Finally got some display shelves!

Nik

My girlfriend brought some shelves home tonight as a surprise! I got my night attack chopper on the top. The bottom shelf houses a pair of sleeping bags (the shelf is in the corner of the room, next to my desk with my bed in front of it, so the bottom shelf is useless. The second shelf will probably house a few vehicles. The third shelf is perfectly sized for the comics. Some vehicles and figs will live here to. The next shelf is fairly small, so I'm thinking my cobra army will live here. The last shelf is fit to hold my crimson strike team box set. Some figures will go here too. Probably won't fill the shelves up for a while!

How do you guys display your joes?

Nik

I can't display my stuff right now because of the limited space in our apartment. It's all boxed up in the closets. I do have a couple of little shelves above my computer where I have some extra Episode 1 figures displayed that a lady at work gave me. She had two big boxes full of carded Star Wars figures, mainly Episode 1, that her nephew had collected and grown bored with. She heard that I was a big Star Wars collector, so she just gave them to me! Cool; huh! 8) Anyway, hopefully one of these days when my wife and I get a house, I'm going to have a room to display my stuff in; maybe G.I. Joe on one side, and Star Wars on the other.

At the moment 90% of my figures and bigger stuffs occupy dresser drawers, a two door closet and an open shelf - I'm not too happy about that - But showcases are way to expensive and complex, so I'm going to do this:

Buy a supply closet (the big metal roughly 6 ft tall office supplies locker) and use that for my bigger items, while I buy one of those acrylic display cases from www.375toys.com, it is pretty much a tiny version of what I've been wanting.

Tom

COBRAAA.JPG

The shelves I got were only $35 at wal-mart. 72" in height. I got all the joes displayed on it.

Top: NAC and Fang 3 on top

1st: Crimson Strike Team, Sand Razor, Mantis Sub, 2 Wet-Suits & Morays

2nd: 7 Frostbites, 6 Neo-Vipers, and 3 Rockslides

3rd: Duke, Cobra Commander, Destro, Gen. Tomahawk, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Slice, Heavy Duty, Gung Ho, Assault Quad, Brawler, Big Ben, Mirage, Sure Fire and all 9 comics.

4th: 2 Hiss 4s (one with his head up), Destro's Dominator, Alley Viper, Headman, Viper and 2 Claws.

5th: Sleeping Bags

I have my JvC headquarters box next to it. The only figs not on the shelves that I have are my convention Dusty, and since I have all the repaints I only put out one of the Duke, CC, Destro, Gung Ho, HD, SS, SE, etc. Some of the ones out are the repaints, some aren't.

I think the Brawler is gonna be the first to head back in the box. There is still plenty of room for more neo-vipers though :lol:

Nik

hehe, nik, for some reason as you described your new shelves they sounded all to familiar to me. then when you posted that it was the 72" high one for 35 bucks from wal-mart, i knew why - i have the same one! :o

hehe, yeah, it's a great book case unit, indeed, especially for its price. i've had one in my room for a few years now, it's the white one. and i've grown tired of the arrangement in my room and have been needing a rearranging i checked wal-mart and they still carry those book cases, but also in natural wood and black colors, plus marked down to $29.99 (they also have a smaller three shelf book case).

i decided to go with black. i'll redo my room with black furniture. so far, along with the book case (which i think i'll add a second one of), i've gotten a black entertainment center (just a small one, it's about 50" wide by 40" high). when i get the entertainment center set up, i'll proudly display my night attack chopper atop it. :)

anyway, as for displaying my joes - i don't, really. aside from the ones that are out at a given time 'cause i'm playing with them or gearing to use them for a project, the rest stay filed away in ziplock bags. i once had hundreds of my star wars figures displayed on my shelves, and they got dusty real fast. plus, it was a pain to clean them off, so i didn't do that very often. i couldn't allow my joes to see the same condition. so, unless i can afford a nice display case with glass or acrylic covers to keep my joes dust free, they'll stay stored.

at the same time, to be honest, i don't like the look of seeing them all displayed. they just look like a big crowd, like the pictures they had of the upcoming waves in lee's. and there's not so much attention brought to individual figures. but, then i couldn't display just a few, like my favorites or whatever, 'cause i love them all and it would be unfair to the rest of them.

so, i don't really display my collections, just assorted toys and figures all around that i like to see and/or show off. it's much easier to keep things stored, 'cause the same thing applies to any toy, they collect dust easily, and i don't like to let them get dusty and it sure is a pain cleaning them up all the time.

by the way, nik, that was real sweet of your girlfriend. and, uh, she's gotta be pretty strong if she brought it home to you on her own, that book case is a pretty heavy mofo. :roll:

diesel

by the way, nik, that was real sweet of your girlfriend. and, uh, she's gotta be pretty strong if she brought it home to you on her own, that book case is a pretty heavy mofo. :roll:  

diesel

I got the wood finished one. Looks real good.

And yeah it is heavy! She drug it up the steps and into the house without me even knowing and did it fairly quickly. Still not sure how she did it!

Nik