Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New to MOTU where to start

#1 User is offline   GhostMaverick 

• Cobra Soldier
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

Been collecting figures avidly for the past 8 years now since stopping after childhood. Ive been mostly collecting Marvel legends and other lines mostly comic related. But as my love grows for collecting action figures the more I noticed the MOTU line. Im twenty six now so obviously i was a fan of the series when I was younger had alot of the original figures but there long since gone now. Was looking for a new series to collect and I was blown away by the detail and accesories with the classics line. The only thing ive noticed is the figures starting at thirty five dollars that seems alittle steep for one figure even though they seem amazing. So was just wondering if anyone had a tips for a newb in this line where do i start,best place to buy online or not. Ect

#2 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

Wow your coming in late..Well if you get started the figures are still $22 and I would always start with He Man and Skeletor but next year they go up to $25 apeice

#3 User is offline   BigBot84 

• I will be the world's greatest swordsman!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

Should have started the week of Thanksgiving, Mattycollector.com had lots of figures for $15-$16.

Otherwise, you should just pick up the essentials on Mattycollector and go from there. See if you like them and track down any others you may want. You could also look for complete loose collections.

#4 User is offline   Nguyen_Dragon 

• Wolverine

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostGhostMaverick, on 17 December 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Been collecting figures avidly for the past 8 years now since stopping after childhood. Ive been mostly collecting Marvel legends and other lines mostly comic related. But as my love grows for collecting action figures the more I noticed the MOTU line. Im twenty six now so obviously i was a fan of the series when I was younger had alot of the original figures but there long since gone now. Was looking for a new series to collect and I was blown away by the detail and accesories with the classics line. The only thing ive noticed is the figures starting at thirty five dollars that seems alittle steep for one figure even though they seem amazing. So was just wondering if anyone had a tips for a newb in this line where do i start,best place to buy online or not. Ect

Pick up the essentials on MattyCollector...

He-Man
Skeletor
Battle Cat
Panthor

I would pick up an extra Jitsu and Ram Man for trades...

#5 User is offline   jedimaster-c 

• Boba Fett

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

That's the best way to get started.

#6 User is offline   GhostMaverick 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice I know I'm jumping in late but I was more of a comic book and figure collector and with two kids now it took some time to catch up on those but now I keep seeing the MOTU figures and was kinda blown away by the recreation of a series I loved as a kid. I've been checking the Mattel site just noticed they were sold out of alot but guess that's the price to pay for gettin in late.

#7 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostGhostMaverick, on 17 December 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Thanks for all the advice I know I'm jumping in late but I was more of a comic book and figure collector and with two kids now it took some time to catch up on those but now I keep seeing the MOTU figures and was kinda blown away by the recreation of a series I loved as a kid. I've been checking the Mattel site just noticed they were sold out of alot but guess that's the price to pay for gettin in late.

not really a bad thing ... the advantage is you get to cherry pick what you want out of knowing EVERYTHING that is already out there ... So start with a list like the above of the main characters & then make up a list in order of what you want from there ... & when the line dies who knows what will happen to the price of figures after words it could just bomb & drop way down also if you go to toyshows or comic shops that happen to sell figures if they have a bunch you maybe able to make a deal with them on the price if you buy a lot at once

#8 User is offline   GhostMaverick 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

View Postsynch, on 17 December 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostGhostMaverick, on 17 December 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

not really a bad thing ... the advantage is you get to cherry pick what you want out of knowing EVERYTHING that is already out there ... So start with a list like the above of the main characters & then make up a list in order of what you want from there ... & when the line dies who knows what will happen to the price of figures after words it could just bomb & drop way down also if you go to toyshows or comic shops that happen to sell figures if they have a bunch you maybe able to make a deal with them on the price if you buy a lot at once

Yeah I get what your saying like I said I've been avidly collecting for awhile now marvel,Mk,player select,halo,ect. I just really didn't to have it go like toybiz legends the company stops doing it then the prices skyrocket making it virtually impossible to start collecting was just hoping to get into it before there extinct.

#9 User is offline   JayC 

• ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

If money is an issue then I would recommend patience. Mattel seems to have periodic sales where they reissue figures. There a couple like Teela you may have to pay secondary market prices on but overall I think Mattel will keep cycling through the figures giving you a chance to get previously released ones.

#10 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

I would reach out to some of your fellow TNI members.

I know that I have extra figures of some characters that I got by mistake or for trading purposes.

Also alot of us are about to get apology figures from Matty.

I already own every figure so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with more duplicate figures.

