mako

Baxter Stockman

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

I'm still excited:

FINAL TRAILER!

https://vimeo.com/143101569

Ah yes! The Holiday Special. Most infamous, and possibly best camouflaged, variety special of the decade that brought us Donny and Marie, the Captain and Tennille, the Brady Bunch Variety Hour, and my personal favorite, Legends of the Superheroes.

Sweet Lord, how did we ever make it to the '80's?

#527 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

I'm still excited:

FINAL TRAILER!

https://vimeo.com/143101569

You know I have never seen that.  Maybe this will be a good year to give it a watch.  It looks like fun.  Wasn't Life Day officially in November sometime?

November 17th...had my annual Life Day party with goodies from the Star Wars cookbooks.  Set up the Ewok village to stand in for Kashyyyk, populated with Wookie figures.  A friend of mine gave me a hand painted ornament featuring Chewie's family.

Peter Mayhew is coming to a convention in my town in February.  I bet I'm the only person there getting something "Holiday Special" signed

I watch the Dvd transfer I made from the who-knows-how-many-generations VHS tape I bought at a convention in the early 90s.  It's ugly, but I love all the old commercials that are still included.

Here is a link to watch the cleanest copy out there, just discovered a few years back:

http://www.thestarwa...l-New-Recording

#528 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the link.  Definitely going to check that out this weekend!

#529 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

Time for my black out of internet "news" sources to go into effect.  I'm seeing more and more headlines claiming to have "major spoilers".  I never click on them, but I'm finding a lot of the times they just work the spoiler into the headline itself one way or another.  No big loss.  Everything on my "news" feeds are either nerd related or have a political agenda.  I'm a better person for NOT reading.  

#530 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

MOAR DARKER!!  http://www.ign.com/a...mpaign=Blogroll

MORE PLANET SPOLSIONS?!  MORE CHARACTER DEATHS?!

Honestly?  What else can surprise/shock at this point?  It wasn't a mistake to clone ANH, but it was a mistake to clone ANH and tack on 15 minutes of dramatic weight from ESB. 

But JJ has a plan...wow me.

#531 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

Honestly?  What else can surprise/shock at this point?  It wasn't a mistake to clone ANH, but it was a mistake to clone ANH and tack on 15 minutes of dramatic weight from ESB. 

You gotta start a new thread now.  The movie's two years away and you're gonna have a lot of piecemeal information to bemoan between now and then.  It's never too early to start!

#532 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

You gotta start a new thread now.  The movie's two years away and you're gonna have a lot of piecemeal information to bemoan between now and then.  It's never too early to start!

You didn't answer the question.

#533 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:54 AM

You mean the "What else can surprise/shock?"  I have no idea but I could say that about any movie.  I don't have a fan theory about Rey's parents and I haven't gone down the list of black SW characters that Finn could possibly be related to.   I'll let them write it and see when I'm in the theater.  But I can play along if you want:

More 'splosions?  Eh, ESB didn't have too many of those.  If Episode VIII is going to copy that movie, I expect a Carbonite freezing, at least one severed limb, and a visit to a wise old sage.  And I know this is far off, but I'm sure Episode IX will feature help from an army of furry friends.  Man, based on what John Boyega said just there, Episode VIII is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

#534 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

Man, based on what John Boyega said just there, Episode VIII is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Naw, based on what I saw in Episode VII, Episode VIII is gonna be mediiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiocre at best.

The only surprise that I could see (wishful thinking) is Luke Skywalker taking center stage again.  I guess they could shock by killing off a handful of beloved characters in one go.  Sacrifice the newbs?

No more splosions?  But Death Star 3 could blow up like 5 planets at once!  Though I see your point about ESB...guess Im gonna have to wait for Death Star 4 in Episode IX!  10 planets?!  20?!!

Finn's dad?  Ice Cream Maker Guy.

Leader of the Resistance? Jar Jar.

Ewoks?  Relocated following the Endor Holocaust?  Cause championed by ambassador Towani??

Chewbacca leaves the team...his son, Lumpy fills the void?

DARTH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUL!?

Or maybe Han Solo returns with robot legs?!

Snoke is Darth Plagie...er...Vader...Palpa....Mace Windu?!

The story of how the lightsaber was retrieved is soooo epic that it needs a spin off movie? I mean, they didn't have time to say something like "it was retrieved by tibanna gas miners and sold thru various black market dealers" so it must be good.  Boba Fett is probably involved in there somewhere.

