TNI Forums: 20 Gobots That Remind Us Why the Gobots Sucked So Incredibly Hard - TNI Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 Gobots That Remind Us Why the Gobots Sucked So Incredibly Hard

#1 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

http://io9.com/59761...d?tag=superlist

#2 User is offline   jedimaster-c 

• Boba Fett
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I remember when the go bots came out. I didn't have very many of both but the Transformers had better character development . Optimus Prime was a much better leader then Leader one was.

#3 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Padme Amidala

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I'm surprised the Power Suits didn't make the list. Transformers got guys like the Constructicons and the Stunticons and all of the others that can combine into bigger robots and what to the Gobots get? Power Suits that they have to hop into in order to make a bigger robot.

#4 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

View Postjedimaster-c, on 19 January 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I remember when the go bots came out. I didn't have very many of both but the Transformers had better character development . Optimus Prime was a much better leader then Leader one was.

Plus at the time Autobots were only card and the cons were jets

I have no idea of how you pick a motorcycle to lead the bad guys while a jet which is far bigger then a motorcycle leads the good guys

#5 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Padme Amidala

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

And why do you give the head good guy the name "Leader-1"? I bet he got a lot of ribbing from the other Gobots when they realized how much it sounds like Elita-1. "Dude. You do know your name sounds like that female Autobot,right?" @lol@

#6 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "Do or do not...there is no try."

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Rock Lords!! They were ridiculous, laughable, a parody of transforming toys...and I loved them. (lol)

Yeah...not all Go-bots were bad. I remember having a camouflaged six-wheeled tank that transformed into a pretty awesome-looking (and pretty-well articulated too, by the way) robot that carried an arm-cannon that didn't look unlike a certain Decepticon leader's weapons of choice. To be fair it was from the larger-scale line, but anyway...it was awesome.

#7 User is offline   Silverbolt 

• Supreme Overlord of Seeker Customization

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostDevilbat, on 20 January 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

Rock Lords!! They were ridiculous, laughable, a parody of transforming toys...and I loved them. (lol)

Yeah...not all Go-bots were bad. I remember having a camouflaged six-wheeled tank that transformed into a pretty awesome-looking (and pretty-well articulated too, by the way) robot that carried an arm-cannon that didn't look unlike a certain Decepticon leader's weapons of choice. To be fair it was from the larger-scale line, but anyway...it was awesome.

Super Go-Bot Defender.

I think Go-Bots get a bad rap for not being comparable to the larger sized transformers. I don't think trying to compare Leader-1 to Optimus or the seeker jets is really the right way to go.

When comparing say Major Mo to Windcharger the Go bot is the far superior figure.

#8 User is offline   Devilbat 

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yeah...if Transformers fans were to honestly take off their rose-colored glasses, they'd admit there were some Transformers that were just as bad back in the day. Anyone remember G1 Whirl? Easily as goofy-looking as most Gobots, if not moreso. Admittedly they were fewer and far between, but there were some crappy Transformers back in the day too. Gobots just had more of them, and a far more inferior tv show.

#9 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Padme Amidala

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

^True. I mean look at Iron Hide and Ratchet. Anyways,I bet Scooter is glad he's not on that list.

#10 User is offline   Silverbolt 

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Posthamsterboy, on 21 January 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

^True. I mean look at Iron Hide and Ratchet. Anyways,I bet Scooter is glad he's not on that list.

That list is kind of a joke. There are three or four Kids meal toys on it. Not like those are actually suppose to be anything great.

#11 User is offline   Crow T Decepticon 

• Captain Cold

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostWheeljack35, on 19 January 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

I have no idea of how you pick a motorcycle to lead the bad guys while a jet which is far bigger then a motorcycle leads the good guys

Well, compare a tractor trailer to a pistol...

#12 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostCrow T Decepticon, on 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostWheeljack35, on 19 January 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Well, compare a tractor trailer to a pistol...

True...

#13 User is offline   GuitarDevil 

• King Chochacho

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Whatttt? Jeepers Creepers is the bomb, Staks, Zero, Wrong Way, & the Crappy bumble bee ripoff are all some of my favorites, mostly cause I had them or at least got them in trades at some point in my toy life. I recently found JCreepers at a garage sale for 25 cent! I wish I could find the bigger futuristic car its black & red w/shark fins and a blue window area for the head and eyes, I wish I could get than one back, I think they even had a little silver rider in the seating area of the car........ahhh good cheap times.....I need to open a twitter account for Jeepers Creepers, maybe once he gets more followers than Jesus he can be taken off the list......

#14 User is offline   Crow T Decepticon 

• Captain Cold

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostGuitarDevil, on 22 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Whatttt? Jeepers Creepers is the bomb, Staks, Zero, Wrong Way, & the Crappy bumble bee ripoff are all some of my favorites, mostly cause I had them or at least got them in trades at some point in my toy life. I recently found JCreepers at a garage sale for 25 cent! I wish I could find the bigger futuristic car its black & red w/shark fins and a blue window area for the head and eyes, I wish I could get than one back, I think they even had a little silver rider in the seating area of the car........ahhh good cheap times.....I need to open a twitter account for Jeepers Creepers, maybe once he gets more followers than Jesus he can be taken off the list......

Bug Bite's one of my favorites as well, along with the black Porsche 928, known as Herr Fiend (lol). They named the silver Porsche Baron Von Joy ... such class! Super GoBots were just awesome.

