• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Gotham" Discussion Thread Sept. 22 - Series Premiere on FOX

#1 User is online   yojoebro82 

• Devastator
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

http://enewsi.com/te.../191-25420.html

I don't know. Thinking long term, how long can you go without people saying, "Just give us Batman, already!" Probably wouldn't make it through one season without it.

And do they think just doing a straight up Batman TV show WOULDN'T work? I guess they must....Personally I think it would be the most practical DC property to pull off on TV. The sheer volume of Bat-mythos would give you seven seasons, easy. Plus, ummmmmm....everyone loves Batman already!

But I guess we'll take Commissioner Gordon. Since it's TV, I bet he works with, and is related to a bunch of young, hot chicks.

#2 User is offline   GPM in ICT 

• Mer-Man

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

I read the artical and it's slightly different than the version that was floating around during the summer. The version I had heard they wanted to make was closer to the Gotham Centrel comics that focused on the Gotham PD with Batman showing up from time to time mainly in the shadows (so they could have him as a character but not the main character, think more of a recurring cameo).

#3 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Baxter Stockman

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

I will watch this...unlike "Marvel's the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

#4 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

As F'ed up as this is, I'm gonna take it as GOOD news. I mean if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has got the competition so worked up that Rupert Murdock's crew will sign off on such a lame notion as Law and Order: Gotham, then its even money the CW will pick-up the Flash.

#5 User is offline   rash 

• Cobra Viper

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

So in reality, it's just another cop-show that occasionally features Batman???

Sounds dumb; fans will want Batman...not plain ole' cops.

#6 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Would the Bat be in it at all? The gist I got from the article is this would be a Smallville riff. Gordon as an up and coming cop years before he would meet the Batman (similar to what was tried with "Bruce Wayne" and again with "The Graysons."

This would probably be right up Fox's alley. Gritty crime drama with a liberal mix of single dad home life with lil' Babs (the single father of a teenage daughter shtick would be TV gold).

#7 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Stalker
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

yeah, the article says:

" Gordon is still a detective with the Gotham City Police Department and is yet to meet Batman who will not be part of the series."

I dunno.. Smallville started out and people screamed about there being no Sups and it did pretty well.

#8 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Baxter Stockman

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

View Postrash, on 26 September 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

So in reality, it's just another cop-show that occasionally features Batman???

So in reality, it's just another cop-show that occasionally features minor Marvel heroes that couldn't make their own movies?

#9 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

View Postyojoebro82, on 24 September 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

And do they think just doing a straight up Batman TV show WOULDN'T work? I guess they must....Personally I think it would be the most practical DC property to pull off on TV. The sheer volume of Bat-mythos would give you seven seasons, easy. Plus, ummmmmm....everyone loves Batman already!

Why haven't they done Batman? Seriously, Arrow is practically Batman with a bow anyway. Switch out Diggle for an English guy, Felicity for Oracle, the leather hoody for a bat-suit, and pop for a halfway decent batmobile. And hey, Barrowman would be creepy as Hell as a Nolanesque Joker.

Batman is NOT something that can't be done!

#10 User is online   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 26 September 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

So in reality, it's just another cop-show that occasionally features minor Marvel heroes that couldn't make their own movies?

You just hate Joss Wheedon.

I was skeptical about SHIELD but I'm half way into watching the rerun and I'm into it.

#11 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Baxter Stockman

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postyojoebro82, on 26 September 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

View Postfeatofstrength, on 26 September 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

You just hate Joss

true, but the point here is, there's little difference between these two ideas, so why the immediate hate for one, and universal acceptance for the other? I mean, outside of another desperate attempt of DC to match Marvel?

#12 User is online   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

I wouldn't say I HATE the idea. I like Commissioner Gordon. I just say put all the cards on the table and do a Batman TV show. THIS could be what sets them apart from Marvel. They aren't about to put any of their big guns on TV on a regular basis. Like I say, you could easily fill season after season with Batman lore. Do story arks like the rise and fall of Harvey Dent, all the various Robins, will-they-won't-they romance with Catoman (that will keep the chicks coming back), and an endless pool of cool villains.....They can even save a ton of money on the Batmobile and pull the Keaton ride out of mothballs and have it appear on a regular basis (OK, now I'm just talking crazy talk).

#13 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Stalker
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm pretty sure there are rights and all that to go along with live action movie/TV shows, certain production companies own rights to make certain entities, kind of like how Smallville stayed away from being a Superman show and more a Clark show. I'm betting anything that's why we haven't seen a Batman show apart from the animated ones.

