MOVIE STORM SHADOW AND DESTRO

Jeff

i don't know why but breaker makes me happy i'm already thinking of ways to put him in my joeverse(he's the original breaker's kid from a affair he had with a iraqi or afganie woman)

heavy-duty is up next one badass mofo and if roadblock does come in the sequel just imagine his gun

stormshadow is better and who says he will be wearing the jacket during fights

baroness...........marry me

james mccullian destro i like him no crappy disco collar and tights, the mask will be there i know it but really if you run a weapons company you would want to humanize yourself in as most ways possable. so wearing a metal mask that would make Dr.doom uneasy is not the best thing so when he does dawn the mask it will be a great point of the movie plus M.A.R.S

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, not to beat this tired donkey dead...("Hey donkey, you and I have a score to settle!", *sound of repeated kicks* "eeeh ahhh" *sound of 9mm being loaded* *bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang,* "eeeh gurgle gurgle ahhh gurgle" *bang, bang, bang,* "Son of B!#$@, guns jammed!" *bang, bang, bang,* "Gurgle, gurgle" *pool of blood*), but I have a few mature things to say. First off, to all my fellow G.I. Joe fans, I made it only as far as stepping into my studio and realized that I'd rather sell my first born than subject myself to the personally afflicted pain of burning my Joe memorabilia over a bad movie. While rolled up in fetal position sucking my thumb and in the other hand, clasping a handful of my prized 25th anniversary figures, I had the following collected thoughts.

Just because people are fans of something and have a tendency to be slightly touchy when their life's passion is being tampered with, doesn't mean they are too erratic and stoopified (sp mistake purposeful) to logically judge what looks to be a bad film. I for one am offended and have been offended at Hollywood's choices on so many possibly great and cool films that have been botched by politics and bad directors. (addressing comic book genre type films...Hulk, Daredevil, Punisher, Batman 3 & 4, X-men 3 (pissing match with studio, budget problems, and huge politics (by the way, a friend of mine worked very closely on this one, it was a mess)) Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, just to name a few off hand.) If their choices were to appease the general public then they are doing something very wrong. Side not: Kudos to Christopher Nolan by the way for not only redeeming the Batman franchise, but setting a standard for kick ass action films and settling dismayed fans hearts.

Movie goers are not as foolish and dimwitted as they have been treated throughout the years. It's time that Hollywood rethinks the way they do things, mostly by handing creative control back to the artists rather than letting some executives, bum of a nephew, who can't get a college degree, make suggestions and green light films. (whole other subject) Point is, people are smart. I showed the screen shots to my girlfriend, who thoroughly enjoys action movies with me, (just accompanied me to Iron Man and loved it. Rather well done I have to say) and immediately said, "That looks like some ##$%$#ed sci-fi film. Granted her and her friend subjected me to License To Wed this evening, but still, her instinct was correct. I then passed the screen shots onto three of my action movie amigos (who would disown me for my License To Wed evening if they caught wind of it) and telling them nothing about what the movie was, one of them said, and I quote, "That reminds me of that crappy Street Fighter film." The other two immediately said something along the lines of "Is this a joke?" None of these people are Joe fans. And just to prove one more point, all of them laughed at Storm Shadows costume design.

Lastly, I would just like to point out that when researched you will notice that Steven Sommers has brought in Brandon Frasier and Dwayne Johnson from his previous films. Yes, most directors work closely with their actors throughout their careers, (politics and Family Mob Friendships out here) but Brandon Frasier as Gung Ho?... Give me a break. If this movie was put into the right hands you could use almost all the normal attire from the 80's with a bit of sprucing up and stick to realism which could pan out for one bad ass film. While I'm jumping around, please everyone take a moment to see who is credited for the screen play on IMDB and tell me if you're confident in a good story line.

Yes I might sound picky and pessimistic about this, but with good reason. Do I want this to suck...? No, I wish this the best, especially as a fan. I'm proud of what G.I. Joe stands for and I'm proud of how it taught young boys to be manly. I'm proud that I won't have to whip out Poke'mon trading cards one day and tell my kids, "This is what daddy played with as a kid and this Barbie Doll here in my other hand, this is what your other daddy played with as a kid."