The revenge of Jabba the Hutt's gay uncle?

#535 Devilbat

Devilbat

Lurking in the shadows of TNI...

• Members
  • 7,672 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Feat...your post is quite enjoyable when one reads it whilst imagining it being said in Harry Plinkett's voice. (lol)

#536 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

Ooooooh....so that's why they couldn't talk about C-3PO's red arm!

https://www.youtube....h?v=pXXZ9sCauj0

#537 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

:D

https://www.facebook...226303/?fref=nf

#538 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

Cool... it's time.

http://twinfinite.ne...ships-finn-poe/

#539 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

Even though Finn drops a couple of hints that he's into Rey, I wouldn't put anything past far-left Hollywood.  

#540 Devilbat

Devilbat

• Members
  • 7,672 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

Well, that makes alot more sense to me now...

I've been watching alot of videos about all of the questions and speculation created by The Force Awakens, and it's all quite interesting and entertaining, but earlier I caught one video on Youtube that points out and explains all of the easter eggs and hidden references in the movie, and I found it quite fascinating. But the most interesting thing this guy shed light on was the info behind some of the supposed deleted scenes that were cut because of time constraints. You have to take this stuff with a grain of salt until we all see the true behind-the-scenes material, but this guy was pretty spot-on with everything else, from what I know of the official details.

He alludes to some deleted scenes with Gen. Leia and how it kind-of explains the political climate in the galaxy that clarifies why there's a "Resistance" to begin with and why they seem like a carbon copy of the under-funded, scrappy underdog element that the Rebellion was. To me it just didn't make sense, that if there was indeed a New Republic, then why did the Resistance feel like these outsiders that were scrambling and cobbling together resources to fight against the First Order. According to the guy in the video I watched, he says that there's been a peace treaty or accord of some kind between the First Order and the Republic, and that the First Order was breaking that treaty left and right across the galaxy, that those involved in the Resistance, started of course by Leia's general distrust of and opposition to the First Order, were in some way perhaps disavowed by the Republic, because they didn't believe in her assertions that the First Order was bad news, that only bad things would happen if they were allowed to continue to operate. So it becomes much more clear to know that the Resistance is not affiliated with the Republic, but that they still fight for them in secret against the First Order. That's makes so much more sense, although I remember that similar things weren't explained in ANH either...it's just that the supposed deleted scenes explaining the situation would have made the film make alot more sense, although I enjoyed it regardless.

Another thing I found satisfactory in his video, and it was perhaps something I had personally arrived at on my own and forgotten along the way, was the notion that Starkiller Base technically wasn't a third Death Star, that it was components of a base and super-weapon built into an existing ice planet. It's alot easier for me to swallow and accept if that truly is the case. Incidentally, I don't know why they'd go through the trouble of constructing a new space station and add natural features like mountains, ice, snow, and rock formations...it's simply a modified planet. Perhaps it was cheaper also than building a space station from scratch... (lol)

If you guys are interested in the video, I'll try to find it for you and provide a link. I've not seen the entire video, but the tidbits of info he provides are very fascinating and quite enjoyable if you like background details.  

#541 jedicrippler

jedicrippler

We've got movie sign!

• Moderators
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

Well, in regards to Starkiller, on the map they've released of the galaxy it sits in the spot occupied on previous maps by Ilum, the planet where Jedi got their lightsaber crystals. So the speculation is that they actually converted Ilum into this weapon. Kind of makes sense quite frankly.

#542 Wheeljack35

Wheeljack35

The Jedi Insider Jedi

• Moderators
  • 32,049 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

Boy does he have a dream job.Going from Star Trek movies to Star Wars movies and back..I wonder if there will be a crossover

#543 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

Another thing I found satisfactory in his video, and it was perhaps something I had personally arrived at on my own and forgotten along the way, was the notion that Starkiller Base technically wasn't a third Death Star, that it was components of a base and super-weapon built into an existing ice planet. It's alot easier for me to swallow and accept if that truly is the case. Incidentally, I don't know why they'd go through the trouble of constructing a new space station and add natural features like mountains, ice, snow, and rock formations...it's simply a modified planet. Perhaps it was cheaper also than building a space station from scratch... (lol)

But would they have done anything to heighten that revelation? Again, I would have liked it to have been some sort of surprise to the resistance...The planet opens up to reveal the trench/laser..."We were searching for a superweapon orbiting a planet...the planet is a superweapon!"  Blammo! 

