pretty good, so is the dude from Riot.

I agree. Aging does suck, but I don't think they took care of themselves (drugs) and they wore their vocal chords out (screaming does take it's toll). Dokken and QR have good singers (better than today by a long shot), but I can't remember their names -- although I think the guy from Dokken is Dokken. Those are two other good choices, definitely.

cornell would have to be the best. ozzy is great,but a horrbile singer. cornell has a good voice and exellant range.

This is metal singers, buddy. Not angelic voices. Ozzy can scream, and still has a great push with his voice, even after all these years of screaming and drug abuse and all. Cornell never struck me as a metal singer, and still doesn't. He doesn't scream, and though his range isn't bad, he doesn't have the push, the projection, that classic metal singers have. Could you hear him in a club without him using a microphone? I know you could hear Ozzy. Hmm, come to think of it, that's probably why most metal singers scream, because they're trying to get the push with their voices, but can't. Hmmm, interesting . . .

Cornell never struck me as a metal singer, and still doesn't.  He doesn't scream, and though his range isn't bad, he doesn't have the push, the projection, that classic metal singers have.  Could you hear him in a club without him using a microphone?

I like you Maeglin, but why do we always have to argue? :lol: Anyways, I saw you dissin' on my homeboy Chris, and since I'm a hardcore Soundgarden/Chris Cornell fan, I have to defend. :wink:

Cornell does scream. I don't know how many of you sing, but if any of you can hit the notes Chris does (while screaming at the same time), then give me a call...we'll start a band. :wink: If you think he doesn't scream listen to "The Day I Tried To Live," "Blow Up The Outside," "Burden In My Hand," "Tighter & Tighter," "Rusty Cage," "Jesus Christ Pose," "Loud Love," anything by Audioslave...well, you get the point. ;)

I will agree that Cornell doesn't exactly fit the description of a metal singer though. "Cochise" off of the Audioslave album and anything pre-Superunknown are about as close as Cornell ever got to metal. However, he does have one of the best voices, and the best range of any current rock singer...possibly any rock singer ever.

BTW - Just for the record, Soundgarden won a grammy for "Best Metal Performance." Anyone remember "Spoonman?" :wink:

EDIT: Oh yeah...forgot to add this:

Don't argue music with me...especially when it comes to grunge. I always win. - JJ :wink:

"Jesus Christ Pose" is a fun song. Don't forget "Birth Ritual" off of the Singles Soundtrack!

I dunno if you guys know this guy, but the singer of Glassjaw is pretty good too. He sounds borderline psychotic on a good number of their songs. He can kinda sing, definitely scream and sometimes breaks into a weird crazy giggle. AND (here's the selling point), if you ever listened to their first (I think) album, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence, then you know he can project anger. That CD is great!!

I like you Maeglin, but why do we always have to argue? :lol:  

:oops: I guess I do argue constantly.

I will agree that Cornell doesn't exactly fit the description of a metal singer though.  "Cochise" off of the Audioslave album and anything pre-Superunknown are about as close as Cornell ever got to metal.  However, he does have one of the best voices, and the best range of any current rock singer...possibly any rock singer ever.

I never said he wasn't a good singer. I think he is a really good singer, especially compared to some of the jokes they have singing today, though not the best of any rock singer ever.

BTW - Just for the record, Soundgarden won a grammy for "Best Metal Performance."  Anyone remember "Spoonman?" :wink:

Best Metal Performance doesn't mean Best Metal Singer! @-@

I will agree that Cornell doesn't exactly fit the description of a metal singer though.  "Cochise" off of the Audioslave album and anything pre-Superunknown are about as close as Cornell ever got to metal.  However, he does have one of the best voices, and the best range of any current rock singer...possibly any rock singer ever.

I never said he wasn't a good singer. I think he is a really good singer, especially compared to some of the jokes they have singing today, though not the best of any rock singer ever.

I am kinda biased when it comes to Cornell. :lol: He is the best rock singer ever, and I'll beat down anyone who doesn't agree. :evil: @-@

Seriously though, if you haven't checked out his solo album "Euphoria Morning"...do so. He really puts his voice and talent on display, doing everything from jazz, to blues, to music that can't be classified. However, if you're looking for hard-hitting rock songs, you won't get it from this album.

I cant count to five so i'm gonna list some of my favorites:

Jaymz Hetfield

Dave Mustaine

Brandon Boyd

Maynard James Keenan

Chris Cornell

Phil Anselmo

Robb Flynn

Tom Araya

Sebastian Bach

Alice Cooper

Ozzy

Dio

Robert Plant

Chino Moreno

Ian Watkins

Bruce Dickinson

Max Cavalera

Burton C.Bell

Dani Filth

..and more.....

i can't count to five either, not because i have too many to name, but rather because there's only two i regard highly enough to be on my "top" list...

glenn danzig (misfits, samhain, danzig)

dani filth (cradle of filth)

Danzig is very approachable

yep. :) i've been meeting him at the con since '92. a few years ago, he also had a booth for his own comic company, verotik. but, the company isn't very active anymore, and they haven't had a booth for the past couple years. he's gone back to his little booth, "selling original art and signing stuff."

Is he as scary as everyone says he is?
He is muscular, but that doesn't mean much. He is shorter than me :P .

as darthmaul said, he's very down to earth. this is true, he even had some of my nachos one time. :) aside from the con, i've met him a few times before and after shows, and he's real personable to his fans. but, on the other hand, he can be as scary as "everyone says he is." he may be short, and regardless of his muscles, most people know not to f*** with him. he's the coolest guy in the world, but can be the worst a**hole if he doesn't like you. he's been jailed for physical violence before. he's something like a tripple black belt in jeet kun do (bruce lee's martial art, but don't quote me on the degree, i forget exactly), and he's even a licensed jeet kun do teacher.

... anyway.

diesel