TNI Forums: Last day for the sub for 2015 - TNI Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Last day for the sub for 2015 Will it make it?

#1 User is offline   SKYWARP 

  • Decepticon Forever!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,854
  • Joined: 14-October 01

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Tonight's the last night for the sub. I think the last thing I saw said it was at 76% on the 12th, and now here we are on the 18th. It ends tonight at 12pst. So do you think that 2015 sub will make it???

#2 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

  • All-Star Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 22-August 08

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

Yes but it will be stated that Mattel "pushed it through for the fans!"

#3 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

  • Imperial Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,120
  • Joined: 08-January 13

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Meter is a fake, sub minimum was reached days if not weeks ago. It's just the usual tactical push to try and get as many extra sub sales as possible. Business as usual.

#4 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

  • The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 31,439
  • Joined: 21-February 04

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

Well for the first time in two years .I passed on a sub.I will try to get the figures I want on the day of sale and so far there wasn't enough I wanted to get the sub.Plus shelling out money on figures I didn't want could of went to Third Party Transformers that I will start collecting along with some MP's I missed out on.

#5 User is offline   carrowsboy 

  • Cobra Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 86
  • Joined: 19-October 12

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

Still up for sale...

Scotty Nutlick sent out a message saying subs are farther away than they should be for the minimum to move forward.

#6 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

  • Imperial Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,120
  • Joined: 08-January 13

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

I can't wait to see the outcome of all this... So far it's been very entertaining watching all the lunatics on other fan site lose sleep, get nervous, etc. Yet they're always the first to say, "They're just toys". Posted Image

#7 User is offline   RecklessEndangerment 

  • Romulan
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 743
  • Joined: 01-April 08

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

So where are the begging videos this year? I haven't seen a single one and I feel like I'm missing out.

#8 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

  • Imperial Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,120
  • Joined: 08-January 13

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Scott is taking a new approach to the fear mongering... going with more of a "silent treatment" strategy rather than the begging videos of years prior. He has to change it up a little bit each year so fans don't catch on to the shenanigans, hence the alleged "sub limit" "buy a sub before they sell out" tactic. :)

#9 User is offline   azrael23 

  • Snakeman
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 977
  • Joined: 11-December 03

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

View Postmegachickmagnet, on 19 August 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Scott is taking a new approach to the fear mongering... going with more of a "silent treatment" strategy rather than the begging videos of years prior. He has to change it up a little bit each year so fans don't catch on to the shenanigans, hence the alleged "sub limit" "buy a sub before they sell out" tactic. :)


And yet oddly for a sub they claimed was so limited in quantities, it never sold out prior to yesterdays deadline.
I recall a message posted by Scott on the ORG yesterday claiming that we were still far off from the
minimum prior to the deadline, but he never posted on where exactly we were the percentages.

#10 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

  • Imperial Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,120
  • Joined: 08-January 13

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Well, they extended the sub for a few more days starting Friday. LOL!!! Anything to try and scrape up a few more for good measure, meanwhile the factory orders have no doubt already been placed.

So let's see...

Tell everyone that we only made 90% ... Tell everyone that they will have one more final chance to get the 10% they need to move forward... Creates a sense of urgency and panic... makes SOME fans buy more subs they don't need... Unsuspecting fans don't realize that the line will move forward regardless.

Gotta love it.

#11 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

  • All-Star Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 22-August 08

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

View Postmegachickmagnet, on 19 August 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Well, they extended the sub for a few more days starting Friday. LOL!!! Anything to try and scrape up a few more for good measure, meanwhile the factory orders have no doubt already been placed.

So let's see...

Tell everyone that we only made 90% ... Tell everyone that they will have one more final chance to get the 10% they need to move forward... Creates a sense of urgency and panic... makes SOME fans buy more subs they don't need... Unsuspecting fans don't realize that the line will move forward regardless.

Gotta love it.

Hope your right.

I would hate to think of not getting Squeeze, Multi-bot, Sauron, Dragstor, and Blast Attack when they released so much non-vintage stuff I could have done without.

#12 User is offline   azrael23 

  • Snakeman
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 977
  • Joined: 11-December 03

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostCaptainTriumph, on 19 August 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postmegachickmagnet, on 19 August 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Well, they extended the sub for a few more days starting Friday. LOL!!! Anything to try and scrape up a few more for good measure, meanwhile the factory orders have no doubt already been placed.

So let's see...

Tell everyone that we only made 90% ... Tell everyone that they will have one more final chance to get the 10% they need to move forward... Creates a sense of urgency and panic... makes SOME fans buy more subs they don't need... Unsuspecting fans don't realize that the line will move forward regardless.

Gotta love it.

Hope your right.

I would hate to think of not getting Squeeze, Multi-bot, Sauron, Dragstor, and Blast Attack when they released so much non-vintage stuff I could have done without.


Those should have been the reveals for 2015. They could have at least planned for a "worse case" scenario by having those ready to go if the 2015 sub didn't go through. I hate to think such a good line ending with Lizard Man, Huntara and 3 variants.

