name your favorite character.

joeblow

My favorite character is definatly Treebeard. Granted you only got to see 3 seconds of him in the 4min trailer attached to the movie, but even just those 4 seconds wowed me more than most of the characters in FOTR. Not that the characters were bad in FOTR, just that I was anticipating seeing Treebeard for a LONG time.

As far as the movie goes though, I liked Boromir's character.

I think I will go with Pippin. He is more likable than any character. He is not so smart (which is more normal than everyone realizes), tries to be humorous. And is forever willing to stand and fight if provoked. Gotta love a guy who is funny and fights with the best of them.

TheGD

Legolas for sure. Elves have always been my favorite characters in any fantasy D&D type book. Legolas is just such a bad-arse with a bow, how can you not like him?

the elrond toy is pretty awesome.

but in the books, i like sam the best. i can't wait to see his character evolve in the films. i'm sure peter jackson will not disappoint!

I don't think Sam was given a proper intro. I have heard that the SE dvd will fix that but I was disappointed after reading the books to find out how important sam is and then realize the first movie short shifted his character as far as the gardener aspect goes.Explains hos "just trimming" comment in the movie to the newbie audience.

Siege

perhaps that (as in the books) the whole sam/merry/pippin conspiracy will be revealed, either in the extended edition or further down the road. that would strengthen the merry and pippin characters quite a bit too. that way, they'll actually have a good reason to join sam and frodo as they leave the shire (as it stands now, they really have no good reason to join, do they?).

well in the movie I see this reasoning.

It would be dangerous to split up with the Black Riders seemingly stalking them. Merry and Pippin don't know about the ring at this point and have no reason to think the Black Riders were just after Frodo. Safety in numbers until Bree seems like a good idea. However after Bree it would have worked better on screen to show Gandalf's letter to Strider to explain exactly why the Hobbits trusted Aragorn, a stranger with a lot of knowledge, so much other than "having to"

Merry an Pippin's characters will benefit a LOT from TTT. There was only so much character development PJ could cram into the 3 hours and he did it wonderfully with Boromir and others and lacked with others such as Legolas, Gimli and M&P.

I think the last group will get their moment to shine and when the 3 movies come out and they are taken as a whole like they are suppose to be, HOPEFULLY all characters would have been developed well.

Im with darthjoe: LEGOLAS.

he seems liek he is a really good actor, and quite the bad ass in this movie.

its funny i saw an interview on the dvd and he had a mohawk! killer dude! lol.

but right next to him would be Strider. gosh there are some really cool characters in this movie...

Gandalf was good but I think I'll save my vote for him until either TTT or ROTK. But even then there is Theoden and Eowyn to astound....arghhh...all the good actors.

I picked Boromir because I think Sean Bean and PJ took a slightly boring book Boromir and turned his death into one of the most tragic death sequences of all time.

Siege

why do so many peeps feel so compelled to make those crazy comparisons?

random thought: i'm glad they cut the songs from the films. i'm sure those would have d-r-a-g-g-e-d. and gotten a few laughs, i'm sure.

well that's a bit different. imagine if they tried to include all of the songs from the books. it would be horrible. but i really think it's quite clever (and moving) that many of the songs were sort-of incorporated into the vocal parts of the score. fantastic score, by the way. one of the best i've ever heard.

• 2 weeks later...

I was quite impressed with Boromir. I don't think the character got the attention it deserved in the film, but I guess when you die at the end of the first act, the audience doesn't really get a chance to get to know the character.

But, my favorite character would have to be Gimli. With Lines like:

"Never Trust an elf."

and

"There is still one Dwarf in Moria that still draws breath."

Whats not to like, an attitude and a big axe....he commends attention. :D

Rik said:

Gandalf, no doubts. Am I the only one???

i can agree there. i gotta say that this figure looks really good in this line, and im liking Gandalfs character more and more lately. hes a great actor anyway!

i never really thought much of borimir in the books, he just didn't interest me. but sean bean/peter jackson did an excellent job of "humanizing" the character in the film...and because of that, i really gained a great new appreciation for the character. it's the little things that count (ie, when borimir is teaching the hobbits how to use their swords and whatnot).

as for gandalf....he just rocks no matter what.