This was all in response to the gentleman who said he is scriptwriter. It's late and I have no more energy to find his comment and reply directly to it

Something I think we can all agree upon is this final statement:

YO JOE!

Look, we have a HANDFUL of pictures. That's it.

We know little of the actual story and we know NOTHING beyond what we see in this handful of pics. As others said above, its entirely possible these are special missions type outfits while they get to wear other duds (whether "character accurate" or not) for most of the movie. We DON'T KNOW.

I don't really care so much how they are dressed as long as the "acting" is good. The problem I have with the pics is that the guy on the rope with the eyepiece is supposed to be Breaker? Well, if the actor can make me believe he's Breaker, then it don't matter what he wears.

Ok, we've seen the Joes.

Now lets see the COBRAS. I won't be surprised if we don't see Cobra Commander pre-movie. But I WOULD like to see what trooper types they plan to use. Blueshirts? Vipers? [subtype]-Vipers? Red Ninja (man I hope not!)? B.A.T.s?

yes, all we have seen are pictures so far..

However, from what I have seen, the early pictures are almost always very indicative of the kind of movie it will be. When I look back at all the comic movies or movies that are based on a property from another pop culture medium, the ones that stay true to the appearance of the source material almost ALWAYS adhere to the strength of the property as a whole, and thus turn out to be better movies.

the ones that don't look like the source usually suck., In fact, I can't think of a movie that made drastic changes to the appearance of the source that turned out to be good....

help me out, somebody... think of a movie that drastically changed the appearance of the source and was any good?

Look, we have a HANDFUL of pictures. That's it.

We know little of the actual story and we know NOTHING beyond what we see in this handful of pics. As others said above, its entirely possible these are special missions type outfits while they get to wear other duds (whether "character accurate" or not) for most of the movie. We DON'T KNOW.

I don't really care so much how they are dressed as long as the "acting" is good. The problem I have with the pics is that the guy on the rope with the eyepiece is supposed to be Breaker? Well, if the actor can make me believe he's Breaker, then it don't matter what he wears.

Ok, we've seen the Joes.

Now lets see the COBRAS. I won't be surprised if we don't see Cobra Commander pre-movie. But I WOULD like to see what trooper types they plan to use. Blueshirts? Vipers? [subtype]-Vipers? Red Ninja (man I hope not!)? B.A.T.s?

yes, all we have seen are pictures so far..

However, from what I have seen, the early pictures are almost always very indicative of the kind of movie it will be. When I look back at all the comic movies or movies that are based on a property from another pop culture medium, the ones that stay true to the appearance of the source material almost ALWAYS adhere to the strength of the property as a whole, and thus turn out to be better movies.

the ones that don't look like the source usually suck., In fact, I can't think of a movie that made drastic changes to the appearance of the source that turned out to be good....

help me out, somebody... think of a movie that drastically changed the appearance of the source and was any good?

Blade...... @firedevil@

Look at how many years they've been trying to reinvent the ARAH version of G.I.JOE and all it's characters? Style change after style change, new characters, old characters in different uniforms, theme after theme, Sigma Six and so on....

but what did it take to re-ignite and BLOW UP the popularity and sales of G.I.Joe the RAH line?

The 25th anniversary line, and the Joes & Cobra characters as we've always know, recognized and LOVED them!

Seems a movie version could LEARN a little something about this, and stick to the source.

Destro in a business suit and without his MASK???? @hmmm@

In otherwords, to give the actor playing him FACE time, we'll see Destro like this for the majority of the film, only to see him as we KNOW him, for maybe 10 mins of it.

Blade, V for Vendetta, Transformers (arguably), Fight Club, The Bourne Films, Alien v Predator franchise (pays homage to the comics, but a little different).

Just off the top of my head...

Blade, V for Vendetta, Transformers (arguably), Fight Club, The Bourne Films, Alien v Predator franchise (pays homage to the comics, but a little different).

Blade in the comics was a Black guy in a leather jacket.........in the movie black guy in leather. Hmmm???

V pretty much looked like V from the graphic novel.

