Bruce Timm Is Making A New, "Darker" Justice League Animated Series

Wheeljack35

http://io9.com/bruce-timm-is-making-a-new-darker-justice-league-ani-1636289292

DCAU mastermind Bruce Timm will executive producer a new digital Justice League cartoon for Machinima to debut in spring of 2015. Titled Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles, it will be be co-produced by his Batman: The Animated Series partner Alan Burnett.

Originally announced as another DC direct-to-home video animated movie, Gods and Monsters Chronicles will now be a three-part digital series; according to Comic Book Resources it's an original story by Timm which has nothing to do with the 2001 Justice League comic of the same name. Most tellingly (via Variety):

"Chronicles" is said to revolve around a newly conceived reality in the DC universe where Justice League members Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are much darker versions of the superheroes that people know.

I can't be upset at the idea of any Bruce Timm-led DC animation, but does it really need to be darker? I swear, if DC continues this trend, eventually we're going to get a Justice League that spends all its time murdering hoboes.

I'm tired of "darker".

A darker Justice League, for the love of God, Why?

Thank You! I was starting to think I was the only one who thought this "Dark Hero" thing was getting a little out of hand.

And lets get real, Bruce Timm invented the whole friggin' DC Animated Universe. I was expecting something a little more aspirant than the same cookie cutter theme every video game, DVD, and blockbuster movie has been doing for the last 10 years.

I'm tired of "darker".

A darker Justice League, for the love of God, Why?

Thank You! I was starting to think I was the only one who thought this "Dark Hero" thing was getting a little out of hand.

And lets get real, Bruce Timm invented the whole friggin' DC Animated Universe. I was expecting something a little more aspirant than the same cookie cutter theme every video game, DVD, and blockbuster movie has been doing for the last 10 years.

While some of the stories have been good, mostly good adaptations of solid works, DC animation has left me cold. And now this "Dark Hero" thing? I can only save this so loud: PASS. The "What ifs" and the doubts we cast on our superheroes to make them more fallible (human) has never been my thing, and besides, its wearing a bit thin.

Meh...lighter and more heroic are two of the reasons I fell in love with The Avengers so much. I'd like to see a widespread return to that kind of mentality when movie-makers approach these properties. Let's leave the dark stuff for Batman.

Let's leave the dark stuff for Batman.

Yeah. I think the problem is DC has troubles getting a good following for anything besides Batman. Then they look to him and say, "Well, people love Batman and he's "dark"....let's make them ALL dark!" But that's not who the DC heroes are. At least not to me.

As far as Timm goes, for me there are certain creators who have proven themselves and I'd be more likely to give them another shot no matter what. In comics it's guys like Mark Waid and Peter David...Bruce Timm would be another. I'm not saying this is doomed to suck. But still, like I say...I'm just tired of "dark".

Meh...lighter and more heroic are two of the reasons I fell in love with The Avengers so much. I'd like to see a widespread return to that kind of mentality when movie-makers approach these properties. Let's leave the dark stuff for Batman.

Batman doesn't have to be dark to work. Brave & Bold proved that.

I wish Bruce Timm would go back to his roots, and make some more BTAS/STAS style work. Too bad Shirley Walker isn't around anymore either... her music is what made those old cartoons awesome.

Even the 2001 Justice League series lost that feel, mostly because of the music... but because the animation is noticeably generic with lower quality.

Batman Beyond was the last of the true old style Timm-verse animation IMO.

Batman doesn't have to be dark to work. Brave & Bold proved that.

I would have to disagree, I did not care for Brave and the Bold. Also, Bob Kane intended for Batman to be a dark character. That is his first truest incarnation. the 1960's and the Brave and the Bold are anomalies.

Darker or not its Bruce Timm and I would see it

Unfortunately, there are way to many writers, directors, producers, etc. putting out to much crap for me to give anyone a free pass. I don't care how great the DCAU was.

Unless it is the same animation we see on this new Teen Titans Go toon I will see it