just pilots?

revsears

do you all like to use certain figs as just pilots or drivers? i do but i admit that if i keep getting vehilcles it will realy cut down my force lol.

If they came with a vehicle, they are eternally commited to that vehicle. Cross-Country, Cutter, Wild Weasel or Ace will never join my soldiers in the 'classic' war scenario.

The only three exclusions to my rule are Sgt Slaughter, Overlord and Serpentor, who were characters who came with vehicles.

Tom

If they came with a vehicle, they are eternally commited to that vehicle. Cross-Country, Cutter, Wild  Weasel or Ace will never join my soldiers in the 'classic' war scenario.  

Tom

I gotta disagree here. Look at characters like Wild Bill. He came with a vehicle and I usually have him out on the front lines most of the time. (Especially now, thanks to JvC). There are a lot of other vehicle drivers that are pretty cool too: Clutch, Cover Girl, Copperhead. Vehicle Drivers can actually have a really cool place. For my not so near Dio-story I will be using a very unlikely (and mostly forgotten) vehicle driver in a pretty unique way. I want to use him as a cobra spy who infiltrated G. I. Joe. (I don’t really want to say who it is incase one day I actually make my dio). You just gotta use your imagination.

a thing i've noticed with gvc is no real vehicle drivers. Even when they do include a fig it's probably a repaint and with grunt i can't have him be the driver of that turd wagon!

Typically, I don't assign the packed-in figure as my driver, unless the mold looks good. (IE. Dusty and Night Rhino.)

I like to keep my Joe teams small, so if there was a designated driver for a vehicle, it would take up a seat, which if you think about it, kinda sucks because not many vehicles can hold that many figures anyway (foot pegs DON'T count). BUT, there are designated drivers on my team. Certain Joes that are always the driver of a vehicle. In the cases of land vehicles, for the most part, anyone can drive it, if it was like driving a car; Awe Striker, Desert Striker, and Brawler have real life counterparts, so it just like driving a regular car (well, almost).

Armored vehicles are a little difficult. I thoroughly scan each figures history and profile in all the Filecards, and resource material like Battlefiles. Usually someone has mobile armor driving experience. Luckily, I have Dodger, who is well-versed in armor operation and repair, and is an expert in high-tech, state-of-the-art driving aids and technology.

If not, I just amend the Filecard to include such a skill or speciality.

One of the most important things to me, as far as for pilots of helicopters and jets go, is the look of the character MUST fit one of a pilot. For instance, Wild Bill does NOT look like a chopper pilot. While that hat is signature, it's also inappropriate for a pilot. An ideal helicopter pilot should have a helmet, flight jumpsuit, and a radio or communications device of some sort. Wild Bill has NONE of these things. Just sunglasses, a cowboy hat, and some crazy get-up.

Which is why I've assigned Mirage (Wave 1.5), as my helicopter pilot. Not only does this let me find a use for an extra figure due to my Army Building compunctions, but he sorta meets my personal requirements. He has a communications headset on his head, and a pair of goggles (for your standard nightvision, infrared and thermal vision display). Plus, he's not a bad looking figure, and he green, like the NAC.

To Mirage's Filecard, I've added the Flight Warrant Officer School, and he now carries the rank, WO-3 (Chief Warrant Officer 3).

Besides, I'm not all that impressed with Wave 4's, or any version of, Wild Bill. I did like him in the cartoon though. Plus, I don't have any of his figures, RAH or JvC.

I use RAH Shadow Vipers as old school Fang pilots. Looks great I think.

I try and troop build Motor Vipers, Track Vipers, and WORMS. And between them I am able to man just about all of my Cobra weapons. When it comes to the joes I go with whoever came with the item.

Works for me

V

If they came with a vehicle, they are eternally commited to that vehicle. Cross-Country, Cutter, Wild  Weasel or Ace will never join my soldiers in the 'classic' war scenario.  

Tom

I gotta disagree here. Look at characters like Wild Bill. He came with a vehicle and I usually have him out on the front lines most of the time. (Especially now, thanks to JvC). There are a lot of other vehicle drivers that are pretty cool too: Clutch, Cover Girl, Copperhead. Vehicle Drivers can actually have a really cool place. For my not so near Dio-story I will be using a very unlikely (and mostly forgotten) vehicle driver in a pretty unique way. I want to use him as a cobra spy who infiltrated G. I. Joe. (I don’t really want to say who it is incase one day I actually make my dio). You just gotta use your imagination.

Kamen did you ever read the GIJOE comics?(the old ones)Because how you said that you used Wild Bill in the front lines reminds me on how he had to battle through the jungles with maverick , crazylegs and few dreadnoks because his C130 was shot down when the dreadnoks to him hostage. I forget what number the issue it was but it was pretty good. :)

I admit wild bill looks a bit to cool to be the pilot so i just think is the coolest pilot around. For awhile i had big ben pilot it and he looks like a pilot or comminuctions officer (wich is what he is now) My night rhino is piloted by the flint it came with (i call him clutch) mirage, and a mirage repaint (breaker). I used those names cause there dead and we probaly won't see them again.

For the sandrazor i have dusty driving it and spearhead (1.5 duke) and heavy duty as the desert unit but it just doesn't seem right. Cause when something happens dusty is a desert trooper and there is behind the wheel.