At least Transformers got a great action director and Spielberg as a producer. Not to mention a great cast.

From what I understand the AVP movies are no where near what the comics were. Just cause something pays homage doesn't mean its good. In a way you can say any movie pays homage.

Even great properties can go "awful" with different directors........look at X3.....Ratner came in a stunk up the joint.

Looking at these pictures and the tones of Sommers past films........its going to be something like the MOTU movie. In terms of straying away from source material and whats actually on film.

um.. how about the one that started this whole changing things for the masses and making huge multimillion dollar blockbusters... X-MEN

Remember when pictures of the characters all leathered up were released and all the fanboys hearts exploded?

um.. how about the one that started this whole changing things for the masses and making huge multimillion dollar blockbusters... X-MEN

Remember when pictures of the characters all leathered up were released and all the fanboys hearts exploded?

and? X-men SUCKED!!!!!!!

X-men sucked. Xmen 2 sucked. X3 was even worse.

Blade wasn't all that different IMO. I look at blade from the 90's, pretty similar to the movie.

Transformers wasn't good. It wasn't terrible. It had nice action, and that is it. Crap story. Crap acting. I don't see the point of changing the characters so much for the movie. They didn't look the same or have the same personalities.

I am not familiar with the book Fight Club, so I don't know of any visuals that came from it.

same with the Bourne Films.

as for AVP, didn't the movie still have Aliens and Predators in it?? or did they change them? I dont know the comics.

I never read X-Men comic books or ever collect the toys.

I liked the first 2 X-Men movies, have never seen the 3rd.

I never watched TF cartoons nor collected the toys.

I liked the movie version, thought it very entertaining enough to buy the DVD.

I know it's highly likely that my unfamiliarity with both properties prior history, allowed me to just enjoy them for what they were ON SCREEN, and not so much per my expectations out of them, for having been a long time fan, but there are just as many examples to cite of movies made out of properties I was familiar with, and they either lived up to my expectations or did not.

I still think the trend in Hollyweird right now, is to try a "RE-IMAGINE" all these properties they're taking on, and use the excuse, it's to attract the "main audience" and not "just the existing fans", who they seem to think they've got cornered regardless, so they go for mass appeal at the expense of all that made the property so appealing to a LARGE audience (apparently) to begin with, that had to be the case anyway, considering the film makers looked at it....at all.

Tons of fans bought up the property and it's story for years....but Hollyweird thinks they have to tamper with that, to appeal to what....TWO TONS of fans instead? How much tampering will they do, before it not only alienates the existing fans, but NOW shows the property to the non-fans who might very well pan and poo poo on it, and drive a stake in the heart of the property for ever more?

Let's just say....I'm leary.

Blade wasn't all that different IMO. I look at blade from the 90's, pretty similar to the movie.

Transformers wasn't good. It wasn't terrible. It had nice action, and that is it. Crap story. Crap acting. I don't see the point of changing the characters so much for the movie. They didn't look the same or have the same personalities.

I am not familiar with the book Fight Club, so I don't know of any visuals that came from it.

as for AVP, didn't the movie still have Aliens and Predators in it?? or did they change them? I dont know the comics.

I'm call b.s on this...movie Blade (Black leather, swords, gunz) was VERY different from comic Blade (funky sunglasses, WOODEN stakes, green coat). That movie (NOT X-men, as someone stated) is the MAIN reason we are having this discussion now. Blade showed comic book movies can be good...I don't think the same would have happened if he sported that green coat and those goggles and stabbed vamps with wooded stakes. Basically the movie turned Blade into the Punisher of the vampire world. The comic followed suit soon afterwards (the infamous Bart Sears version springs to mind). For all intents and purposes, black emphatizes stealth and "eliteness". It makes sense Blade would wear it, it made sense (in the movies) why the X-men wore it and it makes sense why the Joes would wear it as well. Again I'd be much more intimidated by a soldier in black (or any other UNIFORM as opposed to some dude in a palm tree shirt and surfer hair).

TF was what it was....and intro to a franchise...don't tell me that when 2 rolls around nobody will know who is who wand what is going on....and movie ticket and DVD sales disagree with you on how "good" TF was.

