TNI Forums: What other ultimate sunbow style figures would you like to see? - TNI Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What other ultimate sunbow style figures would you like to see?

#1 User is offline   Dragonrider1227 

  • Astro Boy's god-parent
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,439
  • Joined: 19-January 03

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

With Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, and Storm Shadow getting Sunbow style figures, what else would you like to see get this treatment? Me, I want to see Duke because the 25th Aniv. version just never did it for me and I want a classic style Duke that can actually hold his weapons properly. Not to mention sit less awkwardly. A Sunbow Flint would be good too I think

#2 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

  • The First Lady of the TNI boards!!!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,037
  • Joined: 10-October 02

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Did I miss an old news item?? When was this announced??

I'd love to see Flint and Lady Jaye of course!! A Zartan and the Dreaknoks!! Televipers and Tomax and Xamot would be sweet!!

#3 User is offline   revsears 

  • Nazburado
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,840
  • Joined: 19-June 02

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Yeap you did Jaye, http://generalsjoes....superpage-2013/ if you scroll down to wave 3 you can see Generalsjoes superpage of all that is coming in that wave (the next one to be released)


Flint and LJ have concept case versions, so why not?

I'd also really love a good sunbow Duke and another good 013 member based on POC SE wave 3 so we can get em all looking like that through customizing. I'd also love sunbow only characters like Sparks and Ledger, but those aren't really "ultimates" are they?

#4 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

  • The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 31,180
  • Joined: 21-February 04

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Oh smack first seeing that the turtles classics were made based on the cartoons now this? I will definatly grab these

#5 User is offline   yojoebro82 

  • Penguin
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,429
  • Joined: 30-August 05

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

I would really like an "ultimat/Sunbow/whaterveryoucallit" Duke. Originally I didn't see the need, I was fine with the 25th Duke, but seeing what's possible with the Cobra COmmander and SS, he would be great.

#6 User is offline   CLAM 

  • ADC MVP since '01
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 17,033
  • Joined: 29-April 03

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

why are these "Sunbow" figures and not just classic RAH?

anyhow, there are several that desperately need the "Ultimate" treatment:

1983-
Duke - his 25th figure is so outdated now. It needs a complete redo
Destro - I always felt he had one of the worst 25th figures. It's a shame because a new one could be so awesome
Gung Ho - He needs updated sculpting and a bigger, more muscular, body

1984-
Mutt- I never liked his fat lady thighs on the 25th figure
Roadblock - make him bigger and badder, like the new ones
Spirit - ugh.. his 25h figure sucks so hard

1985-
Buzzer - his 25th figure wasn't true to the original
Cobra Eel - I never liked how they just added on his shoulder/chest piece
Torch - the upper body is outdated, the lower body wasn't true to him

1986-
Beachhead - they still haven't done one that is accurate
Dialtone
Leatherneck - he got screwed by bad frankensteining for his 25th figure
Lowlight - his POC figure isn't the classic one
Mainframe - bad parts use
Monkeywrench - bad figure
Wetsuit - not accurate to his classic look

1987-
Falcon - come on man... his 25th figure was weak, his 7-pack figure is Slaughter's Marauders
Fast Draw
Law n Order

1988 and beyond too many to list

#7 User is offline   revsears 

  • Nazburado
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,840
  • Joined: 19-June 02

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Clam your Roadblock request made me think of a custom i have seen that was a repaint and fix of the wave 1 roadblock in v1 colors, it looks great! It would be fairly easy for hasbro to do.

I agree Destro v1 wasn't great but i've always been more of a fan of his IG look, so i could live without it.

#8 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

  • The First Lady of the TNI boards!!!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,037
  • Joined: 10-October 02

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

View Postrevsears, on 02 April 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Yeap you did Jaye, http://generalsjoes....superpage-2013/ if you scroll down to wave 3 you can see Generalsjoes superpage


I'm going to use a modern term here, OMG!!!!!! Finally, finally we may have perfect Joe figures?? We so need everyone represented in the Sunbow cartoons in future waves!!!

I agree with whoever said that we need characters that never got their own vintage figures!!