There's also some cool Machine Robo stuff that Tonka unfortunately never released over here that Bandai did in Japan. There was a bus, a couple of bullet trains, a rocket. I've stalked ebay for them from time to time, but they always fetch too much cash.

#15 User is offline   Silverbolt 

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostCrow T Decepticon, on 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Bug Bite's one of my favorites as well, along with the black Porsche 928, known as Herr Fiend (lol). They named the silver Porsche Baron Von Joy ... such class! Super GoBots were just awesome.

There's also some cool Machine Robo stuff that Tonka unfortunately never released over here that Bandai did in Japan. There was a bus, a couple of bullet trains, a rocket. I've stalked ebay for them from time to time, but they always fetch too much cash.

The best one of those I think is the mini-cooper. I have the bus, the mini, a trike (not Mr. Moto), one of the trains, the rocket, super gobot raizer, super go bot Spy Eye, and the blackbird Snoop as part of my Machine Robo/hard to find Go Bots collection. Always annoys me when I see a go bots stink post because a large majority of them were quality figures when compared to the Transformers of the same size. Admittedly most of them had horrible names though.

#16 User is offline   Silverbolt 

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Psycho or Future Machine (the black future car you are talking about) is one of the more common Super Go bots so it shouldn't to difficult to round one up

#17 User is offline   Devilbat 

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I remember Future Machine!! My little brother had that one...at least I think he did. Maybe it was mine. I don't know...I can't remember. One of us had it. (lol) Anyway...I loved his car mode. The robot mode was kinda goofy-looking though.

#18 User is offline   JeffreyA 

• Queen Elsa & Anna

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I had some of them to most of them I got rid of but I kept Leader 1 a bronken Warpath who is a black heliocopter and Turbo who I don't know where he is anymore. I use to have Space-C and a fork lift.

#19 User is offline   jedimaster-c 

• Boba Fett

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

In the cartoon the Guardians got weakened very easy for what I remember.

#20 User is offline   FUGAYZIE 

• The Gray Ghost

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

yeah there were some pretty ugly gobots without a doubt. buuuuutttt, i still loved them! i enjoyed the show and the toys. the figures were a lot more affordable than TF's at the time and provided just as much fun. heck, most young kids at that time couldnt tell the difference between the two.

#21 User is offline   GuitarDevil 

• King Chochacho

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Here's a crazy question, I seemed to remember that the Go-bots had a Combiner? I remember a car/robot w/a Top Hat?(cmon toy marketers how many drugs were you guys on back then). I have no idea if it was TF's or GoBots? It had mostly generic looking cars but as far as I knew back then it wasn't Transformers brand....I'm at a loss, I got to borrow said robot combiner for a weekend from one of my friends or did I? please help me figure this out or maybe I was nuts even wayyy back then too.........

#22 User is offline   Silverbolt 

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Go Bots had a few combiners. Two were just power suits and a central body. Select Gobots could be placed in the suits. They made two versions of that.

http://www.tfu.info/.../courageous.htm

http://www.tfu.info/...ungy/grungy.htm

They also had two true combiners. Puzzler and Monsterous

http://www.tfu.info/...s/monstrous.htm

http://www.tfu.info/...ler/puzzler.htm

The Go Bot with a top hat was not part of any combiner. That was the Rolls Royce Go Bot Tux

http://www.tfu.info/...des/Tux/tux.htm

#23 User is offline   Crow T Decepticon 

• Captain Cold

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I've still got my old Tux. He's awesome actually.

#24 User is offline   GuitarDevil 

• King Chochacho

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hey thanks SilverBolt it was PUZZLER! It was a mystery, a riddle and yes a Puzzle to me. I guess there was no TopHat but I do remember all the generic cars in the combiner. I had so much fun that weekend I almost traded off some of my favorite joes for Puzzler. One of my friends did that "we'll just trade for the weekend" deal to see if he wanted whatever broken-as$ toy I traded over to him....thanks again....

#25 User is offline   Silverbolt 

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostCrow T Decepticon, on 30 January 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

I've still got my old Tux. He's awesome actually.

A lot of the old Go Bots are awesome figures but get a bad rap because of the Go Bots name/show, and the fact that they are inferior to figures three to four times their size. Yes there are some pretty weak figures like Tank, who's transformation is to just assume a yoga pose, but for each of those there are some pretty cool figures like Tux or Stallion. All in all I think the Go bots line was superior to that of the G1 mini-spies line which I think is a much better way to compare the two.

The Super Go-Bots though generally were destroyed by the G1 figures, there were however a few super go bot gems. Just hate seeing people bash them by saying the line was happy meal toys and figures that transformed by standing them up on the back ends.

Growing up doing that with Hot Wheels and opening the doors on said car were most of the transformers I had. Think I had Starscream, Thundercracker, Jetfire, Hoist, Prime, Afterburner, and Smokescreen.

Most of those figures had a ton of accessories or were fragile. To the point that Go Bots might have actually been a bit more play friendly. In large they had no accessories, were generally tough to break, and quick to transform. Plus they were in scale with Hot Wheels.

I just don't know why they are treated so horribly by collectors.

Obviously I collect them myself. Have a decent sized MOSC collection along with a good loose set and some Machine Robo exclusive figures.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us