GI JOE issue #11

Lady Jaye

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

***SPOILERS!!!!***

I love the new artist. Kevin Sharpe is good, real good. He has a nice clean and crisp style reminiscent of the greatest Joe artist Rod Whigham. Everyone in the book is easily reconnizeable. The layout of the book is easy to look at. And the most important thing is that the characters finally don't stand around in these awkward super ##$%$#ed poses, and their faces aren't emanciated or just plain ugly. I for one thank you Mr Sharpe for that.

One of the letters in the book says he is dad to see Kurth go. Ha I know I'm not. He is the worst Joe artist yet. I hope he never gets his hand on anything to do with GI JOE.  

Blaylock's story was pretty good. It was entertaining and fun. The final page definatley leaves me with wanting more, now! If his work continues on this level then he can consider me a fan from now on.  

Bring on issue 12!

What do you guys think?  Agree or disagree?

I agree! 8)

The artwork is soooo much better than Steve Kurth's. I like the words you use: a clean, crisp style. Everyone is easily recognizable, and... well, you said it all! :lol: Kevin Sharpe draws the Joes well, he draws the Cobras well, and he can draw all the changing emotions without totally distorting their faces. :P I thought I was the only one silently (or not so silently ;)) fuming about how Steve Kurth distorted and disfigured all my favorite characters. Wow, that really irritated me. But this new penciller seems great so far! :D Not perfect... but then again, I think it would be impossible to find an artist that I think was perfect... :oops: :P;)

The plot was good too! :D It could be boiled down easily enough: "Everyone's after the crazy BAT", but there's enough action and back-story (you gotta love how Hawk chews out the other general ;)) to make it really good. 8) I certainly hope the DD comic keeps up the good work! :) This was a great issue. Well, I guess I'll find out in a week or so... considering I got issue 11 so late! :lol: :P

On a side note: did everyone else enjoy all the Transformers references as much as I did?! :lol: They were great! ^_^ "Yeah, what's he think he is? A bloomin' Transformer?" And then, Heavy Duty's "Bring it on, Gobot!" was just plain awesome! :lol: There was also a reference to a cool movie from the 80s, called Short Circuit, when Heavy Duty referred to the BAT as "Johnny Five." I wonder if anyone else got that. ;) The little references made the comic all the more enjoyable. 8)

Great stuff! :D

I did cartweels when I heard Kurth was gone! OMG that cover to I think #5 was horrible the way Flint looked on the White House lawn. There were so many examples I could point out.

I did cartweels when I heard Kurth was gone! OMG that cover to I think #5 was horrible the way Flint looked on the White House lawn. There were so many examples I could point out.

That was issue #4 and that cover was done by Campell, not Kurth...

Glad you don't do the writing for G.I. Joe...

That was issue #4 and that cover was done by Campell, not Kurth...

Glad you don't do the writing for G.I. Joe...

Like I said it sucked and I didn't even want to bother looking at the book for the artist because most of the inside was horrible, I think Flint was black in one of the issues. I know being at war with Cobra all those years can put you through changes, but not like that. If you like I can point out many other examples of Kurth's horrific art. Glad you don't do the hiring and firing for Devil's Due or Kurth might still be there.

Like I said it sucked and I didn't even want to bother looking at the cover for the issue #. Notice how I wrote "I think #5." Glad you don't do the hiring for Devil's Due or Kurth might still be there.

Kurth is now working for Dreamwaves I believe doing Micronauts and lot would consider DW being a better place to work for then DD...

I will say Kurth can probably do Joes better than you can...

Like I said it sucked and I didn't even want to bother looking at the cover for the issue #. Notice how I wrote "I think #5." Glad you don't do the hiring for Devil's Due or Kurth might still be there.

Kurth is now working for Dreamwaves I believe doing Micronauts and lot would consider DW being a better place to work for then DD...

I will say Kurth can probably do Joes better than you can...

First of all I'm glad he's doing Micronauts. I hope he stays there because I'm not a Micornaut fan. Second, I could give 2 f*cks if he's a better artist than me because I never did like drawing, so it makes no sense for someone to cry "well you can't do better." Yeah I'm an artist! A Martial Artist that is! But you don't see me saying "well I bet I could kick Kurth's ass." That would be kind of lame. You follow me?

First of all I'm glad he's doing Micronauts. I hope he stays there because I'm not a Micornaut fan. Second, I could give 2 f*cks if he's a better artist than me because I never did like drawing, so it makes no sense for someone to cry "well you can't do better." Yeah I'm an artist! A Martial Artist that is! But you don't see me saying "well I bet I could kick Kurth's ass." That would be kind of lame. You follow me?

I'm just sick and tired of people ripping on Kurth saying he sucks and all this jazz and for some reason... The new Joe book has been in the top #10 selling comics every month for the past 12 issues and Kurth drew for the first 10 issues...

What are people doing... Buying the comic just to see how bad the guy draws? That is stupid in my opinion and his art doesn't suck that bad cause he is doing and getting to do what a million other people would like to be doing but never got the chance so he must be doing something right...

It's like the figures... This isn't the 80's anymore and Hama and Marvel isn't doing the book anymore so why do people want to keep thinking thats how the book should be?

You say your a martial artist and hundreds of people can say you suck but they keep going to your matches to watch your compete... Sounds strange doesn't it...

