• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

G.I. Joe: What's Next?

#1 User is offline   mako 

• Captain Cold
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Okay, so NYCC came and went with NO hint of what's next for Joe other than to point to ToyFair for any big reveal.

We at least know that something is coming. After all, 2014 marks the 50th. anniversary of G.I. Joe. While it won't be as big a blow-out as recent anniversary offerings for Transformers and Star Wars, the Has' does admit to having something planned. There was also word of a return to vintage style vehicles as opposed to new designs, so we know wherever Joe goes he's got wheels. But what does it all mean? What do you expect to see come February?

A new story-line ala Pursuit of Cobra, Valor vs. Venom, or Spy Troops? More updated versions of classic figures ala 30th anniversary Stalker or Snake Eyes?

Personally, after seeing the "Ultimate" versions of Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander, I'd love to see a new anniversary line featuring more classic versions of characters in a similar tricked-out style.

What do you think?

#2 User is offline   Draven79 

• Silent But Deadly Has A Whole New Meaning!
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I think its going to be a small Ultimate assortment. Just my gut feeling.
Draven

#3 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Scarlet
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'm betting we'll get a small TRU or Target only 50th Anv. assortment of 12" figures and a couple sets of 4" showing the 12" in the smaller scale.. and to be honest, that's it.

It may be the 50th anv. for GI Joe, but it's for the 12" dolls, so I don't see them doing too much besides a couple tribute packs and stuff like that.

#4 User is offline   mako 

• Captain Cold

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

I kind of expect a return to a basic 25th-type line with a few Ultimates peppered in there to maintain consumer interest. Nothing to elaborate, just a couple of waves to keep the line out there till the next movie rolls around.

#5 User is offline   RobbieDigital 

• With Bottlecap Bitin Action!!!!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Honestly........I think it will be 6 inch Joe figures......its the only thing they haven't done yet. 6 inch ARAH themed figures.....and I know it will cause a $hitstorm with Joe collectors. (I'm mainly talking about the anniversary figures)

For the record I'm down for this......give us 10 figures.....5 Joes and 5 Cobras......17.99 a piece.

#6 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "What are you prepared to do?"

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yes, that's my prediction as well...they know they have a gold mine with the Black Series for Star Wars, so why not cash in on G.I. Joe as well while interest is high. Also, I'd personally like to see some more exclusive 3-3/4" sets like the Marauders and Dreadnoks exclusives. I'd be all over new Night Force, Battle Force, and Tiger Force sets.

#7 User is online   yojoebro82 

• Baroness

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostRobbieDigital, on 20 October 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Honestly........I think it will be 6 inch Joe figures......its the only thing they haven't done yet. 6 inch ARAH themed figures.....and I know it will cause a $hitstorm with Joe collectors. (I'm mainly talking about the anniversary figures)

For the record I'm down for this......give us 10 figures.....5 Joes and 5 Cobras......17.99 a piece.

I agree. 6" GI Joes are only a matter of time. Except there's no chance they will be anything less than $20. If they're the same quality as the 6" Star Wars, I'll be down for some.

As for what's next, we'll have to wait until GI Joe 3 to find out. That's my prediction for GI Joe: movie-only toy line. Seeing nothing at NYCC didn't surprise me at all.

#8 User is offline   CLAM 

• ADC MVP since '01

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

I LOVE the "Ultimate" Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander... so hopefully it's more figures just like those. I'll buy them all

#9 User is offline   Draven79 

• Silent But Deadly Has A Whole New Meaning!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I too also think 6 vintage Joes are only a matter of a time.
Draven

#10 User is offline   Toiletmonkey1 

• Hasbro- 1 /TM- 0

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

a complete return to t 1982 style w/ new characters thrown in to make it interesting. hey a guy can dream cant he!

I dont think I have seen the 6 inch star wars figures (anyone wanna link me?)

TM

#11 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Scarlet

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

WHAT?!?!?!

#12 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Scarlet

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

http://jediinsider.com/reviews.php

#13 User is offline   mako 

• Captain Cold

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

I don't see 6" figures happening, at least not anytime soon.

If they did happen, I see them being done as a movie line, or maybe a sub-line released along side the more average sized Joes during a movie year (possibly G.I. 3). Has-Reps have said many times that during a non-movie year G.I. Joe just can't command the resources needed for all-new or significantly larger tooling. Plus, the Joes already seem to have enjoyed a minor growth spurt with the just slightly larger Retaliation figures.

#14 User is offline   Toiletmonkey1 

• Hasbro- 1 /TM- 0

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

Those are freaking cool. but I would have no place to display figures that size. I would pick up a snake eyes and clutch maybe doc just cause they are my fav's

TM

#15 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Scarlet

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

I'd love to see 6" Joes and if they came out, I would support them as much as I could.. but I honestly don't see them till a Movie year... if that.

#16 User is offline   smokediver 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

View Postmako, on 21 October 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

If they did happen, I see them being done as a movie line, or maybe a sub-line released along side the more average sized Joes during a movie year (possibly G.I. 3). Has-Reps have said many times that during a non-movie year G.I. Joe just can't command the resources needed for all-new or significantly larger tooling. Plus, the Joes already seem to have enjoyed a minor growth spurt with the just slightly larger Retaliation figures.

I dont necessarily agree with this. I really think GI Joe will move up to 6 inch like someone said, with the success of the star wars line. I wonder just how much new tooling would be needed since hasbro already has marvel legends and the star wars figs underway to pull parts from. Seems like they would mostly just need the accessories to go along with each character. But of course I know nothing about making figures or running a toy line.
I do know that I would love to see 6in Joes, even if it had to be an online exclusive subscription service. But lets hope for a mass retail release if they happen.

