TRU exclusive Viper 5-pack

Jeff

This pack is pointless. We get a replacement head. That's it? Those Vipers were PLENTIFUL on the pegs, considering they were pegwarmers. Anyone that wanted to army build them has had ample time, so why bother for one head they can make themselves?

Anyone want some? I can go pick them up right now at Walmart.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much/any of this is official, but I figured if Vipers were really the "bottom of the barrel" they wouldn't get better gear than the basic troopers. Just didn't make sense to me as a kid. Even less as an adult.

The reason they get the better gear is because they are the frontline!! Somewhere down the line Cobra has "realized" that they need to give the frontline some padding if they are to be any good to them!! Cobra Troops aren't given too much because they stay behind and guard the bases and HQ's around the world, and of course Cobra Island!!! While the Viper is sent out into the field, with the BATS right behind when the going gets rough!!! To me it makes sense, always has!!!

That's more or less the way I've tended to see it. Cobra isn't just an army, they're an organization. They need a 'rank' for the guys who either don't want to see combat, or haven't proven they can handle it yet. This is why the Viper was created. With the development of the Viper and all it's specializations, Troopers went from being the 'jack of all trades' who do combat and everything else to the guys who sit in the clubhouse and take monitor duty, act as sentries, assist the Vipers, do the filing, etc. They don't have a lot of weapons and gear because if the base is under attack, they're pretty well boned regardless- the best they can hope for is to take a few of the enemy with them.

Mind though, I don't think there's really any huge gap in 'rank' between the Trooper and the Viper. It's just the 'grunt' job that everyone puts in their time at when they join up, and some people stay in, as it's the closest thing they really have to a 'non-combat' position. Some guys may like the lessened responsibilities and want to be guards and paper-pushers. Others may want to play with the 'big toys', so they'll sign up for Viper training as the first step to a specialization.

Officers are basically Troopers who are in charge of squads, departments, etc. They're the dreaded middle management. No one really likes them, but they keep things running smoothly.

The question I have about the Vipers vs Blueshirts is this:

Does it matter? Some think Blueshirts are above Vipers. Some thing Vipers are above Blueshirts. Some think Vipers are Blueshirts wearing battle gear.

Its rather obvious that the Vipers were intended as replacements for Blueshirts. That's just how it works, the same way Downtown was intended to replace Short-Fuze (actually, he WAS going to be Short-Fuze), Beach Head for Stalker, Dial-Tone for Breaker, Bazooka for Zap, etc.

I would say that I am going to purchase some of these sets, but I just haven't been very good at buying the Toys R US exclusives! It just seems that I keep finding other things to buy with my money!

Some of the troop builder sets are just bears to get a hold of (like the Cobra Night Watch!). The Senior Ranking Officers sets are the same way. Grumble.

I would say that I am going to purchase some of these sets, but I just haven't been very good at buying the Toys R US exclusives! It just seems that I keep finding other things to buy with my money!

Some of the troop builder sets are just bears to get a hold of (like the Cobra Night Watch!). The Senior Ranking Officers sets are the same way. Grumble.

I've seen all of them at various times, I just seem to be buying something else at the time!!!

there are TONS of all the TRU exclusives at my local stores.

And I feel bad about it too, I mean if executed correctly, they would all be totally badass. They all sound extremely cool at the concept stage.

However, Hasbro just gives them lackluster repaints and it's not cool.

just looking at the most recent 3-packs:

Cutter with GungHo's head.

Deepsix and Torpedo both have the same head, standing right next to each other @lol@

Starduster without camo and poor coloring.

Purple Destro, on a figure that has 4 different versions.

And their 5-packs have problems too:

They arrive too late, after demand for said figures has passed.

While the CGs are probably my favorite paint scheme for them, I already have plenty, and I hate that blue Firefly.

The Greenshirts have duke sleeves, why not any of the many full-sleeved arms they could have chosen?

These Vipers are a disaster, these guys are pegwarmers as is! Who wants a 5-pack? they should have changed the wrist.

Apparently, that unmasked Viper is Mercer......... some pics of the file cards have been added. Supposedly, he's "undercover"...........kinda cool though, but I would rather have a Mercer figure than a Mercer/Hawk lookalike thing.

Apparently, that unmasked Viper is Mercer.........some pics of the file cards over have been added. Supposedly, he's "undercover"...........kinda cool though, but I would rather have a Mercer figure than a Mercer/Hawk lookalike thing.

The pics the file cards have actually been added in the first post here already.

Still not overly enthused about the pack, but that is a very cool little nod from the Big H.

*edit* Nice that the new Viper filecard throws yet another curveball into the whole 'who ranks higher' argument. ;)

You know someone earlier compared the Vipers to being somewhat like Marines..........in their mentality. The Vipers being the Cobra equivalent of the Marines..........I can totally see that for some reason.

How many Night Watch packs, and how much? ;)

I don't knoq.. last time I went there were probably 3-4... and they are 24.99 like all the others I think, if not 29.99.

But they probably have 100 of the 3-packs @lol@

How many Night Watch packs, and how much? ;)

I don't knoq.. last time I went there were probably 3-4... and they are 24.99 like all the others I think, if not 29.99.

But they probably have 100 of the 3-packs @lol@

Ooh, could you help me out then? :) Throw me a line!

Still not overly enthused about the pack, but that is a very cool little nod from the Big H.

*edit* Nice that the new Viper filecard throws yet another curveball into the whole 'who ranks higher' argument. ;)

You know someone earlier compared the Vipers to being somewhat like Marines..........in their mentality. The Vipers being the Cobra equivalent of the Marines..........I can totally see that for some reason.

I remember reading something like that. Blueshirts are "Army" equivalent while Vipers are "Marine" equivalent.

I have a crappy pic saved on my camera phone taken last week, and there were at least 50 of those new 3packs.. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.. it looked like some assembly line's reject stash, lol.. cause 90% of them sucked big time and had horrible horrible paint aps

alright to all the people who have been calling the brown haired dude Mercer, there is confirmation on generalsjoes where there is a clear enlarged picture of the file cards and it is indeed Mercer.

there has been one here for a few days now too... go to the link on page 1

• 3 weeks later...