How much did your collection cost you/where's it going?

Tom-1

Hey guys,

I saw the TF forums had an interesting topic so I'm going to steal it and make it our own.

How much, roughly, have you spent on your GI Joe collection?

This goes for the people who only buy or can afford JvC, vitage collectors, miscellaneous items and/or the vehicles.

After a brief assesment of my own collection, I'd say I'm in the $2-3,000 mark. I've got 1983-1987 completed (loose) with mixed figures/years inbetween. I don't collect foriegn figures or novelty items (lunchboxes, soapdishes, party favors ect) I've got a couple dozen Cobra troops and a small number of vehicles. I am however incredibly picky and only buy items in C9 or better condition.

Also, what will you do with your collection in the event of death?

I know you can't really do much with them after you're dead ( :wink:) but I'm leaving them to my sister to sell, and put the money towards my nephew, whatever he may need... This is assuming I die in the next twenty years.

I know it's morbid, but you get very curious at 5 in the AM :lol:

Tom

I just started re-building my Joe collection when JvC came out, but this past august I went nuts with buying stuff. I buy all the JvC waves when I see them except for the trash stuff, (skull buster) but all and all i've hit ebay hard since august. Buying back all the RAH stuff I had when I was little that my step-dad threw out. :evil: All and all I would say I've spent 500 dollars since august. Maybe more, I'm buying stuff every day, it will go up trust me, I just spent 20 bucks on a sonic viper MOC, that I'm going to happily open when I get it. :lol:

that's a great question man, let me see, i have about 300 figures and i would say about 90% are complete with file cards, i have 6 playsets that are complete with two of them is still have the box, i have about 60 vehicles and all of this is from the RAH line. so i would guess i spent about $5,000 on my collection.

in the invent of my death i would leave them to my brother. even though he doesn't collect them anymore he still comes over sometimes and we "play" together like we were still kids,and plus he knows what they mean to me and i know he would carry on the legacy after i'm gone :)

Ok lets see, I only collect stuff that is dead mint. I am putting together a complete collection of every 3 3/4 figure from the start in every variation. They are going in our collectible room at the house. I have been collecting prototypes, test shots, resigns, 2ups, parts on trees and so on and have spent I guess around $5,000 this year on just that kind of stuff, so I guess I am in the 15-$20,000 range for everything so far.

I will leave it to the kid, so he can do as he likes with it along with everything else.

Im a cobra army builder and have about ten of almost every cobra trooper. Ive been back into collecting for almost a year now and have spent about 3 grand on everything. If I died, I would give my collection to a friend of mine who collects only joe figures so that he'll have a kickass army of cobras to go along with his collection of good guys

man i feel inadequate. Well i'm not sure about what all i had when i was kid ( single fig and vehicle remains when i can think of top of my head at least 40 figs i had and 3 vehicles so i'm sure it was porbably worth the same or more than what i have now)

No i have only got the nlc, the nightrhino, a old stormy, the space shuttle (defiant right?) and almost all of gvc and two of each army builder and i know 3 of my christmas presents from my galfreind is the rattler, new fang and the assualt quad (i didn't put on my list, dawm't!) so i've probably got like 400 dollars maybe but i doubt that, it will defniatly grow though and i have huge selection of other figs that set and gather dust in my closet.

Off the top of my head... My whole collection is probably about 15-20K

:o DAAAAMN DUDE!!!! if my mom says it's o.k, can i come over and play?? :)- :)-

I keep everything on card so all my stuff is MOC and has never been opened... So the answer is no...

I wish you didn't ask this question. It just tends to sting a bit.

I'd say that I spent about 5-7K this year. But thats only because I'm trying to regain a lot of lost peices in mint cndition, as well as troop building Crimson Guards and Cobra Soldiers. If I had to put a value on the collection, I'd say about 17,000 - 20,000. I just had to put five large rubbermaid tubs into storage that held a good amount of vechiles that I just couldn't keep out because I ran out of space.

I don't want to think about death, I'm thinking more about retirement. I can see myself having a giant room or actic and spending my golden years just starring at them. After I die I guess I'd leave it up to my wife or kids to do with them as I see fit.

V

I have no idea how much mine is worth.

I have everything from the ARAH line except the JUMP, Viper Glider, Falcon Glider and all the Shadow Ninjas. Plus a buttload of duplicates of figures and vehicles. All of it is Mint or NM. Right now its taling up my attic and two bedrooms. I know I have close to1000 figures, maybe more.

On my next vacation I'll try to figure it up.

If anything happened to me , I'd leave it to my brother. He'd probably continue to add to it.

Right now I plan on keeping it forever and never sell it.

Brand new and all, but I would say my collection cost me only around 5K, but it is worth soooo m uch more to me. I added an extra room to my house just for Joes, and a little star wars. Joes are what I truely love to collect the most. I have around 500 on card, and another 600 loose, and lots of vehicles, playsets and the like. My webside has pictures, finally, www.goblincaves.com/toys/htm if interested.

takku