Episode VII Rumormill

Wheeljack35

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when George had Nsynch in the Jedi battle on Geonosis..People flipped..

What, who now? You mean N Sync the boy band???????

George's Daughter was a huge fan and asked and they were cast as Jedis in the Geonosis battle, but were later cut out.

I remember when George had Nsynch in the Jedi battle on Geonosis..People flipped..

What, who now? You mean N Sync the boy band???????

George's Daughter was a huge fan and asked and they were cast as Jedis in the Geonosis battle, but were later cut out.

It was most probably the fat one who looked to be the one who asked for him to have Maroon 5 on his AFI tribute.

Ohh...I absolutely LOVED him in Star Trek Into Darkness. If he played Thrawn, it would be all kinds of awesome, but I'd definitely settle for him being a cool Sith Lord. Awesome news.

The only thing "geeky" he's been in recently is STID. And he'll be the voice of Smaug in the Hobbit films, but it's not like we'll see him on camera. Didn't know 3 films consituted "all things geeky lately".

The only thing "geeky" he's been in recently is STID. And he'll be the voice of Smaug in the Hobbit films, but it's not like we'll see him on camera. Didn't know 3 films consituted "all things geeky lately".

He's Sherlock in "Sherlock", the villain in STID, and the voice of Smaug and the motion capture of the necromancer in the Hobbit films. He also auditioned for the 11th Doctor, but was casted as Sherlock - a similar incident happened to Matt Smith where he auditioned for Watson, but was chosen to be the 11th Doctor.

Cumberbatch also did a few voices in an ep of the Simpsons, as well as theater. Does that constitute as geeky?

He's Sherlock in "Sherlock", the villain in STID, and the voice of Smaug and the motion capture of the necromancer in the Hobbit films. He also auditioned for the 11th Doctor, but was casted as Sherlock - a similar incident happened to Matt Smith where he auditioned for Watson, but was chosen to be the 11th Doctor.

Cumberbatch also did a few voices in an ep of the Simpsons, as well as theater. Does that constitute as geeky?

Yup.

So you add Sherlock to the list of stuff (and I'll be generous & give you that one, I can come up with a bunch of other shows that are geekier than that). That's 3 things. Auditioning for a role (3 or so years ago at that) doesn't equate to being in the program. And everyone & their 3rd, 4th & 5th cousins have been on that overrated garbage called The Simpsons.

What hasn't he been in: half dozen Marvel films, Dark Knight trilogy, Man of Steel, all Pixar films, Joe & TF films, Wolverine & the X-Men films, Kick-Ass, MiB3, Game of Thrones, etc., etc.

So no, he hasn't been in "all things geeky lately". He's been in 3 (or 4 if you really want to include something everyone has done) properties over the last 3 years.

And no, theater doesn't count as "geeky". Especially coming from England as that's how a whole lot of actors & actresses over there get their start. That's a way of life.

And no, theater doesn't count as "geeky". Especially coming from England as that's how a whole lot of actors & actresses over there get their start. That's a way of life.

A film AND theatre expert?! :o

I would call starring in Danny Boyle's production of Frankenstein exceedingly geeky in this day and age...but mostly pretentious: 2 lead actors alternating lead roles. I dont care how many @##@@ awards it got, it's not the @##@@ Bard...Danny Boyle...sigh...shakes head...

Can you tell me how many times you can milk public domain classics for money under the guise of "professional" theatre? Under the shadow of pretention (i.e. Taming of the Shrew set on a mini golf course: INFINITY. And we complain about Hollywood scraping the bottom of the barrel? Theatre has been dead for decades, but people still parade the corpse around so why mention it here?

he's too popular right now to do Star Wars right.

Eh, I can't buy into that. How do you do Star Wars "right" aside from putting your OT VHSs into the VCR? Does the cast have to be all no-names now? The guy was in one big budget movie. Now there's going to be a pi$$ing match over how popular Benedict Cumberbatch is or isn't? @smilepunch@

he's too popular right now to do Star Wars right.

Eh, I can't buy into that. How do you do Star Wars "right" aside from putting your OT VHSs into the VCR? Does the cast have to be all no-names now? The guy was in one big budget movie. Now there's going to be a pi$$ing match over how popular Benedict Cumberbatch is or isn't? @smilepunch@

He was in more than one big budget movie. I left out other films that he had recently been in, which are The War Horse and Tinker Toy Soldier. Like it or not, Cumberbatch became a big star ever since Sherlock became popular worldwide. Bigger than David Tennant when he left Doctor Who to do Fright Night.

Most British actors do not become that big after starring in a British TV show. Most continue to do TV work and theater. Cumberbatch, on the other hand, did nothing but movies that were shown in the US. To me, he's pretty good.

Regardless, I disagree that popular actors can't do Star Wars. Samual L. Jackson was casted as Mace Windu during a time when he was in a lot of movies

Regardless, I disagree that popular actors can't do Star Wars. Samual L. Jackson was casted as Mace Windu during a time when he was in a lot of movies

Sam Jackson? The character was wrong, his casting was wrong, and he @##@@ sucked.

Liam Neeson was getting pretty popular at the time, and though you could argue that his hands were tied, he didnt have the balls of Harrison Ford to challenge George and bring more of himself and his actor's instinct to his part. And in the end, he almost gave up acting all together.

