D.C. Comics Q & A

Bespin refugee

I paged through a batman yesterday and It looked great!

I am definitally gunna start getting the comic. I was a huge fan of his awhile ago, and I go like the cartoons he is in.

I was wondering, is there something that I should know that is going on? Or did something big recently happen?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paged through a batman yesterday and It looked great!

I was wondering, is there something that I should know that is going on? Or did something big recently happen?

it depends on which Batrman title you're talking about.

Was it Batman, Detective Comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, etc...?

Batman is at least halfway (9 issues into?) into a storyline ("Hush")

'Detective' begins a 3 isue storyline w/ ##784

' Legends' beginss a 3 issue storyline w/ #169

You can find out a little more at www.dccomics.com

Personally, the only Bat titles I've followed recently are the "Hush" issues; I don't know whats happened in the others, or if they're even connected.

Actually, something big is currently going on in Batman. Jim Lee and Jeph Loeb (who did the stories Long Halloween and Dark Victory) teamed up and are doing the 12-part Hush storyline and part 8 just came out. This story has done quite a few things. It retconned in an old friend of Bruce from his childhood days before his parents died. The friend being Dr. Thomas Elliot. Hush has also made references to Long Halloween making it part of mainstream DC continuity (it has always been wishy-washy if it was an actual in continuity story or not).

Batman has also revealed his true identity to Catwoman and they are starting a real relationship. Harvey Dent has apparently had major plastic surgery down to the grotesque half of his face and 'supposedly' had his attorney liscense reinstated by the state. And some mastermind villain with wealth and power has been using Batman's major villains (so far Posion Ivy, Catwoman, the Riddler, the Joker, Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Harley Quinn and Killer Croc have all appeared) against him. AND someone whose identity is unknown to both Batman and Ra's al Ghul has recently used a Lazarus Pit and someone has been brought back to life.

Now 'Hush's' identity is still unknown, but the DC website gives 22 suspects to choose from and whoever guesses right then they throw those names in a hat for a random drawing to win original art signed by Jim Lee. So it is one of the 22. The suspects run from Batman himself to the dead Robin II Jason Todd, his dead father Thomas Wayne, J'onn J'onzz (the Martian Manhunter), and dead villains from back in the day Hugo Strange and Clayface. My bet, personally, is on one of those two. Strange being my major bet seeing as he knew the duel identities of Batman.

And I would highly recommend Batman and try to pick up the back issues of Hush. And starting with #620 the guys from 100 Bullets take over for 6 issues and then Jim and Jeph come back for six more.

As for Crisis.. well it did a decent job, but they they had to revamp again with Zero Hour. And then they came out with the Hypertime idea. Which basically brings us back to the Infinite Earth concept. Kooky, huh?

And some mastermind villain with wealth and power has been using Batman's major villains (so far Posion Ivy, Catwoman, the Riddler, the Joker, Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Harley Quinn and Killer Croc have all appeared) against him.  

Not to mention Poison Ivy also used Superman against Bats in an issue.

I would've also reccommended this storyline (Lee is one of my favoriters plus all the guest stars 8) ); but, I wasn't sure how tough it might be to find the back issues. If you can find them, get them; if not, watch for the tradepaperback. :)

Can someone please give me some info on the only 2 DC titles that I am considering adding to my subscription. They are Batman & JLA. I have heard that Batman is really great but I have not heard a lot about JLA.

I guess I was asking what you readers think of them as I am a Marvel/X-Men type of guy.

The Batman title is very good right now IMO and JLA isn't. I liked JLA when Morrison and Waid were writing. Joe Kelly's stories just haven't grabbed me but I will buy the title when Clairemont and Byrne take over.

Now 'Hush's' identity is still unknown, but the DC website gives 22 suspects to choose from and whoever guesses right then they throw those names in a hat for a random drawing to win original art signed by Jim Lee.  So it is one of the 22.  The suspects run from Batman himself to the dead Robin II Jason Todd, his dead father Thomas Wayne, J'onn J'onzz (the Martian Manhunter), and dead villains from back in the day Hugo Strange and Clayface.  My bet, personally, is on one of those two.  Strange being my major bet seeing as he knew the duel identities of Batman.  

