Anyone read Frontline #1 yet

JayC

I just finished reading it and thought it was pretty good. Had the feel of a cartoon episode which is a good thing IMO. The art was also pretty good. It will be interesting how it plays out but so far I would highly reccomend this mini-series. Its nice to see the chracter back in their old looks to. Gives you that old nastalgia feel.

The DD series lost my interest a long time ago. However, I did pick up the first issue of Frontline. It was decent enough and I'll certainly buy at least the next issue to see what happens. I like the jargon used and the references to old Marvel series were welcome. The only part I found unforgiveable was that Dr. Mindbender was back in his '86 form. If he doesn't appear as the '93 Mindbender, then there's no way he will ever be able to appear in his '95 form. One of my great hopes for this series was that it would, at some point and time, showcase the Battle Rangers with the looks many of them were intended to have. Alas, it does not appear that is going to happen....

Still, it was a good read a story I would recommend to any Joe fan.

I read it. It was not bad. Not great either. i aws hopping since it somewhat left off after the old series that everyone would be in outfits that they were last seen in. It looked as though they were all in thier original outfits though. It aws cool to see the three original Dreadnoks with Zartan again. And nice to see Gung-Ho's chest tatoo, it seems to always be covered these days.

i just picked it up on my way home from work today. and it is Awsome!! :) i didnt know there were going to be 2 cover though i thought i was getting 2 different comics at first then i relized it was the same and i got both anyway :wink: with the art and the writing this feels like an old marvel book only no letters from "lone wolf" or shamless attempts for a "noprize" :wink: in the back :o:)

a very good read pick it up if ya can! i cant wait for the other 3 issues to come out. of course i'll still get the regular image gijoe comic. cause it rocks! 8)

that is all

Toiletmonkey

i bot this yesterday also [had to reward myself---i turned 24!]. i was stunned to see it on the shelves, for i had no idea it was coming. it looked like it had that old feel to it so i nabbed it. havent read it yet tho.

thanks outsiders....

i read this one over the weekend. pretty good read. at first it starts a bit slow but i think it will turn out to be a good miniseries.

I got frontline #1 last week and loved it... I dont exactly remember where the old comic left off, so uniforms and everything else is irrellevant to me. But I loved the story, and the art, and found it a great read.

I got battle Files #3 a while back and found it to be a real stinker. Sorely dissapointed. Their choice of vehicle and weapon selection was unforgivable. Of course you got a plug for every new vehicle coming out, That didnt suprise me, but even their choices for vintage vehicles to cover was poor and disturbing if you ask me.

I got frontline #1 the other day and I found it enjoyable... Of corse I never read the comics in the eighties so all the little mistakes didn't really bother me, but the story was okay.

why is destros head gold colored in this comic? did he under go a head color operation of some kind? it looked cool tho.

Hama did not live up to all his hype. I was going to decide wheather or not to buy some of the old comics by the Frontline issues, and as of now, I won't be wasting my money on the old comics. But then again, you are all Blaylock haters. Oh, and the art was complete crap too.

Nik

I'm afraid I have to agree with Nik, the artist is only good with the right inker (Thibert and Nowlan make his art shine) and this wasn't it!!! The ending was incredibly bad. It looks like they suddenly ran out of room!!! The issue just seemed rushed to me, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. Hopefully it will get better.

Hama did not live up to all his hype. I was going to decide wheather or not to buy some of the old comics by the Frontline issues, and as of now, I won't be wasting my money on the old comics. But then again, you are all Blaylock haters. Oh, and the art was complete crap too.

Nik

????..You come across as being suspiciously PRO anything NEW, and ANTI anything OLD! Is it sour grapes from reading too much of some of the negative reactions to the JvC line and the DD comics (that you like) and you're dissing EVERYTHING pre JvC & DD comics, out of spite? 8)

Hmmmm...I..thinks..me..has..you..pegged! :lol:

If not, then...."nevermind!" @-@

Yeah, I thought the artwork was absolutely awful as well. Seems they're trying too desperately to match the flavor of the old cartoon and comic, but c'mon!!! Comic book techniques have improved with technology over the years, so if you're going to compete with the "big dogs," bring out the big GUNS!!!

I hate it when artists use "cheat" methods, like if you notice how MORE awful the background characters are drawn, they might as well not even freaking be there. The colors were drab as well, and the layouts were clunky and didn't provide a smooth eye flow.

As for the story, it's OK, but I wish they'd have let Hama do the "Reinstated" DD series from the get-go, since the Frontline book seems dated and irrelevant. I think Hama would have handled the return quite a bit better than Blaylock (provided he let certain sleeping dogs lie) and in closing, why can't G.I. Joe ever get a GOOD FREAKING ARTIST????!!!!! HELLO??!!!!!