First of all I'm glad he's doing Micronauts. I hope he stays there because I'm not a Micornaut fan. Second, I could give 2 f*cks if he's a better artist than me because I never did like drawing, so it makes no sense for someone to cry "well you can't do better." Yeah I'm an artist! A  Martial Artist that is! But you don't see me saying "well I bet I could kick Kurth's ass." That would be kind of lame. You follow me?

I'm just sick and tired of people ripping on Kurth saying he sucks and all this jazz and for some reason... The new Joe book has been in the top #10 selling comics every month for the past 12 issues and Kurth drew for the first 10 issues...

What are people doing... Buying the comic just to see how bad the guy draws? That is stupid in my opinion and his art doesn't suck that bad cause he is doing and getting to do what a million other people would like to be doing but never got the chance so he must be doing something right...

It's like the figures... This isn't the 80's anymore and Hama and Marvel isn't doing the book anymore so why do people want to keep thinking thats how the book should be?

You say your a martial artist and hundreds of people can say you suck but they keep going to your matches to watch your compete... Sounds strange doesn't it...

Everyone has their own opinion and I know the art sucked by Kurth. Just because the book is selling doesn't mean its awesome. I still buy the book because I'm hoping it gets better and so are thousands like me. But then you have some people who think he was a real picasso and they buy it as well.

As far as people who'd say I suck in MA. That's totally different. There is always someone better so if a guy beat me and said I sucked I guess I did suck. To him at least.

I just can't stand Steve Kurth. I can't really have respect for a guy who doesn't even know his basic human body proportions.

And I feel like backing this up with examples, so people don't think I'm pulling all this out of my butt, or being too demanding, or just being an bitter, opinionated old fart or something...

doydoybeachhead.jpg

Anyone who's taken a basic drawing course knows that you do not draw heads that wide. The unofficial rule is "A head is five eyes wide." That pic makes Beach Head look like a beach ball. Crazy.

doydoywetsuit.jpg

More proportion issues... Wet-Suit's big head and giant legs make him look like a midget.

I will admit... I also don't like his style. That's my subjective opinion.

doydoyscarlett.jpg

Scarlett... in rehab! :P

But the whole "style" facotr is something that can be argued. The whole proportions thing, and the fact that the characters are not drawn consistantly, can be proven.

And for the icing on the cake...

duhtomax.jpg

That, ladies and gents, is good ol' Tomax. Um... yeah. :-? There's plenty more where that came from.

Okay... I'm done.

Beach Head... Do you enjoy anything? Anything at all. You hate the JvC figures, you hate Kurth, and it seems like the comic all together.. What more do you want from GI Joe..? JvC is a great line. And the Comic is a nice one. Kurth, was not the best of artists.. But he was good. The new artist, granted, is better... But don't disrespect Kurth. I'm hoping to go to art school in two years, I want to try and become a penciler.. it's been a dream and I know it won't be easy.. But I would hope that if I make it, people at least respect me for working hard at what I do..

Okay, little disclaimer here...

I'm not trying to bash any of you who actually like Kurth's work, I'm just proving why I don't. I don't mean to incite any flame wars or anything. :oops: Just backing up my words...

Samus...

The picture with Beach-Head is drawn the right way cause you are supposed to look at it from an upward angle so it's going to look bigger...

In all my years of seing Beach Head drawn, his face was never eershaped like that even when looking up. He has a totally different facial structure than what is shown there. In real life there are peple with Pit Bull heads like seen there, but Beach Head's head was never drawn like that till that.

I also look at the aspect of these characters are also 10+ years older... Peoples looks change over a certain amount of years...

People's heads don't get that wide though espceilly someone like Beach Head who keeps himself in top shape. I'm 29 and I cn glady say that my face has not changed much over the years.

the art wasn't the best but it wasn't that bad. I have to agree wit outsiders and also tomax looks indistinct like he is far away, maybe he was supposed to be i don't the whole panel.

I also look at the aspect of these characters are also 10+ years older... Peoples looks change over a certain amount of years...

People's heads don't get that wide though espceilly someone like Beach Head who keeps himself in top shape. I'm 29 and I cn glady say that my face has not changed much over the years.

Sure he can keep himself in shape but take someone like Arnold... Take a look at the guy when he was 20 and then when he was 40 and you can see how much he has changed...

Sure he can keep himself in shape but take someone like Arnold... Take a look at the guy when he was 20 and then when he was 40 and you can see how much he has changed...

Yeah well Arnold is the perfect example of someone with a wide facial structure as opposed to the way Beach Head normally is. Even at age 20 Arnold had that wide face with muscles too. Like the dreadnok "Roadpig" who has a similar type shape face as Arnold and is another good example. Beach Head never ever looked like that.

This is true about Beach Head but you gotta remember... You can have 10 different people draw Beach Head and you will get 10 different draws but they will all still be Beach Head...

Compare it to Beachhead's avatar...

doydoybeachhead.jpg . BeachHeadicon.gif

Even if you're looking from somebody at an upward angle, that shouldn't make their face wider. The proportions to the right are much more accurate... :-?

I see what you're trying to say... the 'upward angle' shot to the left should have some foreshortening. This is true, but it's still out of proportion. I'm especially talking about the left side of his head when you look at the picture. It's just not correct. The result it a very strange-looking Beachhead.

The shot to the right is straight-on vertically, but his head is angled a little to the side, making for a slight 3/4 shot. Hence the green fabric to the left of his head. The facial features of the left shot are drawn to suggest a straight-on view, horizontally. In that respect, his face is just too wide.