Sure, it might be cliché/done before, but it's something...anything.

#544 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

I would have liked it to have been some sort of surprise to the resistance...The planet opens up to reveal the trench/laser..."We were searching for a superweapon orbiting a planet...the planet is a superweapon!"  Blammo! 

Yeah, that would have been cool, I think.  It would have been a great "Oh F*&^!" moment for the good guys...

#545 Devilbat

Devilbat

• Members
  • 7,672 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

Well, in regards to Starkiller, on the map they've released of the galaxy it sits in the spot occupied on previous maps by Ilum, the planet where Jedi got their lightsaber crystals. So the speculation is that they actually converted Ilum into this weapon. Kind of makes sense quite frankly.

That's pretty cool actually. I'd like to think that's the case...

But would they have done anything to heighten that revelation? Again, I would have liked it to have been some sort of surprise to the resistance...The planet opens up to reveal the trench/laser..."We were searching for a superweapon orbiting a planet...the planet is a superweapon!"  Blammo! 

Sure, it might be cliché/done before, but it's something...anything.

Yes...I will agree that would have been a really cool reveal, especially considering Abrams' penchant for surprising cinematic twists. And just a little more exposition would have went a long way in making TFA nearly perfect. There has to be a nice balance...not having every single thing explained like Lucas did in the prequels, yet not have too many gaps to fill in on our own as collective viewers. I will admit though I'm thoroughly enjoying all of the mysteries and speculation this movie has inspired. It's alot of fun...

#546 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

what are the mysteries? 

C-3PO's red arm.

The path of the lightsaber to Crunchy Cookie Face.

The hows and why of the resistance and the first order.

Rey's parentage.

Where and when Darth Maul and Boba Fett will return.

Snookie's identity.

Am I missing something?

#547 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

what are the mysteries? 

C-3PO's red arm.

The path of the lightsaber to Crunchy Cookie Face.

The hows and why of the resistance and the first order.

Rey's parentage.

Where and when Darth Maul and Boba Fett will return.

Snookie's identity.

Am I missing something?

Well sifting through the half genuine/half sarcasm of that response, yeah, there is a solid chunk of mystery to be revealed.

Yes, Rey's parentage for sure and yes, how DID that lightsaber get in that box in the bar's basement.

Who is Snoke? (Sorry internet, not buying the Grand Moff Tarkin guess)

I still think there's more to what Luke has really been doing all this time.

I think there's probably more in store for Kylo Ren--maybe another Solo sibling...

And I'm hoping Leia has the force.

Also, just curious, did 3PO's one silver leg in the OT irk you as much as the red arm does?  I guess I don't see much difference.

#548 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

Also, just curious, did 3PO's one silver leg in the OT irk you as much as the red arm does?  I guess I don't see much difference.

No, I just think it's funny that they bothered to mention it out loud in the movie.  Didn't he say something about "buying the comic book" or something?  I don't remember...like the end of the Holiday Special where they have him shill toys.

And "that is a story for another time" was just too much. 

I think the biggest mystery that goes unaddressed by fans is "is all this tedium distracting me from objectively reviewing this movie?"

#549 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Red Skull

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

I think the biggest mystery that goes unaddressed by fans is "is all this tedium distracting me from objectively reviewing this movie?"

With the OT being nearly every fanboy's holy grail of movies, I don't know if anyone in the geek community can claim they can 100% objectively review the movie.  

Maybe I can't either.  I know there were some things I wish they'd have done different but to use your word, I think those things fall in the "tedium" category.  Big picture, and blocking out all the noise and theories and behind the scenes politics that the internet delivers on a daily basis, I think there's a lot to be excited for.

#550 featofstrength

featofstrength

Tri-Klops

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:55 PM

With the OT being nearly every fanboy's holy grail of movies, I don't know if anyone in the geek community can claim they can 100% objectively review the movie.  

Maybe I can't either.  I know there were some things I wish they'd have done different but to use your word, I think those things fall in the "tedium" category.  Big picture, and blocking out all the noise and theories and behind the scenes politics that the internet delivers on a daily basis, I think there's a lot to be excited for.

Yeah...it's better than the prequels.  But a 90-92% fresh on rotten tomatoes? I wanna drop it to a solid B just for Snookie and Cookie Face effects and practical effects promises alone. 

I am excited at the possibility, no matter how minute, of Luke Skywalker taking center stage again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us