Mattel Announces MOTU Giants Subscriptions Starting On 9/10

The Wire

Yeah, but if up-scaling was so cost prohibitive, I doubt you'd see so many knock-off Transformers at Big Lots!

I mean, Mattel could not have seriously put any major degree of resources into the tooling or else He-Man wouldn't look as doofy as he does.

And if they actually did? Oy vey.

It's not the up-scaling being so cost prohibitive, it is the metal tooling itself. As for knock-offs, unless they somehow have access to the original molding, their tooling is inferior to the legit stuff. Tooling is basically the molds that make a figure. If you compare a knock-off figure that is aimed to children to a real one, you can see how the former has missing details and the likes. The Chinese also wouldn't use expensive material to make the tooling like other companies, so their toolings might break down over time and produce degraded figures over time. Such toolings cost thousands to make regardless of how big or small the part is - I learned this from one of the Gi Joe conventions had.

Given that the Giants are arguably worse looking (read: inferior) than their smaller vintage counterparts, all you've really done with that last post is reaffirm my belief that Mattel is making these as cheaply as possible and selling them at inflated prices to high-end collectors for maximum profit.

I'm not blaming them for trying to make a quick cash grab; I just think it's going to backfire in their collective faces because they've cut too many corners, gone with an illogical release schedule, and possibly over-estimated MOTU-fans' gullibility in buying anything with the MOTU name on it (..okay, that last one's a bit of stretch).

In a way, yes. I think it's the same principle as appealing to the average highly addicted toy completist/collector...except jumbo figures are aimed at collectors with an above average disposable income.

However, the tactic with the 24" Alien is, a fan of the original 18" figure knows that they are rare and expensive... so GG figures they can make a 24" one and sell it for even more money to a desperate collector who doesn't have the original Kenner one MIB. So yeah... psychological.

Honestly.....they can't afford to reproduce more Teelas or Horde Troopers or Fistos or Rammans or Beastmans but lets green-light giant figures that no-one asked for cause were all out of ideas at the moment on what to sell?......

Honestly.....they can't afford to reproduce more Teelas or Horde Troopers or Fistos or Rammans or Beastmans but lets green-light giant figures that no-one asked for cause were all out of ideas at the moment on what to sell?......

Don't forget Whiplash.

Actually, I'll be curious to see if these survive the "subscription drive" stage. If there was ever one thing that Mattel should base off of subscription numbers before going forward, it should be these.

I have a feeling you're not going to see any Giants beyond the first four.

And yeah, I'll echo the sentiment about how we keep getting told that factory slots are at a premium so we can't get more Horde Troopers, but Minis, Giants, and Babies get green lit no problem.

I used to have as a child one giant He-Man bootleg figure similar to this picture so if Mattel use the same process to create this new line then it is not going to be very costly for them and the price for the public (Customers) is not going to be so overpriced as we think in the beginning of this news.

giant-he-man-action-figure-18-inches-by-12-5-inches-d7a9.jpg

I used to have as a child one giant He-Man bootleg figure similar to this picture so if Mattel use the same process to create this new line then it is not going to be very costly for them and the price for the public (Customers) is not going to be so overpriced as we think in the beginning of this news.

Huh?

Based on the SDCC pics, these appear to have already been produced, and they WILL be way over priced for the customers.

Yeah, at this point, price isn't a matter of speculation. It's already been confirmed.

Well, I think we are all making speculations and at the end it would be safe to wait for the end product and the sites start showing us the real price would be.

I love these in theory, and I can even live with the price because of it, but the execution is so lacking that I don't know if I'll buy any.

If we had a confirmation that we'd get the entire 8-back or the 12-back (Faker, Tri-Klops, etc.), I would be more willing. But He-Man's head is almost unforgivable. It's just way, way off. Surprisingly so. Remarkably so. Unexplainably so. I mean, how do you screw that up? It's the most important aspect to get right.

They're $75 each. Period. And they suck. They're listed on Matty for next week, the price is confirmed.

Well if that's already set on stone then NO giants for me, because the only giants I really want to have are Tytus and MAYBE Megator (He is so gross that I don't feel the love for it).

tytus%20megator.jpg

megator-and-tytus.jpg

Good idea. The only way I'd get them is if they were exact replicas with stamping to differentiate them from the originals... but Mattel seems to have a hard time with the concept of "exact replica". In addition to the giants, I'd love to finally have a vintage Eldor and He-Ro.

The original Tytus is without a shadow of a doubt the best version against the classic one.

Tytus-Front.jpg

review_motcmega_8.jpg

Exactly!

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE