The Cobra Rattler rules!!!

Evil Count Marzo

I got one for X-Mas and boy...either I'm a complete ##$%$# or that thing is a pain in tha ass to put together. :o

It looks awesome once its together though! I am a little disappointed with wild weasel though. Oh well I cant wait to hang it from my ceiling!

I wish I could get an old skool blue one but that will never happen unless I drop a few bills. :(

The old school blue one lays this new one to shame...

which is pitiful really... There's no reason in the world why this new one couldnt have been just as cool........

Phanstar

A decently frankensteined pilot, black colored colored missles and a gunner's canopy. Why was this too much to ask for, Hasbro? Why?

No gunner canopy because the gunner seat had to fit JvC figures too. :evil:

And the Wild Weasel figure is crap.

The copper Rattler itself is pretty cool. I don't mind the color too much. The bottom is all black, if that helps. The gatling gun is a little too soft for my tastes; it so soft that it makes it hard to turn. The missiles could have had a better color, but I rather they all fit on the pylons better. The one of the outer most pylons doesn't work too well (it's a little bigger), but that's OK. After you remove the Sound Attack gun, you free up a few more pylons, so after some rearranging around, it's enough.

I also had to drill and hot glue the wings into symmetry. Widened the hole where the metal bar goes into and then hot glued it in place. Perfect wings for my Rattler now.

Overall, it's pretty cool. The fixes weren't too major, thank God for power tools. :wink: And a great substitute for those of us who don't own any version of the Rattler at all.

It really upsets me that I can't get the outer bombs to stay on. I'm on the verge of grabbing the dreaded crazy glue.

Canopy? ? ? ? ? Neon colors? ? ? ?

Sorry but I think they just dropped something they knew collectors would buy and thought nothing of quality. Adults buy toys for thier kids, if the toy is a peice of garbage then the parent will normally abandon the toys line forever unless the child loves it to death. Putting crap like this on the shelves is one more step closer to GI Joe going bye bye for a second time.

V

It really upsets me that I can't get the outer bombs to stay on.  I'm on the verge of grabbing the dreaded crazy glue.

Canopy? ? ? ? ?  Neon colors? ? ? ?

Sorry but I think they just dropped something they knew collectors would buy and thought nothing of quality.  Adults buy toys for thier kids, if the toy is a peice of garbage then the parent will normally abandon the toys line forever unless the child loves it to death.  Putting crap like this on the shelves is one more step closer to GI Joe going bye bye for a second time.

V

Dude, take off the Sound Attack crap and you'll have 2 extra pylons. Just move everything in by 1 pylon. It's really a simple fix. Why anyone would keep that Sound Attack crap on is beyond me, especially since all you have to do is unscrew 4 screws.

I pretty much knew the reason behind the gunner's canopy. But that problem could have benn EASILY surmounted by using a RAH body instead of a super bulky wave 1 bod.

Take Desrt Striker Flint, Shock Viper or SUB Viper. Three molds Hasbro has access too. Three molds that could pass for a pilot's body. Three molds that could fit under the canopy. If one mold doesnt fit then find one that DOES. Its not fricken ROCKET SCIENCE for Christ's sake. I swear sometimes it seems like they got chimps on their development team.

I could have lived with the copper andbright red missles. I could even deal with the Sound Attack. (I only wish they had made a dummy gun to put on the other side for aesthetic balance) But incompetence like this there is no excuse for.

At least there's no WWII doughboy on the thing.

Tis mostly crappy i admit it but i realy need something in the air for cobra. I used a blowtorch and switched there heads. Now have a green wild weasal and orange neo viper gunner. Helps out a bit.

My wings are a bit crooked too and that is by far my biggest problem with the vehicle, that is just unexcusable.

I pretty much knew the reason behind the gunner's canopy. But that problem could have benn EASILY surmounted by using a RAH body instead of a super bulky wave 1 bod.

