The Sound Attack Weapons

Straight Edge

I was going to reply to this on the now embattled "Flesh Tones" thread, but I figured it might be unwelcome there now.

>>Dont even get me started about the lameoid sound effects tabs that RUIN the weapons.>>

At least there is a reason for them. Hasbro knew, as we all do, that a GIJoe line cannot exist without vehicles. However, the major stores that order the line, like WalMart and Target, wouldn't order the vehicles unless there was some electronic feature to them... its a simple as that. Without the buyer support of the larger chains, the new GvC line wouldn't have made it past Wave 1.

Hasbro's final decision was to tie this necessary electronic gimmick to the figures, through the Sound Attack weapons. Thus, from wave 2 on, there will be at least one SA weapon, and one regular weapon, for each figure in the pack. The SA gun is for the kids, who'll play with the vehicle's SA features, and the normal gun is for us. So we really can't b*tch about not getting two realistic guns (cuz we werent going to get them anyway), and be thankful that Hasbro at least foresaw the collector's disdain for these weapons, and included additional gear for us. Dont look at it as a weapon wasted, look at it as an extra piece in an already cool two-pack, to be disgarded or modified as you see fit.

To soften the blow, reports from insiders are that each *newly* sculpted weapon (this included Scarlett's crossbow, and Baroness' upcoming hi-tech rifle) were molded with and without sound attack tabs, so in the future the SA weapons can be issued as normal, collector-quality weapons.

That's a very good point, Straight Edge. You have to acknowledge that there was some legitimate reason for Hasbro's decision on the soundtech. I hadn't heard the argument that the large chains would not buy the line without electronic features, but it is plausible and makes perfect sense.

But it doesn't make sense, since KB,Wal-mart, TRU, Target and K-mart bought the Rockslide, Dominator, Mantis Sub and Brawler. Lets see, I bought 2 Rockslides at KB, 1 Rockslide K-mart, 1 Dominator at Target and a sub and Brawler at TRU. So that means the only place I didn't buy a wave 1 vehicle from was wal-mart. So where is your reasoning that they won't buy non electronic toys? And I'm not positive, but I don't think the gold TRU exclusive rattler is going to be electronic.

Nik

I dont buy it.

Do they really think kids have gotten so stupid they need sound effects made FOR them? There was loads of play value in getting a high quality exclusive driver figure. If this was so bad, then how did the RAH line last for over a DECADE? There may be a reason, but it's a totally illogical one. Weaons without sound tabs were good enough for the old line and it's good enough with the new. Sure we get a second weapon, but its just a re-issue. The overall quality of the line is suffering because of it. Not only do we get no new diver figures, the ones we DO get are badly underdetailed. An insulting slap in the face to those of us who selflessly supported the line for nearly 20 years. Hasbro has really lost touch.

Gimmicks arent needed to make a toy good. It's high time they learned that.

with today being a more technological type of era,it seems natural to me that you would have some sound effects added into more stuff.

i havent actually had the privelege of testing these sounds yet, but i will whn my wm gets the figures. what is the deal anyway--if you dont like the sounds, cant you just NOT play them? or do they rampantly go off nonstop or something>?

toys arent made with the idea that ONLY collectors our age or any age will support them. i would say they are MOSTLY made for the little kids, and thats actually how i think it should be. if you dont like them , just refer to ebay or your own collection of old joes that pleased you then, and perhaps they will also please you now.

:roll: doc evil we get it you hate the new joes so stop yelling in it our ears on each figging post you make :roll: @-@

You would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of G.I.Joe than ol' Doc here. Doc's not "yelling"...he's literally typing his sentiments about some of the current issues that are being discussed on this forum about..uh, let's see...G.I.Joes.

Is this board reserved for strictly fan's and supporter's of the NEW GvC line, or for ALL folks who have any interest in G.I.Joes whatsoever..old and new?

Now for the topic at hand: I find it appalling that retail chains are DICTATING to the major toy companies what THEY think should be made to fill their shelves with. :roll: How disgusting or disturbing is THAT? :(

toys arent made with the idea that ONLY collectors our age or any age will support them. i would say they are MOSTLY made for the little kids, and thats actually how i think it should be. if you dont like them , just refer to ebay or your own collection of old joes that pleased you then, and perhaps they will also please you now.

(SIGH) :roll:

I want this question of "who exactly" Hasbro is trying to reach with these Joe toys, answered preferably by an expert in the field, or a Hasbro exec themselves. Of course, the best toys ARE going to be the ones made for the kids..imo. MORE fun, MORE innocent, MORE availability and LESS happy horsecrap stuff that's meant to jack up the price because it's "rare", "exclusive" and therefore caters to the adult collector mentallity!

