Awesome Joe Innovation: Swivel Wrists & Ankles!!!

commandwolf

I haven't really seen this talked about much, but I think one of the BEST innovations of the new line of GI JOE figures is the new swivel wrists and ankle articulation found on a few of the new figures. It's kinda equivalent of adding the ball joint head or swivel arms back in the day! These 2 features really elevates the 3 3/4" figures to new heights as far as I'm concerned. Big props to Hasbro for not just releasing a new JOE line but trying to improve it as well!!!

I mean, Wave 3 Snake-Eyes and Wave 4 Duke are simply two of the best figures ever released in my humble opinion. I just wish Hasbro would add the new articulated joints it on ALL of their figures, not just one or two. If Hasbro would just put out a Wave 1 Storm Shadow retro-fitted with an O-ring in his original colors and WITH swivel wrists and ankles, then I would be an incredibly HAPPY collector...sigh.

Thoughts, comments?

I don't like the ankle joint that Nunchuck has. The ankle joints like the ones Firefly and Snake Eyes have I can live with. I don't mind the wrist joins, they could actually help guys with the Neo arm work out better, I just worry that the hands will break off. So far it has not happened to me yet.

The wrists and ankle joints are quite thin and thanks to the soft plastic they WILL warp and distort that much faster.

3 3/4" is too small to utilize such joints effectively. The line did quite well without them and would be better off without them too.

I too think they kick ass. The only thing that woulda made the wave 3 SE better is the mid thigh articulation like Firefly has. The wrist joint are rather fragile, but for display purposes, they look good. I can definately see kids having a SE/CC pack-a-week habit cause the wrists broke.

If Hasbro would just put out a Wave 1 Storm Shadow retro-fitted with an O-ring in his original colors and WITH swivel wrists and ankles, then I would be an incredibly HAPPY collector...sigh.    

Thoughts, comments?

I'll be counting the days too :D

For the kids, I think the added articulation is bad because if they're like me (when I was little) I put my figures through rigorous adventures :D

For me as an adult, I like the added articulation. It allows some neat new poses, especially the legs. Also, while I typically agree with the "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" argument, it doesnt apply here. Straight arms werent 'broke', and side-to-side heads weren't either. Improvements are appreciated when done right.

Tom

I can live with the ankle joints, although I really don't prefer them. But I was aggravated to discover my Wave 4 Duke has SKIN colored rivets in his ankle joints! :x And why isn't Ripper's armored kneepads silver like the prototype pics showed? They're the same color as his pants! :roll: I was really looking forward to this wave, but I've been slightly disappointed with the sloppy oversights Hasbro's becoming renowned for. I will say this though; the construction of each figure is very solid (bonus!), and the new sculpt weapons are really cool and detailed; especially Duke and Ripper's rifles. They look like vintage mold weapons! Cool! But yeah, I really don't like those ankle joints, although I can live with 'em. :)

For the kids, I think the added articulation is bad because if they're like me (when I was little) I put my figures through rigorous adventures  :D  

For me as an adult, I like the added articulation. It allows some neat new poses, especially the legs. Also, while I typically agree with the "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" argument, it doesnt apply here. Straight arms werent 'broke', and side-to-side heads weren't either. Improvements are appreciated when done right.  

Tom

Same here! 8)

When thinking of how rough my brother and I were with our Joes, it's a wonder they had any limbs intact. ;)

But now I think the added articulation is awesome, like Tom said, for posing and versatility purposes. Then again, Doc Evil's right... the softer plastic doesn't make it any more durable. Bah... you can't win! :P

I love the wrist articlition but the ankle articulation is great for posing but everytime i go to play with snake eyes it annoys me. He does stay up and stuff but i know that they will get lose and i know how rough i was too. I broke of so many thumbs! I would let a bomb go off near them and throw them across the room into a wall and laugh as the crotch shattered, i was a stupid kid, stupid stupid kid.

For display it's great. But considering how many times I've had hands fall off and such, I can't imagine them lasting very long in the hands of children.

I'm still hooked on the original 3 3/4 line. Although I collect the new ones in order to do my part as a collector trying to sustain the line. I can't fall in love with these guys as hard as I try.

I think they should keep it simpler and make them sturdier.

V

I have to agree with Tom-1 on this issue. I can totally see little kids smashing up the figures if the joints are thinner...but at the same time, as an older collector, I think this innovation is thoroughly and amazingly....cool. The figures look cooler when posed and (if I ever took the time to make a diostory) they would look pretty schweet in a battle scene.

To be frank, I don't see too many sandboxes around anymore in my area...so at least kids 'round nyah won't be losing parts of figures.

The only complaint that I personally have in regards to any of the hands/feet is that one of my Zartan figure's hands popped off as if he were a Gundam figure. It went back in easily though, and there wasn't any damage done.

I don't see myself having to buy any new figures due to the "beat up" factor...and let's be honest. A lot of us broke off thumbs and "groins" of the original line and never replaced those figures...so I doubt that lost hands are gonna stop kids from playing "Firefly flies around room and smashes walls up".