• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hasbro tricks fan-blogger

#1 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

http://boingboing.ne...ogger-into.html

Hasbro tricks fan-blogger into revealing his address so they can send him legal threats over widely available leaked product

Australian Nerf fans were outraged to learn how Martyn Yang, a Nerf-gun blogger writing for Urban Taggers, was tricked by Hasbro into revealing his home address with an offer of a giveaway for his readers, only to receive a lawsuit threat and takedown demand from Nerf's lawyers at that address. At issue is a review the blogger ran of the N-STRIKE ELITE “RAMPAGE” BLASTER, a product that wasn't officially released yet (though as he points out, there are lots of places you can get them). Nerf's lawyers demanded that Yang turn over the identity, IP address and other personal information on his source, or face legal sanctions.

Things got worse when Yang complied with the takedown demand, but still came home to find "representatives" of Hasbro's law firm, Baker and McKenzie, skulking around his apartment building and freaking out the neighbours, asking nosy questions and demanding to know where he got his information. Meanwhile, there are calls for Hasbro boycotts on Facebook, and Yang says he's reconsidering whether he'll devote his energies to promoting Hasbro's products in the future.

First of all, you’re lucky that no one called the police. Secondly, I really do not appreciate being ambushed by lawyers or their representatives on a Sunday afternoon when I haven’t done anything wrong, I have taken down the images and it’s not my fault that neither you nor Hasbro seem to be able to find out whoever the original source of the guns. It would also have been appropriate to give me forewarning so that I could have a lawyer present.

I’ve told your friend ‘Christine’ what I know but it was extremely rude to just show up on my doorstep and scare my neighbours like that. Regarding Nitro and Rayven - I really wish that you’d been up front and mentioned the products in question in your first letter, it could have saved everyone a lot of time and Hasbro a lot of legal fees.

#2 User is offline   MikePrime 

• Cardassian
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Nerf Guns? Really? There's people that care that much about Nerf Guns?

#3 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Padme Amidala

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

It would seem they care in Australia.

#4 User is offline   CLAM 

• ADC MVP since '01
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

but they don't care about the thousands and thousands of action figures stolen by chinese factory workers up for sale on ebay?

#5 User is offline   nevermore 

• Flock Member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostCLAM, on 26 April 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

but they don't care about the thousands and thousands of action figures stolen by chinese factory workers up for sale on ebay?

HAHA! Yeah where are their priorities? Here is someone promoting their products and he is being harassed.

#6 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

lol he was reviewing stuff he shouldn't have had in the first place frankly the guy is a moron for falling for it ...

#7 User is offline   CaptainTriumph 

• All-Star Member

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

Oops....

#8 User is offline   shokker 

• Jackleman

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

i am with mikeprime. nerf guns?? really??

#9 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Beastman

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

truly insane. Just when Mattel was edging out Hasbro in overall douchedom...welcome back to the fight, Hasblow!

"It's NERF or nothing...and by 'nothing' we mean lawsuits."

#10 User is offline   MikePrime 

• Cardassian

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Isn't he in possession of stolen property?

#11 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

that is my view of it ... that or like ... prototype of some sort that is not suppose to be out in public hands

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us