Sparks
Col Sharp
Honda Lou West

#9 User is offline   yojoebro82 

  • Penguin
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,429
  • Joined: 30-August 05

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostCLAM, on 02 April 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

why are these "Sunbow" figures and not just classic RAH?

anyhow, there are several that desperately need the "Ultimate" treatment:

1983-
Duke - his 25th figure is so outdated now. It needs a complete redo
Destro - I always felt he had one of the worst 25th figures. It's a shame because a new one could be so awesome
Gung Ho - He needs updated sculpting and a bigger, more muscular, body

1984-
Mutt- I never liked his fat lady thighs on the 25th figure
Roadblock - make him bigger and badder, like the new ones
Spirit - ugh.. his 25h figure sucks so hard

1985-
Buzzer - his 25th figure wasn't true to the original
Cobra Eel - I never liked how they just added on his shoulder/chest piece
Torch - the upper body is outdated, the lower body wasn't true to him

1986-
Beachhead - they still haven't done one that is accurate
Dialtone
Leatherneck - he got screwed by bad frankensteining for his 25th figure
Lowlight - his POC figure isn't the classic one
Mainframe - bad parts use
Monkeywrench - bad figure
Wetsuit - not accurate to his classic look

1987-
Falcon - come on man... his 25th figure was weak, his 7-pack figure is Slaughter's Marauders
Fast Draw
Law n Order

1988 and beyond too many to list


See, I think a lot of those figures on that list are just fine the way they are. When 25th first came out, everyone was going ga-ga over them. Now I see a lot of requests for redos. I say move forward and do something different.

At the same time, the new figs do look completely awesome and I can't wait for them.

#10 User is offline   CLAM 

  • ADC MVP since '01
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 17,033
  • Joined: 29-April 03

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

View Postyojoebro82, on 03 April 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

View PostCLAM, on 02 April 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

why are these "Sunbow" figures and not just classic RAH?

anyhow, there are several that desperately need the "Ultimate" treatment:

1983-
Duke - his 25th figure is so outdated now. It needs a complete redo
Destro - I always felt he had one of the worst 25th figures. It's a shame because a new one could be so awesome
Gung Ho - He needs updated sculpting and a bigger, more muscular, body

1984-
Mutt- I never liked his fat lady thighs on the 25th figure
Roadblock - make him bigger and badder, like the new ones
Spirit - ugh.. his 25h figure sucks so hard

1985-
Buzzer - his 25th figure wasn't true to the original
Cobra Eel - I never liked how they just added on his shoulder/chest piece
Torch - the upper body is outdated, the lower body wasn't true to him

1986-
Beachhead - they still haven't done one that is accurate
Dialtone
Leatherneck - he got screwed by bad frankensteining for his 25th figure
Lowlight - his POC figure isn't the classic one
Mainframe - bad parts use
Monkeywrench - bad figure
Wetsuit - not accurate to his classic look

1987-
Falcon - come on man... his 25th figure was weak, his 7-pack figure is Slaughter's Marauders
Fast Draw
Law n Order

1988 and beyond too many to list


See, I think a lot of those figures on that list are just fine the way they are. When 25th first came out, everyone was going ga-ga over them. Now I see a lot of requests for redos. I say move forward and do something different.

At the same time, the new figs do look completely awesome and I can't wait for them.



you think those guys look fine? personally, I don't think alot of them can stand up next to the figures we have been getting the last few years. You can't put Sci-Fi and Artight next to Duke and not notice how bad Duke looks with his Mr.Potatohead features

let me ask you then.. isn't the new Cobra Commander much much better than the old one? even though that one was "fine" too?

#11 User is offline   RecklessEndangerment 

  • Romulan
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 712
  • Joined: 01-April 08

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

A lot of the older core characters need to be redone. Duke, Gung Ho, and Scarlett are begging to be redone. On the Cobra side, Destro, Major Blood, and Zartan. Also, the original 3 drednoks just because they tend look pretty bad next to the newer ones.

#12 User is offline   hamsterboy 

  • Padme Amidala
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,582
  • Joined: 11-February 02

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

We need to have Doc and Lifeline. That way you get the clear lenses on the glasses instead of the solid ones they did in the past.

#13 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

  • Gung-Ho
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 12,243
  • Joined: 02-April 04

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'd like to see some of the ones in the cartoon with their masks/helmets off, I've been watching them more and Airtight, and some of the others(or maybe it's just him, lol.. I'll have to pay attention) have their mask off a lot, It'd be cool to get some of those updated like that. But I know some of those just came out, so it'd be almost a waste.

