NY Toyfair Marvel Legends Reveals

yojoebro82

What were your favorite ML reveals from the NY Toyfair? Mine:

Almost anything movie related. Particularly the villains like Ronan, Red Skull, Yellowjacket and Mandarin. The digital printing is putting these things over the top for me. There's almost TOO much as far as movie figures go.

Bishop- I like Toybiz but they made their Bishop oversized for some reason.

Cloak and Dagger- These will be a welcome addition.

Sauron- Looks absolutely amazing. I have no idea what to do, however because aside from Bishop, I have no interest in any other figure from that wave. Yet I can't let this Sauron get away.....

Thoughts?

Love the whole "First 10 Years" line. Obviously the star of the show this year (yet STILL no Agents of SHIELD!?!).

Out of the regular stuff, my favorites would be:

Riders Logan and motorcycle (saw it coming a mile off, but still nice).

Cloak & Dagger

MCU Wasp

Spider-Ham

Elektra

Doc Ock

In the "Not so Favorites" department:

DEADPOOL: I get it, a hundred versions of Deathstroke's hillbilly cousin in one year is part of the joke. But when part of the punchline is that I have to buy 5 different versions of a character I don't even like to finish a bloody BAF, I stop laughing.

I wasn't crazy about MCU Ronan (or anything else from that crap movie) anyway, but do need a Ronan for the collection, so making it a Gamestop exclusive just adds insult to injury.

For me it would have to be the new Spider-Man wave, hands down my favorite for this year since there is not a single figure in that wave that I don't want; I can't remember that last time that happened. House of M Spidey which is one of my favorite incarnations of Spider-Man, Modern Daredevil, Elektra, Cloak and Dagger, Scarlet Spider Kaine and Dr. Octopus and the cherry on top being the SP//DR BAF. Other highlights for me include Modern Ant-Man and Stinger 2 pack, would prefer Cassie Lang in her Stature persona but I guess Hasbro doesn't want to make a 12" to 18" female figures. Either way, I loved that Ant-Man run and having a father/daughter 2-pack is cool. I love the Sauron BAF but having to buy a whole mess of figures I don't want is frustrating especially when 3 of them are Deadpools(ugh!). Then again I don't own an Omega Red and if Hasbro's version of Bishop can hold his weapons without the arthritis articulated fingers, stupid pegs on his hands and doesn't have crappy feet then it's already better than the Toybiz version I own. Not really feeling modern Magneto I would have liked a well made classic version before any other version but I can see why they went with the current incarnation. I'm not really keen on the 10th anniversary line I mean the figures look good but $25 for one figure without a BAF piece seems a bit steep plus I'll always take comic versions over movie ones any day. That said figures like Sif and Red Skull look very tempting plus I'm gonna have to get the Cap/Crossbones 2 pack for my collection of Cap figures. Overall it was good showing from Hasbro not many surprises since a lot of these list had been leaked in the past few months but still it looks like it's gonna be a good year for ML collectors now I just have to prioritize for budget reasons.

I love the Sauron BAF but having to buy a whole mess of figures I don't want is frustrating especially when 3 of them are Deadpools(ugh!).

I have a feeling a lot of fans are going to feel the exact same way. Meaning they'll probably break down and go to the after market (like I'm considering doing) and pay a bit more for just Sauron. Of course, when everyone's looking for the same thing on the after market, the price goes up more. Saruon is going to be a nightmare to get.

-For Sauron, maybe it's time for me to check out that dorksidetoys website that I keep hearing so much about, they apparently sell BAFs by themselves.

-The Sauron torso looks eerily similar to the one on the Amazing Spider-Man movie lizard, makes me wonder.

-I think the upcoming Lizard BAF looks great I'm a fan of dinosaurs so I love the raptor head but I can see how collectors would be put off by it.

-What's everyone thoughts on the Venom wave? Personally I may skip it, I already have the Venom and Carnage and the unmasked heads are not enough for me to buy them. The only 2 I was remotely interested in were Spider-Ham and Typhoid Mary(if it's true that we are getting her); Spider-Ham's lack of articulation is off putting and I'm 75% done with my Typhoid Mary custom so I'll have to wait and see Hasbro's version to see if it's something I want plus the BAF doesn't sound terribly exciting.

-For Sauron, maybe it's time for me to check out that dorksidetoys website that I keep hearing so much about, they apparently sell BAFs by themselves.

-What's everyone thoughts on the Venom wave?

I've ordered from dorkside many times and have never been disappointed. I've also gotten complete BAFs from them in the past (Ragnarok Hulk and Absorbing Man). I have a feeling Sauron will move fast but I will definitely be trying them.

Venom wave will probably be a total pass for me. I have Hasbro's current Venom and Carnage and even though I'm a sucker for alternate heads, I have to stop rebuying figures every time they hold out on an accessory the first time around. (I'm assuming that HUGE, waaaaayyyy out of proportion Eddie Brock head is just a quick place holder they put on him for the con. Right?) Are they going to try to charge $20 for that Spider-Ham? I'd take him as a pack in, but not for that price.

I have this feeling that they are gonna pack Spider-Ham with the BAF's torso to justify the price point(it doesn't in my opinion). I think putting a small figure in a single cars and charging $20 it's a bad idea. I thought it was a bad idea with Black Series Yoda and R2D2 and those had some cool accessories this one doesn't even seem to have articulation below the waist. I'm starting to think this Venom wasn't really planned ahead and it was something that they quickly put together to capitalize on the movie release. As for Sauron, I have considered going to the secondary market route but that depends on the price I have seen on numerous occasions the cost of the BAF being more than the whole wave. Then there's problem of actually finding the wave if I decide to buy it. In my experience people go crazy when a new wave of X-men or X-men related figures comes out which makes it difficult to find it.

I thought it was a bad idea with Black Series Yoda and R2D2

As for Sauron, I have considered going to the secondary market route but that depends on the price

$20 for little Yoda stung. But there's a big difference between Yoda and Spider-ham. An OT Star Wars collector isn't going to go without a Yoda on their toy shelf. He's a major and beloved character in the Star Wars universe. In the Marvel universe, Spider-Ham is.......less so. If I got him as a pack in with a figure I wanted, I'd happily display him (see Toybiz's Howard the Duck). As a single figure, easy pass.

I don't imagine a complete BAF Sauron going less than $100 on the aftermarket. I hope I'm wrong.

I thought it was a bad idea with Black Series Yoda and R2D2

As for Sauron, I have considered going to the secondary market route but that depends on the price

Spider-Ham is.......less so.

I don't know. He played a major role in the Spider-Verse event, he's a major supporting character (sort of) for a current fan-favorite character (Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider), he was a recurring character on the Ultimate Spider-Man 'toon (which was friggin' Shakespear compared to the current one), and he's been around darn near as long as Yoda. Plus, people have wanted a Spider-Ham since before there was a Marvel Legends.

Honestly, that's a lot of fan-boy street cred, and we've all seen characters with less become the "IT" figure of the day.