The Liberation of the sound-tech weapons - A tutorial

NMX

Alrighty... As I mentioned in the wave 2 Scarlett and Zartan review, I've decided to start modifying the sound-tech weapons. I started with Scarlett's crossbow, since Hasbro slapping a giant piece of crap onto the character's trademark weapon was just too much for me to let go.

Here's the end result...

cross01.jpgcross02.jpg

And here's how to do it...

While there is a chip in there somewhere, it's cased and connected to the main body of the weapon by the same soft plastic that the weapon is made of. This is very easy to alter, folks. Just take a blade and cut into the tab that holds the chip... Right at the base where it connects to the weapon. Take your time and be sure not to cut into the weapon itself or into your fingers. Either cut it straight through the tab, or cut it about halfway and you should be able to pull the rest off without cutting further. When you're done, clean up any uneven edges with a file or a piece of sandpaper and you've got a brand new weapon that looks a lot better.

In this case with the crossbow, the tab was not only attached to the main body of the weapon, but onto the weapon's stock as well. The stock's plastic was just too thin to salvage, so I ended up chopping off the stock along with the tab. The end result looks good though... And actually more closely resembles the stockless one-hand held crossbow pictured on Scarlett's filecard.

Anywho, there you have it. It's that simple. The entire process only takes a few minutes, and the end result is definately worth it. So next time anyone feels the urge to whine about the sound-tech crap... Consider just fixing the problem yourself instead. Sooner or later, Hasbro will drop the sound-tech crap in favor of another, likely crappier gimmick anyway. So hang in there.

Cheers.

-NMX

Well I could have done that. I thought you were going to have some sort of fool proof method. You had some good results. Just to let everyone know. There is no Chip for the sound attack. If you look at each tab there is a series of plastic lines that varies in all the weapons. When you plug those in the lines will push in different electric connections which inturn tells the vehichle what sound to make.

Well I could have done that.  I thought you were going to have some sort of fool proof method.  You had some good results.  Just to let everyone know.  There is no Chip for the sound attack.  If you look at each tab there is a series of plastic lines that varies in all the weapons.  When you plug those in the lines will push in different electric connections which inturn tells the vehichle what sound to make.

Fool-proof method? It's a piece of plastic... How else would you remove it aside from cutting it off? Anywho, the point of the tutorial is to show that people don't need to worry about messing up their weapons if they try and remove the tabs... It's actually quite easy, as I said, and carries a relatively low risk of damaging the weapon.

Interesting point on the tabs and how they work. And that likely makes it even easier for remove the tabs. If their's nothing inside the tabs, then people could take off pieces of it in stages if they're worried about cutting too close to the weapon. Thanks for that bit of info... Good to know.

Cheers.

-NMX

While NMX's method is good, for those of you that have small rotary tools like the dremel, you can use the blade and sanding attachments to do an even better job of ditching the sound tabs - but if you have the tools, you probably knew that already.

I was kind of surprised NMX actually suggested cutting off the stock of the crossbow... I thought it looked neat. You could easily scrape the sound tab off and then sand down the rest...

Tom

COBRAAA.JPG

Just to add a word of CAUTION for any "youngsters" on this forum, don't try this yourselves, and get an adult or parent to do it for you.

Don't know how many *under the age of 10* readers may be lurking here, but doesn't hurt to be careful..just in case. :wink:

Yeah I did that the as soon as I got them home, I just took a pair of scissiors an snipped off the sound chips, cause I think they look horrendous with the figures and they also weigh them down. I really don't like sound features, I'm still kinda partial to the whole spit sound effect that worked so well as a kid, that and the laser sound that i have mastered :)

"Ah man, who ever heard of being shot down by salad"