TNI Forums: Anyone a lil concerned! - TNI Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone a lil concerned! Think Marvel can pull off a hat trick with Guardians of the Galaxy?

#1 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

• The First Lady of the TNI boards!!!
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

I don't know, although they may have had a string of winners , I'm not sure if they'll be able to pull of a Guardians of the Galaxy movie??

I mean these are characters that regular people are not familiar with!! To be honest, even I'm not that familiar with them!! And what a strange cast of characters, a tree guy, a bug guy, an interplanetary police man, and a raccoon?? If that's not a menagerie of weird, I don't know what is? Think John Q Public will be able to get behind such a group??

Look how awful Green Lantern was!! Almost the same type of premise, an interplanetary group dedicated to protecting The galaxy!! Of course if Thanos or Galactus are the possible villains, then right there the movie has a chance!! A hero is only as good as their villain!!

I think if the bonus scenes are included with all Phase 2 movies, them perhaps the general public will get accustomed to the team?? What do you guys think??

So if this film does flop, will it derail or change Phase 3 of the Marvel Universe??

#2 User is offline   BigBot84 

• I will be the world's greatest swordsman!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm not concerned. Marvel has a plan and they'll know the right way to promote the film.

#3 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Grand Moff Tarkin

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

It's so disconnected with what they're doing with Avengers and their various team members anyway, I don't see this as a big gamble. If it works, great, if not, they'll survive.

#4 User is offline   mako 

• Leatherhead

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think a year ago a "Guardians" movie might have been a risk, but Avengers has gotten Marvel a lot of leverage.

Besides, it wasn't to long ago that people thought Cap running around in a red, white and blue suit was a risk.

#5 User is offline   Bespin refugee 

• http://jasonshoemaker.deviantart.com/
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

I think the latest rumor has the IM3 endcredit scene leading into Guardians?
I'm not familiar w/ the line-up either, beyond the box set of figures and the latest casting rumors & concept art

#6 User is offline   CLAM 

• ADC MVP since '01

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

I am not worried about it.. mostly because I don't have alot invested into the characters.

but it should be fun.. and heck, who knows, it might be the best one yet just because it will be so different and in space.. where things won't need to be made so "realistic"

#7 User is offline   GPM in ICT 

• Mer-Man

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

I think Marvel's built up enough "good will" with the movies they have released that people will give it a chance. The thing is that people know or have been exposed to all the solo Marvel movie hero's (and even the Avengers) for decades in other media. Comics, Cartoons, video game and toys. The GotG are a completely different animal. This version has only existed for less then ten years and really only been featured in the comics. So I do think Marvel has a lot riding on how well this does in trying to have Disney spend money on lesser know properties. Since this will be the lead up to Avengers 2 (IM3, Cap 2 and Thor 2 will all be out well before Avengers 2) and depending on how/if this ties into A2 it could hurt it in the end. But that could be said of any of the follow up movies. If we get a crappy IM/Cap/Thor sequel than it carries over into Avengers 2 on some level.

#8 User is offline   Belmont13 

• Cobra Crimson Guardsman

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

It can be both a gamble and a reasonable step, on one hand like it was mentioned this team hasn't gotten much exposure outside of comics and one could argue they don't fit the profile of what Marvel has been doing and on the other they appeared in the Avengers cartoon so there is a little exposure plus they already introduced aliens in the Avengers and Thanos made an appearance there who is also rumored to be the villain in this movie so maybe it's not that far off. There is also the fact that this is part of the Phase 2 which will culminate in Avengers 2 in which everyone is assuming Thanos is gonna be the villain so theres is a plan. I guess what I'm saying is that there always a little concern; there was concern with Thor because it was moving away from the "realistic" world that Iron Man established and that worked out fine I'm also confident that Marvel will get it done, more importantly Marvel is confident and that they will get it done. To be honest what has me a little worried so far is the cast: Dave Batista as Drax and Chris Pratt as Starlord but then again I was worried with their previous casting choices and they proved me wrong who knows this might turn out to be a good sci fi movie at least.

#9 User is offline   Draven79 

• Silent But Deadly Has A Whole New Meaning!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I don't think its a risk at all. I think it will be awesome! Hopefully anyway :)
Draven

#10 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Padme Amidala

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Well,there was that cameo they had in Avengers:Earth's Mightest Heroes. Hopefully kids will remember that,if they watched.

#11 User is offline   jjlecaros 

• Spock

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

green lantern didnt fail cuz of the characters it failed cuz of the horrible acting/script

#12 User is offline   Draven79 

• Silent But Deadly Has A Whole New Meaning!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Very true JJ! I think GL's major problem was the script and design all a long.
Draven

#13 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

I would have preferred the original line-up.

