• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toys r us has some nerve!

#1 User is offline   kerowack 

• Cobra Soldier
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

At my local toys r us, the figures have gone from 7.99 to 8.99 to 10.49 and today to 11.49! Not only that , but the playset has gone from 119 to 150! No other figure line has shot up like that in three months, have they? Is it because they are popular? I'll stick to Walmart for these.....

#2 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

View Postkerowack, on 22 October 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

At my local toys r us, the figures have gone from 7.99 to 8.99 to 10.49 and today to 11.49! Not only that , but the playset has gone from 119 to 150! No other figure line has shot up like that in three months, have they? Is it because they are popular? I'll stick to Walmart for these.....

They are $7.77 at my local Walmarts

#3 User is offline   kerowack 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostWheeljack35, on 22 October 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

They are $7.77 at my local Walmarts

Yeah, Walmart is being really reasonable, but tru is just irking me. Especially the thirty dollar hike on an already pricy playset.

#4 User is offline   Capt.S.G.Wiseman 

• A cooler, calmer Captain.
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Geez, It's things like this that will eventually spell "nails in the coffin" for TRU.

#5 User is offline   BigBot84 

• I will be the world's greatest swordsman!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, even if Toys R Us failing means that we'd have one less place to shop at, I would have no problem with them going out of business.

#6 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

it would me a bump up in price at walmart & every place else if they had one less mega store to compete with

#7 User is offline   Eric 

• Zartan

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostCapt.S.G.Wiseman, on 22 October 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Geez, It's things like this that will eventually spell "nails in the coffin" for TRU.

That was my thought, too. Those are KB Toys prices, and we all know where they went... (Here's a hint: the dinosaurs and the dodo went there, too ;) ).

#8 User is offline   TheLegoJoker 

• minivenom

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

Man, I hate TRU. Mine hasn't gotten as stupid as yours, but I did see that the sewer lair is now $139.99, the Shellraiser is up to $38.99 from $34.99, Sound FX figures are now $14.99, up from $12.99. NO increase in basic figures yet, but I'm expecting that any time now.

Thank God for Walmart and their $7.77 pricetag. Also, if any of you have a Meijer in your area, they sell the Turtles for $7.99. I just wish someone other than TRU would stock the lair, because I want it but not for $150ish.

#9 User is offline   jahue 

• Snakeman

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

The Funny thing is I got a tru big book today and it has a coupon for 30 dollars off. That would make it 120 the original price. Gee thanks tru

#10 User is offline   elee0031 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Probably compensating for the coupons with the price hike. Any way action figures in general have gone up in prices - basically almost double the amount and now with 3 3/4" figures are the price of regular 5" so the times are a changing I guess. Also I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love going to KB toys when they were at the mall. I scored alot of great figures before they closed. The Fantastic Four movies figures, X-Men figures, Austin Powers figures, X-Files figures, etc. I scored them for like $3 a piece out of the bin. I still have them with the tags on em.

#11 User is offline   FUGAYZIE 

• The Gray Ghost

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

wow, that is pretty steap. anyone notice if any of the other lines had increaed in $?

#12 User is offline   Nguyen_Dragon 

• Battlecat

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Their Lego prices are high as hell...

#13 User is offline   KNEEL_b4_ZOD 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Wow, TRU is my area has always been a good $2-5 higher than Wal Mart or Target depending on the toy line, but a jump that big is ridiculous. I hate how many great lines have TRU exclusives that are priced at the mercy of those overcharging a-holes. Unfortunately TRU usually smashes both Target & Wal Mart in selection, so often times I'm stuck going there. They make eBay and Amazon look increasingly better.

#14 User is offline   GuitarDevil 

• King Chochacho

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

What gets me is that TRU carries some of the stuff you can't really find at WM or Terget, ex. Minimates, Marvel Universe 5 Packs, Motu VS DC 2 packs, Playmobile, various other DC offerings & other lines, I wanted to buy some of the Regular Show stuff but I can't afford 10 bux for 2$ worth of plastic, not to mention the Hanna Barbara Stuff I only picked up Space Ghost because he was really all I could budget for.......

#15 User is offline   Gundam Prime 

• Imperial Officer

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

There's one specific TRU in my area that marks up their prices higher than the other TRUs in my area. For example NECA predators in the surrounding TRUs are $17.99, but this one TRU sells them for $19.99. Shellraiser is $41.99(!!) whereas the other TRUs sell it for $37.99(that's still pricey actually). Masterpiece Thundercracker $81.99, all the other TRUs $74.99. I find it really strange considering surrounding TRUs are only about 5-10 miles away.

#16 User is offline   FUGAYZIE 

• The Gray Ghost

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostGundam Prime, on 24 October 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

There's one specific TRU in my area that marks up their prices higher than the other TRUs in my area. For example NECA predators in the surrounding TRUs are $17.99, but this one TRU sells them for $19.99. Shellraiser is $41.99(!!) whereas the other TRUs sell it for $37.99(that's still pricey actually). Masterpiece Thundercracker $81.99, all the other TRUs $74.99. I find it really strange considering surrounding TRUs are only about 5-10 miles away.

that's strange. are they in a bigger city? sometimes stores in big cities have to pay a city tax and therefor is reflected in thier pricing.

