What was your first anime?

Dragon_Mage

I'm not talking about Transformers, Battle for the Planets, Voltron, or other stuff shown in the '80's.

What was the first anime you watched?

Mine was Galaxy Express 999, a heart-warming story about a interstellar train, a boy, his friends, and an evil machine empire.

I was first introduced to anime during Cartoon Network's early experiments with anime. I'm talking about that one night somewhere in the mid 90's where Cartoon Network aired three Streamline movies. Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D (albiet a heavily edited one), and Twighlight of the Cockroaches became my first introduction to anime. Shortly afterwards I found myself hooked to Macross, which led me to an Anime club near my house. Good times.

well, technically, stuff like robotech (macross), g-force (battle of the planets), star blazers (space battleship yamato) is anime, just not recognized and/or appreciated here as anime until many years later. but, i've been watching that stuff since the last years of the 70's. plus if you want to count even more old school anime like mazinger z and voltes v that i saw in the philippines when i was but a diesel baby. but, i won't even count those 'cause anything on the tv at the age is just moving pictures. :wink:

anyway, i was exposed to underground anime culture here in the mid 80's (and i'm only 25, so i was pretty young). that means true import anime, and not the stuff that was popularized on tv. however, since i was young, i didn't really find genuine interest in it 'til a few years later. the first titles i can recall discovering on my own were the classic cyberpunk series bubblegum crisis (1987) and gunbuster (1988), which to date are still two of my favorite titles, gunbuster remaining my all time favorite anime.

gunbuster is a classic oav made by the same studio (gainax) that did neon genesis evangelion, but came out over half a decade before eva. but, i wouldn't do any justice to it by telling you about it myself, here's a couple of the best gunbuster sites:

http://gunbuster.areaseven.net/

http://www.cartoonparty.net/gunbuster_top_...ae/english.html

as for the gunbuster robot itself, it's gotta be one of the grandest robots in all anime history, standing at 820 feet, it's probably one of the, if not the tallest robots in anime. plus, how many other robots in anime spanned through 12,000 years? @*-

http://www.toponeraegunbuster.com/Gunbuster.html

medium3.jpg

and here's a few good informational bgc sites:

http://www.megatokyobgc.net/

http://members.tripod.com/~CSpade/

prissexp.jpg

i just realized all my favorite anime star women characters. nothin' rocks harder than ass kickin' chicks. 8)

diesel

• 1 month later...

it was either the original vampire hunter d, or maybe akira. either way, i'd consider either of them to be a great introduction to anime.

after Akira and Macross Plus....i got hooked with anime! :)-

after that i bought Serial Experiments Lain....my personal favorite

My first was d edited for tv aswell. I beleive it was on the sci-fi channel.

I had to buy it uncut and now the new one on dvd. The orginal is still my fav anime movie ever.

My first was d edited for tv aswell. I beleive it was on the sci-fi channel.

I had to buy it uncut and now the new one on dvd. The orginal is still my fav anime movie ever.

that's the same boat i'm in, exactly. i'm glad urban vision was able to put out a quality dvd thought. have you seen "vampire hunter d: bloodlust?" if so, what did you think of it?

Bloodlust was good... but it didnt have the mystery of the first movie...

perhaps. but you must admit that the animation was absolutely stunning.

Bloodlust was good... but it didnt have the mystery of the first movie...

perhaps. but you must admit that the animation was absolutely stunning.

I agree... animation in Bloodlust is great... but i love that one part in the original when the count found out what family D came from... classic moment...

agreed. i don't suppose i like either flick better than the other. they're both "classic" in their own respects.

Rewatched Bloodlust last night. Funfunfunfun....Quite interesting that Dwight Schultz does the voices for Benge and the Old Man of the Barboirois (spelling?). Pretty impressive. Who knew Merdok (spelling?) and Luke Skywalker would be some great voice actors!

And all the weapons in this movie are great. I forgot how cool Baldorf and his arrows were!

the weapons are fantastic indeed. except for maybe that guy that takes drugs and has a floating spirit and all that. oh well.

• 2 years later...