• Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

No Back Up For Dutch Schaefer Planned From NECA

View the full article

#2 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thats so lame. Dillon could be used more then once. Even blaine. Billy also. Dillon 2-pack with ripped off arms. Man that would rock, lol. They should have done 2-packs and put one lesser known character with dutch. So sales would be ok for these guys to.

#3 User is offline   beckmen 

• Andorian

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Isn't Dutch selling like hotcakes? There is obviously a high demand for the team.

I don't get it. Maybe collectors are too complacent. But personally, I am not going to pay for a million Predator kitbashes of creatures that appear for one second on screen, or not at all. I would however pay for Dutch's team. Logically, I would think the humans would have more appeal, therefore sell more units, therefore warrant the higher cost of production. But perhaps most collectors will "buy whatever is available" instead of voting with their wallets. Or maybe people prefer Random Extra Predator #14 to a Gods-damned Bill Duke action figure with minigun.

Oh, well. More money for me to spend on tacos.

#4 User is offline   SolidSnakeEyes 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

This is terribly disappointing. I would at least expect Dillon and Blain figures, with Billy and Mac being second stringers. For a company that decided to make a glow in the dark RoboCop, NECA not wanting to make a figure of Carl Weathers (who they did release as Apollo in the Rocky line) or Jesse Ventura is very strange to me.

#5 User is offline   nonameshmo30 

• Rat King

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

I agree

I don't know why they will not make the team i am sure carl weathers is a lock and they could use the lower half of dutch for most if not all of the rest. even the jason figure could be used the upper torso shirt could be used for dillion maybe. I am sure they have something they could use to make the rest of the team with only having to tool the faces. I love NECA but this feels like some mattel bull crap

#6 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Neca may have an awesome selection now but lets not forget the past either. If i say tmnt that must be enough for some to know how hurtfull neca can be. Same goes with rocky now. They are not interested in rocky 5+6. i mean 2 fighters are missing to have a complete collection. Rocky in training gear with mick would be a nice seller. I mean freaking jakks manages to do it.

#7 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

This is a shame.

#8 User is offline   beckmen 

• Andorian

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Pop the Pre-fight Apollo Creed head on the Series 9 Jungle Encounter Dutch, change some paint and give him a MP5. Boom. Done.

#9 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postbeckmen, on 22 February 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

Pop the Pre-fight Apollo Creed head on the Series 9 Jungle Encounter Dutch, change some paint and give him a MP5. Boom. Done.

Unfortunately, customs aren't my thing...I need to buy my stuff already made.

#10 User is offline   beckmen 

• Andorian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Me, too. I mean I can boil-and-pop a head, but my artistic "talent" runs out at painting. I was more talking from NECA's standpoint.

#11 User is offline   JayC 

• ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

A couple things to note based on comments here.

1. Having the rights to do a figure based on an actors likeness for one line like say Carl Weathers and Rocky does not mean they can do figures for another line like Predator. They have to go out and negotiate and pay for the likeness of the actor to the specific studio and that actor again for each and every movie line they do.

2. Predator just like with Robocop are easier and cheaper for them to do because their aren't specific actor likeness' involved that need to be negotiated. And no I doubt random human characters are more appealing to the majority of people than the Predators themselves.

3. I am sure some actors likeness' are easier and cheaper to get like a Hawkins over say a Bill Dukes or Jesse Ventura, Carl Weathers but lets be honest here. If NECA say did a Hawkins figure without doing the others, how many of you would really be interested in buying that figure knowing you weren't going to be able to get the entire team? Doing 1 of 2 of the lesser known or liked team members still costs money but likely would not sell well on their own merits, therefore is probably not cost effective for NECA to try and do. Dutch is a character which will sell on his own and therefore they choose him to do.

4. Because it was mentioned, TMNT failed because NECA ran into problems being able to sell them at mass retail, therefore the line was not viable.