#14 User is offline   CLAM 

  • ADC MVP since '01
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 17,033
  • Joined: 29-April 03

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

View Posthamsterboy, on 03 April 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

We need to have Doc and Lifeline. That way you get the clear lenses on the glasses instead of the solid ones they did in the past.



I am pretty happy with the 2011 Lifeline. that figure is sick

#15 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

  • The First Lady of the TNI boards!!!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,037
  • Joined: 10-October 02

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Fox's glasses weren't see through in the cartoon or the. Figure!! So I'm fine like he is!!

Def fix any pinhead Joes like Destro or CC, which they are!!

#16 User is offline   Devilbat 

  • "What are you prepared to do?"
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,460
  • Joined: 10-December 01

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostCLAM, on 02 April 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

why are these "Sunbow" figures and not just classic RAH?

anyhow, there are several that desperately need the "Ultimate" treatment:

1983-
Duke - his 25th figure is so outdated now. It needs a complete redo
Destro - I always felt he had one of the worst 25th figures. It's a shame because a new one could be so awesome
Gung Ho - He needs updated sculpting and a bigger, more muscular, body

1984-
Mutt- I never liked his fat lady thighs on the 25th figure
Roadblock - make him bigger and badder, like the new ones
Spirit - ugh.. his 25h figure sucks so hard

1985-
Buzzer - his 25th figure wasn't true to the original
Cobra Eel - I never liked how they just added on his shoulder/chest piece
Torch - the upper body is outdated, the lower body wasn't true to him

1986-
Beachhead - they still haven't done one that is accurate
Dialtone
Leatherneck - he got screwed by bad frankensteining for his 25th figure
Lowlight - his POC figure isn't the classic one
Mainframe - bad parts use
Monkeywrench - bad figure
Wetsuit - not accurate to his classic look

1987-
Falcon - come on man... his 25th figure was weak, his 7-pack figure is Slaughter's Marauders
Fast Draw
Law n Order

1988 and beyond too many to list


I agree with each and every choice here CLAM...all except for Beachhead; did you ever see or get the comic two-pack/Hall of Heroes version? I feel like that figure is perfection. But yeah, the others you pointed out? Spot-on my friend. (Sorry yojoe!)

I'll also add some choices I feel like were missed opportunities or need an update:

1982/83: Rock'n Roll, Flash, Short Fuze, Airborne (his 25th Anniversary version is highly overrated), Ace, and Wild Bill

1984: Baroness, Scrap-Iron, and Ripcord

1985: Flint, Lady Jaye, and Shipwreck

1986: Serpentor (I want a proper one that looks like he did in the comic and cartoon movie) and Version 2 Roadblock.

1987: All of Battle Force 2000 and Sneak-Peek. (Yeah, I've always loved that pudgy little overlooked fella.) (lol)

1988: Repeater and Tiger Force Lifeline, Bazooka, Tripwire, and Dusty

1989: Backblast, Recoil, and Version 2 Rock'n Roll

1990: Ambush, Pathfinder, Salvo, Bullhorn, and Rampart

1991: Heavy Duty, Version 2 Mercer, Version 2 Dusty, and Version 2 Low-Light

1992: General Flagg, Version 3 Gung-Ho, Version 3 Duke, Version 2 Firefly, Version 2 Hawk and Version 3 Stalker (Talking Battle Commanders minus the "talking" part), and Version 3 Roadblock

1993: Version 3 Bazooka, Version 2 Beachhead, Colonel Courage, Headhunter Stormtrooper, Version 2 Leatherneck, Version 3 Frostbite

1994: Version 2 Shipwreck and Version 5 Stalker

#17 User is offline   CLAM 

  • ADC MVP since '01
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 17,033
  • Joined: 29-April 03

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostDevilbat, on 03 April 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

I agree with each and every choice here CLAM...all except for Beachhead; did you ever see or get the comic two-pack/Hall of Heroes version? I feel like that figure is perfection.


yup, I have that one from the comic pack. and I agree, it's the best version they have done.. and I really like his webgear.. However, I never liked that body for him. I especially hate the strangely shaped arms, with the bulging shoulders.

