• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#426 hamsterboy

hamsterboy

Princess Liea

• Members
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

Over on Yahoo,Kasdan hinted that even though he's not in this film,Lando might turn up in one of the other two movies.

#427 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Rocksteady

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

Over on Yahoo,Kasdan hinted that even though he's not in this film,Lando might turn up in one of the other two movies.

I also read something where Kasdan claims they are not trying to make episode 7 "epic", that they want to keep it to a descent run time.  I don't have the link anymore, you'll just have to take my word for it

#428 hamsterboy

hamsterboy

Princess Liea

• Members
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

^That was in the same article I read over on Yahoo. He said he doesn't want people to go "why isn't this over yet?"

#429 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Rocksteady

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

^That was in the same article I read over on Yahoo. He said he doesn't want people to go "why isn't this over yet?"

I'm with him on that one.  I'm also tired of movies in this genre trying to be "epic".  When I think epic, I think Zach Snyder describing his Man of Steel movie (one of my least favorites in recent memory).  "Epic" has turned into tacking on 20-40 extra minutes of buildings falling over and an overdoes of characters that don't need to be in the film.  When I think "epic", I think someone trying to outdo something that came before.  Visually I don't think that can be done.  Every one of these movies has awesome special effects.  Any one can digitally insert any environment or character they want seamlessly.  You can't outdo anything visually anymore.  Time to try and outdo something stotywise.

Someone says they're not trying to make an "epic" geek movie?  GREAT!  

#430 Devilbat

Devilbat

"Where left lightsaber did I?"

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

In terms of film-making, I do not envy J.J. Abrams's disposition in carrying the Star Wars torch, as it were, one little bit; overdo it and you further alienate the already-disgruntled fanbase, underdo it and you'll have people clamoring for the next director and new vision for the franchise. It's a creative and professional balancing-act, involving arguably the most anticipated film of all time. No pressure, Mr. Abrams... (lol)

#431 featofstrength

featofstrength

Catwoman

• Members
  • 2,950 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 PM

In terms of film-making, I do not envy J.J. Abrams's disposition in carrying the Star Wars torch, as it were, one little bit; overdo it and you further alienate the already-disgruntled fanbase, underdo it and you'll have people clamoring for the next director and new vision for the franchise. It's a creative and professional balancing-act, involving arguably the most anticipated film of all time. No pressure, Mr. Abrams... (lol)

No one is forcing (no pun intended) him to do it.  We could discuss "ego" and "passion" and money til the cows come home...if he didn't sign on, someone else would in a heartbeat.  

He may get lucky. He may get what he deserves.    

It's good for him that he's totally unoriginal....safe.  He'll be fine.  I mean...I don't see the general public growing any taste between now and Christmas. 

Anyone else see Pitch Perfect 2?  Awesome!!!!

#432 yojoebro82

yojoebro82

Rocksteady

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:28 PM

Seeing as how Star Wars is the most ravenous of all geek fan bases.  No...no I do not envy him either.  I just wish him good luck and my the force be with him.

#433 Devilbat

Devilbat

"Where left lightsaber did I?"

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Well, you have to understand George Lucas painted himself into a corner so to speak in terms of storytelling with the prequels; there were only so many ways it could have gone...he already had his Point B story, as it were, with the original trilogy. He just had to derive a Point A origin and fill in the details that could be retrofitted enough to plug into an established lore, and in doing so he kinda limited his own path to follow.

In my own experiences as a budding writer, instructors have forced me to write assignments within a specific word count. At first I thought it was awful constricting and binding, and would prove to hinder my thought process. In actuality however, I found that my writing became more precise and streamlined as a result of being forced to narrow my thinking and ideas to fit a finite body of work. My writing truly became better because of it. I would imagine it was a similar process for Lucas, to be confined by his own storytelling, to have to follow a restricting, pointed literary pathway...he was free to play around with his long-brewing concepts in any fashioned he wished, yet he knew he had to arrive at the birth of the Empire and eventually Darth Vader. I'd imagine it was also quite a challenge...

J.J. Abrams, on the other hand, had an advantage going into the process of establishing a new trilogy arc. Long-suffering fans, like myself, have wanted to see the original-trilogy-era characters and concepts expanded upon since the mid-to-late '80s, when Lucas hinted at the possibilities, however remote, of someday continuing their adventures, when it might be more feasible to do so. Abrams has been tapped to do that very thing, so he's in charge of pleasing a ready-made fanbase, despite the established hard-core fans that have consumed any and all properties related to Star Wars; some people don't care about the prequels or the peripheral shows and what-not...they just want to see more of Luke, Han, Leia and Co., the characters and storyline that hooked them in the first place. And the sky's the limit story-wise...Abrams was not hindered by origins or pre-established plot-points that needed to be incorporated or fleshed-out.

Also, people have pined for a more at-least traditional-looking form of Star Wars, with all the trappings and feelings found therein, so...terrible story notwithstanding, Abrams can hardly go wrong as he seems to be giving the fans exactly what they've been wanting...or at least what the disenchanted ones want. There are those of us that feel Star Wars is like pizza...even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. (lol)

I'm excited about it, and I think based on what J.J. Abrams did with Star Trek, he's gonna knock it out of the park. I've decided life's too short to be pessimistic and jaded about something like a Star Wars movie. And at the end of the day, it's just that, a movie. If it sucks, my world will most assuredly not end. Yeah, I love Star Wars, and I want to see it thrive and be successful, but if it don't, what can ya do about it except see it or vote with your dollars and not see it? That's right...that's about all you can do, besides gush or whine about it. I think I personally tend to fall in the middle of that spectrum somewhere...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us