TNI Forums: Mattel's DC Plans For 2014 & Beyond, Plus One Final Surprise For DCUC Fans At NYCC - TNI Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mattel's DC Plans For 2014 & Beyond, Plus One Final Surprise For DCUC Fans At NYCC

#1 User is offline   The Wire 

• Monkey
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Mattel's DC Plans For 2014 & Beyond, Plus One Final Surprise For DCUC Fans At NYCC

View the full article

#2 User is offline   Mongoose 

• Cobra Viper

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

I really hate how Scott words it to place blame on the fans:

"and unfortunately, the time when fans could “do something” has passed. That time was the sub buy-in period."

Maybe that's not how he meant it, but that's how it sounds. Maybe if Mattycollector and Digital River had passable customer service and didn't screw up my sub 6 times I would have subscribed again.

#3 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

I've just had it with him always reminding us how creating the 6" action figure is the most pains-taking, costly thing that man can produce.

"In this economy".

#4 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostMongoose, on 23 January 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

I really hate how Scott words it to place blame on the fans:

Let him blame whoever he wants. Once those DCUC leftovers are gone, he knows his relevance within the toy-collecting community is gonna take a nosedive. As a matter of fact, MOTUC is pretty much his last iron in the fire. If that should end (and let's face it, he's starting to PO those fans to), the higher ups will probably be taking a long hard look at whether what Scotty does is worth a paycheck.

Ah! There's my happy thought for the morning.

#5 User is online   featofstrength 

• Baxter Stockman

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

wonder how much SDCC Doomsday is gonna cost...$50?

Since they showed both versions of big Doomsday had been sculpted (maybe tooled?) do you think they went ahead in a certain point in production with the containment suit as if the sub would go thru, or are they just sticking to their guns with the tier tactics? I mean, how much of a cost/tooling difference could there be between the two? And even if unleashed Doomsday cost a lil bit more, if they hadnt already started production and can name pretty much any price for it at a convention, are they just ignoring the fans on which they'd prefer if they could only get one?

Im assuming that Containment suit had already started and now they're using SDCC to dump it and cover cost?

As a Superman fan, Im torn on how much I want/feel i need this figure. I really like the sculpt and the size, but without the Unleashed version on the shelf...i dunno...

shrimpy DCSH Doomsday next to his beefy containment suit...boy that suit really must have been reinforced!

#6 User is offline   Nguyen_Dragon 

• Battlecat

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

I am thinking $60...

#7 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

I wouldn't even hazard a guess, but being newly tooled, SDCC exclusive, a larger figure, and last of the 4H DC Figures . . . you gotta know Matty is gonna milk this one for all they can.

#8 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "Honor to the end."

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 24 January 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Since they showed both versions of big Doomsday had been sculpted (maybe tooled?) do you think they went ahead in a certain point in production with the containment suit as if the sub would go thru, or are they just sticking to their guns with the tier tactics? I mean, how much of a cost/tooling difference could there be between the two? And even if unleashed Doomsday cost a lil bit more, if they hadnt already started production and can name pretty much any price for it at a convention, are they just ignoring the fans on which they'd prefer if they could only get one?

Im assuming that Containment suit had already started and now they're using SDCC to dump it and cover cost?

As a Superman fan, Im torn on how much I want/feel i need this figure. I really like the sculpt and the size, but without the Unleashed version on the shelf...i dunno...

shrimpy DCSH Doomsday next to his beefy containment suit...boy that suit really must have been reinforced!

I don't know feat...sometimes I feel like Mattel is a bunch of bullies trying to shame people into buying stuff, then other times it seems like they truly cater to fans. It's the weirdest thing.

Concerning the Doomsday figures, man...those would definitely be two figures I'd love to have in my DC display, but to be honest, I wish DC Collectibles would surprise the crap out of everyone (including Mattel) and come out with their own versions. They'd be much more detailed I think, and they seem to be on a roll lately anyway making huge characters into figures. It makes too much sense, so it probably won't happen. (lol)

#9 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostDevilbat, on 24 January 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Concerning the Doomsday figures, man...those would definitely be two figures I'd love to have in my DC display, but to be honest, I wish DC Collectibles would surprise the crap out of everyone (including Mattel) and come out with their own versions. They'd be much more detailed I think, and they seem to be on a roll lately anyway making huge characters into figures. It makes too much sense, so it probably won't happen. (lol)

That's a solid idea and I'd definitely buy one. Unfortunately, DCC is only doing New 52 stuff. Does Doomsday even exist in New 52....? DC Direct did a nice looking Doomsday but his articulation is crap.

#10 User is offline   Cloud 

• Jango Fett

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 24 January 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Mattel claimed that the containment suit Doomsday is what they could afford to make. I think they said the unleashed Doomsday would require 100% new tooling and would be bigger than the prototype shown. The containment suit Doomsday is basically using the same body as the previous 8" build a figures(Validus, Killowog, the red guy from Public Enemies) which Mattel already has a mold for.

