Post your favorite childhood GI JOE memories!

Lady Jaye

For you guys that grew up with the original line, was one of your best memories from collecting the figures and ships? Was it that one special birthday or christmas? Tell us your best chilhood memories!

I dont think i have a single memory stored of collecting any Joes from childhood, or ever even buying one or getting one at Christmas or something. I was born and bred MOTU, and i do recall getting some of that Sectaurs stuff [got pics even], but here is my GI joe memories:

at some point, probly around 9 or 10 years old, maybe a few years younger, i discoverd my older brothers small collection of GI Joes. i had [and still have] quite a decent imagination and once i saw how these little guys had good articulation perfect for posing and stuff, it was on.

i was soon crouched by my bedside almost every night, planning out all sorts of adventures with my Joes, mostly using the Crystal Ball figure. [i think i only had about 6 or 7 Joes to choose from]. i also remember having Ace, Tomax and Xamot, but thats about it. influenced by shows and movies like MacGuyver and Indiana Jones, i made up my own adventures.

Then all the joes got sold at a yard sale and life sucks.

My favorite and most exciting story is probably the one about my 11th birthday, and it's boringly simplistic: my brother came into my room and handed me the new Snake-Eyes and some new guy called Shipwreck for my birthday. I was so estatic! I didn't even know there were new G.I. Joe figures out yet! And yet here is this new, awesome version of my favorite Joe, along with a new cool Joe I had never seen.

My second favorite G.I. Joe memory is Christmas of '88 when I got so many new G.I. Joe toys. My brother was a big fan of my stuff and had talked Mom and Dad into getting me a whole slew of figures and vehicles. I recall getting the Rolling Thunder, the Dreadnok Cycle, and the Mean Dog, but I don't remember what else. But anyway, my brother had told me in advance what I was getting :wink: and he said I was supposed to get the Phantom X-19 Stealth Fighter, but I didn't. But what I did get I remember going nuts over it. Me and my younger brother staged this huge battle in our rooms that afternoon with all my old and new stuff, and it was the coolest. A year later however, I had decided I was getting too old for it all and stored it all away in the attic, where it would progressively ruin for the next decade. :cry:

i've got a million joe memories and you'll probably be hearing more from me on this post . i would have to say my best memory would have to be when i got my first duke. i had got a couple of joes before my mother bought me duke but i had nobody to lead them, i also didn't have cobra commander but atleast i had destro to lead cobra. i use to pretend that the old soldier hawk was duke because he had blond hair but he just looked so wimpy. one day we went to the local corner store named poochies and there he was for $2.99!! i must have went crazy! i begged my mother to buy him and i promised i would do anything if she would buy him for me,dude,if the devil would have showed up at that moment i probably would have been the first kid to sale his soul!! :lol: so after begging for about 5 minutes she gave in and bought him for me and it was like my life as a kid was finally completed. every game and battle i played duke was in it, he always was the one to rescue captured joes, stop the missle count downs, or just plain save the day. duke has killed and beat up more cobras than all my combine joes , he's even kicked a few joes' butts as well when ever they were under a cobra mind machine :lol: duke forever will be my favorite g.i joe no matter who comes along or who they create to lead them , duke will always be #1 in

my book. :wink:

The year the Training Tower for the Adventure Team set came out, and I spied it..uhh..OKAY, I snooped around and FOUND IT, stashed in the attic about 3 weeks before Christmas, and couldn't hardly contain myself till Xmas morning (couldn't sleep a wink Xmas eve) and once we gathered around the tree to open our presents, I just knew what that big huge box was in the corner, and was DYING! :D

I was just as thrilled when opening it, had I not cheated beforehand, and found it where hidden, plus I received several other AT sets to go along with it, plus a couple extra figures "w/gung-fu grip & lifelike hair & beard".

I wish I could scan the photo of me kneeling next to my PRIZED Joe goodies from that Christmas morning (wearing bell bottom corduroy calico colored pants :o...hey, it was the early 70's!)

I know this is the wrong era, or wrong line of G.I.Joes, but THAT"S my "childhood memories" of G.I.Joe heaven! :D

Well I did say "your" childhood GI JOE memories! :D If it happens to be memories of the oriiginal Joe line, cool. But be careful or you'll date yourself and give up how old you really are!!! :lol: At first I was confused to what set you were talking about. I figured it must have been one of the 90's playsets? Boy was I wrong.