#14 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Beastman

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostBigBot84, on 15 March 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

I'm not concerned. Marvel has a plan and they'll know the right way to promote the film.

all part of the "plan"...
Posted Image
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61627

#15 User is offline   BigBot84 

• I will be the world's greatest swordsman!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Come on, you know Wolverine's handled by Fox, not Marvel.

#16 User is offline   mako 

• Leatherhead

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Plan or not, let's face it, one of Guardians' main characters is a gun-toting talking raccoon. There is some danger of this thing coming up short.

Of course if Rise of the Planet of the Apes can take a script about a talking chimp and turn it into an epic sci-fi drama then Marvel can pull off GOG easy.

That being said, I do wanna point out that I am looking forward to Guardians for what it represents as much, or more, than the movie itself.

Think about it. Marvel has carved out a live action universe of costumed super-heroes, rich guys in flying armor, Norse gods, super-soldiers and giant green monsters. For my money, the second they roll out the anthropomorphic rodents the sky is the limit. There'll be nothing they can't pull off.

#17 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Beastman

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postmako, on 27 March 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Of course if Rise of the Planet of the Apes can take a script about a talking chimp and turn it into an epic sci-fi drama then Marvel can pull off GOG easy.

even with it's ups and downs, that's selling one of the first and greatest sci-fi franchises a bit short.

#18 User is offline   mako 

• Leatherhead

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 27 March 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

even with it's ups and downs, that's selling one of the first and greatest sci-fi franchises a bit short.

Lost in Space?

#19 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Plan or not, let's face it, one of Guardians' main characters is a gun-toting talking raccoon. There is some danger of this thing coming up short.

Marvel has carved out a live action universe of costumed super-heroes, rich guys in flying armor, Norse gods, super-soldiers and giant green monsters. For my money, the second they roll out the anthropomorphic rodents the sky is the limit. There'll be nothing they can't pull off.

Both optimistic and worried at the same time!!! Which is my whole opinion and reason for this thread!! As awesome of a job they've done, the raccoon and tree guy worry me!! Can it be pulled off without looking stupid??

#20 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Standalone movie?? 0_o I had not heard of this. I think this makes me more concerned!! I know I have nothing personally at stake, but this is the universe I've loved since I was a kid!!

http://www.slashfilm...fferent-genres/

#21 User is offline   mako 

• Leatherhead

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Okay, now I'm a little worried. I was watching Nicklodeon last night when I caught one of those little "behind the scenes" things they occasionally do to publicize a new movie, in this case Iron Man 3. The news was NOT good.

Everybody is talking about Rhodey wearing the red, white, and blue armor and calling himself Iron Patriot, an army of Iron Man armors, even a bit with Pepper wearing the armor, but last night I heard the one bit of info no fan wants to hear about a superhero movie/show.

There's a kid in it.

I'm not sure how much of the movie is devoted to Stark playing big brother, but the way they were talking, it's a pretty significant part of the movie. Of course being a kids network, Nick could've just been playing up a minor plot point of the film, but it's enough to get me worried.

Has the addition of a kid to the cast ever NOT ruined a superhero/genre movie? RoboCop 3, Temple of Doom, Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, Return of Swamp-Thing? (Okay, that last one would've sucked anyway, but my point still stands.)

I tried to stay positive, but deep down I knew Disney would pull something like this. Sure, it could be just a one time thing, after all have we not all watched Iron Man and thought to ourselves "Gee, this story of a skirt chasiing, alcoholic, narcisist would be super-keen if they'd just add in a kid!" But this is the first Disney/Marvel movie out of the gate, so it dosen't bode well.

If they're already dumbing down the flag-ship of the whole franchise, how can we expect them not to fall flat on the more "out-there" projects like Guardians?

#22 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Just came from iron man 3. i didn't liked it at all.

#23 User is offline   Lady Jaye 

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Really?? Never seen anything about a dumb kid being in the movie!! I hope it's just a tiny tiny part!!!

Shokker what was wrong with it??

#24 User is offline   mako 

• Leatherhead

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostLady Jaye, on 28 April 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Really?? Never seen anything about a dumb kid being in the movie!! I hope it's just a tiny tiny part!!!

Seriously, I was skocked myself. All I know is they introduced this kid who gave the typical lip-service about how cool it was getting to work with Downey Jr. From the few quick snippets they showed, it looks like the kid finds Tony after he gets his butt kicked as Iron Man. There was also a quick behind the scenes clip of Downey in costume as Stark (T-shirt with glowing arc reactor showing through) and the kid horsing around on a street set.

#25 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Beastman

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

enjoyable, fun, but "aren't any real stakes to this film"
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62171

stakes...I might be waiting for pirated dvd to see this one

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us