#13 User is offline   carrowsboy 

  • Cobra Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 86
  • Joined: 19-October 12

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

I like how all the reveals are not "vintage," yet this is supposed to finish up the vintage line.

Here we go...

"Hey He-Fans and She-Ravers,We are sooooo close! 2015 subs ended with about 90%. A great showing but not quite close enough to go forward. With the end of the vintage line (redone in Classics) in question, we truly do believe in our fan base. We’re going to reopen the subs for an extension window from Friday, 8/22 at 9:00 a.m. PT through Monday, 8/25 at 11:59 PT.



Now is the time to rally! If everyone who sub’d last year would renew, we’d be golden. If you’re on the fence or were thinking of cherry-picking, remember… if the sub does not get that last critical 10% there won’t be a line to cherry-pick.Posted Image

So please, let’s all come together! All MOTU fans of all eras truly make Classics the greatest MOTU (if not all brands) toy line of all time! I know we can do it! If you’re holding out, remember, unlike any previous year you pretty much know exactly who you’re getting, with our absolute promise to finish the vintage MOTU line, MOTU variants, original POP characters, and A-list New Adventures and media characters.

Let’s come together and make this happen! We really believe in our fans, and we’ve got one last chance. All our cards are on the table… it’s time to go all in!

Subscriptions open Friday, 8/22 at 9:00 a.m. PT through Monday, 8/25 at 11:59 PT.

Here’s (hopefully) to a great 2015!


Scott “ToyGuru” Neitlich"

#14 User is offline   synch 

  • Energon hunter
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 46,427
  • Joined: 12-June 03

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

again with the cherry-picking comments ...

#15 User is offline   Monkey_Shuttle 

  • Foot Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 483
  • Joined: 20-July 12

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yep, here's a big f-u to Scott Neitlich.
Ever think that maybe the reason there aren't as many subs for 2015 as 2014 might have something to do with Rubenised figures getting green-lit? How about exorbitant shipping costs?

Instead of looking out to the fandom to "save teh lien," maybe you should look down at all the #$## you've tracked through the MOTUC property.
You're not getting my hard earned dollars anymore, ya stoopid knob. And any Org'er that's gullible enough to buy subs he doesn't need to "save teh lien" deserves to be parted from his hard earned cash.

I subbed for every year prior to 2015, and I can say with absolute certainty that 2014 was a huge mistake that I won't be remaking.

#16 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

  • All-Star Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 22-August 08

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostMonkey_Shuttle, on 19 August 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

Yep, here's a big f-u to Scott Neitlich.
Ever think that maybe the reason there aren't as many subs for 2015 as 2014 might have something to do with Rubenised figures getting green-lit? How about exorbitant shipping costs?

Instead of looking out to the fandom to "save teh lien," maybe you should look down at all the #$## you've tracked through the MOTUC property.
You're not getting my hard earned dollars anymore, ya stoopid knob. And any Org'er that's gullible enough to buy subs he doesn't need to "save teh lien" deserves to be parted from his hard earned cash.

I subbed for every year prior to 2015, and I can say with absolute certainty that 2014 was a huge mistake that I won't be remaking.

I did sub because I want several of the figures still not released.

However, I'm more than ready to be finished with subbing altogether....to just finally call it a day on this line.

#17 User is offline   Monkey_Shuttle 

  • Foot Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 483
  • Joined: 20-July 12

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

There's nothing shameful about subbing if you're actually wanting what's coming out. The sub model worked well for me in years passed because my work kept me from being able to order on DOS. But buying 40 extra subs or 10 or 5 just to "save teh lien" is foolish. Hell, there's a thread at the Org dedicated to people ordering "just one more" during the last-ditch window trying to cover down on the last 10%.

I've got an entire room dedicated to all the various forms of plastic crack that I own so I understand the collector's drive to complete a collection, but all this "save teh lien" shite just reeks of sad and pitiful desperation that goes beyond the normal confines of a collector's mentality.

Pretty sure that there are even smack-heads who would look down on their behaviour.

#18 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

  • Imperial Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,120
  • Joined: 08-January 13

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

I must admit, I bought (1) sub... even thought I always say I wont... I end up doing it anyway. Reason being, for the convenience of not having to manually do it every month. Whatever I don't want, I will try and sell although I'd rather not have to be bothered... but it is what it is.

I do fear that 2015 will be filled with too many filler figures (figures I don't want). Its easy for Scott to say we already know what's coming but, in reality... we don't. This year has been good so far since the only figure I'm stuck with is Battle Lion... so far.

#19 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

  • All-Star Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 22-August 08

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

View Postmegachickmagnet, on 19 August 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

I must admit, I bought (1) sub... even thought I always say I wont... I end up doing it anyway. Reason being, for the convenience of not having to manually do it every month. Whatever I don't want, I will try and sell although I'd rather not have to be bothered... but it is what it is.

I do fear that 2015 will be filled with too many filler figures (figures I don't want). Its easy for Scott to say we already know what's coming but, in reality... we don't. This year has been good so far since the only figure I'm stuck with is Battle Lion... so far.

