Star Wars "Rebels" Animated Series

Bespin refugee

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see.

I'll remain optimistic for now.

Clone Wars started off really weak but eventually it got pretty good. Some very neat stuff going on in there. Not all of it, but some neat stuff.

I remember in the old Marvel Comics they were STILL meeting Jedis who escaped the Purge after the destruction of the Death Star.

And then there's the Purge itself. All that stuff in between Ep 3 and 4. There's some neat stories in there if that's where they're going.

It's pretty much like The Clone Wars, although, I read they weren't able to do a straight transition of the animation models from TCW to Rebels. It sounds like there will be a lot of OT homages, from McQuarrie's artwork to the vehicles/Characters/locations to things like the vintage Imp Troop Transport and the figure's weapons.

I'm not a huge fan of the Vintage Kenner panels on the TIE. :-/ By the way, attendees of the panel received TIE panel shaped pins w/ 'Sienar Fleet Systems' (or something close) printed on the back, and I just found out about this: http://www.sienarfleetsystems.com/

With just a 5 yr gap until ANH, I wonder how long it'll be before we see some OT easter eggs, ie: Bail Organa (14 yr old Leia?), Mon Mothma, Gen. Dodonna, Biggs, etc...The Kessel Run (I'm not expecting/wanting to see Han/Chewie/Lando*, just maybe references?

*Personally, I think Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Han Solo, The Falcon, Lando, and Cloud City should be left alone until their OT reveals

Here I thought this series was gonna be concentrating on the rebel alliance battles in ships or sabotage missions a la Rogue Squadron or Wraith Squadron books but the presence of that Inquisitor or Dark Jedi tells me we're heading in a very different path. Speaking of that dark jedi he looks familiar like I have seen him before oh wait he has pretty much the same look as many dark jedis and sith before him.

Here I thought this series was gonna be concentrating on the rebel alliance battles in ships or sabotage missions a la Rogue Squadron or Wraith Squadron books but the presence of that Inquisitor or Dark Jedi tells me we're heading in a very different path. Speaking of that dark jedi he looks familiar like I have seen him before oh wait he has pretty much the same look as many dark jedis and sith before him.

14 years after ROTS...what, isn't that 6 years before ANH? yknow, where they talk about Jedi in terms of "old sorcerer's ways," "hokey religions," and how the lightsabre is a relic of the past.

it was hard enough to believe the galaxy forgot about jedi between those films, and now they bring out even more Jedi? I there an episode where the Emperor shoots his dominion with a re-tard ray?

I think people are looking into this new "bad guy" a little too much. I'm sure they want to save Darth Vader for ANH.. so of course, we need a leading roll character for the Empire in this show. In the beginning of the panel, he even says they're "not even going to talk about the Rebels, that give the TV show it's name, not talking about the heroes. Today we are going to talk about the opposition. The bad guys>" So yeah, the show's about the Rebels... they just wanted to tease us with the Empire.

As for the Inquisitor hunting down Jedi, I doubt it'll happen in every single episode. In the panel, he even says it about 38mins into it.. They're aware of Order 66 signifying something very important, and that they do not want to diminish the importance of Luke being the "last of the Jedi". I dunno, I read that as maybe one or two episode arc were Jedi(s) are hunted down.. could be more, but I doubt it.. and if you think about it, there were thousands of Jedis.. I highly doubt they were able to wipe out every single one with order 66. In the panel, he even talks about the Inquisitors being mentioned in the early 90s in some way about being these sinister agents that were sent out to hunt down the remaining Jedi, so it's not a new thought by far.

My guess is since they're started out saying they're still a year away from the show coming out. Next SDCC, they'll reveal "The Rebels".. and we'll finally get a better grasp on how and what the show will be about.

For now, I'm really happy with the reveals, I watched the whole panel, and I can't wait. Love the McQuarrie look!