I'm glad that Mattel is done with the DCUC line. It has been a collecting nightmare with them filling us with BS every year about the line not doing well in retail and switching the figures into an online only structure(So they get 100% of the profit) is the only way they can think of. Forcing people to buy their sub or you won't get anything. It's just ugly.

If it's really so hard to make 6" highly articulated collectible figures then why is Hasbro out performing Mattel in every way? Figures are more detailed, more new tooling,deluxe figures(12
(12"-15" tall Gigantic battles),and more articulations.Heck, Hasbro's been making really good 4" figures. And what was Mattel doing? A failed line of Green Lantern movie 6" where the sculpts and articulations are poor. 3"-4" figures that are just laughable.

#11 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostCloud, on 24 January 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

I'm glad that Mattel is done with the DCUC line. It has been a collecting nightmare with them filling us with BS every year about the line not doing well in retail and switching the figures into an online only structure(So they get 100% of the profit) is the only way they can think of. Forcing people to buy their sub or you won't get anything. It's just ugly.

Agreed! If it means we are spared the annual lies and "woe is Mattel" stories about how it's impossible to sell 6" figures at retail, let them be done.

#12 User is offline   MrImpossible 

• Foot Soldier

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

.......I'm fine. I am ok with this.

After such a hefty run, with all sorts of heavy hitters and great figures, and with such a price rise happening, I can definitely agree with this line ending. I've got my favorite DC characters, and I'll be proud to show off my MOC collection and say, "Yep, they don't make these anymore."

As for their final surprise....."heroic sendoff"? Sounds like classic colored Superman, perhaps? A cool figure to give the fans, and cheap as hell for them to produce.

#13 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

I laugh that some of you find this as something new or are finally cluing in mattel has acted this way from the start of the new toon let alone the toy line

#14 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

View Postyojoebro82, on 24 January 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Agreed! If it means we are spared the annual lies and "woe is Mattel" stories about how it's impossible to sell 6" figures at retail, let them be done.

Exactly! Though, as far as I'm concerned, Mattel was "done" when the last line left retail. It's high time they stop blaming everyone but themselves for their own screw ups and focus on getting DC product back on the shelves. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be in the game in the first place.

#15 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostMrImpossible, on 25 January 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

After such a hefty run, with all sorts of heavy hitters and great figures, and with such a price rise happening, I can definitely agree with this line ending. I've got my favorite DC characters, and I'll be proud to show off my MOC collection and say, "Yep, they don't make these anymore."

Again, exactly. Anyone that gets too bent out of shape and wants the line to keep going needs to ask themselves, to what end? Yes, you can probably come up with a list of C and D-listers that you personally have a soft spot for and I'm sorry they didn't make the cut. But like you said, they did all the heavy hitters and much, much more. It was a solid run and anything left to be done just isn't worth Mattel's games.

Good call on the "mystery figure". It would cost them nothing to produce.

#16 User is online   featofstrength 

• Baxter Stockman

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

If it's really so hard to make 6" highly articulated collectible figures then why is Hasbro out performing Mattel in every way? Figures are more detailed, more new tooling,deluxe figures(12
(12"-15" tall Gigantic battles),and more articulations.Heck, Hasbro's been making really good 4" figures. And what was Mattel doing? A failed line of Green Lantern movie 6" where the sculpts and articulations are poor. 3"-4" figures that are just laughable.

Other than still putting out 6in figures, and despite Marvel Legends being the standard for that scale, DCUC still hit the mark better for me, aesthetically and in playability. Anyway, the real problem going forward is, even though DC collectibles have gotten miles better than they used to be, I just cant stand having to put gap fillers in my collection that stand between 3/4- 1 inch taller than the standard 6in. And since Mattel is gonna hold on to the license with their cold, dead hands to make more kiddie toys, DC in the proper 6in scale is doomed. That is in some legal stuff, right? Scale issues between license holders?

#17 User is offline   Draven79 

• Silent But Deadly Has A Whole New Meaning!
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Oh god, we should be so lucky they are even giving us the figures they are! After all we are un grateful collectors that don't care about the line .... :rolleyes:
I doubt I will get the Doomsday, its stupid to me. The surprise is rumored to be super power repaints. IE light blue Superman.
Draven

#18 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostMrImpossible, on 25 January 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

That's my feeling. I love my DCUCs, especially the Superfriends, but as time went by, it was getting harder to separate my feelings for the greatest line I've ever collected from the BS Mattel was constantly pulling.

This way, the taint is gone.

#19 User is offline   A_Spidey_Fan 

• Cobra Officer

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

1st off, good idea for the Containment Doomsday being a SDCC Exclusive. I mean, it's not something everyone needs in there collect, and yet, it's still something special for those who want either the entire collection, or who go to the event.

