Mattel Announces MOTU Giants Subscriptions Starting On 9/10

The Wire

love how this heading reads in the TNI forum index:

Mattel Announces MOTU Giant...

So much fun to fill in the blanks!

Mattel Announces MOTU Giant...wastes of plastic.

Mattel Announces MOTU Giant...wastes of money.

Mattel Announces MOTU Giant...headaches.

Mattel Announces MOTU Giant...failure.

Well when you've sold through all the figures in your standard size and you want to keep milking the property, change up the scale.

3 3/4" is next.

I can see that as the next scale since Mattel went through all over scales. Now they are imitating Gentle Giant's giant Star Wars line with this line. Their 1/6 line of Superman and Ghostbusters figures didn't do great, so I doubt we will see a MOTU line in that scale. Did that baby Skeletor sold well? If so, expect a baby MOTU line.

These are horrible! I cringe when I think of what all we could have got instead of these. We could have got the giants from 200x series. I would like to think more fans would have wanted those then giving us figures we already have, just bigger (take up more space cost more $$$$$ for shipping) versions. uhhh

Nor I. For collectors, available space is at a premium. I can justify it for necessarily large things like Generations Metroplex, MOTUC Castle Grayskull, and even Mattel's Voltron, but for essentially an upscaled action figure?

I am clearly not the intended market for these things.

I've seen some fans pics of their collections, and some of these people seem to have PLENTY of wall space. However, not every one does. :( I think the Star Wars jumbo figures are aimed at the wealthy toy collecting nerds. Look at Gentle Giant's 24" Alien figure... that thing is clearly priced to be sold to the rich.

Neitlich is trying to tap into the jumbo vintage figure market, but what he seems to forget is when fans compare the 12" Tytus, Megator, and Procrustus to the new 12" vintage jumbo figures, the price doesn't seem right at all. The new jumbos having the spring twist waist action does not justify $75 compared to a $40 12" Tytus manufactured in a similar fashion but with more paint apps and no action features.

But "the costs of toy manufacturing has skyrocketed!!!"

Yeah, it's silly. But like you said, the target market for jumbo figures is the rich collector niche, and TG must feel like that market won't bat an eye at an unnecessarily over-priced item.

Regardless of marketing strategy, releasing these items along with Mattel's typically heavy year end release schedule is stupid. I've never understood why they do it with MOTUC to begin with. Now Mattel has tacked on an additional $100 (cuz lets' face it, after tax and shipping, that's what you're looking at for a Jumbo). I think that's enough to give the most die-hard fan pause, even outside of the holiday-shopping season.

I agree, the timing is off as usual. They seem to do this every year during the holidays. But I'm not even sure the target market for the MOTU jumbos is the wealthy. I think they are aimed at us... the average fans who have been collecting the classics line for the past 6 years. Many fans have demonstrated that they will buy anything with the MOTU logo on the package no matter what the cost... and Scott sees this trend. The only reason for the price of these is greed. They figure GG can do it, so can Mattel... but they are going about it all wrong by selling them during the holiday season (as you said), and cheapening the product while trying to sell them for GG prices.

Another thing I noticed is some fans were ready to buy these until they saw a fan made comparison pic going around the web showing the difference between the vintage and jumbo He-Man head. This shows that some fans are clueless and are quick to spend... until they are shown the light by a simple comparison pic... a pic that Mattel certainly does not want customers to see.

I'm in the "these suck" camp along with most of you guys. I don't see how anyone would find these appealing...

I did get a few of the Gentle giant Star Wars(mostly the imperial guys) because I always loved the packaging and the figures.With the 80's still giant motu like,they don't do anything for me sense the classics line updated these figures and the MOTUC figures look way better.

How do you expect these to be priced at $40? They're regular figures are almost that much after shipping. What fantasy world do you live in?

I agree with most, these aren't my cup of tea, same with the SW ones. I liked the vintage figures when I was a kid, but I see them as dated toys now. Do I still love the nostalgia factor in them and other vintage figures when I see them? Yes.. but do I collect them or need to, No, I understand that there are those that do, so good for them and hope they enjoy it. I also know a few guys that collect the SW jumbo figures, they're mostly high end collectors, with busts and statues and $400 dolls, lol.. so maybe it's just the high price and the 12" thing that attracts them, I dunno. I would love to get a He-Man and Skeletor, just to set on a shelf, but I guess it depends on how sturdy the packaging is. I'd hate to have one and then the bubble comes off the card... DOH!

I would prefer to spend that amount of money in a vintage MOTU MOC commemorative series figure. When I hit the link to check this article and saw the face (Head) of this gigantic He-Man I said "Hey there is something wrong with the head and I just look at my vintage He-Man(All versions) in front of my TV, and find out that YES that head is inaccurate".

Giant figures are for the rich collectors plain and simple. There is nothing wrong to hit that market if they want it but that also means the quantity of figure must be low.

I also was thinking well little kids like giant figures (Example my nephew loved the 12'' MOC Beast and Bishop figures from the 90s X-Men I gave him for the Holidays" BUT is going to be difficult for parents to afford more than 1 or 2 figures for them.

How do you expect these to be priced at $40? They're regular figures are almost that much after shipping. What fantasy world do you live in?

If you had bothered to read my previous posts, you would see that I mentioned the classics line 12" figures (giants) were around $40 or $45 (I can't remember exactly) when they were sold a few years ago on mattycollector. So how can a 12" figure with roughly the same articulation, less paint apps, and cheaper packaging cost $75 compared to the $40 something Tytus that has more paint apps, better sculpt, better packaging? Perhaps I should be asking you what fantasy world YOU live in... or at the very least what your smoking?

I can't imagine that these cost a whole lot more to produce than a typical MOTUC figure though. I guess there's more plastic involved (but if they're rotocast, who knows?), but MOTUC figures require so much more tooling than these 5 POA dudes.

I think the price mostly reflects Mattel's hope to cash in on the nostalgia market like Gentle Giant has done with the oversized SW figures. Also, if they do get produced, they'll probably be made in lower numbers than a MOTUC figure. So, to be fair, that would account for some of higher cost. Unfortunately for Mattel, I think alot of fans are hesitant to sub up after seeing He-Man's head.

I can't imagine that these cost a whole lot more to produce than a typical MOTUC figure though. I guess there's more plastic involved (but if they're rotocast, who knows?), but MOTUC figures require so much more tooling than these 5 POA dudes.

I think the price mostly reflects Mattel's hope to cash in on the nostalgia market like Gentle Giant has done with the oversized SW figures. Also, if they do get produced, they'll probably be made in lower numbers than a MOTUC figure. So, to be fair, that would account for some of higher cost. Unfortunately for Mattel, I think alot of fans are hesitant to sub up after seeing He-Man's head.

I concur. Unless they don't opt with the rotocast option, the only thing I can see the figs costing alot are the toolings. Regardless of being old sculpts, new toolings have to be made for the new scale. Beyond the unique bodies like the initial He-man figure, the Beastman figure, Stratos' chest, Teela's body, and the Skeletor arms and feet, tooling wouldn't be an issue because most figures use the bulk body.

• Find Action Figures on Ebay

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE