Jon and Karl Hartman Fired from Botcon?

OFP2002

Are you happy with how 3H Productions has handled the Unicron situation?  

1. 1. Are you happy with how 3H Productions has handled the Unicron situation?

• YES
    • NO

"The rumors are completely untrue­ Jon and Karl were NOT fired (how do you fire founders anyway?). It is true there has been some restructuring, but Jon and Karl will always be involved in EVERY BotCon event. I went to AmericanDream's site and it saddens me how quick everyone is to inflate a rumour. It also saddens me to see everyone's low opinion of myself when I kill myself with Jon and Karl every year making BotCon the way it is for the fans.

Once I get this Unicron mess sorted, I'll giev out some more info, OK?

Glen"

It's been brought up elsewhere that there might be a reasonable and obvious reason for the restructuring that Glen mentions. At Botcon 2002, 3H announced that they had gotten Hasbro's blessing to start up an ambitious new fan club. It seems possible, even likely, that the restructuring is a matter of assigning fan club and convention duties to the 3H members who are most interested in handling each. Maybe Glen will be handling one project while the Hartmans handle the other.

Bear in mind that my post is pure speculation, and not based on any "inside information" whatsoever. My only point is that there are plenty of perfectly good explanations for this restructuring that don't have to involve anybody getting screwed out of anything.

One more point before I'm done. If Glen Hallit were really the moustache-twirling villain he's apparently supposed to be, wouldn't he have some sort of explanation ready for when his nefarious plot was exposed? What I'm seeing in Glen's response is a guy who honestly didn't see this coming, and who's been caught off guard by this vicious rumor.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To ALL OF YOU who have already written this off as a Rumor let me say this. Go to Transfandom.com later this week and see for yourself.

One more major point. Since 1997, all email and registration info was handled out of Ft. Wayne where the Hartman's live. I know that this was the main area of the Hartman's responsibility. I noticed a couple of months ago that everything now goes through Rochester, where Glen lives.

Regardless, through a series of events I believe this to no longer be a rumor but a fact and when confirmed it will be quite the story!

To ALL OF YOU who have already written this off as a Rumor let me say this. Go to Transfandom.com later this week and see for yourself.

One more major point. Since 1997, all email and registration info was handled out of Ft. Wayne where the Hartman's live. I know that this was the main area of the Hartman's responsibility. I noticed a couple of months ago that everything now goes through Rochester, where Glen lives.

Regardless, through a series of events I believe this to no longer be a rumor but a fact and when confirmed it will be quite the story!

To Tjmd and Charles. The following point was brought up earlier:

"I've heard just about the same thing. I have a close friend who is privy to alot of important info, and when I saw this post, I gave him a call. He's confirmed everything that OFP is saying. Hard Hero is damn pissed about this Unicron thing. Basically 3H owes Hard Hero a whole lotta money for the statues. And since the amount hasn't been paid, they terminated the contract they had with 3H. Now they are shipping the remaining statues out to other retailers (Big Bad Toy Store, Action Figure Xpress) so people can get the staues. Also 3H has been gouging the shipping prices for the statues they were selling."

Hard Hero fulfilled there part, Glen flaked on his part. Hard Hero terminated the contract because of 3H's failure to pay the money owed to them, the money everybody sent in for the statue. My question is this. Where exactly did all of the money go if not straight to Hard Hero? Answer that for me.

To Tjmd and Charles. The following point was brought up earlier:

"I've heard just about the same thing. I have a close friend who is privy to alot of important info, and when I saw this post, I gave him a call.

Ooh. Some guy from the fandom is claiming to have inside sources, and is using these sources to attack good people. Gee, we've never seen THAT before in this fandom. Gee, it's not as if every single person who's tried this lame tactic in the past has eventually been exposed as a fraud.

Hard Hero fulfilled there part, Glen flaked on his part.

So I suppose we should just ignore the part where Hard Hero failed to deliver the statues until a FULL MONTH after they were needed? And the part where 3H couldn't possibly meet their quota of buyers, because Hard Hero hadn't given them any to sell at the convention? Good job on fulfilling that contract, guys.

Hard Hero terminated the contract because of 3H's failure to pay the money owed to them, the money everybody sent in for the statue. My question is this. Where exactly did all of the money go if not straight to Hard Hero? Answer that for me.

Had you actually read the explanation on Hard Hero's own site, you would understand that this is not the case. You're claiming that 3H did not pay for the statues that they received from Hard Hero. Were this true, Hard Hero would have actually mentioned it on their site. According to Hard Hero, 3H had agreed to find buy a certain number of these statues from Hard Hero, and to sell them on to customers. When 3H did not do so by a certain date, Hard Hero took it upon themselves to dissolve the contract. Of course, Hard Hero neglects to mention how impossible it was for 3H to find buyers for the statues at the convention when Hard Hero had failed to deliver them on time.

You know what. This is a pretty impressive ability to see into the future. I work for Transfandom, and the first that I've heard of this is from some "secret source". Now I don't know if it is true or not, can't speak for everyone there, but damn if something like that wouldn't be let out to the people that work there.

And as far as the rumor goes, if by some chance it is true, I see it more like that Hartman's are going to take on the Fan Club aspect of 3H and that Hallit is going to take on more of the general Botcon bits.

So what you're saying is this: "I heard from my baby's mother's husband's live in housekeeper's twice removed cousin's dog's trainer's cat's breeder's local druggie's supplier's hoe's most famous client's manager's second grade son's classmate's twin sister's older brother's ex-girlfriend's aunt's monkey's former owner's step-daughter's bestfriend's pet butterfly's larva's human counterpart from an alternate reality twice removed living in the past while's having a personality that lives in the future with his wife's past tense self who heard from her holographic image creator's Virus Infected Programming system's original owner's live-in doctor's former patient's cell phone provider's video game playing nephews and nieces' imaginary deceased frien'd's human counterpart from Marvel's Ultimate Universe's future self's evil daughter's heroic husband's former costume tailor's local homeless person's pet rat."

Why do you people have to pull this bullsh*t of I heard from so and so. Use NAMES! If they can't be named, shut up and quit trying to start some rumors!

Hard Hero failed to deliver Unicron to the convention, whether or not it's because 3H did not approve of the quality of it, does not matter. HH was being paid to do a job, if they could not fulfil THEIR duty into getting it right, 3H has EVERY right to tell them to take it back and redo it. HH still did not get it to Botcon on time, which is where the reamaining would've been sold. All I see is HH didn't live up to THEIR side of the contract. And I think some of you just wanna start some rumor because you have nothing better to do.

I've been nothing but polite and understanding with the people on this board. I was just stating what was told to me. Take that for what it is. You can believe it if you want, or you can choose to ignore it and blow it off. That's up to you. I'm pulling no "tactic". People who know me on this board, know that I'm pretty sincere in my posts. No good will come from bashing those from the board. So, peace folks.

Joe

Just want to say that I apologize to Mr. Hallit for the name calling. It wasn't terribly civil of me to jump on the flame wagon, though I still have my own issues with him. I'll just keep things to myself from now on so I don't hurt anyone's feelings in the future.

So what you're saying is this:  (snip)

I may not be a paragon of virtue and have said things in the heat of the moment, but that was just as uncalled for as my own insults.

Hard Hero failed to deliver Unicron to the convention, whether or not it's because 3H did not approve of the quality of it, does not matter.  HH was being paid to do a job, if they could not fulfil THEIR duty into getting it right, 3H has EVERY right to tell them to take it back and redo it.  HH still did not get it to Botcon on time, which is where the reamaining would've been sold.  All I see is HH didn't live up to THEIR side of the contract.  And I think some of you just wanna start some rumor because you have nothing better to do.

From what I understand, 3H contracted HH to make the Unicron statue. Through whatever reasons, it was delayed and not able to be available per schedule. There was apparently some contract involved for 3H to pay HH for the stautes. When the time was up, HH decided to try to recoup some of their costs and make Uuicron available elsewhere. Whatever the reason for the initial delay, it apparently doesn't factor into the equasion. 3H promised a said amount of money to be paid on a set date and they missed the deadline. Now, maybe the two could have worked things out. Now why don't we all, myself included, try to take the high road and just wait for whatever news will apparently hit later this week?

It is HH's fault that they weren't ready for BOTCON like they should have been. If they were, then they would have been paid right there as fans line up with the cash. Now months later, HH blames 3H? Sorry but I'm just not buying into that. HH had no problem releasing ones that came out even after Unicron was supposed to be released.

I'm not flaming, I'm just irked that people would do the whole "I heard from so and so about such and such." My response, that you did not agree with VGX, was aimed at the orginator of this thread. As far as a newbie, I'm not, been registered since March and I only lurk. I delurked when I heard about this crap somewhere else.

I've learned one thing from this thread. The right or wrong post will bring people out of the woodwork to speak their mind. I like that. I just hope alot of you guys stick around, you have a passion for Transformers just like the rest of us. Let's put this one behind us for now and enjoy some of the goood news that's been popping up.

Joe

Basically it was a big mess that could have been avoided, but stupidity and finger pointing caused us, the paying customer, to lose out. I just feel bad for those that payed and won't get their statue from 3H. I just hope they at least get their money back.

Incidentally, how do you figure? UPS just delivered my Unicron statue that I ordered through 3H just a few minutes ago. Seems to me that if 3H sent my statue, they're probably sending out everyone else's as well.

While, although affiliated with Transfandom.com, I won't pretend to know what's going on with this whole thing... I can say one thing about this situation. If any of you who are bashing Glen had ever actually dealt with him personally, you would never have spoken of him the way that you have. Glen is one of the nicest, most helpful people you could ever meet. ALL members of 3H are.

When we showed up at Botcon 2001 with those huge Megatron and Optimus Prime costumes, did 3H react adversely? Hell no. Those guys treated us and our imposition on Botcon with courtesy and kindness. Glen even tried to find t-shirts for those of us who were so busy with costume preparations that we missed out on the con shirts before they had sold out. Does that sound like some evil mastermind?

Get a clue, people. Any restructuring 3H is doing is the business of 3H. They are making good on the Unicron orders and moving forward wioth BotCon 2003 despite any internal changes.

Maybe people need to stop bitching and be grateful that there are those in the fandom who are willing to burden the ugly technicalities of business in the Transfandom. It's because these people deal with all the bullshit that you, the fans, don't have to. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labors and headaches.

They don't go through all this crap for themselves.... they do it for us.

So... sit back, quit complaining, and appreciate the end product of their difficulties without making them worse. That's all you have to do... just reap the benefits of what they sow.

Sorry for the rant. I'm going to go oogle at my Unicron statue now. :)-

Hey, I'm glad to hear you got your statue. And I understand that their are those that must deal with the burden of business. And maybe your right. Perhaps it is time to stop worrying about everyone else's business. But people, myself included, will have their opinions on people. Some are from experiences with that person or with that particular business and not come away happy. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in the last statement, heat of the moment. And if everyone who paid comes away with the statue, then I'll be as happy as anyone.

Joe

All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labors and headaches.

They don't go through all this crap for themselves.... they do it for us.

If any of you who are bashing Glen had ever actually dealt with him personally, you would never have spoken of him the way that you have. Glen is one of the nicest, most helpful people you could ever meet. ALL members of 3H are.  

Whats sad is you actually believe that. You obviously do not know Glen that well. Jon and Karl? Yes, they started this show for the fans. They never wanted any recognition or to be seen as some type of "Super fans", they just wanted to bring people together, and now it looks like they have been forced out of what THEY created. Glen on the other hand is concerned with one person and thats him. He's a control freak, a little kid who will take his ball home if you don't play his way.

Get a clue, people. Any restructuring 3H is doing is the business of 3H. They are making good on the Unicron orders and moving forward wioth BotCon 2003 despite any internal changes.

Restructuring? Yes, that would be their business. Glen Firing the 2 guys who started the show and brought Transformers collecting to a whole new level? I think that is mine and everyone else's business. One more side note on the previous quote. Why do you think Hard Heroes terminated their contract with 3H? They had the statues in the warehouse, all they were waiting for was payment. So why was payment not made?

I've stuck around, just don't post. It's the evil things that I reply to.  

But OFP2002 is right, the truth *is* out there. Glen already said the truth to prove OFP2002 was trying to stir the fandom up.

That is "Glen's Truth." I will wait, which from what I've heard won't be much longer, for the REAL TRUTH!

That is "Glen's Truth." I will wait, which from what I've heard won't be much longer, for the REAL TRUTH!

I'd say Glen's has no reason to lie to the fandom, what does he gain by lying? Is he gonna get an Emmy or something, what?

#=$

These words are Teflon to this guy. He is just like the rest of the control freaks that want to rule the world. Any one who was a real cool person would NOT have this happening to them. With out a question he has pissed enough people off out there to make this kind of talk about him to occur. People do not just go after you like this for nothing.

He will get knocked down and get back up only to gather a new gaggle of minions, probably some you here that talk like you want to bear his children or something. I here heard the music industry has groupies. The way you suckers adore this guy is weird as I dunno what? "Oh Glen, look at me. Make me an exclusive toy. I want to be just like you when I get a life!" Haw haw!

I will bet any of you:

$5 that these guys have been at each other's throats for a long time.

$10 that they have nearly split up before but we never heard about it.

$20 that this crap about Halibut is true.

$40 Halibut gets the boot from Hasbro for lying to them too.

McDj

Hmm, for some reason Macro-con I could not see your post in the thread, but I can see it when I'm replying. Anyway...

I apologize to OFP2002, looks liek you were right. My bad for saying you were just here to stir up trouble. Sorry.

Y'know... I've done a bit of thinking on this situation and have really considered the "why"s and "where to"s of this.

Glen Hallit is a business man first and foremost. Glen is also a really nice guy. Glen cares about BotCon greatly. I don't think Glen would've done what he did without good reason.

What then, could possibly be a reason for shutting out the Hartmans so (apparently) forcefully? I don't think, even for a minute that Glen did it to become some "dictator" as some have accused.

Allow me to offer this possible scenario...

The Hartmans, by their own admission, were becoming weary of organizing BotCon and were considering stepping down. Glen, still very much interested in continuing his role in BotCon starts feeling like the "last man standing". Glen realizes that the very real possibility exists of them removing themselves from the picture completely and maybe even selling 3H Enterprises to a third party, possibly even Hasbro.

Glen takes legal steps to make 3H Enterprises incorporated, insuring that his role in decisions regarding the buying and selling of the company is more prominent... thus guaranteeing that if it is sold, he won't be completely shut-out. Glen secures a deal with Hasbro to make BotCon the official convention, solidifying the already precarious relationship 3H and Hasbro had after Hasbro's downsizing.

Due to glitches in BotCon 2002, the Hartmans become even more disheartened than before. Glen becomes more convinced of the Hartmans' willingness to remove themselves from the picture. Realizing that the chances of the Hartmans selling, should an offer be laid on the table, are now greatly increased... Glen decides that Botcon's security must be decided in one, swift move.

Glen has the legal papers drawn up to have the Hartmans sign over their rights to decision-making over to him. To be fair, Glen insures the proposal keeps the Hartmans in a prominent position in the Botcon/Fandom aspect, but only removes them from the business end of the decision-making. Thus, rather than shut them out completely, a "restructuring" would be made to 3H's managerial structure. In essence, the Hartmans would not be "fired", per se, but rather "moved" within the 3H structure and "relieved" of their managerial obligations... while still being a prominent presence in 3H and at BotCon.

Glen, with papers in-hand, has Jon and Karl meet with him at the location of the next Botcon. Rather than it being a metaphoric setting, as some might view it, the choice of location was intended to keep Jon and Karl in perspective of just how big the event had become and how important the matters to be discussed were.

Jon and Karl, understandably, may have taken offense at Glen's initial mention of the proposal. Glen, realizing that if they were given a chance to walk away and consider their options, they might sell to a third party and cause him a world of legal mitigation with said third party. Thus, Glen makes a take-it or leave-it proposal in Chicago. Glen then tells them that if they choose to "leave-it", he will fight for his rights (leagally, if need be) to retain his part in BotCon and 3H management.

After careful consideration of what has been laid on the table, the Hartmans begrudgingly sign the contract and part ways with Hallit.

As comes with facing the reality of having no choice but to walk away from something you love so dearly (trust me, I know that feeling all too well), a lot of pain and regret crosses the minds and hearts of the Hartmans. In the end, though... I think Karl and Jon will realize (if they haven't already) that Glen was only looking out for the best interests of 3H and Botcon, and that they (the Hartmans) made the right decision to defer their management responsibility to Glen.

Glen, in my opinion, is the one who gets the short end of the stick, though...

In doing what he felt was best for all parties concerned, he now finds himself in a position where he is being ridiculed and villified for making business decisions that he felt needed to be made, while Jon and Karl are seen by fans as "victims of Glen's nefarious scheming". Glen was only trying to, from his perspective, do the right thing for Botcon and 3H Enterprises. I think Jon and Karl knew that, deep down, when they signed the papers.

When all is said and done, I think BotCon will be a better event, Hasbro will become more involved with 3H, Glen will be able to run 3H as the president of a business should be able to run it, and Jon and Karl Hartman will find themselves much more at ease and satisfied with their new roles in BotCon and 3H, having been relieved of the "dirty work" of the business. Due to all of this... we, the fans, will be more satisfied with our Botcon experiences.

While, admittedly, the above scenario may not be perfectly accurate, that is how the situation seems to me. Hard decisions needed to be made immediately to insure BotCon's future and the burden fell on Glen Hallit to get his hands dirty and make those hard decisions. I, presonally, applaud Glen for having the chineys to do what had to be done to insure the continued success of the business.

In the end, I think Jon and Karl will be much happier with the overall picture once the sting of what just happened has faded.

I apologize to OFP2002, looks liek you were right.  My bad for saying you were just here to stir up trouble.  Sorry.

Tijjy, you and I have had a lot of tiffs over the past few months, and we probably will have more in the coming months. But this act right here has filled me with great respect for you - much more than I've had for many other people in the fandom. Kudos for admitting that you were wrong and apologizing for it.

I know you're trying to put a positive spin on this for Glen, but you're reaching. Are you telling me that he went behind the backs of Karl and Jon and forcibly removed them from the picture two years before they planned to retire anyway, for THEIR benefit?

Glen "PrimeZ" Halit acted out of his own interest here, which is nothing new for him. Am I seriously supposed to believe that Hard Hero, Cartoon Network, numerous fans, and now Jon and Karl themselves are somehow being unfair at their discontent with this man? Why is it that everyone that has done business with this man regrets it?

Glen is not the good-guy here, no matter how you spin it.