5. I am sure everyone at NECA would love to do figures of Dutch's entire team, and who knows maybe one day they will. If Dutch sells incredibly well (which it hasn't even been released yet so we don't know for sure how it will do) then maybe they will look at things again and decide pursuing the other actors likeness' is worth the cost. I think the thing to remember here is these places are business' and there are a ton of factors that go into the decision process of deciding whether they want or even can do something, many of which you guys have no clue about, so try not to be so judgmental all the time about these kind of things. Honestly I think it was pretty cool of NECA to go on record about this in the first place. They could have just kept quit about it so you all would go out and buy Dutch hoping for the possibility of getting the entire team. Obviously if you don't like the Dutch figures or the Predators, no one is advocating you go out and buy them, but don't make threats that you won't buy their products simply because they won't or more likely can't give you exactly everything you want when you want it. Not buying the figures certainly isn't going to get you what you want in these type of situations, nor is getting mad about it. Sure voicing your opinion and expressing your desire to want something is totally cool, but just remember that these companies can only do so much, and it's not meant to be a slight against you or what you want. And this really goes for most toy companies, not just NECA.

#12 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

well said jayc. thats why i apreciate the subscription system from mattel. i know a lot dont understand it. if you want to get more then the sales have to be there and that guaranteed. now its sure different if you have to buy every actors likeness. neca told us about that a little while ago and i am more relaxed and happy to know about it. we all just put up our wishes and most dont mean no harm. now skipping an awesome line just because we may not get the chance for certain characters, thats lame but no one was talking about that here i think. i got hicks from mcfarlane and man he had nothing that looked like the character in the movie. i will get hicks again when neca releases him and hudson to. in hope of course that sales are huge and vasquez and ripley would be made.

#13 User is offline   nonameshmo30 

• Rat King

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

If i may talk about the TMNT line neca did for a sec. There was a pod cast over at criticalmess that talked about this very thing. The guy that is the marketing guy (can't remember his name) said that they wanted to do the TMNT line but playmates has the rights and would not let NECA go any further with them so what they put out at retail was all they could do with out playmates sueing. So they really only put them out for the fans from what i understood. They shouldn't have put them out in the first place but they did for us. Also in my mind it was like giving the finger to playmates which is awesome.

NECA does so many wonderful things and i think that is why we are all upset because we know no one else will do or would do justice to the figures from this movie We love, and we were hoping to get the team but really disapointed by the news. Some are over reacting i'm sure. I myself was let down but i still support neca because they give us good figures and keep them at good prices.

#14 User is offline   beckmen 

• Andorian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I am certainly happy with what NECA has in store for 2013, don't get me wrong on that. Dutch, new Jungle Hunter, ED-209, John Rambo, Hicks, Hudson, new Aliens, etc. It's a lot of really cool stuff from some of my favorite movies.

#15 User is offline   SolidSnakeEyes 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I'm well aware of the efforts required to obtain the rights to an actor's likeness. I was simply suggesting that if Dutch does well, that it might be worth while for NECA to put forth the effort and obtain the rights for Carl and Jesse.
I also understand that it's easier and considerably cheaper for them to use existing molds and make a glow-in-the-dark Robo, than it is for them to tool new molds for a character like Blain.

#16 User is offline   SolidSnakeEyes 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

All in all, it's just that I would think a Dillon or Blain figure would sell. But, maybe not.

#17 User is offline   JayC 

• ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostSolidSnakeEyes, on 23 February 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

All in all, it's just that I would think a Dillon or Blain figure would sell. But, maybe not.

I think they probably would to, but I also think getting the rights for those two actor's likeness' would cost a pretty penny, probably not quit as much as Arnold's but still would be pretty expensive. So the question isn't just would they sell but would they sell well enough to off-set that cost? Obviously at this time NECA doesn't seem to think so, but again hopefully Dutch will surpass their expectations in sales and motivate them to maybe rethink that down the road.

#18 User is offline   gruntcast 

• Decepticon Seeker

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

quote name='JayC' timestamp='1361615990' post='16786588']
A couple things to note based on comments here.

1. Having the rights to do a figure based on an actors likeness for one line like say Carl Weathers and Rocky does not mean they can do figures for another line like Predator. They have to go out and negotiate and pay for the likeness of the actor to the specific studio and that actor again for each and every movie line they do.

2. Predator just like with Robocop are easier and cheaper for them to do because their aren't specific actor likeness' involved that need to be negotiated. And no I doubt random human characters are more appealing to the majority of people than the Predators themselves.