Take Desrt Striker Flint, Shock Viper or SUB Viper. Three molds Hasbro has access too. Three molds that could pass for a pilot's body. Three molds that could fit under the canopy. If one mold doesnt fit then find one that DOES. Its not fricken ROCKET SCIENCE for Christ's sake. I swear sometimes it seems like they got chimps on their development team.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I know what you're trying to say. But the are other JvC figures out there. The gunner's seat had to be able to accomodate the other JvC figures in the line-up. So really, you can just blame it on the design of the JvC figures. :D

I could have lived with the copper andbright red missles. I could even deal with the Sound Attack. (I only wish they had made a dummy gun to put on the other side for aesthetic balance) But incompetence like this there is no excuse for.

Screw the Sound Attack gun. I just so glad I could take it off. Too bad not ALL vehicles are like this. Hopefully, the other TRU exclusives (Snowcat and Conquest) will be just as easy.

My wings are a bit crooked too and that is by far my biggest problem with the vehicle, that is just unexcusable.

This was a fairly simple fix. Drill and glue in place. Pretty simple.

Maybe I'm just deadened by the fact that almost all the vehicles I've bought needed some kind of fix. It's become a routine these days.

got one for X-Mas and boy...either I'm a complete ##$%$# or that thing is a pain in tha ass to put together.  

It looks awesome once its together though! I am a little disappointed with wild weasel though. Oh well I cant wait to hang it from my ceiling!  

I wish I could get an old skool blue one but that will never happen unless I drop a few bills.  

Amen. I spent two hours putting that MOFO together this morning.

I like the Rattler though there are a few things I force myself to over look.

8speed, you can take off the gun? I don't have the Rattler with me so can ya tell me wwhich screws to unscrew? I wanted to take it off, but I guess I must have overlooked something.

Just take off the bottom peice where the sound thing is stuck, flip it over and there are 4 screws. Get yourself a tiny phillips and a few minutes later the vehicle is free!

I agree vehicles should not be made to be fixed.

8speed, you can take off the gun? I don't have the Rattler with me so can ya tell me wwhich screws to unscrew? I wanted to take it off, but I guess I must have overlooked something.

Like Nas said, just take off the bottom plate and unscrew the 4 screws. Pretty quick and easy.

2 hours? Damn, how did you deal with RAH vehicles when you were a kid? I had almost no problems because I've spent alot of time putting Gundam models together. Plus these snap ons are tons easier when you compare them.

I always loved putting the RAH vehicles together... a love lost with JvC vehicles.

Hey' date=' don't get me wrong, I know what you're trying to say. But the are other JvC figures out there. The gunner's seat had to be able to accomodate the other JvC figures in the line-up. So really, you can just blame it on the design of the JvC figures. :D

Then by all means PLEASE explain to me the logic behind an unprotected gunner station. In order for a jet aircraft to remain aloft., it must travel at hundreds of miles per hour. A human being is physically incapable of breathing in gale forces of ninety miles per hour and higher. Even with a helmet and faceplate on a gunner would be too battered about by gale forces and wind friction to be of any use as a gunner. There theres the fact he would fall out if the jet had to do a barrel roll.

BATs as gunners? Not hardly. These things lack the tactical knowledge to be of remotely any use in a situation that requires spit second creativity. The only BAT that would be even REMOTELY capable of that is Overkill, and its been firmly established that he's way too expensive to mass produce. Not to mention one good shot from behind is enough to put any run of the mill BAT out of action for good, this option is totally unfeasible as well.

The fact of the matter is is that this is ##$%$#ed. An unprotected gunner station is a major slap in the face to RAH and its fans, even if it wasnt meant to be.

And they say they respect the RAH legacy. Bullsh!t.

I'll agree with you it's totaly ##$%$#ed not having a gunners station but do you think kids think of that? nope not at all so hasbro doesn't care.

Then by all means PLEASE explain to me the logic behind an unprotected gunner station. In order for a jet aircraft to remain aloft., it must travel at hundreds of miles per hour. A human being is physically incapable of breathing in gale forces of ninety miles per hour and higher. Even with a helmet and faceplate on a gunner would be too battered about by gale forces and wind friction to be of any use as a gunner. There theres the fact he would fall out if the jet had to do a barrel roll.

Hey, I'm not saying I like it, but what ya' gonna do? For those of us who don't have a Rattler at all, it's all we got. So we get f*cked and what can you do, right? If ya' want one, you gotta suck it up.

We have had open cockpit planes in aviation history. And their gunner's were in an open cockpit too. It doubt it's anywhere near the speed that an A-10 Thunderbolt can reach (even with the Rattler's 3rd engine), but I guess you have to make due.

Besides, the gun position is damn near worthless anyway. The only purpose I can see for the gun is strafing the ground when the Rattler is banking after using the main gun. The gun can't even shoot directly behind it so it's not like it's for defense against aircraft on their 6. If anything the pilot could probably control the gun too.

It would have been nice to have canopy, it would have been nice to use the Rattler as a transport of sorts. Like have Cobra Commander as a passenger.

BATs as gunners? Not hardly. These things lack the tactical knowledge to be of remotely any use in a situation that requires spit second creativity. The only BAT that would be even REMOTELY capable of that is Overkill, and its been firmly established that he's way too expensive to mass produce. Not to mention one good shot from behind is enough to put any run of the mill BAT out of action for good, this option is totally unfeasible as well.

Well, I guess this is where you add imagination to Joe. I'm not THAT strict in my Joe-verse (to tell you the truth, GI JOE doesn't even exist in my universe). It wouldn't be the first time I amended filecards, profiles, bios and specifications.

Bottom line is, because of JvC molds, I get screwed out of having a canopy for my gunner. Whether they could have redesigned it to have a canopy I don't know for sure. I think Hasbro thought it would not have been worth the cost. Or maybe they didn't have time because they had to meet a deadline; whatever the case is, we got boned.

Yet, they had plenty o' time to make it Sound-Attack ready, but you gotta applaud them for at least making it easy to take off.

Like I said, overall, I am pretty happy with it. And despite the fixes I had to implement, it was worth the $21.64.

By comparision, it is WAY better than 83% of the JvC vehicles (READ: only the NAC), out there. The RAH vehicle repaints are still far superior in military realism and aesthetically more appealing to the eye (though this is subjective), if not color.

The FANG3? Please...

HISS4? Who are we kidding...

I didn't even have to thinking about passing on these two. Same goes for the Sand Razor and Assault Quad.

And really, it's all said and done and the thing is out. I rather have this Rattler than any and ALL the figures in Wave 1-3 and almost all of the JvC vehicles.

Theres a fine line between adding imagination to something and throwing credability completely out the window.

That red looks just plain BAD, no matter how you slice it. But at least you CAN remove the sound box.

To give credit where its due, I really dont mind it too much. In fact I wouldnt have minded it one bit had they given us a dummy gun for the other side. Maybe I can trade a spare sound box off one of you? I finally dug my broken 97 A-10 jet out of the attic. (GREAT looking toy, but extremely bad plastic.) And borrowed the black gunner ring with dome and black missles to put on the new Rattler. And you know what? It looks good. DAMN good. Just a couple tiny changes and the toys' quality shoots up dramatically.

I just dont get Hasbro. They say they added electronics because kids are supposedly more fickle about toys than we were. Yet they constantly DUMB DOWN the line everywhere else.

If Im overly critical it's because I want the best possible toys for ALL Joe fans, kids and collectors alike. And I know Hasbro can do it. They know they can do better too, judging from the high quality of this years convention exclusive. Bright colors and more sculpting detail are no substitute for quality. It's our right. And we're being denied it. We deserve better, and its high tome Hasbro learned that.