Great stories guys. And keep em coming, if you have more, then post more of your beloved memories. Give us all the stories you got Chazz!! :lol:

One of my memories that I've had in all of the toy lines I collected is looking at the back of the packages and the cool catalogs that came with the ships. I read those everyday. I wanted to see what was out that I wanted. And even though I knew what was out that year I still looked at them all the time. I wore out most of my catalogs. I also used to keep the packages, cause I didn't want to cut out the file cards. So I used to look at those everday too, even though I had most of the figures! :lol: I only have one of the 84 catalogs. It was starting to tear up so I had it lamenated. I also ahve several 87 catalogs. But the one I really want are the b86 catalogs, I wore every sigle one out! :cry: Mabey I'll find one some day!

Anyways keep your great memories coming!!!

(wearing bell bottom corduroy calico colored pants  :o...hey, it was the early 70's!)  :D

ya know what VH, i saw a guy wearing that same outfit the other day! i think its back. :o lord help us!

anyway my best childhood memory of joe was my birthday 1983 i got my first gijoe toy :D the V.A.M.P w/clutch. before this time i had a bunch of fisher price adventure people and clutch and the vamp blew them all away! and even better was my birthday bieng in DEC. 3 weeks later at christmas i got all joes and cobras :)- that year!! weeehooo...santa clause was on his game that year!! no socks and underware at all :wink:

TM

Well I did say "your" childhood GI JOE memories!  :D  If it happens to be memories of the oriiginal Joe line, cool. But be careful or you'll date yourself and give up how old you really are!!! :lol:  At first I was confused to what set you were talking about. I figured it must have been one of the 90's playsets? Boy was I wrong.

Oh, I don't think my age is any mystery to this group! :lol: The mystery might be more in WHAT I'm doing here at all, as I should probably be posting in the 12" forums. But my interests have always been in the RAH Joes, and that's were my collection days began in ' 82. I've got a small collection of 12" figures and sets and like the new AT sets I'm seeing, as well as the JvC 12" figs, but my heart & ethusiasm belongs to the little Joes (is "little Joes" politically incorrect? 8) ) I mean the 3 3/4" bad boys of Joedom! They house the greatest of personalities anyway..right?

The mystery might be more in WHAT I'm doing here at all, as I should probably be posting in the 12" forums.

Why is that? 12" Joes are dull and devoid of personality.

And what the F is up with people thinking because they're older they don't belong in a younger crowd or they should cease their hobby? This isn't necessarily related to VH, just people in general.

Does putting away one of the little things that make you happy in life then make you a better person? Heh, I think not. Just do what you like and like what you do, and don't get any old people juices on me @-@

I'm in the last couple years of my teens, and if I could make it through High School with people knowing I was still into ancient cartoons and toys, I can make it through the rest of this miserable coil :wink:

Tom

The mystery might be more in WHAT I'm doing here at all, as I should probably be posting in the 12" forums.

Why is that? 12" Joes are dull and devoid of personality.

Actually, the comment was suggesting the kind of "thought" I'd assumed you all would possibly have to my presence here and the liking of the ARAH toys, seeing how I didn't grow up with them like most of you folks did. I wasn't questioning my OWN presence here, as i know why it is, I think the toys are awesome, and the big kid in me wants to have them..ALL! :D

And what the F is up with people thinking because they're older they don't belong in a younger crowd or they should cease their hobby? This isn't necessarily related to VH, just people in general.

Who else could there be? 8) Hopefully I haven't presented myself in such a way, as I look at these forums as a way to learn MORE about the toys and their backgrounds that I'd never picked-up on before, and enjoy the discussions (even some of the more heated ones) very much.

Does putting away one of the little things that make you happy in life  then make you a better person? Heh, I think not. Just do what you like and like what you do, and don't get any old people juices on me  @-@

Ewwww...I'm not that OLD yet! At least not old enough to start melting and secreting "old people juices"! :lol:

I'm in the last couple years of my teens, and if I could make it through High School with people knowing I was still into ancient cartoons and toys, I can make it through the rest of this miserable coil  :wink:

ATTA BOY!! :wink:

My most vivid memory comes from about age 5. My dad went to the Indy 500 and returned with a Wet-Suit figure, the figure I'd been looking to find for months. He told me of a heaven-sent toy store with an entire aisle dedicated to GI Joe. Living in this hell-hole in Iowa, I have never seen anything like that, except for The Phantom Menace's toy release.

My second memory involves recieving the Night Raven for Christmas, and breaking the damn landing gear the next day. I also got Serpentor, my second favorite figure, next to Wet-Suit.

