Supergirl Drama On The CW!

Kill Solo

'Supergirl' TV Series In Development From Greg Berlanti & Ali Adler
Greg Berlanti & Ali Adler's 'Supergirl' Lands CBS Series Commitment
Casting Of Characters For CBS' 'Supergirl' Series
Could CBS's "Supergirl" Crossover With The CW's "Arrow" Or "The Flash"?

From Deadline Hollywoood:

"Supergirl, Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler’s drama based on the DC female superhero, has landed at CBS with a series commitment. The deal closed last night, a day after the project was taken out to the broadcast networks on Wednesday. I hear the size of commitment eclipses the series commitment DC Batman drama Gotham got at Fox last fall. Warner Bros. TV is producing with studio-based Berlanti Prods."

All I have to say is FINALLY!

Now let's hope they pick a great female lead.

mdgimr2qkpondf4m9txd_zpspmt2ytfu.jpg

way to jump on the bandwagon, CBS! Straight to series? good luck.

Seriously? CBS has always been the leader in gambling on superhero-fantasy programming: They made the deal with Universal and Marvel that gave us TV series for The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man, two Captain America TV movies, and one for Dr. Strange. And I know I don't even have to mention Wonder Woman or The Flash. They even ordered a pilot for a JLA series which, while interesting, thankfully was never picked up for series.

Basically, they didn't jump on the bandwagon, they OWN it.

Mind you, all those other shows were before they had the clout you only get from being the home of the biggest hits on TV (CSI franchise, NCIS, Big Bang Theory, etc.), so yes, they can afford the risk.

Things I want to see:

The Suit. I'm talking the cape, the "S", the colors. No wind breakers, overcoats, biker jackets, hoodies, sunglasses or eye-shadow masks.

Appropriate love interests only. No creepy teen-hungry gardeners (I'm looking at you Hart Bochner).

Some reference to Superman.

Stunt casting seems to be the order of the day, so I better see me some Helen Slater.

Things I DON'T want to see:

No snarky Gilmore-esque dialogue. Nobody ever talked like that . . . EVER.

No more Chloe clones. Veronica and Felicity were more than enough.

No girl on girl (No offence, but my nieces will be watching this so lets keep it family appropriate 'kay.)

And most importantly . . .

NO EARTH-ANGEL!!!

way to jump on the bandwagon, CBS! Straight to series? good luck.

probably should have waited to see Constantine and Gotham cancelled after one season.

LOL. Three comic book TV shows judged sight unseen in one post! A new record?

I only count two...and I've seen the Constantine pilot. I haven't seen the other, but I've heard enough hypocrisy from people that have bashed the Bat-film franchise(particularly Burton Bats) for putting emphasis on the villains over the hero and yet are gaga over the hype of "Gotham Babies" to take it seriously. Also, we're talking fox and NBC again. Double good luck.

Ive also seen The Flash pilot already, so :P

Seriously? CBS has always been the leader in gambling on superhero-fantasy programming: They made the deal with Universal and Marvel that gave us TV series for The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man, two Captain America TV movies, and one for Dr. Strange. And I know I don't even have to mention Wonder Woman or The Flash. They even ordered a pilot for a JLA series which, while interesting, thankfully was never picked up for series.

Basically, they didn't jump on the bandwagon, they OWN it.

That old bandwagon you describe sure isn't the same bandwagon today. The stuff in the 70s must have had some really good show pitches with some really good salesmen behind them. Real risks, y'know? Now? You said it yourself...there's little risk/gamble as far as wasted money goes. The end product could be a turd, but we got Ted Danson money to flush, baby!

Its amazing that Wonder Woman and Hulk were successful in the time they hit(real gambles)...with no superhero craze at the bigger screen to piggyback on. But the Flash 1990? Hey, that muscle suit kinda looks like...and the shadows...and that theme song...what a well-thought out, original, and bold move to do a superhero like that!

Cmon, guys...I know im overly pessimistic, but there just aren't enough successes for live-action superhero shows now not to be. The movies are working for Marvel, and DC has got a good thing with Arrow...let it, and us, breathe for &$*%# sake. I would love to see good shows for characters I love, but rush, rush, rush, rarely works.