????..You come across as being suspiciously PRO anything NEW, and ANTI anything OLD!  Is it sour grapes from reading too much of some of the negative reactions to the JvC line and the DD comics (that you like) and you're dissing EVERYTHING pre JvC & DD comics, out of spite?   8)  

Hmmmm...I..thinks..me..has..you..pegged!   :lol:  

If not, then...."nevermind!"  @-@

Not quite. I'm dissing a new product here. I was very excited about Frontline and am extremely disappointed. The first time I ripped into Reinstated, I was mesmerized, and the new series hasn't lost that touch. Not perfect, but first issue vs first issue, Reinstate ate Frontline alive. I will continue to buy the Frontline stories in hopes it will improve. I also really like many of the RAH figures. I just don't have any. But I will stand to this: I'll take any wave 1 figure over a none posable straight arm 1982 figure any day of the week. (I have 2 straight arms, one cobra trooper, and one cobra officer, both my brothers and both in pretty bad condition from play, and I really dislike their straight arms). In fact, as soon as I get some money, I'll be buying the RAHC with my extra money. Believe me, I've been scouring ebay for deals on MOC, MIB figs/vehicles. Yeah, I'll be opening them, but no telling where loose things have been! Will I try to get any of the old comics? Possibly, but if they are anything like the first Frontline, I'll pass. Also I love several of the RAH repaints released in JVC line.

P.S. By reading this board, DD, and Savage, it seems it is pretty split between either liking or hating Frontline. Did I mention I love the cartoon?

Nik

btw is that snake eyes sitting next to scarlett in the vehicle with his mask off??? i thot he NEVER Takes his mask off.

I also really like many of the RAH figures. I just don't have any. But I will stand to this: I'll take any wave 1 figure over a none posable straight arm 1982 figure any day of the week. (I have 2 straight arms, one cobra trooper, and one cobra officer, both my brothers and both in pretty bad condition from play, and I really dislike their straight arms).

Oh, I agree with that sentiment easy enough. I think the original lineup of Joe figures from the straight arm era, were fantastic in character, but weak in articualation. That can only be said NOW however, due to what eventually transpired with them, and all the improvements that took place over the following years. I liked the 90's Joes quite well, with some of the more buff & muscular sculpts and facial expressions they were experimenting with towards the end, added to a few. Color schemes ruined alot of it for me though, this is a big pet peve of mine, and an attention to detail (or lack of) I can't ignore many times.

In fact, as soon as I get some money, I'll be buying the RAHC with my extra money. Believe me, I've been scouring ebay for deals on MOC, MIB figs/vehicles. Yeah, I'll be opening them, but no telling where loose things have been! Will I try to get any of the old comics? Possibly, but if they are anything like the first Frontline, I'll pass. Also I love several of the RAH repaints released in JVC line.

I'm just foolin' with ya anyway Nik. 8) I noticed a couple of posts, where people were complaining about Beach Heads legs or something, and your only response was..

"my BH is just fine!"

or someone said their Flint couldn't hold his weapon right, and your response again was..

"my Flint holds his gun just fine!"

I was starting to get a chuckle out of it's "simplicity" I guess, all the while questioning your alterior motives..? :wink:

P.S. By reading this board, DD, and Savage, it seems it is pretty split between either liking or hating Frontline. Did I mention I love the cartoon?

I don't know what the "Frontline" is, so I'm definitely out of the critique potential there. I've no MAJOR opinions to speak of, when it comes to comic books and cartoons about G.I.Joe, and I tend to except them for nothing more than additional "neat" stories about my favorite toy action figure collection. Heck, I even like the comic in the 2-packs now (I see the second edition is coming soon!)

I do know a slight bit MORE about the cartoons though, as I seen a few of those, and even bought the movie version, and liked it very much. I still wouldn't know what to really criticize about either medium though..it ALL seems pretty cool.

My Beachheads legs really are fine. The feet don't angle in any at all. Okay, maybe a tad but not more so than any other figure. And Flint really does hold his gun fine, maybe I'm using a differant gone...

@-@ Nik

My Beachheads legs really are fine. The feet don't angle in any at all. Okay, maybe a tad but not more so than any other figure. And Flint really does hold his gun fine, maybe I'm using a differant gone...

@-@ Nik

Okay..THAT'S IT! You've got connections, and they're sending YOU the quality stuff and not ME! :lol:

I just finished reading "Frontlines" #1 today, and I thought it was pretty good; not great, but good. Back when G.I. Joe started making it's comeback to comics, I kept going over and over in my mind who would make a great artist for a G.I. Joe comic these days. One of the names that came to mind was Dan Jurgens. So needless to say when I first read about "Frontlines" coming out with Hama AND Jurgens behind the wheel, I was estatic! I just used to love his work on Superman, and I thought his clasical style for antomy and facial expressions would translate well to G.I. Joe characters. And I was totally right; BUT...I also felt like some panels in the comic seemed rushed. Some were very good; classic Jurgens (I LOVE his interpretations of the Joes and Cobras, especially Gung-Ho), and others were so-so, and some seemed void of detail at all. But overall I love Jurgens' take on G.I. Joe, and I love the fact that Hama is writing Joe comics again. Overall "Frontlines" #1 is a good book, and I can't wait for #2!

P.S. I'd love to see Jim Lee and/or Whilce Portacio take on art chores for a G.I. Joe book. Hey, Lee did a cover for Thundercats #2! That's a step in the right direction; right? :D

Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, J. Scott Campbell, Bryan Hitch, Marc Silvestri . . . heck, just about any of the "big names" would be better than the crap in the first issue. The inks and colors were lackluster, too, though, so let's not let them off the hook . . .

But, I guess it's a toss-up: crappy art and the books come out on time, or the opposite . . .