POOP on that deal! :wink:

Btw...I already have ALL the "old Joes" so eBay buying offers nothing NEW to my already extensive collection, that I was wanting to build to even greater numbers (being a huge fanboy and all) and since the new ones are somewhat subpar (imo) to what I was wanting to see out of them, I was hoping some changes will still come about, that in the end, WILL "please" me. :)

Viper Hunter wrote

Now for the topic at hand: I find it appalling that retail chains are DICTATING to the major toy companies what THEY think should be made to fill their shelves with. How disgusting or disturbing is THAT?

Yeah it does suck doesn't it. But its true now, Most of the gripes that collectors have with the new line is a direct result of the "wants" of retail chains. I have heard that stores are actually selling shelf space to toy companies now, which is ridiculous. The reason that Wal Mart didn't carry wave I vehicles has to do with the fact that wal mart will not carry repainted joe vehicles, because they are not essentially new vehicles. Hasbro had to come up with a way to get ALL stores to carry the line and thus sound tech was born. Hasbro and Mattel are really at the mercy of retail stores, remmember that hasbro doesn't sell to us, they sell to stores, who then sell to us.

:roll: doc evil we get it you hate the new joes so stop yelling in it our ears on each figging post you make  :roll:  @-@

No, you are the one who doesn't get it. Im only insisting on the quality that GI Joe deserves. I do it out of obligation and concern for a lifelong hobby. I think kids and collectors deserve better.

I care. So sue me.

:roll: doc evil we get it you hate the new joes so stop yelling in it our ears on each figging post you make  :roll:  @-@

No, you are the one who doesn't get it. Im only insisting on the quality that GI Joe deserves. I do it out of obligation and concern for a lifelong hobby. I think kids and collectors deserve better.

I care. So sue me.

Feel the love!!! 8) :wink:

You know it, baby!

I admit the sound effects dont sound too bad. Ill grudgingly admit that they sound better than the old Sonic Fighter backpacks. But if the stores are forcing Hasbro to have them, they would be better implemented through a regular push button system. It just isnt terribly practical having to plug in a weapon. What good is Zartan's chainsaw gonna do him when the Fang III it's plugged into is in the air? Not to mention its very easy for one to stick toothpicks or something in the slot and wreck the delicate prongs needed for activating the sounds.

Another drawback is the button cell batteries mentioned in another thread. These things are really expensive. The "Try Me" packaging isnt exactly condusive to long battery life.

Morbo is absolutely right. Look at how badly the Commtech chip stuff went over. You can STILL find the electronic chip readers rotting on the shelves in some places two years later. You'd think after the soaking they took on THAT they would have learned.

Gimmicks are all well and good, but they need to be better thought out.

The differences between Commtech and Sound Attack are as night and day.

Commtech was a superfluous accessory.. an addition, which did not work well at all. It was a figure stand that said a limited number of *phrases* from the movie... it was a novelty, and it had no play value.

At least, for those that will like them, the Sound Attack gear is *integrated*! And they're generic firearms sound effects.. not as limiting as the vocal recordings of the Commtech stuff. Only so many times you can play up "Queen Amidala is young and naive" before you just dont want to hear it anymore. But I could hear that NAC gatling gun squeeze off thousands of roudns of ammunition, and still get a kick out of it!

Don't like the stuff? Dont push the buttons. I dont, and I still love my HISS and Fangs.

Viper Hunter wrote:

(SIGH)  

I want this question of "who exactly" Hasbro is trying to reach with these Joe toys, answered preferably by an expert in the field, or a Hasbro exec themselves. Of course, the best toys ARE going to be the ones made for the kids..imo. MORE fun, MORE innocent, MORE availability and LESS happy horsecrap stuff that's meant to jack up the price because it's "rare", "exclusive" and therefore caters to the adult collector mentallity!  

POOP on that deal!  

Btw...I already have ALL the "old Joes" so eBay buying offers nothing NEW to my already extensive collection, that I was wanting to build to even greater numbers (being a huge fanboy and all) and since the new ones are somewhat subpar (imo) to what I was wanting to see out of them, I was hoping some changes will still come about, that in the end, WILL "please" me.