I've bought 3 subs the same as the last 2 years.

1 for a my MIP/MIB collection.

1 for my display.

The 3rd is for figures that I want to display in different ways such as Mer-Man, Fisto, TrapJaw, etc... with two different heads and accessories.

The 3rd is also to help with troop building items like the Horde Troopers and the Snake-Men two-packs.

However I do have several extra characters I'm not sure what I'm going to do with.

I might make a complete POP collection for my daughter.

#20 User is offline   BigBot84 

  • I will be the world's greatest swordsman!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,508
  • Joined: 02-April 03

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

I thought this sub was going through regardless, they just had a cap off total. Now they need that exact number or they aren't going through with it? They could always just make that last 10% (supposedly) available for day of sale.

#21 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

  • Imperial Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,120
  • Joined: 08-January 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

The limited sub "cap" bullshit was to get people thinking that if they didn't buy it right away, they would miss out. This tactic was primarily aimed at the ones who wait until the last minute to buy the sub. Again, creating a sense of urgency, they want you to rush into it without thinking about whether you can afford it, want it, etc. Creating panic has been the norm for sub sales since the beginning.

Take a look at the .org threads, they're all in panic mode. This is exactly what Scott wants... panic until Friday, then buy 8 more subs because you want the line to continue. He has them wrapped around his little finger... gotta give him credit for that though. It's sad, but impressive at the same time. If not for those suckers, we wouldn't have extra SKU's year after year... so in a way I can't complain.

#22 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

  • All-Star Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 22-August 08

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

View Postmegachickmagnet, on 20 August 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

The limited sub "cap" bullshit was to get people thinking that if they didn't buy it right away, they would miss out. This tactic was primarily aimed at the ones who wait until the last minute to buy the sub. Again, creating a sense of urgency, they want you to rush into it without thinking about whether you can afford it, want it, etc. Creating panic has been the norm for sub sales since the beginning.

Take a look at the .org threads, they're all in panic mode. This is exactly what Scott wants... panic until Friday, then buy 8 more subs because you want the line to continue. He has them wrapped around his little finger... gotta give him credit for that though. It's sad, but impressive at the same time. If not for those suckers, we wouldn't have extra SKU's year after year... so in a way I can't complain.

I hope your right. I thought the DC sub would be pushed through but it tanked.

Of course the DC sub was a dumping ground for Mattel for two years and they were going to have to spend a little money for the third year.

As for Mattel, they have always had shady business practices in my opinion.

That said, I want one more year to get the vintage figures promised back in 2013.

Then I will move my business elsewhere.

#23 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

  • Imperial Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,120
  • Joined: 08-January 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Regarding the DCUC and Ghostbusters lines... Is it possible that those lines were selling well, but not selling well enough compared to MOTUC... so they (purposely) pulled the plug on them AND re-allocated those funds towards MOTUC? Yeah, I'm grasping at straws but... Why take such a big risk with Jumbos and Minis, and pile them on top of Classics if it really is in danger? I really don't think there is anything to worry about. If I'm wrong, I will 100% eat crow.

#24 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

  • All-Star Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 22-August 08

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

View Postmegachickmagnet, on 20 August 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Regarding the DCUC and Ghostbusters lines... Is it possible that those lines were selling well, but not selling well enough compared to MOTUC... so they (purposely) pulled the plug on them AND re-allocated those funds towards MOTUC? Yeah, I'm grasping at straws but... Why take such a big risk with Jumbos and Minis, and pile them on top of Classics if it really is in danger? I really don't think there is anything to worry about. If I'm wrong, I will 100% eat crow.

I agree...why offer Jumbos and Minis for a line in jeopardy?

I will not just buy everything they offer in MOTU.

#25 User is offline   Monkey_Shuttle 

  • Foot Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 483
  • Joined: 20-July 12

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

What killed Ghostbusters was typical of the Mattel business model for toy-lines: multiple variants of the same core characters, over and over and over again, ad nauseum.

Collectors didn't want Peter Venkman in his sunday's best to stand next to Tour Guide Egon. No, they wanted proper ghosts and monsters for the Ghostbusters to, well bust. Little pack-in ghosts with yet another GB variant wasn't going to cut the mustard.

DC Universe, likely, was still using figures that had already been planned for the already-failed-at-retail line, hence the continued use of esoteric choices. Did anyone really want Batzarro over say, Michael Keaton Batman w/ removable mask/alt-head? How about a proper Steel instead of Uncle Sam or Ocean Master? There was a lot of potential, but when you've already alienated much of your market at retail, you've really got to bring out the heavy-hitters if you want to hook them at premium online prices.

Plus, the sub-only model is cack. It's ludicrous to expect consumers to commit to product unseen and essentially "front" the money prior to production. It's cart-before-the-horse economics. It's only worked for MOTUC because MOTUC fans are like crack-head junkies who will buy anything under the MOTU label (ergo why Mattel keeps releasing weird off-shoots: e.g. Baby Skeletor, Minis, and Jumbos).

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment
 
Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us