3. I am sure some actors likeness' are easier and cheaper to get like a Hawkins over say a Bill Dukes or Jesse Ventura, Carl Weathers but lets be honest here. If NECA say did a Hawkins figure without doing the others, how many of you would really be interested in buying that figure knowing you weren't going to be able to get the entire team? Doing 1 of 2 of the lesser known or liked team members still costs money but likely would not sell well on their own merits, therefore is probably not cost effective for NECA to try and do. Dutch is a character which will sell on his own and therefore they choose him

4. Because it was mentioned, TMNT failed because NECA ran into problems being able to sell them at mass retail, therefore the line was not viable.

5. I am sure everyone at NECA would love to do figures of Dutch's entire team, and who knows maybe one day they will. If Dutch sells incredibly well (which it hasn't even been released yet so we don't know for sure how it will do) then maybe they will look at things again and decide pursuing the other actors likeness' is worth the cost. I think the thing to remember here is these places are business' and there are a ton of factors that go into the decision process of deciding whether they want or even can do something, many of which you guys have no clue about, so try not to be so judgmental all the time about these kind of things. Honestly I think it was pretty cool of NECA to go on record about this in the first place. They could have just kept quit about it so you all would go out and buy Dutch hoping for the possibility of getting the entire team. Obviously if you don't like the Dutch figures or the Predators, no one is advocating you go out and buy them, but don't make threats that you won't buy their products simply because they won't or more likely can't give you exactly everything you want when you want it. Not buying the figures certainly isn't going to get you what you want in these type of situations, nor is getting mad about it. Sure voicing your opinion and expressing your desire to want something is totally cool, but just remember that these companies can only do so much, and it's not meant to be a slight against you or what you want. And this really goes for most toy companies, not just NECA.
[/quote]

. Yep, couldn't have said better my self, if something is not perfect fan boys are always ready to forget that it a business with a thousand moving parts, and its funny calling them Mattel, it seems the more the companies talk and try to interact with fans the bigger the back lash.

#19 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostJayC, on 24 February 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I think they probably would to, but I also think getting the rights for those two actor's likeness' would cost a pretty penny, probably not quit as much as Arnold's but still would be pretty expensive. So the question isn't just would they sell but would they sell well enough to off-set that cost? Obviously at this time NECA doesn't seem to think so, but again hopefully Dutch will surpass their expectations in sales and motivate them to maybe rethink that down the road.

Then again how can one know if they dont even try one? For years we were talking about to get the lost predators from predator2 and just the main predator got a shot until neca tried it out and look where we are now. We even get kenner remakes and thats how fans can push it. Arnold sells for himself thats for sure and you cant compare him to the others. I say try one and if sales are bad then i understand but if sales were good how far could it go? Same as predators? Ed-209? Alien queen? Trophy wall? Look at how far fans can push it if a company is willing to try :-)

#20 User is offline   SolidSnakeEyes 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

View Postshokker, on 24 February 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

View PostJayC, on 24 February 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

Then again how can one know if they dont even try one? For years we were talking about to get the lost predators from predator2 and just the main predator got a shot until neca tried it out and look where we are now. We even get kenner remakes and thats how fans can push it. Arnold sells for himself thats for sure and you cant compare him to the others. I say try one and if sales are bad then i understand but if sales were good how far could it go? Same as predators? Ed-209? Alien queen? Trophy wall? Look at how far fans can push it if a company is willing to try :-)

You make some good points.

#21 User is offline   Snowman81 

• Trypticon

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I understand them not wanting to have to pay each individual actor, but honestly its a real shame. Personally I have no interesting in owning 15 different Predators. Owning the whole team on the other hand is something I'd jump at in a heart beat.

#22 User is offline   supreme-d 

• Cobra Viper

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

This is such crap. First of all, for NECA to believe that those repainted Kenner tribute Predator figures will sell better than a team of 1/12 (ish) scale military bad-asses is ridiculous. Lava-planet Predator wouldn't even outsell Hawkins, if he was made with the same level of care they gave the 4 Dutch's. This is because people have been wanting some quality military figures for a while. There's a reason Plan B Toys Special Forces line is still so costly on eBay; there's a dearth of similar product. So the whole "likenesses aren't worth it/ no re-use" excuse is bologna. More people want Dutch's team than they want more Predator repaints (at least not whole waves of them), which should be fairly obvious considering the amount of times NECA has responded to requests for the other characters so far. Also, the bodies from these Predator rescue team figures could be re-used for a non-licensed military line. That's one area where NECA has yet to show McFarlane up, right?

Also, further re-use could be found if NECA would maybe give some thought to adding a figure or two to the Valve line: Counterstrike terrorists/counter-terrorists. I realize that Left for Dead and Portal are popular now (well, more like 3 years ago), but Counterstrike is like the star-quarterback of Valve multi-player fps. A counter-terrorist should have been the second figure announced, right after Gordon Freeman. How DOTA 2 had a figure announced before Counter-strike boggles my mind.

#23 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

View Postsupreme-d, on 19 March 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

This is such crap. First of all, for NECA to believe that those repainted Kenner tribute Predator figures will sell better than a team of 1/12 (ish) scale military bad-asses is ridiculous. Lava-planet Predator wouldn't even outsell Hawkins, if he was made with the same level of care they gave the 4 Dutch's. This is because people have been wanting some quality military figures for a while. There's a reason Plan B Toys Special Forces line is still so costly on eBay; there's a dearth of similar product. So the whole "likenesses aren't worth it/ no re-use" excuse is bologna. More people want Dutch's team than they want more Predator repaints (at least not whole waves of them), which should be fairly obvious considering the amount of times NECA has responded to requests for the other characters so far. Also, the bodies from these Predator rescue team figures could be re-used for a non-licensed military line. That's one area where NECA has yet to show McFarlane up, right?

Also, further re-use could be found if NECA would maybe give some thought to adding a figure or two to the Valve line: Counterstrike terrorists/counter-terrorists. I realize that Left for Dead and Portal are popular now (well, more like 3 years ago), but Counterstrike is like the star-quarterback of Valve multi-player fps. A counter-terrorist should have been the second figure announced, right after Gordon Freeman. How DOTA 2 had a figure announced before Counter-strike boggles my mind.

it's true that i would be so in if they would do some army guys. specially if they are articulated. mcf did a great job but they barely move at all. thats why i just got the ones who had a nice display for other figures of mine.

#24 User is offline   Belmont13 

• Cobra Crimson Guardsman

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

To get the whole team in action figure form would be great they are one of the reasons I love that movie so much the diversity of the team with their different weapons to signify their different styles I think people alone would buy them because of the weapons and customizing possibilities.

#25 User is offline   nonameshmo30 

• Rat King

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

I said this before but i am going to say this again But first, I watched the movie again the other day and i watched every shot to see how hard it would be for neca to make the team. And from what i see (this is where i said it before) NECA said there would be to much tooling imo is crap. They reuse parts so from the movie almost all there paints are the same so they could reuse dutchs legs with no issues. They all almost have the same side arms so the pistol holder and knife could be reused. They already have a mini gun in the terminator line so there is that to reuse. the only things that would need to be made would be shirts which i am sure they could reuse something they have already made.

They could reuse dutches arms for blane I am sure we really would not ind that. billies gun would have to be tooled kinda they already have the m 16 part but would have to add a shotgun to the bottom of it. dillon well they already have the weathers rights so tool his guns and put a hat on him ( maybe make a removeable arm for him) the minor list goes on and i am sure it would add up but in the big picture would be minimal to the sales they would get.

On this note they made the deacon figure from promethius which saw 5 seconds of screen time and made david which this move has come and gone no one that i know of really was that excited about this crappy movie so why do they have money for this imo dead line and more gears of war crap that sit around forever but they can not give predator the team it needs and deserves?

Some of there figures choices are well stupid and a waste of money and time when they could be putting more into the predator line or other lines. i mean how many freddys do we really need? how many jason figures do you need? sometimes one is enough. It is great they made freddy in the many forms they did but really if we never saw them in plastic i think we would all have been just fine.

Maybe i am being a fan boy about this but i think i am not alone in the way i feel here about this. The team should be made not 30 different kinds of left for dead figures or gears of war figures or even more jason/freddy figures

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us