South Bend U.S.S. Enterprise

J_Rek_Vandekar

I recently purchased a toy put out by the South Bend toy company in 1979! It is the Motion Picture version of the Enterprise and what's cool is it has removable warp nacells & pylons so that you can reconfigure it into a total of 5 different starfleet ships.

It's not as accurate as the upcoming AA model, but I bought it for sentimental reasons. When I was a kid, my friend had one and I wanted one too but they had stopped making them when I was 5!

ANyway, if you'd like to see pictures or read a little more about it, just go to:

http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/SouthBend

Does anyone at this board have one of these in their collection? #---

• 4 weeks later...

Your best bet is www.ebay.com That's where I got mine. I payed about $75.00 for mine. Ebay usually has at least one auction for one every other week.

The site I listed in my last message also has replacement labels it.

I also recently purchased a loose Playmates TOS Enterprise minus the labels. I'm in college for graphic arts, so I'm going to try to use Adobe Illustrator to replacate those labels. If anyone can help me out by maybe telling me where I can get some pictures of this ship, so I can work on these labels, I'd appreciate it.

J' Rek Vandekar #---

• 1 month later...

I have one... In fact, mine is the one at the bottom of Calorman's webpage. I also have an in-depth review of the toy as well as a heap of pictures over at Art Asylum's message board. Come check it out!

link to AA's Message Board--Topic, OAD's South Bend Enterprise

http://www.artasylum.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...ic&f=8&t=001237

Hope you all dig it!

TKO the OAD

Very nice!

I'm thinking of replacing the original stickers on mine because they are in kind of poor shape. How did you replace the stickers on yours? Did you use that water-slide decal paper for the ink-jet printers? I've been thinking of getting some of that.

J' Rek Vandekar

I used the replacement decal sheet as offered on Calorman's webpage. They aren't perfect, but they are effective. They work just fine and I like how they came out on my ship. I used an inkjet printer, with clear full sheet decal printer paper (the kind with an adhesive side) Upon close inspection, the decals appear pixelated, but they look great from a far. Hope this helps. You'll need Adobe Acrobat or a similar program to open the file from Calorman's website.

TKO the OAD

• 3 months later...

I'm kind of torn as to what labels I want to add to my South Bend USS Enterprise. I made labels which are pretty much copies of the originals, except for a few variations.

1.) I made the phaser bank & docking port stickers much smaller in order to fit the carved area on the South Bend Starship.

2.) I made the stickers for the warp engines by adding grey verticle stripes to a black background instead of black stripes with a white background.

But I had to clean the ship and my labels of course got wet and peeled off. I used Adobe Illustrator to create the labels. This means that they are a vector file rather than a rastor file so consequently, there's no loss of resoultion. They come out really clear. I convert them to PDFs and print them out at the local print shop on label paper.

I'm wondering now if I should instead try to "accurize" the labels to make them fit the movie verstion of the enterprise or whether I should just leave them alone. I've even toyed with the idea of recreating the Aztec pattern for the main hull, but that might be taking things too far.

Any opinions would be appreciated. (I'll have to wait till I'm back in school because I don't have access to the programs I need at home.)

Sorry If I rambled, but i was kinda' tired when I wrote this.

J' Rek Vandekar

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you order a decal sheet from federationmodels.com, you should be able to accurize it even more. Granted this ship is a tad bigger than the ERTL model, but not by much.

I would skip the aztec pattern, I dont think it would ever turn out to what you wanted or expected.

Granted the SOUTH BEND ENTERPRISES do get a little pricey, but you know what, they are worth every penny, I have 2 and 2/3 (I have a pylon and nacelle missing) but the other two are complete. Even tho the toys are quite old, they are still very sturdy, some glue or epoxy may be needed to strengthen the areas where the glue has faded or become eroded over time.

I can assure you, any money you spend on this toy is worth it. If you are not satisfied with it, lmk, I will always pick up a SOUTH BEND ENTERPRISE as long as its somewhat reasonable.

Actually, I think you meant that the ERTL model is larger than the SBE. The ERTL model is about 2 inches longer. I just added the new labels to mine tonight. Like I said before, if I can find another one for the right price, I might make myself a USS Lexington or a Yorktown.

Regards,

J' Rek Vandekar

• 10 months later...

J Rek,

I admire your patience at making your own stickers. That must have really took some time. It probablly made a mess too with all of those cut outs. I bet you are still finding pieces of them.

Shadow

No Problem.

I'm afraid I can't rearrange mine in as many configurations as possible, because the Saucer section and engineering hull are kind of stuck together. But even with that, I can still come up with at least ten different combos.

It also appears they are getting more rare. I haven't seen one on ebay for quite a while. So if you can find one, I would snatch it up.

J' Rek Vandekar

Great! Hope we can see some pics when you get it.

J'Rek Vandekar

I will take pictures!

:)