Reb+Brown+1979.jpg

Seriously though...I love you, Reb.

Oh I agree the flood gates have opened on the superhero movies (it's even getting a bit much for my tastes) and it appears TV is next but that doesn't mean these three new shows are to suck. Even if you saw one pilot and weren't impressed doesn't mean the whole season is doomed.

Things I want to see:

No creepy teen-hungry gardeners (I'm looking at you Hart Bochner).

I better see me some Helen Slater.

Things I DON'T want to see:

No snarky Gilmore-esque dialogue. Nobody ever talked like that . . . EVER.

No more Chloe clones. Veronica and Felicity were more than enough.

And most importantly . . .

NO EARTH-ANGEL!!!

I'm sorry but I don't get any of those references (maybe I'm younger than I think :) ).

Supergirl always comes on the scene after Superman so it will be interesting to see which rout they take here. I guess I'd be pretty surprised if her adventures begin with Superman already here doing his superhero business. That would beg too many cameos. If she shows up on Earth with no Superman, I can see a lot of nit picky, canon-clinging fanboys getting upset. I may be OK with any take on the character under one condition: They don't slut her up! And since this is TV, this may be asking too much.

Is seems that's the rout DC is going with nearly every female hero in the comics since New 52 and I'm really hoping that doesn't carry over on the screen.

For the lead of the Supergirl show I hope for someone hot and can pull off being Supergirl.

I went to preview night for all WB shows. I've seen all the premieres. Constantine was alright. That show is for a very niche audience. I don't know how well it will do. Gotham, I like bits of it, but I don't see that carrying on past a couple of seasons. Arrow was Arrow. Flash, I don't know man. Flash was fun because of the crossover with Arrow. All these shows are good for the DC fan, but I don't know about the general public.

Supergirl always comes on the scene after Superman so it will be interesting to see which rout they take here.

I could see them doing something like what the Supergirl movie did. Superman exists, Supergirl knows about him and even idolizes him, she just doesn't see him (onscreen at least) because she's doing her thing in her town while he's this bigger-than-life mythical hero doing his thing in way off Metropolis.

An occasional letter from Cousin Clark, or a wistful glance at a poster or news broadcast and you have your connection to Superman without incurring the wrath of Warner Bros.' movie division.

• 3 months later...

Oh yeah, baby! The race swap! Gotta have that. Now he'll be running side by side with the gender swapped "Jenny" Olson from the movie-verse. Audiences will be completely confused but at least political correctness will be intact!

But since I really have no problem with a black Nick Fury or a (maybe) black James Bond, I guess I'll reserve judgement. It makes sense that they'd play fast and loose with Jimmy Olson anyway. In the comics they've kept him a bow tie-wearing, donut-fetching relic for 70 years, gave him a Justin Bieber haircut when they rebooted, killed him off in Smallville, and now the gender and race swap. DC doesn't care what happens with this character.

I don't agree with any of the casting so far. Virginia Gardener should have been cast as Supergirl. Olsen should have been cast as a Asian person, man or woman, if they were going to change the race. 2 strikes CBS.

Audiences will be completely confused but at least political correctness will be intact!

I really HATE anything PC it controls your language.I like you like that Nick Fury is played by Sam Jackson because he is kick ass..But Jimmy Olsen? I accepted Perry White in the new Superman movie because it fit right but too me I still think of Jimmy as a dorky white kid..Know i'm thinking of this kid playing him as a Steven Urkel

While I'm not a die hard SG fan, I am one of the largest fans...my weight is gaining just that fast....I was hoping we'd get a more PowerGirl-esque heroine....but it's a skinny-girls world....at this point I welcome any comic renditions on the small screen....nerd culture has been co-opted hard in these last years & we'd better enjoy the fact that "they" are on board to green-lighting any of these shows....I agree if it's going to be a televised turd, why even bother producing it....I will wait & hope that the Couzin of Cal-El will be real & wonderful......I'll give it a few episodes at least..@supes@.Oh and howsabout an Native American Jimmy.....I would be down for that....I'm printing up resumes & head shots right now....