Surprisingly, I still have most of my Joes, but I remember my white-trash neighbors stealing my beloved Wet-Suit. :( They also stole Leatherneck, Gung-Ho in dress unifrom, and my Devilfish. So, for payback, I stole my stuff back, sans Wet-Suit, and took a hooded CC in his place.

Earlier this year, I finally replaced that Wet-Suit figure when my local comic shop started carrying Joes. I've spent loads of money there since January. Ah, to be a kid again...

I'm in the last couple years of my teens, and if I could make it through High School with people knowing I was still into ancient cartoons and toys, I can make it through the rest of this miserable coil :wink:

Dude, that's like my mantra! :lol:

Anyway... my favorite childhood memory was of me and my older brother, and how we'd call each other Tomax and Xamot because we were so alike. ;) Kinda creepy, lately we've been able to finish each other sentences and speak in unison at times because we know each other so well. So needless to say, we've started calling each other that again, for kicks! :lol: (I was Xamot and he was Tomax... for the record, does anyone know which of the Crimson Twins is the older one? ;)). Yeah, very fond memories. 8)

Now if we were discussing recent Joe memories, I could go into detail about what my 2 best friends did to my 12" Dusty just to piss me off... they certainly found very creative ways to get under my skin. ;) Making him sashay around my room in a Kleenex dress and worse... But wait, those memories aren't exactly fond either... while they are amusing to think about... so never mind! ;) :lol:

I have too many fond memories to list but I was thinking about them and remembered a funny time when something happened. I know some people get pretty desperate for figures they are missing but this time was just sad.

It was around 1995-1997, my memory is a little foggy. I was walking down the alley behind my house, going to school or just out wandering some afternoon. I see something odd on the ground so I go for a closer look. I was always finding roadkill back then and would stare at it for a long time, something I was fascinated by when I was little.

Anyway, I see Snow Job on the ground. I was so exited, I had never had a figure of him before. He may have been the only figure at that time I was missing. Remember that back then in the day there was no internet or much of anyway to get things you were missing.

So, I find this Sow Job abandoned, I wanted him so bad.

The bad part, He was in a big pile of dog crap :(

I don't know how it got there. Maybe a dog actually ate him. I decided it was just too gross so I left it. Later that day it was gone. Perhaps somebody wanted it more. Maybe another dog happened along it and ate him up again.

It will always remain a mystery.

So, I find this Snow Job abandoned, I wanted him so bad.

The bad part, He was in a big pile of dog crap :(

I don't know how it got there. Maybe a dog actually ate him. I decided it was just too gross so I left it. Later that day it was gone. Perhaps somebody wanted it more. Maybe another dog happened along it and ate him up again.

It will always remain a mystery.

:o

LMAO!!!!!!

This is definately the funniest thing I have ever read on this board... oh man, that's so hilarious!!! :lol: Did you get the urge to take it anyway, just for a second? Oh, the irony! :P :lol: I wonder where it went. :lol: Oh geez, this is going to keep me up laughing. Goodnight everybody! ;)

My second memory involves recieving the Night Raven for Christmas, and breaking the damn landing gear the next day.

doesn't that suck!! :evil: one of my best memories and worst was all rolled into one on the same day. it was the day i got my first zartan. i remember the commercial still to this day saying how he changed color in the sun, something that was unheard of to me and any kid in my neighborhood. but what the commercial failed to explain that zartan changed color because of the solar rays and NOT because of heat! anyways, my dad got him for me and he brought home at NIGHT and i had all my friends over ,we kept putting the chameleon apart and back together again ,putting his mask on and taking his breast and knee shields off , just going crazy with him. i was the only kid in my neighborhood that had him!

but than i wanted to show off , i couldn't wait until the sun came up , i had to show evrybody how he could change colors. well remember the thing about solar rays and heat, well i came up with the dumb idea to hold my precious brand smacking new zartan over the stove thinking the heat would make him change colors. well he changed colors alright , burnt black! :cry: who knew plasatic melt so damn fast! :cry: before i knew it one side of his face was melted and burnt as i stood there in horror! i could fell this kid named nick who i knew was jealous of my zartan smiling in the inside. i think the only reason i didn't burst into tears was because my friends were there.my big brother tried to scrape the burnt plastic off his face but there was no hope for him. :cry:

two days later i got over it and played with him anyway, i just pretended it was i diguise of a helpless burnt victim to get him inside the joe base. yep, nothing is a match for a kid with a great imagination :wink: