• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Taking a break from MOTUC

#1 User is offline   Flounnderr 

• Cobra Viper
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hey Everyone,

I've been monitoring the prices of MOTUC on ebay and for most items I've seen a significant increase that seems to be holding steady. The funny thing is that I don't see a whole lot of actual sales at these prices (I'm not talking about Fisto, Teela, Shadow weaver).

Anyway I collect loose figures and even those are hanging around 25-35 (shipping included). With all the hype around the sub and filmation, it looks to me like sellers are not willing to sell cheaper and buyers seem to be keeping the prices high.

What does this mean? Well if i was a speculator, I would say "Now, is the time to sell!". I think we're at the crest of the value. The MOTUC line has about 2 years Maybe? and I think the gen audience is going to continue to peel off as most major characters have been made and not re-released.

So for my collecting, it now means that I'll be sitting out for the near future till the line begins to fall back to the prices i like.

I think this is the part of collecting I really like.... the patience to know when to buy.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out my .02

regards
Joshua

#2 User is offline   Nguyen_Dragon 

• Battlecat

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

I am not completely taking a break but slowing down a lot... There is less than a handful of figures I still really want...

#3 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

i wouldn't do that, spacially now. the next figures that come out are expensive on the secondary market because there arent as much figures made as the previous ones.i believe king he-man is lowest figure ever made for the line. i even think toyguru said that 2013 will have the lowest quota ever. if i were you i would still get the new ones you are interested in as soon as they hit. as for the ones you missed out, i would wait and see. in a few years i guess shadow weaver and fisto can be found loose. specially if the line ends sometimes.

#4 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

• Snakeman

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

I don't blame you. In a perfect toy collecting world, everyone can have and enjoy this line... but we're at the mercy of resellers and Mattel's refusal to cater to the casual toy collector. This kind of thing tends to take the fun out of it.

#5 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Beastman

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

the lines been winding down for some time...the permanent break is coming soon for all

#6 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Two more years left might be a stretch at this point.

Shipping costs among other things will end this shortly.

#7 User is offline   mako 

• Leatherhead

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostCaptainTriumph, on 21 March 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Two more years left might be a stretch at this point.

Shipping costs among other things will end this shortly.

Normally I'd agree, but I figure Matty will try and stretch it as far as they can. At least until the current movie talk blows over.

#8 User is offline   Flounnderr 

• Cobra Viper

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

I don't think that MOTUC will continue to sell ad infinitum at the prices they are at. I think a perfect example is the ToyFair 200X Faker. In 2004 or so it was $80-100 figure, now I've seen it go for $30. I think there's no doubt that the line will end soon and these last figures will become less valuable over time.

Also, I'm not a completist so it won't really bother me if I don't get a Fang Man ect..most of the figures I want are already made, and most of which I already have.

regards

Joshua

PS- I really don't care for King HeMan, I think the figure is ugly.

#9 User is offline   Bayushi Gemma 

• Ninja Freak!!!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I just refuse to pay 100 dollars for a MOTUF figure and am surprised on how so many people do so especially with Fisto, Teela, and Shadow Weaver. My collection feels incomplete without Fisto and Teela but I'm hopeful one day the hype will die down some and I will get them at a more reasonable price. I'm so surprised that people are paying 100 bucks for that ugly variant of Zodac Strobo espcially when they are going to sell it again online later in the year and at a convention or two?

#10 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

masters of the universe classics seems to be the worst line ever if i read the boards around here :-(

#11 User is online   Monkey_Shuttle 

• Foot Soldier

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Not the worse, by far.
Maybe one of most frustrating, tho.

From availability, to QC, to PR, to price/cost, to selection, to shipping, to fulfilment of promises, to customer dissatisfaction, this line seems to consistently hit 3 or more toy-line quagmires at any given time lately.

And while lesser quandaries might have killed other lines, MOTU fans are so passionate about the property, that it results in more ire and bitching than what honestly seems logical. A rational consumer base would have jumped the Matty ship long ago.

But damn it all, we wants our MOTU goodness so we continue to line right back up, month after month, and take more punishment.

It's gotta be some sort of sickness, really. Nostalgia and plastic figures have a strange influence over children of the '80's.

#12 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

• Snakeman

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

The only joy I get from this line is when I look at my figures months after I bought them... seeing all of them on display --- lined up on my shelves --- admiring the sheer beauty of each and every one. The collecting process is what makes it totally suck! But after all is said and done, and the line is DONE, and I take a long, hard look around at my figures --- that is when the real joy will surface. Right now it's the long, arduous journey getting to that point that makes it all so unpleasant.

#13 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

I am pretty well done aside from a few odd figures if my cherry picking self can get them at cost ... if not then i am done & happy with what I got before they went & fucked it all up @loll@

#14 User is offline   jedimaster-c 

• Boba Fett

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

I know the feeling. The last figure I ordered was Ram Man. There really isn't much that has me excited. I am sitting on pins and needles to see what Matty has to offer at SDCC.