I think Hush is Two-Face. Ras asked Batman "who do you know that would want to come back from the dead" Well Harvey's face is perfect once again and his becoming Two-Face was a "death" of his personal life. Now it appears that he's had a "rebirth" due to his new face and his reaquired lawyer's liscense, he's deffinately got the resources to organize some of Bat's villains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Can someone please give me some info on the only 2 DC titles that I am considering adding to my subscription. They are Batman & JLA. I have heard that Batman is really great but I have not heard a lot about JLA.

I guess I was asking what you readers think of them as I am a Marvel/X-Men type of guy.

Batman: if it's Loab writing it it's excellent. He and Lee are rumored to be back after the "100 Bullets" storyline. In the meantime another great Loab title is Superman-Batman.

JLA: Kelly is getting better. "The Burning" storyline just wrapped up and was very nice. There's gonna be a one issue story (#90) before the next line starts up so nows a good jump on point for a new reader.

Other good DC stuff is JSA and Teen Titans both written by ###### Johns.

In the No Man's Land story, Bats is missing in the beginning because, as Wayne, he went to Congress to lobby for funds to help rebuild Gotham City. They pretty much laughed him out of D.C., everyone thinking he's just the pretty boy business man trying to look good. Then, thinking he cannot "protect" the city he has sworn to, he took a leave of absence and got his head together. He came back, met up with Gordon (after some friction) and eventually beat down each and every freako in Gotham. Second, Gotham wasn't rebuilt in a day. Lexcorp came in and rebuilt it. See, the Penguin was running a little Casablanca (city in Morocco, and an old classic film with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman) and his outside man was (among others) Lex. Lex got Penguin to get Bane into Gotham, and blow up the city records building, thus destroying the "who own's what" records. This way, Lex could come into Gotham and pretty much do whatever he wanted. Acting as a philanthropist, he rebuilt Gotham into a futuristic city with old school touches. This is a major reason he got elected head idiot in charge.

In the present, Batman has concluded the Hush story-line. Hush is Thomas Elliot (duh), and Bats is still unsure over a bunch of things. But then again so are we. The ending was left open for lots of questions, to be answered (probably) in the second arc Lee and Loeb are doing after the 100 Bullets team are done.

As for what's good in DC? Well aside from Bats, Supes & Bats is a great title. JSA is good too, but I don't read it. That's what I heard. Pretty much everything else sucks I think. I've heard good things about Wonder Woman, but I'm not to sure. Lee and Loeb are doing Supes next, starting in January? This week (November 19), Alex Ross's JLA Liberty and Justice is coming out, and his coffee table book, Mythology is out right now. And I heard somewhere that Kevin Smith is going to do another stint on Green Arrow, right after he finishes that Spidey/Black Cat story.

• 3 weeks later...

I love JLA and always will, but I'm not a fan of Kelly's work so I haven't read the title in a while. Currently, I am reading Superman and Batman and I'll be starting JSA since Johns is writing.

I would really recommend Superman and Batman. Probably my favorite title so far this year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this is REALLY old news, but I have been out of comics for awhile and was wondering if someone could explain the whole "Death of Superman" storyline for me. I understand he died fighting Doomsday (I think), but how did it all go down.....what happened in the comic after he passed, and how/when did he come back? If anyone could give me a quick summary, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I am new to comics and am just wondering what is good now adays. From the past I hear Batman and JLA might be good. Anything else. I also hear some good stuff about Flash. Right now I am picking up Identity Crisis as it comes out, and have picked up the hush tpb (actually the reason I started into comics). Just wonder what else is out there as I plan to make a run to a comic bookstore at the end of the month.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought Hush was Tommy Elliot? I'm way behind in DC lol. Also my bookstore sells those graphic novels of Batman Hush, it has a cd with nice artwork also. So far volume1has been published in paperback. How many volumes are there? Volume 2 will be released in paperback by october is what the clerk told me.

• 4 weeks later...
Pre-Crisis

GOLD: Permanently removes superpowers from Kryptonians. Can also trigger amnesia. Phatom Zone villain Drex-Ul was exposed and lost both his powers and memory. He was later hired to work at the Daily Planet. Only a couple pieces known to exist. Created by passing through a radioactive space cloud

GREEN: Death eventually follows a quick loss of strength. Can also run plutonium powered devices like both Metallos

WHITE: Kills plant life. Created by passing through ANOTHER space cloud.

