Star Wars "Rebels" Animated Series

Bespin refugee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!! it's Jedi Han!! Why didn't I think of that?! (lol) Why not? Han Solo's popular, Jedi are popular...it's brilliant!! @smilepunch@

Who am I kidding...I am intrigued, but I'm also like feat in that I'm not sure how you can explain away the mystique and antiquity of the Jedi in the original trilogy era when events and portrayals in Rebels contradict the whole notion that it's an "ancient religion" and Vader, Obi-Wan, and Yoda are all that's left of their numbers, to paraphrase Tarkin. If things progress the way the new show implies, then Luke would not have necessarily revived the Jedi Order, unless they are showing us the last remnants of the Old Jedi Order that the Empire is still hunting down. Maybe they could also be super secret operatives that fuel the myth and legend of the Jedi. I'm just interested to see how they back out of the corner they've painted themselves in creatively.

Did you two watch the video in the link?

Well, to be honest Joe, I hadn't. I was commenting purely on first impressions. But I'll tell ya what...I did go back and watch it, and it has not changed my mind. To reveal more Jedi-users immediately prior to the adventures of someone that's referred to as the galaxy's "new hope" seems to diminish the level of uniqueness and importance that used to be Luke Skywalker's role in the downfall of the Empire and the re-establishment of the Jedi Order. To have survived the purge for almost twenty years must mean "Cowboy Jedi" is a pretty powerful and significant Jedi, I would think.

So like I said, it didn't change my impressions. As a matter of fact, it confirmed my theory that he's one of the last remnants of the original Jedi Order in hiding. I deduced that from a picture...without watching the video. Which leads me to my next question: What exactly did you mean by your question, my friend? I sense some hostility, especially since I'm apparently being lumped-in with Mr. Sunshine. (lol) (I say that with affection, feat.)

P.S. By the way, I was joking (mostly) about the "Jedi Han" thing. Didn't you read the part where I said I was intrigued, Joe? Call it a "positive critique/skepticism". (lol)

Did you two watch the video in the link?

Well, to be honest Joe, I hadn't. I was commenting purely on first impressions. But I'll tell ya what...I did go back and watch it, and it has not changed my mind. To reveal more Jedi-users immediately prior to the adventures of someone that's referred to as the galaxy's "new hope" seems to diminish the level of uniqueness and importance that used to be Luke Skywalker's role in the downfall of the Empire and the re-establishment of the Jedi Order. To have survived the purge for almost twenty years must mean "Cowboy Jedi" is a pretty powerful and significant Jedi, I would think.

1384990993521902_animate.gif

Someone "gets it!"

"diminishing importance"...exactly what ive been saying about the Iquisitor and Darth Vader. Hell, that's what oversaturation has done to SW period.

The most amazing part of that video was the gray hair on Freddie...wow, havent seen him in a while, I guess.

I asked because it didn't seem like you did watch it... ;)

That being said, it doesn't seem like he's going to be running around like he's the new savior from the Empire. It looks like he doesn't use his lightsaber much an by what they said, hid it away and survived on being a regular "Joe"... It doesn't take great Jedi skills to throw your lightsaber in the junk drawer and donate your Jedi issued robes to the nearest thrift store and then go about your ways like everyone else. Do they portray him as a hero type character.. of course they do, the story would be pretty dull of they didn't.. but they need that, and they need a villain too.. which is why they have the Inquisitor, you don't send Darth Vader out to the outer rim to stomp out some small town farmers and unhappy ship builders.

My hope is they do with the story like they did with The Clone Wars and half the episodes don't always have Jedi A and Imperial B as lead characters, but have the troopers and the small guys as some of the lead roles. We'll see.

And yeah, I was like.. WHOS THIS OLD GUY WITH GRAY HAIR.. OOOH, THAT'S FREDDIE?!?!?

He's the "coolest guy in the universe!" (insert booming, echoing voice)

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-star-wars-rebels--gets-its-first-jedi--freddie-prinze-jr--to-play-kanan--the--coolest-guy-in-the-universe-100233543.html

I might start to agree with devilbat and feat about how this is getting a little too close to New Hope chronologically to stay in keeping with Alek Guiness' narrative of the Jedi Knights. I assume THAT is still continuity that no one is willing to sweep under the rug.......right......?

Oh well, I personally didn't pay close attention to any previous Star Wars animation and that probably won't change with this one.

He's the "coolest guy in the universe!" (insert booming, echoing voice)

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-star-wars-rebels--gets-its-first-jedi--freddie-prinze-jr--to-play-kanan--the--coolest-guy-in-the-universe-100233543.html

I might start to agree with devilbat and feat about how this is getting a little too close to New Hope chronologically to stay in keeping with Alek Guiness' narrative of the Jedi Knights. I assume THAT is still continuity that no one is willing to sweep under the rug.......right......?

Oh well, I personally didn't pay close attention to any previous Star Wars animation and that probably won't change with this one.

you deserve the "Citizen Kane" clap as well, sir!

from that article, front page on Yahoo:

"We've seen a villain and we've seen a droid. Now, for "Star Wars" fans who've always wanted to see Han Solo pick up a lightsaber, "Star Wars Rebels" is ready to give you the next best thing. Executive producer Dave Filoni calls new character Kanan a "cowboy Jedi," as quick with a blaster as he is the lightsaber."

UGH. @grumpy@

I can ignore the toons, too. But the question we should be waiting for an answer on with much skepticism, is how much of this same, blatant nerd catering will seep into the new movies? The lightsaber is quite the weapon to be fearful of...to decent storytelling.

but they need that, and they need a villain too.. which is why they have the Inquisitor, you don't send Darth Vader out to the outer rim to stomp out some small town farmers and unhappy ship builders.

Imperial might, advanced weapons, and legions of Stormtroopers lead by cunning, sharp-tongued Brits were enough for 2 generations for fans, pre-prequels.