#15 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

• Snakeman

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

We really need Eldor. Him and Dare are pretty much the only ones left from the Preternia era... as far as I know.

#16 User is offline   Eric 

• Zartan

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Postshokker, on 22 March 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

masters of the universe classics seems to be the worst line ever if i read the boards around here :-(

We've explained it before.

This is/was one of the best action figure lines ever created. And it was so amazing when it first started, and that continued into its second/third year, even with the bad website, poor quality control, and Digital River.

But the second Mattel put all their eggs into the all-in subscription basket (the regular 12-figure subscription was okay) with no regard for anything else, everything changed and started going downhill.

Now fans are just frustrated and tired and disappointed at what MOTUC has turned into.

I hate that my favorite property had my favorite action figure line of all time and it got destroyed by Mattel's greed and mismanagement. It's such a shame that calling it a shame doesn't begin to do it justice in toy collector terms.

#17 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

I honestly blame the sub... with the sub they can force any crap figure that wouldn't otherwise be made onto the subbers hence why we get a lot of (%&$$(&# why they attempt to beat a dead horse over & over again

#18 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostEric, on 22 March 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

This is/was one of the best action figure lines ever created. And it was so amazing when it first started, and that continued into its second/third year, even with the bad website, poor quality control, and Digital River.

But the second Mattel put all their eggs into the all-in subscription basket (the regular 12-figure subscription was okay) with no regard for anything else, everything changed and started going downhill.

Now fans are just frustrated and tired and disappointed at what MOTUC has turned into.

I hate that my favorite property had my favorite action figure line of all time and it got destroyed by Mattel's greed and mismanagement. It's such a shame that calling it a shame doesn't begin to do it justice in toy collector terms.

Totally agree with you.

#19 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

If I didn't have a sub this year I would of done what I normally do...Cherry pick

I wouldn't totally give up on the line because sometimes there are the figures that show up that appeals to us

#20 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

• Snakeman

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I feel bad for the people who are unable and/or unwilling to see through all the bullshit. There's people (mainly on the org), who will bet their lives that everything Mattel does and everything Nietlich says is 100% true and on the level. It makes me rather sick actually.

#21 User is offline   Dark Horse 

• Born to be the man...

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I think those are all dupe accounts or Mattel employees just posting to make themselves look good. There is no way regular people cannot see the complete BS as it is ofter posted with irrefutable proof.

#22 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

I would never trust Nietlich..After he refered to us as cherrypickers a few years ago I lost any respect for him.He thinks he is above the fans/customers

#23 User is offline   Flounnderr 

• Cobra Viper

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I really don't care about any of this. I dont care about placing blame. I just want the figures at $18 shipped and be able to find what comes out without paying an arm and a leg. I've been collecting figures for 20 years, and I know when its time to sit out. I've never seen I line operated like MOTUC.

Honestly, its break time!

#24 User is offline   Nguyen_Dragon 

• Battlecat

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostCaptainTriumph, on 23 March 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

View PostEric, on 22 March 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Totally agree with you.

I have always tried to keep collecting as enjoyable as possible...I don't need to have everything right away and if I don't get what I want I just move on to something else that catches my eye.

That being said, I am starting to get very sick of this line. This whole Strobo crap and the early access really makes me mad.

Its not that I have any special love for Strobo, I just find the whole drive up the demand(artifically) for the figure on the secondary market ridiculous. You don't sell a product with certain promises(Early Access) and then short change all your loyal subs owners with the only decent offer brought to it to date.

And don't insult us by saying that Mattel has no control over shipping....that is a flat out lie. Where does Mattel think their customers come from? Obviously we have to have jobs that allow us to make enough money to buy their expensive products.

My job is transportation....I'm a Sort Manger at Fed-Ex Ground and have been for 10 of my 18+ years with this company. I know the shipping business and I know what the shipping costs are.

We are being taken for a ride on the shipping cost, no doubt about it. And then being lied to and insulted by Mattel in the process.

It such a shame that a company that is capable of making some great stuff is such a sleazy oganization at heart...

I never seen you go off like this... Its a big mistake by Mattel to piss off customers like yourself...

#25 User is offline   gruntcast 

• Decepticon Seeker

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Iím happy about the early access cuz im a subber and I think we should have some perks for all the money we spend keeping the line alive, cuz because with out the sure income Mattel gets from the subbers this line would of died as fast as the 200x. Also they are going to release strobo later on the matty site just like they did with the white sorceress con exclusive. The shipping is high but I use UPS anyways and the distribution center is located I in California and Cali is known for choking businesses with taxes. But to each their own , enjoy your break and good luck with everything.
Not trying to be a D, everyone can buy what they want or not buy for whatever reason. I like the toys i buy, they all look and feel great , i've only had one QC issue and shipping issue (Conner store logistics) and I fixed that by switching to UPS. I'll stop when it gets to expensive or the quality goes way down, everything else is just business bs and doesn't piss me off, if it did then I would just stop buying.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us