Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rented Rise of Cobra

#1 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

• The First Lady of the TNI boards!!!
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Wow, is it bad!! I had forgotten how bad it is!! So inaccurate and full of awful and inaccurate material!! This new film is like Episode III vs Episode I in the prequels!!!

Anyone admit to owning it?? If so, can you even watch it?? Who hasn't seen it since the theaters?? I know I hadn't!!!

Worst are those damn suits!! Up there is all the changing of characters history!!!

I actually liked the Doctor character, and would have loved to include him in the mythos, had he not been Cobra Commander!!! Would have a great combo, Mindbender and the Doctor working together!!

#2 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Penguin

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostLady Jaye, on 04 April 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

This new film is like Episode III vs Episode I in the prequels!!!

As in, comparing one movie that could be a whole lot better to one that is completely terrible? Yeah, I'd say that's accurate.

I admit, I own ROC. But I also own the prequils. Even.

#3 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

Yup!! But I like both Episode III and Retaliation!!!

Why was Brendan Frasier even in the movie??

#4 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "What are you prepared to do?"

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Funny you should ask; it just so happens I watched it again last night, and...I still enjoy it. I still maintain that it's a fun movie that I actually enjoy watching. I'm not ashamed to admit it. (lol) I've said time and time again that no, it may not have been the G.I. Joe film I would have wanted or expected, but I still enjoy it for what it is. In fact, it seems to always get a little better each time I watch it.

#5 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Gung-Ho
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

I own it on DVD, I have the video game for RoC and I believe I've watched RoC 4 times. I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it when I watched it last week. I don't understand comparing it to the prequels at all(and I too enjoyed them). Yeah, it's not the GI Joe that we grew up with, it's far from it... besides the names of some of the characters and the name GI Joe and Cobra.. that's about all it has as being GI Joe.. if you can get over that and not expect the campy cartoon we all grew up with in live action form.. it's actually a fun action movie.

#6 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Penguin

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

View PostLady Jaye, on 04 April 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

A lot of directors have actors that they like to work with and will throw work their was again and again. The GI Joe director also did the Mummy movies which = Brendan Fraiser cameo.

#7 User is offline   mako 

• Leatherhead

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostJoeRhyno, on 04 April 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

I own it on DVD, I have the video game for RoC and I believe I've watched RoC 4 times. I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it when I watched it last week. I don't understand comparing it to the prequels at all(and I too enjoyed them). Yeah, it's not the GI Joe that we grew up with, it's far from it... besides the names of some of the characters and the name GI Joe and Cobra.. that's about all it has as being GI Joe.. if you can get over that and not expect the campy cartoon we all grew up with in live action form.. it's actually a fun action movie.

You said something positive about RoC!?! Are we even allowed to do that?

Seriously, I thought the movie was great, and still do. As for it being worthy of being called G.I. Joe, I consider it a lot more deserving of the name than Renegades or that God-Awful Resolute crap.

View PostLady Jaye, on 04 April 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

I'm asking the same question about the Rock. @hmmm@

#8 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "What are you prepared to do?"

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostJoeRhyno, on 04 April 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

Joe...you just reminded me all over again why we're buds. (lol) My sentiments exactly my friend. I don't own the game though, and I often been tempted to get it. It always looked promising to me despite the mediocre reviews. And yes, just for the record, I too love the Star Wars prequels, warts and all. There, I said it. (lol)

#9 User is offline   GPM in ICT 

• Mer-Man

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I own it on Blu Ray and have watched it a time or two since it came out, plus watching it when it's been on tv. It just another version of Joe to me, between four or five different comics book versions, several animated versions and the movie, it's all Joe to me.

#10 User is offline   Draven79 

• Silent But Deadly Has A Whole New Meaning!
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Like it more than the second, always will point blank because of the cast.
Draven

#11 User is offline   GuitarDevil 

• King Chochacho

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Its become one of those movies that always on rotation on the late-night networks.....I have to admit I've watched it about the same amount of times as Shawshank Redemption, incidentally that will be on 3x all in the same day sometime next week......its latched on like heart disease, killing me softly when ever I catch it on just as Ripcord goes running off in his super suit, the joes seem to cause more damage and prolly take an number of civilian lives just trying to catch up to Baroness in the SUV from hell, its all good made-up times.....Brendan Fraiser woulda made a better Cover Girl.......they could prolly insert him digitally (no pun) like they did Jabba in Star Wars Episode 4 w/Solo........

#12 User is offline   Dragonrider1227 

• Astro Boy's god-parent

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

I saw it in theaters. I own it on Blu-Ray. It's fun to watch but my least favorite moment is probably the Paris chase scene. It felt less like GI Joe and more like James Bond meets Iron Man :/

#13 User is offline   ScrapIron1977 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

My thoughts are somewhat mixed. I thought it was not completely awful as an action film if you take away the fact that it is supposed to be GI Joe characters. Some of the technology in it is so far fetched that it makes Battle Force 2000 tame by comparison. The biggest issue for myself, and I'm sure most of the long term fans is that the re-imagining of the individual characters and the entire team being international. If they wanted to mess the back story up, why not create new characters? It wasn't like they utilized the most popular characters. Instead they messed up Heavy Duty and Ripcord that both have low to moderate popularity over the course of the line at best.
I did like Joseph Gordon-Levitt though. He is always good in whatever he does and I think he had a pretty good take on it. The individual actors were all pretty decent for the most part. My issues are less with the casting and more with the writing/plotting.

#14 User is offline   Eric 

• Zartan

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

I liked Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. The rest didn't really work or feel much like GI Joe, although it had its moments when you forgot they tied Duke, the Baroness, and Cobra Commander all together with pointless storylines.

I usually stop on it and watch for a few minutes when it's on television.

#15 User is offline   GPM in ICT 

• Mer-Man

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostEric, on 14 April 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

I liked Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. The rest didn't really work or feel much like GI Joe, although it had its moments when you forgot they tied Duke, the Baroness, and Cobra Commander all together with pointless storylines.

But it's really no worse than just about every other characters being tied to Snake Eyes in the comic.

#16 User is offline   Eric 

• Zartan

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Good point, GPM.

#17 User is offline   GPM in ICT 

• Mer-Man

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Trust me, thinking about SE and all the characters and how he's tied to them makes my head spin.

#18 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

That's something that can be retconned or something!! Cause they went too far with that IMHO!! Firefly was just one ninja too many!!

#19 User is offline   nevermore 

• Flock Member

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostEric, on 14 April 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

I usually stop on it and watch for a few minutes when it's on television.

Exactly how I feel about it.

#20 User is offline   ScrapIron1977 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

The ninja stuff gets out of hand not just for all the characters that become ninjas but all the ninja fodder out there. Think about how many red ninjas, night creepers and others have died over the course of the series when the ninjas were on the verge of extinction! Where do they all come from. At least in the new ARAH comics, Zartan and Firefly have mostly stuck to their more original portrayal showing signs of martial arts prowess but not being supremely dominant and unbeatable. At one point I think Firefly was basically unstoppable. He could have single-handedly wiped everyone out on all sides and took over the world. That was the most absurd part. How he was secretly a ninja was well explained but his near omnipotent ninja skill was not as credible.

#21 User is offline   ScrapIron1977 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

The best GI Joe movie ever made was Predator. Even if it is heavy on the sci-fi stuff... ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us