Episode VII: 'The Force Awakens' Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-23608.html

According to sources close to the just-announced Star Wars sequel, Harrison Ford is open to the idea of bringing Han Solo back to the big screen in 2015.

"Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he’s upbeat about it, all three of them are," referring to Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher.

Nothing has been confirmed but Ford won’t go to the next level of contract talks until there’s a script and director in place. Both are important are they can also cause a deal breaker.

I'm ok with seeing them back together.

As long as it isn't some story about how 12 Jedi go to a backwater planet in the Sol system, eventually die, but before doing so condense the Force into their heads so they "crystallize" and retain some of their Jedi powers I'll be ok.

If something was going to be done with the original trilogy actors it really should have been done in place of the pre-qual movies. Doing them starting in 2015 with either result in the movies being to jarring because to much time will have passed since Jedi, I think it would have to be set a minimum of 30 years after the events of Jedi, or the original trio will just look to old for the roles they are required to play. I mean it isn't like any of them could really play their roles if the new movies were set in the Thrawn time frame.

A way to do this would likely be to end SW Clone Wars at the end of this season and start a New Republic series that starts up 10-15 or so years after Jedi.

If it's going to happen, I'd much rather see Harrison play the character than have him recast or killed off screen.

I agree you can't recast the characters from the original trilogy, at least not without doing a remake of the original. I don't think that would go over really well with fans.

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-23625.html

Vulture is reporting they have learned from inside sources that Disney has a leading candidate to write the screenplay for Star Wars Episode VII. According to them Pixar favorite Michael Arndt is up for the job. Arndt wrote the script for the upcoming The Hunger Games: Catching Fire sequel and was nominated for an Oscar for Toy Story 3. He also won an Oscar for the movie Little Miss Sunshine.

Reports say that Arndt has already written a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film and is likely to be at least one of the writers when the Disney/Lucasfilm project begins shooting in 2014. The treatment is expected to soon cross the desk of possible directors such as Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg, and J.J. Abrams.

Vulture also says they have word that the studio is looking to bring back from the original trilogy, actors Mark Hamil (Luke Skywalker), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) and Harrison Ford who recently said he was open to the idea of revising his role as Han Solo. Obviously they would be playing much older versions of the characters who we haven't seen on the big screen since Return of the Jedi.

Arndt Wrote Treatments For Next 3 'Star Wars' Films; Working On Episode VII

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-23630.html

Some follow up news to the report of Disney having Michael Arndt to write the screenplay for Star Wars Episode VII. Deadline has confirmed that Michael Arndt has written a treatment for not just one but the next three Star Wars films coming from Disney and is also in line to work on the script for Star Wars Episode VII next year.

Lucasfilm consulted with Arndt months before the sale of the company and wanted the writer to put together ideas to take the franchise forward. What Arndt turned into Lucasfilm is what Disney CEO Bob Iger was referring to when the company acquired Lucasfilm of "pretty extensive and detailed treatment for what would be the next three movies, the trilogy." Iger announced plans for the new series of Star Wars films that day. "We’ve got a lengthy treatment that comes with this that we feel really good about and the film is in what I’ll call early-stage development right now," the Disney boss said.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love J.J. Abrams, but...I'm just not sure his style is right for Star Wars. That's the one thing that concerns me about Lucas completely turning over Star Wars to new people. It seems that great care was always taken to ensure that most if not all of the films maintained a consistent look. I like consistency. But I guess it really won't matter if the spirit of what Lucas established is preserved and it's done with respect to and understanding of what's come before.

Well...I've just about come to the conclusion that it's gonna be a whole new era, a whole new beginning for Star Wars, and I'm just gonna roll with it and go with the flow. I loved Toy Story 3, and I love J.J. Abrams, so I personally should be extremely happy with the final product.

And GMP, like you I was concerned about the opening credits being different. Like I've mentioned before, I'm a very sentimental person that likes attention paid to consistency, but now I'm in a "whatever" kind of mode. Like yojoe alluded to, if they do a good job, it will be every fanboy's dream come true. It's so much fun looking forward to this, not really knowing where they're gonna take it and what it's gonna look like. It's terribly exciting.

gross...people need to give up on those Mission Impossible movies...and Tom Cruise...

The original series is on Instant View on Netflix...enjoy!

Also...3D releases postponed. Duh. Feels like I was the only one bringing up the remaining 3d movies around the 'excitement' of the Disney deal...sigh...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60599