#11 User is offline   GhostMaverick 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostCaptainTriumph, on 18 December 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

I know that I have extra figures of some characters that I got by mistake or for trading purposes.

I already own every figure so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with more duplicate figures.

The definitely I don't think I'd have anything anyone would wanna trade but if anyone wants to sell extras or anything I have PayPal and good feedback from the few times I've bought from people on the marvel forums. I'm starting with no characters here so any help would do

#12 User is offline   Flounnderr 

• Cobra Viper

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostGhostMaverick, on 18 December 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

View PostCaptainTriumph, on 18 December 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

The definitely I don't think I'd have anything anyone would wanna trade but if anyone wants to sell extras or anything I have PayPal and good feedback from the few times I've bought from people on the marvel forums. I'm starting with no characters here so any help would do

Hey,

I have number of figures for sale, some open with and without acc. and some moc. Email me with your list and i'll see if i can help you out. You definately wont have to pay 35 a figure.

regards
Joshua
flounnderr@aol.com

#13 User is offline   Eric 

• Zartan

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Like everyone has said, go to MattyCollector and get the big guns. Check sale days on MattyCollector on the 15th of each month (unless it's a holiday or weekend, then it's the following business day). Since the prices have gone up and are going up again in 2013, the prices on eBay have gone up, too, even though people might have only paid $20 for the figure.

You can find almost every figure you'd want at a decent price if you're committed to it. Some are going to be expensive no matter what you do, though. It's the best action figure line out there right now. It's worth the effort.

#14 User is offline   GhostMaverick 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostEric, on 20 December 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Like everyone has said, go to MattyCollector and get the big guns. Check sale days on MattyCollector on the 15th of each month (unless it's a holiday or weekend, then it's the following business day). Since the prices have gone up and are going up again in 2013, the prices on eBay have gone up, too, even though people might have only paid $20 for the figure.

You can find almost every figure you'd want at a decent price if you're committed to it. Some are going to be expensive no matter what you do, though. It's the best action figure line out there right now. It's worth the effort.

Yeh i know what your saying the figures def look worth it and not that I have a problem payin for good toys I have before its just needing alot to start with and two kids at christmas and everything. But my wife and family usually give me money to get things I cant get in stores so im gonna have to just get few at a time or look for a lot on ebay definetly pumped to get started in a knew series though.

#15 User is offline   GhostMaverick 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Been looking around for best prices but was wondering if mattycollector.com re- stocks often? Could really only find the he man I wanted most others are out of stock

#16 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

You might want to check here.... http://forums.toynew...owtopic=2091710

He has some he is selling

#17 User is offline   DarthJoe 

• ADC Outcast

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostGhostMaverick, on 22 December 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Been looking around for best prices but was wondering if mattycollector.com re- stocks often? Could really only find the he man I wanted most others are out of stock

If you go here:

http://www.mattycoll...rID.32850483409

...the figures farther down the page are really the only ones that mattycollector keeps in stock on a consistent basis...the big names (He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, Hordak, Battle Cat, etc).

Each month, on sales day, besides the one or two new figures that get released, they will usually put one or two reissued figures up...which might show as being in stock for a few days to a week.

If you want to complete this line, or even start scratching the surface, it's going to require a lot of patience and hoping that mattycollector will put the characters that you want up for sale. This late in the line, I think you're going to be spending a lot of time on the secondary market looking for what you want.

#18 User is offline   rodimusconvoy21 

• Im back!!!!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Another thing is, if you are a Ram man fan you better make arrangements to be around Matt collectors. Com on Jan 15 at noon

#19 User is offline   GhostMaverick 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

K thanks for the info and help everyone.

#20 User is offline   jedimaster-c 

• Boba Fett

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Rammy is going to be a tough one.I do have to work that day but I have help.

#21 User is offline   rodimusconvoy21 

• Im back!!!!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

I will see if I can be around for him, otherwise I won't pay ebay prices for him

#22 User is offline   Nguyen_Dragon 

• Wolverine

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

View Postrodimusconvoy21, on 26 December 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

I will see if I can be around for him, otherwise I won't pay ebay prices for him

BBTS already set the market price at $60 plus... We might see those fast sellouts returning...

#23 User is offline   megachickmagnet 

• Imperial Officer

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

It's admirable that you want to start collecting this line. MOTUC is awesome! ...Aside from the constant QC and CS problems. Unfortunately it will be very difficult to amass a complete, or nearly complete collection because Mattel will not re-release older figures. Ebay or other 3rd party venders is really the only way to do this. Many figures already have "holy grail" status and are herd to find among being marked up very high. It can be done if your willing to fork over more money than these figures are worth. Good luck.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us