Anyway, I think that "names" work to overshadow the simplicity of the story. Simplicity as in the hodgepodge of myths and legendary stories from our own culture that made the original what it was. No name should distract from that. There are so many great unknown actors out there that could bring so much more to the table...eye of the tige, baby. And if not unknowns, great but less than mainstream actors that deserve the time to shine.

Cumberbatch, great actor...he's got a lot going for him right now and he deserves it. But, too much too fast...he's up for a villain role, no doubt? already typecast due to his earlier hollywood successes. A real shock would be if he was cast as a lead hero...he was Sherlock Holmes, Disney, but go ahead and play it safe.

Sparticus Actor Reads For Episode 7?

Watching the screen tests from Empire of Dreams, the scripts Mark, Carrie, Harrison, Cindy Williams, etc... were using seemed to be close to final drafts (iirc, some was screen accurate, some, not so much), so, if true, I doubt he had a final draft at this point (N.D.A?). I'll be so glad when the actual cast is announced, to put an end to all of these rumors.

Sam Jackson? The character was wrong, his casting was wrong, and he @##@@ sucked.

Liam Neeson was getting pretty popular at the time, and though you could argue that his hands were tied, he didnt have the balls of Harrison Ford to challenge George and bring more of himself and his actor's instinct to his part. And in the end, he almost gave up acting all together.

Anyway, I think that "names" work to overshadow the simplicity of the story. Simplicity as in the hodgepodge of myths and legendary stories from our own culture that made the original what it was. No name should distract from that. There are so many great unknown actors out there that could bring so much more to the table...eye of the tige, baby. And if not unknowns, great but less than mainstream actors that deserve the time to shine.

Cumberbatch, great actor...he's got a lot going for him right now and he deserves it. But, too much too fast...he's up for a villain role, no doubt? already typecast due to his earlier hollywood successes. A real shock would be if he was cast as a lead hero...he was Sherlock Holmes, Disney, but go ahead and play it safe.

Whether your actor is an A lister or a no-name, I think they can only go with the crap they're given. No matter how good they are, if the script stinks, there's only going to be so much they can do. That's why it's useless to use the prequels as examples. Look at Neeson. All throughout Ep. I you saw little glimmers of hope with the Qui Gon character thanks to his acting ability. But ultimately it was squashed by the next piece of corny dialogue or "WTF" plot point. Look at McGreggor and Christensen. One an unknown, one with some solid, credible work under his belt. Both appear to be on equal footing running around in front of a green screen delivering hackneyed dialogue.

In all honesty, I don't think I remember a geek movie in the last 13 years where I considered a roll to be totally miscast. I think you'd have to go all the way back to Ah-Nud's Mr. Freeze (and, conveinently, Batman from the same movie!) There have been dud movies, for sure, but I think by and large the flaws have to do with story, plot, and script. It's the casting director's job to screen several people then pick the best one and I think they do an OK job in general (remember that, Batfleck haters).

With SW, it's going to ride completely on the script, not the popularity of the actor.

Whether your actor is an A lister or a no-name, I think they can only go with the crap they're given. No matter how good they are, if the script stinks, there's only going to be so much they can do. That's why it's useless to use the prequels as examples. Look at Neeson. All throughout Ep. I you saw little glimmers of hope with the Qui Gon character thanks to his acting ability. But ultimately it was squashed by the next piece of corny dialogue or "WTF" plot point. Look at McGreggor and Christensen. One an unknown, one with some solid, credible work under his belt. Both appear to be on equal footing running around in front of a green screen delivering hackneyed dialogue.

In all honesty, I don't think I remember a geek movie in the last 13 years where I considered a roll to be totally miscast. I think you'd have to go all the way back to Ah-Nud's Mr. Freeze (and, conveinently, Batman from the same movie!) There have been dud movies, for sure, but I think by and large the flaws have to do with story, plot, and script. It's the casting director's job to screen several people then pick the best one and I think they do an OK job in general (remember that, Batfleck haters).

With SW, it's going to ride completely on the script, not the popularity of the actor.

Okay, forget Liam, ewan, hayden and the prequels, and think original Star Wars (what they ultimately want to replicate, right?) and Harrison Ford...and the bigger picture, including the power of any actor to throw weight around, question, challenge, and improvise. Everyone knows that the Han Solo on the page is totally different than the Han Solo we got on screen, and Ford should get at least half the credit. And he was a relative unknown at the time...quite the balls to raise a voice when you're starting out.

On the other hand, some actors at a certain point when they've "made it" will just go with the crap they are given if a dump truck full of money is offered up. Work is work to a certain degree, but the extra mile, and the drive and strive to do that much more are loooong gone. Eye of the tiger: a good case for going with unknowns.

And while the Sam Jackson/Mace Windu error goes deeper than casting, (i.e. the prequels ruined the Jedi.) I could think of sooo many more prominent, dignified, and accredited black actors (assuming that they did this for demographics and diversity) that could have brought just that much more in presence alone to the role of a stoic, wise, and powerful jedi master. Sam Jackson works best when he's turned up to 11. He's a block of wood in Star Wars. Did he forget that he was a former Black Panther? Did he really make you "feel" anything other than he could be reading his lines offscreen on cue cards?