X-KRYPTONITE: Gives mortals super powers temporarily. Created by Supergirl as a potential cure to green Kryptonite. Created Streaky the Super-Cat. Only one chunk known to exist.

BLUE: Deadly to Bizarro Superman. In one ep of the Superfriends it was used to cure Superman of accelerated aging due to an exposure of Red K. (He would have died if he tried to wait it out)

ANTI-K: Affects Kryptonians without super powers in the same way green Kryptonite effects those with super powers. This was invented as a retcon to explain why the non superpowered Argo City Kryptonians died.

JEWEL: Gives those in the Phantom Zone the power of mind control of anyone in the vicinity with less than superhuman will. The lone chunck is said to be from the Jewel Mountains region of Krypton.

RED: Causes bizarre mutations that last 24-48 hours. A couple instances lasted up to 72. One benefit is that you do get immunity from the specific piece you're exposed to. Unfortunately, each piece is different & causes different mutagenic effects. Created when a large number of Gren K chunks passed through a red cosmic cloud. (Anyone sense a trend?)

SILVER: Revealed to be a hoax

SLOW: Modified green Kryptonite which can harm humans and slow nerve impulses in Kryptonians. Invented by a scientist and used by the second Metallo

YELLOW: Fake. Created by Luthor to bluff Supes while he tried to rob Fort Knox

PINK:Turns Supes into a flaming interior designer

POST CRISIS

GREEN: Will kill Kryptonians and eventually humans after prolonged exposure. Makes Superboy extemely sick. Has recently been known to have an adverse effect on Powergirl as well.

KRIMSON: Created by Mxyzptlk as a peace offering to Luthor. Made Superman human. COMPLETELY. Changed his organs around and everything.

RED: Created by Batman in the "Tower of Babel" storyline in JLA out of a deep rooted distrust for superheroes. Turned Supermans skin transparent. Icky icky icky

Other Universes

THE KANSAS LODE: Also known as "Green K". A radioactive element would be global conqueror Lex Luthor AKA The Green Skull used in his attempt to kill the hero known as Super Soldier in the Almagamated Marvel/DC Universe

WHITE: In the Salkind produced Superboy show, a different form of White K was made by exposing regular Green K to the device that created Bizarro. Instead of harming the facet faced freak it actually SAVED his synthetic life by stablizing his molecular structure which was threatening to go critical mass and explode, taking out the city.

SMALLVILLE GREEN: Green K not only can harm Superboy, oh excuse me, Clark Kent :roll: It causes humans to turn into the monster of the week

SMALLVILLE RED: Gives him mood swings

PRYOR GREEN In Superman III, Superman is exposed to a synthetic form of Kryptonite invented by Richard Pryor. (With TAR filling in the unknown element) Turned him into a total #$###. Later he splits into his good and evil components, complete with clothes and all. They then tried to kick each others ass with the loser disintegrating.

Didnt make a damn lick of sense to me either.

A display of all the Pre-Crisis Kryptonite can be found at Booster Gold's Planet Krypton restaurant in "Kingdom Come"

@hmmm@ Whow,! I sure didn't know that about the kryptonite.

Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...
I know this is REALLY old news, but I have been out of comics for awhile and was wondering if someone could explain the whole "Death of Superman" storyline for me. I understand he died fighting Doomsday (I think), but how did it all go down.....what happened in the comic after he passed, and how/when did he come back? If anyone could give me a quick summary, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

after superman died(he did in fact croak) the kryptonian weapon known as the eradicator came on line, took kal-el's body and placed it into a regeneration matrix(an egg lookin thing). eradicator went somewhat nuts and thought he was superman,and along with the clone superboy and steel,and a cyborg superman claimed to be supes. the cyborg turned out to be a bad guy and destoyed hal jordan's(green lantern)home town coast city. the real superman came back(with most of his powers) and with the help of steel, superboy,supergirl,lantern,and eradicator "destroyed" the cyborg. in the fight eradicator "sacrficed" himself and restored superman to full power