Having said that, I do have to wonder why they didn't tool up "Unleased" Doomsday 1st, since they know that everyone wanted that verison? I mean, worst case, they could of repainted it as the Lava Doomsday(Similar to like they did with DC Superheroes line, to reperesent Doomsday in the Volcano when he faced off against Superman in JLU cartoon series), or even repaint it with Kryptonite on his rocky skin(Similar to the Superman/Batman comic book "No More Kryptonite" storyline, where Bats and Sups go on a mission to try and rid the Earth of Kryptonite, as they find out that Cambus has genetically altered some humans into Doomsday like creatures with Kryptonite sticking out). I mean, even if they didn't do those repaints, they know that everyone has been for years asking for a larger Doomsday, so they must of known that a lot of people would of bought it or at least consider joining the sub for it.

The Containment Suit is a nice variant of the figure, so I can't say it isn't a bad idea for it, but Unleased should of been done 1st.

#20 User is offline   ensign 

• Mouser

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

For years I stood up for Mattel. I'm not ashamed to say I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!! Im tired of all their lame excuses as to why they cannot continue this line in some form seeing as how they are replacing it with Total Heroes. If Hasbro, DC Direct, Diamond Select Toys, NECA and others can offer some of their lines for more than a decade then their has to be some business model that Mattel could utilize to keep producing this line and make a profit for themselves.

I would not have a problem with and encourage DCD to fill in the gaps left by Mattel. However, they seem hell bent on only producing that New 52 crap and have thrown the last 75 years of DC Comics to the waist bin. I would even settle if they re release some older figures like Speedy and Aquald who are impossible to find.

Bottom line, its insane that Mattel still has a fan base for these figures but cant cater to it, nor is DCD going to fill the blanks. Hoping that either will happen is wishful thinking.

#21 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

View Postensign, on 25 January 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

If Hasbro, DC Direct, Diamond Select Toys, NECA and others can offer some of their lines for more than a decade then their has to be some business model that Mattel could utilize to keep producing this line and make a profit for themselves.

They can. They just made the decision one day that they would either sell everything or sell nothing. They didn't want pegwarmers. And they wanted you to by into the myth that unless there is 100% sales of all figures 100% of the time, they couldn't afford to make anything. Despite the fact that all those companies you listed have pegwarmers at one time or another and are still in business. Heck, there are manufacturers all over the world who never sell 100% of their product and are still in business.

#22 User is offline   A_Spidey_Fan 

• Cobra Officer

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postyojoebro82, on 25 January 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Postensign, on 25 January 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

If Hasbro, DC Direct, Diamond Select Toys, NECA and others can offer some of their lines for more than a decade then their has to be some business model that Mattel could utilize to keep producing this line and make a profit for themselves.

They can. They just made the decision one day that they would either sell everything or sell nothing. They didn't want pegwarmers. And they wanted you to by into the myth that unless there is 100% sales of all figures 100% of the time, they couldn't afford to make anything. Despite the fact that all those companies you listed have pegwarmers at one time or another and are still in business. Heck, there are manufacturers all over the world who never sell 100% of their product and are still in business.

Heck, I can't think of any company that can ever sell 100% of their product. Not unless they get liquadated or lower down at a very cheap price, and even then. I mean, it's like saying that if for the Viper car, if only 10% are left to sell, then they failed in selling it. That means about 90% has actually sold, so that doesn't seem to be a failure to me. But then again, I don't have a business degree.

I think back when Mattel was starting their Matty Collector model, once they saw fans of MOTU buying the early stuff and selling out of the stuff in less than a day or even hours, their defination of what is sucessful and isn't got really clouded, in that if they feel something doesn't sell out right away, then it's a failure.

#23 User is offline   MrImpossible 

• Foot Soldier

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

I think what saddens me most, was that back when.....a new Wave would be revealed, and there used to be dozens of us scattering, excited out of our minds. Now the end is being announced, and there's about a handful of us here to wave goodbye. But I suppose that just means everyone else has the figures they want, and are happy anyways. :)

#24 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostMrImpossible, on 27 January 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

I think what saddens me most, was that back when.....a new Wave would be revealed, and there used to be dozens of us scattering, excited out of our minds. Now the end is being announced, and there's about a handful of us here to wave goodbye. But I suppose that just means everyone else has the figures they want, and are happy anyways. :)

I have a lot of great figures but certainly not all that I want.

There is a market and customer base.

Mattel has chosen not to reach out and capture that market.

#25 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Princess Liea

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Don't care. With all of the cool stuff they've got coming out,Figures Toy Co. will be getting my money. Mego-style Jim Gordon,Flash,Nightwing,Hawkman,Ra's al Ghul and so on. I'm in.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us