Viper you write that as if i was directing it or saying it right to you. This is the case by no means. I hardly even read any of the topics in this topic anyway, and the ones i did read i didnt even look at who wrote them, since the names are off to the left and unread as i scroll and read. but if it applies to you, then so be it.if you really want to know who the new toys are intended for , why dont you call or write hasbro?

i was merely saying that not everybody can be pleased. that includes little kids and big kids like me. but i take what i get, and i try to stand back and look at the overall picture when a toy comes out that doesnt 100% satisfy me. they have to try to do the best they can, and sometimes that means trying new things and dealing with the reprucussions.

Viper Hunter wrote:

(SIGH)  

POOP on that deal!  

Btw...I already have ALL the "old Joes" so eBay buying offers nothing NEW to my already extensive collection, that I was wanting to build to even greater numbers (being a huge fanboy and all) and since the new ones are somewhat subpar (imo) to what I was wanting to see out of them, I was hoping some changes will still come about, that in the end, WILL "please" me.

Viper you write that as if i was directing it or saying it right to you. This is the case by no means. I hardly even read any of the topics in this topic anyway, and the ones i did read i didnt even look at who wrote them, since the names are off to the left and unread as i scroll and read. but if it applies to you, then so be it.if you really want to know who the new toys are intended for , why dont you call or write hasbro?

i was merely saying that not everybody can be pleased. that includes little kids and big kids like me. but i take what i get, and i try to stand back and look at the overall picture when a toy comes out that doesnt 100% satisfy me. they have to try to do the best they can, and sometimes that means trying new things and dealing with the reprucussions.

OOPS..my bad Firestongue! :oops: I didn't take your comments as being directed exclusively towards me, but I did take exception to the statement suggesting that if anybody doesn't like the new Joes, they should just go look at their old ones, or buy some old ones off of eBay, to basically get their fix of pleasure they're seeking from the hobby...or something to that affect. :)

My response regarding wanting to know WHO Hasbro really, truthfully wants to attract with these new Joes, was just a question I've had running around in my head a few times before, and you made me think of it again. :wink:

From the sounds of it, they're trying to please the whims of the execs over at TRU and Target....who THINK they KNOW what the kids will want :roll:

Is this board reserved for strictly fan's and supporter's of the NEW GvC line,...?

Yes. :wink: :lol:

OOPSie! I've been to boards that were BYOB (bring your own beer :wink: )

but I missed the notification about FYOP (find your own PARTY) :lol: :)- :)-

Viper Hunter Wrote

From the sounds of it, they're trying to please the whims of the execs over at TRU and Target....who THINK they KNOW what the kids will want

This is sort of true. I work at TRU, and it seems to me that the stores in general are more interested in moving products in a fast and efficient way, and it has nothing really to do with what kids want. For instance, I thought I had read somewhere that TRU sells shelf space to toy companies. This puts an added cost to Hasbro's budget that wasn't there 20 years ago. Also Hasbro needs to try and use the shelf space they purchase effectively, which means a scaling back of product to smaller "waves", several times a year, rather than a whole set of figures for the whole year. Just look at the cases of figures by Toy Biz. Their waves of figures were much larger in the early 90's and were slowly decreased until most of their lines only had four different figures per case( most figure cases contain about 16 figures). If this isn't true, then companies still need to compete for shelf space, and stores like TRU and Wal-Mart would give more space to toy lines that sell better. Does anybody remember Star Wars Ep 1? That toy line may have played a part in the toy company RESAURUS' death. If you were like me and interested in their toys you may have gone to they're web site and were eagerly anticipating many of the lines they had planned. Unfortunately TRU and the rest of the retail stores did not have space that year, thanks to the deluge of star wars toys that took an entire aisle for itself. This just shows us that there is more to it than "Hasbro is stupid and doesn't know how to make cool toys anymore...etc." It's a lot more complicated than that. Even something like room to display plays a part...

no problem Viper Hunter. it is actually good that some people have different opinions about GVC and some dont like it altogether, for thats what makes this board more interesting. yeah its great if everyone likes a product, but it doesnt make much diversity in conversation :)

EMB: those are some really great facts you brought up. i didnt know about all that, but it makes sense. i cant believe places actually sell shelf space to companies...how do the companies know they are being treated fairly? o well thats what they get for being dumb.

i hate the thought too that stores try to decide what ppl will buy. a walmart employee here in cookeville told me this happens there too. how can they know what ppl want and dont want? that is why they have tons of deluxe MOTU toys there and hardly any of what ppl really want to buy. its the same with GVC>

:roll: doc evil we get it you hate the new joes so stop yelling in it our ears on each figging post you make :roll: @-@

I care. So sue me.

Right on brother.