#14 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

View Postyojoebro82, on 26 September 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

They can even save a ton of money on the Batmobile and pull the Keaton ride out of mothballs and have it appear on a regular basis (OK, now I'm just talking crazy talk).

Hey, you still occasionally see the Keatonmobile AND the Bat-Suit they made for that OnStar Batman campaign years ago at conventions or car shows. That's the suit they used for Birds of Prey, why not se it in a full-on Batman series?

#15 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Baxter Stockman

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

I just say put all the cards on the table and do a Batman TV show.

That is how all comic properties should be now. #$## movies and the endless squabbling they cause trying to please all of nerd-dom...with the amount of time and money put into the dozens of fantasy tv series nowadays, there's no reason we should settle for anything less.

#16 User is online   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 26 September 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

#$## movies and the endless squabbling they cause trying to please all of nerd-dom...

Eh....even the best Batman TV show wouldn't be safe from the wrath of the fanboy. The minute they see something that doesn't line up with a comic they read 35 years ago it'll be, "Ugh, I hate when they pull this crap!" and they'll be done.

#17 User is offline   GPM in ICT 

• Mer-Man

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

I wouldn't say I HATE the idea. I like Commissioner Gordon. I just say put all the cards on the table and do a Batman TV show. THIS could be what sets them apart from Marvel. They aren't about to put any of their big guns on TV on a regular basis. Like I say, you could easily fill season after season with Batman lore. Do story arks like the rise and fall of Harvey Dent, all the various Robins, will-they-won't-they romance with Catoman (that will keep the chicks coming back), and an endless pool of cool villains.....They can even save a ton of money on the Batmobile and pull the Keaton ride out of mothballs and have it appear on a regular basis (OK, now I'm just talking crazy talk).

Honestly I think it all comes down to money and I don't mean how much the show would cost. If there was a live action Batman show (and by Batman show I mean a guy in a suit who is called Batman, not some guy trying to figure out what to do and what to be called) on every week then you wouldn't pay all the money to see a Batman movie or so the suits think. They feel that a weekly animated show doesn't take away from the movie audience, but a live action show does.

#18 User is offline   rash 

• Cobra Viper

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Honestly, Gotham without Batman is like...well, I dunno', but it ain't that interestin'...

#19 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Baxter Stockman

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

View Postrash, on 27 September 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Honestly, Gotham without Batman is like...well, I dunno', but it ain't that interestin'...

like SHIELD without Nick Fury? @smilepunch@

#20 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Here's a little bit of irony my brother pointed out when I clued him into the Gordon show.

The last time Commissioner Gordon appeared on live-action television, he was a silly old guy whose greatest achievements were dialing the bat-phone and constantly complaining how completely helpless he and his fellow policemen were without Batman. #joecool#

#21 User is online   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

This sounds promising

http://enewsi.com/mo.../190-25960.html

#22 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

View Postyojoebro82, on 13 January 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Twelve year old Bruce, and classic Bat-Villains? So Gordon is an elementary school crossing guard?

#23 User is online   yojoebro82 

• Devastator

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

View Postmako, on 13 January 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

View Postyojoebro82, on 13 January 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Twelve year old Bruce, and classic Bat-Villains? So Gordon is an elementary school crossing guard?

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen the story of a really young Bruce AFTER his parents being shot. All the stories I've seen jump ahead to him being a young adult as he hops the globe getting his training done. Seeing Bruce between the ages of 10-18ish might be interesting if done right. At this point, when nearly EVERY story has been done already, I'll take anything that appears original.

I always have to curb my enthusiasm when they say we WILL see Bruce in the cape by the final episode. Technically, we saw Clark "in the cape" in the final episode of Smallville, and that was a complete cop out.

#24 User is offline   MrImpossible 

• Foot Soldier

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I don't know how I feel about a Batman universe where all (I think?) the villains have been around long before he has. It's also puzzling how some of the mentioned villains could be dealt with by Gordon and his force....

Alas, like others have said, it's different. I'll take the whole first season, then judge.

#25 User is offline   Doom Saber 

• RaWr!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostJoeRhyno, on 26 September 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure there are rights and all that to go along with live action movie/TV shows, certain production companies own rights to make certain entities, kind of like how Smallville stayed away from being a Superman show and more a Clark show. I'm betting anything that's why we haven't seen a Batman show apart from the animated ones.

I think that is the likely reason since I doubt that the WB would want to compete with itself by having Batman in a movie and a show with different continuities. Batman characters couldn't appear in the animated Justice League series because of the bat embargo in placed due to the Batman. They could have a movie Batman appear in cameos in a tv series, but that involves contracts.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us