EDIT:

Another thing to note, a key thing was mentioned at the very end of the panel. Rebels takes place in a very localized part of the galaxy, it's not in the heart of the galaxy, a lot of it takes place on the planet they're talking about.. just picture what happens in Rebels, it's just a small tiny puzzle piece of the story of the "rebels" that rise up against the Empire. Thnking of it that way, kind of makes you think of all the hundreds or thousands of other stories that could come from all over the galaxy. It would be cool if a couple seasons into Rebels, all of a sudden, we see new rebels in a different part of the galaxy, and then again, a few years down the line, different ones again, and again, and again.. etc. Granted, we don't know what they have planned, but still, just the thought is exciting.

Okay...I may be getting a little more excited about this. I too love the "'McQuarrie-esque" concept imagery, and I love the more humanoid-looking villain. They're usually a cyborg or non-humanoid alien. He kinda puts me in the mind of Admiral Thrawn in a way, who is one of my favorite expanded universe characters.

I'm not sure, but he resembles the Aliens that are on Utapau, the Pau'an

Okay...I may be getting a little more excited about this. I too love the "'McQuarrie-esque" concept imagery, and I love the more humanoid-looking villain. They're usually a cyborg or non-humanoid alien. He kinda puts me in the mind of Admiral Thrawn in a way, who is one of my favorite expanded universe characters.

Same here.. I'm really digging the Empires look... oh and, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE USE THE IMPERIAL MARCH!!!

For anyone interested, Inquisitors

I also like the McQuarrie look to the show, as well as the use of unused OT concept designs

The setup for this series reminds me of the cut-scene dialogue between Biggs & Luke

Biggs: "...What good is all your uncle's work if it's taken over by the Empire?...You know they're starting to nationalize commerce in the central systems...it won't be long before your uncle is merely a tenant, slaving for the greater glory of the Empire.

Luke: It couldn't happen here. You said it yourself. The Empire won't bother with this rock.

Biggs: Things always change."

Imperial Propaganda Poster Revealed

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested, Inquisitors

I also like the McQuarrie look to the show, as well as the use of unused OT concept designs

The setup for this series reminds me of the cut-scene dialogue between Biggs & Luke

Biggs: "...What good is all your uncle's work if it's taken over by the Empire?...You know they're starting to nationalize commerce in the central systems...it won't be long before your uncle is merely a tenant, slaving for the greater glory of the Empire.

Luke: It couldn't happen here. You said it yourself. The Empire won't bother with this rock.

Biggs: Things always change."

I remember this from the novel

Yeah, as someone noted, Imperial Inquisitors are not a new thing, by any stretch. They've been in novels, comics, role-playing games and video games for decades now.

As for the bits about Jedi running around the OT era...we've had examples of that for just as long. The thing is, Luke may not REALLY have been "the last of the Jedi" in the most technical sense of the word...but he was the last Jedi that mattered (as horrible a thing as that may be to say) and of course the first of the new Jedi. There wasn't anybody else that was going to be able to change the galaxy the way he did, because any other remaining Jedi from the old Order would not have been able to defeat Vader or the Emperor.

That, and as has been revealed in the comics and novels and whatnot the "extinction" of the Jedi was more than little bit of Imperial propaganda. Palpatine knew there were still remnants of the Jedi out there, but he considered them a negligible threat because their power base was broken. He formed the Inquisitors to "mop up" what was left and occasionally let Vader off his leash to take out some of the more powerful/cunning ones. Then when the deed was done he'd put out a story where Vader killed many times more Jedi than he actually did to inflate the belief the Jedi were finished. Still, as early as a few weeks after Order 66, Palpatine already didn't really give a crap about the remaining Jedi (See the first "Purge" Comic...which is also just a hellaciously fun read, anyway). He didn't even care about Yoda...that's how arrogant Palpatine was, and that arrogance rubbed off on a lot of his higher commanders, administrators, etc... ("Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways, Lord Vader!")

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...