#17 User is offline   JayC 

• ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

The original price for the sewer playset was $119. They now seem to be listing it for a regular price of $139.99, HOWEVER they just put out their Big Book which has a coupon in it that will allow you to pick it up for $99. So even though they are making you jump through a few extra hoops you can actually get it cheaper than the original price and honestly, $100 is a pretty fair price for the size of playset it is with all the features it has.

They also have a price matching policy going. Obviously this doesn't do any good for TRU exclusives, but for regular product if you see it cheaper at another retailer like Wal-Mart, you can get TRU to match it.

http://www.toysrus.c...goryId=11949070

#18 User is offline   KNEEL_b4_ZOD 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

That definitely makes thing easier and better for shopping there, I might have to take advantage of their better selection using their price match policy.

#19 User is offline   TheNewMikeC123 

• Nameless Thug

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Just picked up Wave 1.5 at Wal-mart last night and noticed my receipt after I got in the car and saw That I had just paid 8.88 not 7.77. so changes are always coming and I dont understand how Toy companies think they can squeeze the consumer for as much as they can and then blame the consumer for a failing toy line. "its doing good how can we make it fail? oh ok charge the crap out of it and watch the parents not pay the outrages amount we are asking" to me $3 more no big deal but wait whats next and you know its coming. its the new trend and it kills a toy line every time. I think Transformers Masterpiece is also getting up there.

#20 User is offline   JayC 

• ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostTheNewMikeC123, on 25 October 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Just picked up Wave 1.5 at Wal-mart last night and noticed my receipt after I got in the car and saw That I had just paid 8.88 not 7.77. so changes are always coming and I dont understand how Toy companies think they can squeeze the consumer for as much as they can and then blame the consumer for a failing toy line. "its doing good how can we make it fail? oh ok charge the crap out of it and watch the parents not pay the outrages amount we are asking" to me $3 more no big deal but wait whats next and you know its coming. its the new trend and it kills a toy line every time. I think Transformers Masterpiece is also getting up there.

Well lets be clear. If your Wal-Mart raised the price from $7.77 to 8.88, that has nothing to do with Playmates, that is Wal-Marts doing. Playmates, or any toy company for that matter provide retailers with Suggested Retail Prices but in the end it is up to the individual retailer to decide what they are going to sell a product for not the company that makes said product. Its possible Walmart was undercutting the price which is a practice Wal-Mart has been known to use in order to put a squeeze on its competitors or its possible they decided the market could handle a higher price and raised it accordingly. Same goes with the playset. The price being raised is not Playmates doing, its TRU.

#21 User is offline   TheNewMikeC123 

• Nameless Thug

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

True that, your right, the more popular it gets the more retailers charge, but remember it goes hand in hand companys too charge more for the same product with time as they get more popular. the play-set is awesome I picked it up as soon as toys r us put on their website and I got a discount for spending over $100 and Free shipping so I paid $97 to have it shipped to my front door.

#22 User is offline   Eric 

• Zartan

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

My Walmart had the regular figures at $7.77, but I only saw stickers and empty pegs. Then they got a bunch of the figures in with a big floor display that was full, and the price was up to $8.88. I think the popularity of the cartoon and the figures as a result of that has seen retailers increase the price. Plus Christmas shopping is starting soon, so they have another reason to ask more for toys.

#23 User is offline   Gundam Prime 

• Imperial Officer

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

that's strange. are they in a bigger city? sometimes stores in big cities have to pay a city tax and therefor is reflected in thier pricing.

From what I checked online it looks like all cities in the county pay same tax (8.75%). The only reason I can think of is that this TRU is trying to take advantage of the fact that it gets significantly more foot traffic than the other 2.

#24 User is offline   mako 

• Driller

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

I haven't shopped TRU consistently since the '90's. Back then ToyBiz pumped out so many Marvel Toys every month TRU had to clearance new figures a couple of weeks after their release just to clear the shelves for the next new stuff. I'd go every couple of weeks and find bins full of new figures as low as 25, 50, even 75 % off!

In contrast, the two TRUs in my area are a joke. Their stock is non-existant, their prices are rediculous, and the stores themselves are in constant disarray.

#25 User is offline   FUGAYZIE 

• The Gray Ghost

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostEric, on 26 October 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

My Walmart had the regular figures at $7.77, but I only saw stickers and empty pegs. Then they got a bunch of the figures in with a big floor display that was full, and the price was up to $8.88. I think the popularity of the cartoon and the figures as a result of that has seen retailers increase the price. Plus Christmas shopping is starting soon, so they have another reason to ask more for toys.

yeah i noticed Wal-Mart raised their prices too. must be businesses inflating prices for Christmas. it's pretty sad that with the economy the way it is, companies are inflating prices just in time for holiday shopping :( or at least that's how it appears...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us