Lord of the rings, Books or the Movies

rampagetokill2334

the usual rule is the book is always better, or at least the first form it was in.

This goes against that. Tolkein ins't the best writer in the world. For 50 pages he will perfectly and i can't put it down then for 100 pages it actuatly hurts to read the constant useless details! arg,... i have even learned to speed read and these parts still go by so slow,... i quite reading two towers cause off it. But in the hobit this is very minimal and it tis a great book.

He has a great imagination but i loath his longwinded, inconsistant style, and also how he has some major parts of the story just told to the character.

While I think the visuals are captured perfectly by the movie, the characters come nowhere close to the depth they have in the book.

The books are better, but the movies are excellent.

It's hard to give the characters the depth that the books offer since the flicks are already 3 hours long anyway....But I agree - the movies are great :) Saw it again tonight :)

Comparing movies to the books they were based upon is like comparing apples and oranges. A book will always have more details and better characterizations. Even books that were based upon movie screenplays have better characterizations or at least greater detail. Check out the novelization of the Spiderman movie.

If compared to other movies, I think the LOTR stands out far and above most movies of this genre, excluding maybe the Star Wars sextet. Computer animation has been able to replicate in virtual reality what DeMille was able to do on film with people, i.e. have large crowd/battle scenes. These are definitely Nelson B. DeMille-type Epics (Ten Commandments). The detail of Tolkien's World, and his language is what adds a depth to the films and makes them so compelling.

why must one choose? the text of LOTR is brilliant in so many ways. as is the film version. i've read the book something like 6 times, and i loved it more with each reading. i've seen FOTR (film) perhaps 25 times, and i love it more with each viewing. i've only seen TTT thrice now, but dammit, i'll most definitely see it many many many times more.

films and books are two completely different mediums. each thriling in their own regards. as LOTR fans, we are very very fortunate to be given not only an excellent book, but films of profound genius as well.