Anyone Reading Frontlines?

JayC

Just read issue 2 of GIJoe Front Lines from DevilDue and have to say Im really enjoing this series so far. Its very interesteing to see some conection between the Marvel series and the current DD series. I guess it could be a little confusing for those that have never read the Marvel series though. The only error I would like to point out is shouldn't Scarlet during this time be wearing her Ninja Force outfit instead of her orginal one? Actually I guess the same should be said for Snake-Eyes to. Otherwise a great story.

Actually, same should be said for everyone. :wink: Barring The Big Snake himself. Destro is in his IG outfit, which he hadn't wore since his capture in Castle Destro. And Dr. Mindbender is wearing the costume the original did - the one that died. This Doc M is the clone.

I'm guessing Hama just picked whichever costumes he liked the best, because going by continuity, timeline, and costumes it don't make a lick of sense.

Scarlett simply changed back to her original outfit. I see no problem there. Would YOU want to wear that bright yellow eyesore the rest of your life?

Nice to read a REAL GI Joe story written by a master, instead of that comic that's simply GI Joe in name only.

I've read both issues so far and neither one is very memorable. I loved the Marvel run, minus the last 55 issues or so. It just seemes to me that the plot is not really going anywhere. It seems like a random story. Hopefully that will change in the last two issues of Hama's run.

Actually, I'm more excited for #13 of the regular series than Frontline #3.

Yeah right. Blaydork at his best couldnt in his wildest dreams match Hama at his worst. And Frontline is so much better than that so-called Joe comic it's not funny. As was the final 55 issues. Hama did a great job pulling off good stories while being forced to showcase more toys.

You know, I haven't picked up a comic book since GI Joe #10 came out... I'm not a big comic book fan so I don't go to my local shop that often.

What I'm hearing though, is that "Frontlines" isn't a smash. Now, I'm as anti-Blaylock and pro-Hama as the next guy, but from what I read here and there, it could be better. However, I think most of the criticism is from strict comic book fans, and not Joeheads like us :lol: I'd like to get out this week and pick up all the issues I've missed... We'll see.

Personally though, I like the return of the original outfits. I bit bizarre, considering the characters all return to the outfits they havent worn in fifteen years, but welcomed all the same! :D

Tom

And Frontline is so much better than that so-called  Joe comic it's not funny. As was the final 55 issues. Hama did a great job pulling off good stories while being forced to showcase more toys.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the classics of "Star Brigade" (148?), "Eco-Warriors/Headman/Ninja" Triptych (125?), or the excellent stories from Trans-Carpathia, Darklonia and Wolkekuckkuckland (Anything after 120 or so.) Do you need me to find more of this writing caliber?

After issue 120 or so, all the comics blur and seem to be the exact same story. Ther *are* a few gems in there but nothing memorable.

No doubt that Hama did a lot of great work during most of the run, but it gets very painful over the last couple of years.

Oh boy, well my intent on starting this topic wan't really to turn it into a classic series vs new series or a Hama vs Blaylock. It was simply to talk about the current story which so far costumes not withstanding I have enjoyed. I am a huge GIJoe comic fan and loved most of the Marvel run but to be honest I really enjoy the new series as well. Granted the first 4 issues got to a slow start but I think the stories and artwork have really started to come along.

Also I would point out that even if you don't like the current stories you should at least try and give some credit where credit is due. Without Mr. Blaylocks efforts there would be no new GIJoe comic at all so we would have nothing right now. No Hama stories or anything else for that matter. So before you go tring to tear him down or Devil Due you might want to consider that and be at least a little thankfull there is a new GIJoe comic to talk about at all.

Oh boy, well my intent on starting this topic wan't really to turn it into a classic series vs new series or a Hama vs Blaylock. It was simply to talk about the current story which so far costumes not withstanding I have enjoyed. I am a huge GIJoe comic fan and loved most of the Marvel run but to be honest I really enjoy the new series as well. Granted the first 4 issues got to a slow start but I think the stories and artwork have really started to come along.  

Also I would point out that even if you don't like the current stories you should at least try and give some credit where credit is due. Without Mr. Blaylocks efforts there would be no new GIJoe comic at all so we would have nothing right now. No Hama stories or anything else for that matter. So before you go tring to tear him down or Devil Due you might want to consider that and be at least a little thankfull there is a new GIJoe comic to talk about at all.

Wow... Someone who agrees with what I have been saying all along with the whole Kurth & Blaylock suck threads...

They might not be the greatest but they need some credit for relaunching a book most of us love and grew up with...

no but i want to real bad. My shop sold out of frontline the first day! he had 20 copies and this a little shop! man,... was like the hottest book here. He is supposed to be holding me a copy of 2 but i grabbed 12 off the shelve after he forgot to put in so i may not get this either, if so i'll be very mad at the guy, i realy want to read more joe!

"Frontline" as well as the main series, are both great...as for the costumes...I saw it as more creator artistic choice rather than an error..I mean look at more than a FEW of the outfits from 1994 and you could understand..But I'm fairly sure Destro was in his Iron Grenadiers outfit for the last few years of the series, or at least from 117 until the end...although after around 120 or so he started wearing the traditional silver destro mask instead of the gold one, but still kept the Iron Grenadiers outfit.