I wouldn't say it was that good. I'd pick haveing just stalker, black snake eyes and scarlet over almost any vehicle.

I have all the vehicles so far cept the rockslide and the brawler, and yeah the assualt quad sucks the worse but at least it wasn't purple as it was planned. (this is why you give people very very specific christmas lists like i need the fang and then add NOT THE QUAD lol)

To give credit where its due, I really dont mind it too much. In fact I wouldnt have minded it one bit had they given us a dummy gun for the other side. Maybe I can trade a spare sound box off one of you?

You would still either need to glue the other gun on or ask Hasbro to customize a new wing for you. The pylon that holds the Sound Attack gun is bigger the the other pylons. Trust me, it's really not worth it to keep it on. The fact that the Sound-Attack tech blocks 2 pylons is enough to make anyone take it off.

And the outer most pylon on the left wing has trouble keep the bomb racks in place. So after removing the Sound Attack Tech, it freed up 2 additional pylons, where I put missiles instead.

And borrowed the black gunner ring with dome and black missles to put on the new Rattler. And you know what? It looks good. DAMN good. Just a couple tiny changes and the toys' quality shoots up dramatically.

In my previous posts on this board, I have said as much. All the little things add up and give a vehicle way more value. Perhaps, with at least the TRU exclusives, the quality can go up a bit more, once Hasbro and TRU sees that RAH figures and molds still sell well, and it's in both their interests to keep the quality up. Sales numbers will tell them, as that is all we can hope for.

If Im overly critical it's because I want the best possible toys for ALL Joe fans, kids and collectors alike. And I know Hasbro can do it. They know they can do better too, judging from the high quality of this years convention exclusive. Bright colors and more sculpting detail are no substitute for quality. It's our right. And we're being denied it. We deserve better, and its high tome Hasbro learned that.

You and me both. BUT, I'll admit that I am more biased towards RAH figures and vehicles. So when they do reissues/repaints of RAH stuff, I am way more forgiving, considering I don't have many RAH vehicles. The figures, I can pick and choose. And even if a figure I want only comes in 2-packs, 5-packs, 6-packs, and 8-packs... it still not that bad considering they are cheaper than JvC 2-packs, overall.

I wouldn't say it was that good.  I'd pick haveing just stalker, black snake eyes and scarlet over almost any vehicle.  

Id pick them too. With RAH proportions and plastic quality. Plastic rivets are for the birds. And maybe I was reaching with damn good. Trying to actually be positive. Still, the quality does improve with but a couple adjustments. I think the original is the best and can never be beat. But the 2002 Rattler with some minor adjustments would make a suitable private plane for Wild Weasel to use as a squadron leader

I have all the vehicles so far cept the rockslide and the brawler, and yeah the assualt quad sucks the worse but at least it wasn't purple as it was planned. (this is why you give people very very specific christmas lists like i need the fang and then add NOT THE QUAD lol)

Id have to say of the 4 Wave 1 vehicles, the Cobra Sub was my fave. It can hold 2 RAH figs fairly well. I actually like the Brawler over the rest of the vehicles. Mainly because Im a huge Hammer fan and the large missle launcher really doesnt bug me all that much. The NAC looks nice, since it's big enough as to not let the Crap Attack electronics interfere with its aesthetics. Nonetheless I wont get it primarily out of space and financial considerations. The FANG had the distinction of being the only pilot figure that Hasbro actually spent some money on modifying. The Quad... Is useless. I cant get anyone to sit on it effectively. Gung-Ho isnt all that impressive. The only good quality is the Sound Tab Machine gun.

The only vehicle of any real interest to me is the Road Rebel (Or whatever its called now) because I like Big Ben as a character and if I can remove that awful launcher I think I can make a nice Neo Armadillo mini-tank out of it, and the Coil bike. Mostly due to the Viper figure (Criminally underpainted as it is.) I may get the one with Grunt, since Im a fan of the original 13