I'm call b.s on this...movie Blade (Black leather, swords, gunz) was VERY different from comic Blade (funky sunglasses, WOODEN stakes, green coat). That movie (NOT X-men, as someone stated) is the MAIN reason we are having this discussion now. Blade showed comic book movies can be good...I don't think the same would have happened if he sported that green coat and those goggles and stabbed vamps with wooded stakes. Basically the movie turned Blade into the Punisher of the vampire world. The comic followed suit soon afterwards (the infamous Bart Sears version springs to mind). For all intents and purposes, black emphatizes stealth and "eliteness". It makes sense Blade would wear it, it made sense (in the movies) why the X-men wore it and it makes sense why the Joes would wear it as well. Again I'd be much more intimidated by a soldier in black (or any other UNIFORM as opposed to some dude in a palm tree shirt and surfer hair).

TF was what it was....and intro to a franchise...don't tell me that when 2 rolls around nobody will know who is who wand what is going on....and movie ticket and DVD sales disagree with you on how "good" TF was.

uh no. You are thinking of the 70's Blade... the movie version was more of the 90's MIDNIGHT SONS Blade. Check some comics out, that is what he was like.

As for Transformers... again, was that movie improved in anyway by changing their personalities and appearances??? don't think so. It wasn't good, but lots of people are into it just because of the visual effects and their kids. You telling me a crappy movie has never done well at the box office? TF can still do well because people are into the flash and not the substance.... GiJoe prolly will too. Doesn't mean it will be good.

Well for designs i don't mind destro. The mask is too unreleastic for me and i'd prefer it stayed off. I know i'm alone on this. but hey, whatever.

and breaker looks more like hi-tech ! just can't see that as breaker even worse than the others.

as to the other comic movie discussion:Blade was also different in that he could smell vampires but didn't have all of their powers correct? Blade was definatly the restart of cool comic movies, i think Burton's batman was pretty good but it's been marred by Sheumacers sequels. Anyways back to changes. When changes make sense, i'm alright with them. X-men to black, no problem. This made sense to me, stealthy more realistic, simple more aestheticly pleaseing then seeing men in spendex. But This movie? This isn't a change to black it's a change to sigma suits, it's a change of character origin and even actions.. (wich is a major problem i had with x-men 3, the way they changed character devolpment, wolverine was a leader... when?)

I can understand using advanced tecnology but nano nits to control someones minds? Cobra commander isn't a terrorist, he is a mad sceintist in the movie. It also adds sympathy to the villians here, oh they were just mind controlled. What message is this story trying to convey? If it's based of the marvel comics (which it isn't, despite what we have been told) several messages came across from those stories. American soliders are heroes, there are terrorists out there who want to kill us, these villians can come from within and without. These aren't terrorists and these aren't soliders. This has gone more unrealistic than it's supposed source material.

Want them to be Nato rather than USA? re shot or cut out or atler, some scenes to show a nato or U.N. headquaters rather than an american based one. Just a few words could be changed here or there w/o cramming it down our throats. Future tech? Fine but body enhancing super suits and soliders that don't appear to even wear helmets?

This isn't G.I.Joe this is G.I.J.O.E. and i don't like it.

I'm a child of the '80s through and through. G.I. Joe and Transformers were my top two favorite properties. Having said that, I've always longed to see live-action movies made about them.

Over the years, I would see movies here and there that had shades of G.I. Joe in them. The Rambo movies. Commando. Predator. Gosh...Aliens comes to mind immediately. I never understood why Hollywood didn't catch up to the rest of us and realize G.I. Joe was cool enough to garner a movie.

I was also always a comic book fan, so naturally whenever rumors would emerge about a film adaptation, I'd wait eagerly for the results. In my personal experience, nine times out of ten my expectations were either met or exceeded.

I'll refer to the original Batman. "Tim Burton's the director?? Huh. Isn't he the guy that did Beetlejuice? Interesting. Michael Keaton's gonna be Batman?? Didn't he PLAY Beetlejuice?! No way!!" (lol) But I reserved judgement, and turns out I loved the movie. They changed the look of the costume, used a strange, unexpected choice for the lead role, and I loved it.

Transformers embody alot of memories for me. I grew up playing with them with my brother. I loved the animated movie. I have definite ideas as to what the Autobots and Decepticons looked like and were all about. Now we all know what happened there. But you know what? Despite the radical changes to the robot designs and alt. modes, again I ended up loving the movie.

Looking back on my childhood though, G.I. Joe was my favorite. I had alot of the toys. I never missed the show. I had most of the comics...it was just my thing. Now I'm no Joe expert; heck, I sold all of my original Joes, even some recent modern collections. Now all I have are some GvsC two-packs and a growing 25th Anniversary collection. I do still have a handful of my original vintage Joes, but my point is this: As with Transformers, I have distinct ideas as to what G.I. Joe is and what it's all about. And I'm hoping that, as with Transformers, for me personally, where my ideas were challenged, and I ended-up loving it, the same will happen with the G.I. Joe film. I first balked at the all-black, Sigma-6-ish tactical suits. But I have to admit, they have grown on me. Are they the suits/looks I would have went with? Probably not. I would have prefered they looked more like a cross between the rescue team in Predator and the Colonial Marines in Aliens, but maybe that's just me.

And I'm not too keen on their choice for who's playing Cobra Commander (don't remember his name), but I've been pleasantly suprised before. Storm Shadow's costume? Ahh...don't know what to think about that yet. (lol) Gotta keep an open mind there.

So far I like who they've gotten to play everyone else. And...I have to admit, I'm really liking that pic of Heavy Duty. Looks badass. Love that mini-gatlin gun thing he's sporting. I would have preferred Roadblock of course, but oh well...

Love Snake-Eyes, and I can't help but love Hawk; I love Dennis Quaid, and I like his new look.

I don't want to downplay anyone else's opinion, because frankly, I would also have preferred a G.I. Joe movie that fit's more of what I grew up with; the cartoon, the comics, etc. But like I said, if they change and tweak it and it's cool, then I'm okay. It seems like it would be so simple, to see a beloved property translated faithfully into a film, and then everyone else would see why the rest of us think it's so great. But unfortunately, Hollywood doesn't work that way. I personally feel like I can't change it by complaining now, so why do so and upset myself in the process? Now a few hundred thousand fans might make a studio sit up and take notice, but from the look of the pics, they're well into development and aren't likely to change much at this point. The only solace I could offer to the enbittered fans is look at what they did to the Hulk franchise; they made a movie that opened to mixed reviews, and now we're anticipating an entirely new film within a ten-year period or so. They did the same thing with Batman when that franchise went south. If you don't like this version of G.I. Joe, then just wait a few years; if it's popular enough they'll just do it over. (lol)

I'm just gonna sit, bide my time, wait and reserve judgement until I actually see the movie. The pics may actually be a precursor to how bad the movie will be, but we just won't know for sure until we see the movie for ourselves. I just think it's cool they're even making a G.I. Joe film after all these years, even if it isn't the G.I. Joe we recognize from our childhood. And I've said from day one that the new designs seem custom fit for a cool toy line. Even if the movie tanks, the toys will look cool. (lol)

uh no. You are thinking of the 70's Blade... the movie version was more of the 90's MIDNIGHT SONS Blade. Check some comics out, that is what he was like.

As for Transformers... again, was that movie improved in anyway by changing their personalities and appearances??? don't think so. It wasn't good, but lots of people are into it just because of the visual effects and their kids. You telling me a crappy movie has never done well at the box office? TF can still do well because people are into the flash and not the substance.... GiJoe prolly will too. Doesn't mean it will be good.

No the ninties Blade was updated after the movie (he was bitten by Morbius) that changed him to the more Daywalker persona that was in line with the film.