#17 User is offline   GPM in ICT 

• Mer-Man

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Count me in the camp that doesn't see six inch Joes happening. You can't compare SW to Joe, you just can't. They sell a whole lot of SW all over the entire planet. So recouping cost is almost a non-issue with them. While Marvel Legends reuse a lot of part and many of the times they can get away with "painting on" a figures costume to the body. I just can't see fans accepting that with Joes. Quite frankly I would see six inch Joes being a lot like the first couple of waves of the 25th Anniversary figure. Meaning massive part reuse and fans throwing a fit about it. Not to mention that they would charge $20 to $25 for the figures.

#18 User is offline   GuitarDevil 

• King Chochacho

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostJoeRhyno, on 21 October 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

I'd love to see 6" Joes and if they came out, I would support them as much as I could.. but I honestly don't see them till a Movie year... if that.

I think you may be on the money....I wouldn't mind 6" scale joes but the affordability is the issue.....& it seems anymore ToyLines need the tie-in of a Movie to get anything made these days. I know very little about the industry but do understand there are marketing budgets that include merchandising for that.....I don't mind a slow down right now my wallet needs to recover.....but I hear rumors everyday and a 7pack of Zombie Joes or Cobras would be kinda cool but I dunno if it would be buyable.....who knows whats up next....

#19 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Scarlet

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

View Postsmokediver, on 22 October 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

View Postmako, on 21 October 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

I dont necessarily agree with this. I really think GI Joe will move up to 6 inch like someone said, with the success of the star wars line. I wonder just how much new tooling would be needed since hasbro already has marvel legends and the star wars figs underway to pull parts from. Seems like they would mostly just need the accessories to go along with each character. But of course I know nothing about making figures or running a toy line.
I do know that I would love to see 6in Joes, even if it had to be an online exclusive subscription service. But lets hope for a mass retail release if they happen.

I 100% disagree with this. They barely ever use figures from different lines to use. You can probably count them on one hand the times they've done this. IM3 Tony Stark body from a GI Joe, Destro for Professor X, Indiana Toht for Cobra Commander, I remember a Sigma 6 cat being used for a Marvel Legends box set.. other than that, I'm having a hard time thinking of any others...

With that said, look at the tooling in the ML and SWB figures, not many Jedi running around in the Joe world.. if they could even use a Jedi robed figure, it's look like a weird ninja... Almost Neekid Leia, yeah, they might be able to use her mid-section for Zarana, Luke in Xwing? I doubt people would a GI Joe pilot from a galaxy far, far away. Don't get me started on spandex clad super heroes... I just don't see that happening. Maybe a couple movie figures like Nick Fury and some of those military Caps.. but that's about it. If they were to do 6" joes, they'd need to go all the way, or not do them at all.

#20 User is offline   Jmacq1 

• Cobra Officer

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostDraven79, on 20 October 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I think its going to be a small Ultimate assortment. Just my gut feeling.
Draven

I suspect your gut is correct.

I would say it may well be a flashback to the 25th Anniversary, with only a couple multipacks of those concept-case "ultimate" figures (maybe even as little as one Joe and one Cobra pack).

Don't think 6" will happen outside a movie year. Joe hasn't sold enough to warrant an off-year experiment in multiple lines. However come G.I. Joe 3? I could totally see them trying to shift the classic ARAH designs to a 6" series and consigning the 4" figures to the same kind of minimally articulated blah-ness that Iron Man 3 presented us with. That seems to be the MO these days (little figs for the kids, big figs for the collectors).

And probably no vehicles. If they DO get a couple vehicles, we'll probably get the Night Landing and a re-release/repaint of some bravos (Maybe a tan Ninja Combat Cruiser as a modern VAMP Mk II and the Retaliation HISS in black).

All in all, not expecting much, but I expect most of what small amount we do get will be pretty good stuff. However it may also be the last hurrah of fully articulated and accessorized 4" G.I. Joe figures.

#21 User is offline   JLA 

• Nameless Thug

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I say no 6 G.I Joe figures because I won't buy them if there are 6 figures. I'm an fan of 3/4 figures of G.I Joe. It's not right and Hasbro have already killed both Star Wars and MU 3/4 line with 5 POA. I hope they don't do this to G.I. Joes because this is the last of the real 3/4 figures with lot of POA.

#22 User is offline   JayC 

• ENI Webmaster

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

Not gonna happen.

#23 User is offline   JayC 

• ENI Webmaster

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostToiletmonkey1, on 21 October 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

a complete return to t 1982 style w/ new characters thrown in to make it interesting. hey a guy can dream cant he!

I dont think I have seen the 6 inch star wars figures (anyone wanna link me?)

TM

Really? where the heck have you been the past year? Scroll down can see reviews for all of wave 1, the SDCC exclusive and Greedo and Slave Leia from wave 2 http://jediinsider.com/reviews.php

#24 User is offline   Snowman81 

• Trypticon

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostJayC, on 23 October 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Not gonna happen.

I'd so love to see them do a 6" - 6.5" ARAH line. If the quality is there I'm more than willing to pay the same amount as what DC Collectibles and NECA figures go for. I'd get all the main Cobra characters for sure....and some of the main Joe's as well.

#25 User is offline   PsycheOut 

• Nameless Thug

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

I would be surprised if Hasbro would go the 6" route with GI Joe, especially if there has been talk of vehicles. I really hope that they do not ditch the modern era tooling. My favorite line thus far was POC and that was inbetween movies. It's probably unrealistic to expect anything that great but one can hope.

I agree with a lot of you here: 12" exclusive line of vintage reproductions, a few 3/ 3/4 ARAH o-ring releases, and a couple of waves of Ultimates with some vintage vehicles being retooled--like the Tomahawk

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us