I feel like the new one from the Retaliation 3-pack is the perfect body, but of course it's not the correct colors. If they repainted that body and gave him the correct webgear, it would be perfection

#18 User is offline   Devilbat 

  • "What are you prepared to do?"
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,460
  • Joined: 10-December 01

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Yes! You're right...I forgot about that figure. The sad part is, I actually have that figure too. (lol) Mine has a funky hip joint though that doesn't seem to work right. I'd like to have another one, but I'd hate to buy a whole other set just for one figure. But yeah, that is my favorite Beachhead update. I'd love to see it repainted in his classic colors.

#19 User is offline   Storetrooper 

  • Cobra Fat Man
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 327
  • Joined: 08-February 08

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

although I love my classic figures, I do enjoy a new and improved figure and would like to see all the originals redone before moving on to the ones that have already been done much like Star Wars has flooded themselves. I also don't want to see it only because to me it's just another excuse for them to increase the price $2-$3 more.

#20 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

  • The First Lady of the TNI boards!!!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,037
  • Joined: 10-October 02

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

If rather have one perfect and iconic version of a character before we start having version 2 and 3 of characters!!! Just saying!!

#21 User is online   mako 

  • Leatherhead
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,902
  • Joined: 23-February 05

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'd rather Hasbro approached every figure as if it were the ultimate interpretation of a given character.

#22 User is online   GPM in ICT 

  • Mer-Man
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,749
  • Joined: 20-November 03

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

View Postmako, on 04 April 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I'd rather Hasbro approached every figure as if it were the ultimate interpretation of a given character.


I know you probably didn't mean for it to sound bad but I hate when people say things like this. Like Hasbro goes to the sculpters of any given line and tells them to make a bad figure. We've been really lucky that Joes have seen anything at all over the last six years. Sure we have gotten some crappy figures, but I think the good has outweighed the bad. There's always room for improvement, ALWAYS. Joes not a great example because it hasn't constantly been on shelves, but look at Star Wars or Marvel figures over the last fifteen or so years. I remember when Spiderman Legends came out in 2001 and how people said they couldn't get better. But Toy Biz and Hasbro have done amazing things since. I can also remember how people oved the JvC and Spytrrops figures as they came out because of movings ankles or wrists.

#23 User is offline   Devilbat 

  • "What are you prepared to do?"
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,460
  • Joined: 10-December 01

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I agree with you to an extent GPM, but you have to admit, in mako's defense...you can always tell when Hasbro goes that extra mile to make a figure special and when they don't. Like alot of fans, I usually refer to the recent 30th Anniversary Lifeline and Sci-Fi as shining examples of the excellence Hasbro is capable of; they went the extra mile to make those figures special, adding great articulation, sculpting details, and oodles of accessories they definitely didn't have to include. Then you look at some of the Retaliation figures, like the Wave 1 Roadblock; how hard would it have been to make that weapon grip removeable? Or how about the multi-colored weapons some of them have...why blue, red, and/or yellow like some of the vintage '90s figures had? It just seems like sometimes they go out of their way to make a great figure, then other times we're left scratching our collective heads because of some weird articulation issue, oddly-colored weapon or accessory, or a just-plain lazy repaint with awful colors or part-combination. It's quite obvious they don't approach every figure as if they were making the ultimate version.

Having said that, I agree that we have indeed been lucky to get what we have...G.I. Joe is not a universally-successful line like others may be. It's almost a niche property with limited appeal. So in that regard sometimes it does seem like a miracle we've seen what we have. I am very thankful, but it can also be frustrating when you know what a company is capable of and they sometimes fail to deliver for inexplicable reasons.

#24 User is online   mako 

  • Leatherhead
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,902
  • Joined: 23-February 05

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostGPM in ICT, on 04 April 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

View Postmako, on 04 April 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I'd rather Hasbro approached every figure as if it were the ultimate interpretation of a given character.


I know you probably didn't mean for it to sound bad but I hate when people say things like this.

I hate buying medocre figures, so here we are.

#25 User is online   GPM in ICT 

  • Mer-Man
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,749
  • Joined: 20-November 03

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

So than what figures would you consider "Ultimate" and what would you consider mediocre? I'm sure we would see a lot of agreeing and disagreeing on this topic. I just don't think that Hasbro intentionally puts out crap figures.

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment
 
Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us