All I'm saying it that comics can do anything with costumes, transforming etc. Visually with the exception of a select few (Snake Eyes, Baroness) things do need to change. Yeah it's not the GI Joe I grew up with but again being active duty what they wear makes sense. A elite functioning army would be uniform, have some type of armor, and just maybe for the cool kick ass factor be black. They're still who they are just on common outfit translates better to the screen and lets the non GI JOE heads know this is a elite unit. People wearing yellow and whatnot don't convey that (except maybe to the folks who collect the toys, read the comics, and hated on Sigma 6 (which I thought was cool by the way). I'm still saying give the movie a chance.....I stated earlier that people were complaining about the movie figs when the pics showed up. After they saw the movie I remember many a person lamenting they could find they're fav fig (BB). I'm calling it now the very same people bemoaning the costumes now will be looking for fig x next year and lamenting cuz they can't find it.

No the ninties Blade was updated after the movie (he was bitten by Morbius) that changed him to the more Daywalker persona that was in line with the film.

All I'm saying it that comics can do anything with costumes, transforming etc. Visually with the exception of a select few (Snake Eyes, Baroness) things do need to change. Yeah it's not the GI Joe I grew up with but again being active duty what they wear makes sense. A elite functioning army would be uniform, have some type of armor, and just maybe for the cool kick ass factor be black. They're still who they are just on common outfit translates better to the screen and lets the non GI JOE heads know this is a elite unit. People wearing yellow and whatnot don't convey that (except maybe to the folks who collect the toys, read the comics, and hated on Sigma 6 (which I thought was cool by the way). I'm still saying give the movie a chance.....I stated earlier that people were complaining about the movie figs when the pics showed up. After they saw the movie I remember many a person lamenting they could find they're fav fig (BB). I'm calling it now the very same people bemoaning the costumes now will be looking for fig x next year and lamenting cuz they can't find it.

No

In the first issue of Nightstalkers Blade was wearing the black leather and not the green coat anymore, that look is what the movie version was based off of. It was not until later in that series that they did the Midnight Sons crossover where Blade was bitten by Morbius, all that did was make him have more vampireistic features.

After Midnight Sons folded there was a few other Blade regular series and limited series where he looked alot like the movie version.

That is just going by his look and not powers. He did get more like the movie Blade as far as powers go after Morbius bit him but his appearance had changed before that.

I dont know if anyone saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs4RYwl7fa0

seemes like this movie is a big joke to him

so...from what he says.. we can tell about the movie:

GiJoe is completely over the top.

GiJoe is not serious at all.

GiJoe is wackier than Third Rock From the Sun.

GiJoe is not a movie that makes you think.

GiJoe is just fun.

GiJoe bares absoltely no resemblance to reality.

so uh... why did we have to get the cheesy new costumes??? Oh right, because they are more realistic and will translate better on screen.

hmm.. that is two of the stars so far that have admitted that GiJoe is just a stupid movie..... great.

I dont know if anyone saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs4RYwl7fa0

seemes like this movie is a big joke to him

so...from what he says.. we can tell about the movie:

GiJoe is completely over the top.

GiJoe is not serious at all.

GiJoe is wackier than Third Rock From the Sun.

GiJoe is not a movie that makes you think.

GiJoe is just fun.

GiJoe bares absoltely no resemblance to reality.

so uh... why did we have to get the cheesy new costumes??? Oh right, because they are more realistic and will translate better on screen.

hmm.. that is two of the stars so far that have admitted that GiJoe is just a stupid movie..... great.

Couldn't have said it better myself.........I know its based on toys and its not being translated from a literary classic or anything.....but there are just sooooo many signs to this being a bad movie.......not just a bad Joe movie but a bad movie period.

Plus, I saw something interesting this past weekend.....it was a interview with Robert Downey Jr. who said that the actors on Iron Man wanted to go the extra distance because they wanted it to be more than just a "popcorn flick." Granted, the cast of Iron Man is somewhat beyond what a normal comic movie cast gets........5 actors previously nominated for Oscars.........but it shows when actors are just phoning it in. The cast of GI Joe seems like they are all just getting a paycheck from what I've seen in interviews........for that stupid "popcorn flick". Like they are embarrassed they are in it or something.

Someone at Hasbro should get a publicist for these guys.........even Harrison Ford doesn't make himself look that ridiculous when he's talking about how he doesn't "get" all the Star Wars stuff.

I know they are just actors and they really don't care but as a movie fan too......I want to see a good movie as well. It just has crap written all over it.