G.I.Joe 3 3/4" Mercenary Wraith Figure & Variant

The Wire

ohhhh.... seeing the Michael Turner artwork stings a little. What a tragic passing.

I'm not sold on this figure. I agree that this should have been a comic pack figure. I'm sure that there's a Snake Eyes that they could have paired it with. They could have easily filled the spot with a Cover Girl, Alpine... someone from the RAH line. I haven't even figured out if this would make for a good custom.

post removed.

um.... interesting.

What do you think about the Wraith figure? If I were just buying figures based on how cool they look... I'd probably still pass on this one. I've said that many times about figures when I see pictures from a convention and then end up buying them when I see them in the store so we'll see.

Am I the only fan of Wraith here? I am a fan of Gi Joe and have been for 25+ years. I've enjoyed the comics, cartoons, movie (gasp), and all the toys. I have read the original marvel run, and read the devils due comics. The Devils Due weren't the best, but had their moments. I can't say I liked them offing characters like they did. The DD run, however, did a nice job of modernizing some characters that needed it, adding a couple new characters, and filled a void while there was nothing new to watch. They had some really cool designs on costumes that I liked, and Wraith was one of them. I will be looking forward to both versions of this and will definetly be looking for the chase clear figure. It is much cooler than looking for the same snake eyes with a different colored wolf. Buy some spray paint and your covered.

I look forward to more Devils Due figures and vehicles down the road. I wish they got a closer version to devils due as far as serpentor goes, as their first attempt was lackluster, but as said, it was a first attempt. For a first attempt at wraith, I think they got it right the first time, and I will be happy with the end product as long as it still looks the same when it comes out on card. Also, whether he be on single card, comic 2 pack, or packed in with a vehicle/or playset, I will be picking him up. If it is popular enough, I think it would be kick a$$ to see as a comic con exclusive where he is in the process of becoming transparent, half clear, half normal, or what not.

I may be a fan. I like the Michael Turner drawing of him. I just don't like the action figure. If I were to do anything, I'd get the clear on and paint it so it looks like Turner's drawing.

I never got that far in Devil's Due because a buddy of mine did a bunch of work for them and didn't get paid. More of a protest sort of thing.

Yes, admittedly the DD run was not the best, to many deaths, too short plot lines, etc. etc. That said however, many of the characters they introduced to match the new toys were actually rather good. Wraith was an awesome character and has turned out a pretty decent figure (better than Serpentor or Python Trooper). There are some others who, with a bit of outfit tweaking would fit in nicely with more established characters - Barel Roll, Dart, Blackout, and CrossHairs come to mind.

I was a ddp fan (save for the Casey run) and look forward to the figure, but once again with this varient, why a logo? This was destro's man and never had a cobra logo!

That's a pretty big charge with out elaborating Hogan vibe.

That's a pretty big charge with out elaborating Hogan vibe.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here but I will say that with the advantage of hindsight, DD was going on broke when my buddy did the work and an INCREASE in sales probably would have gotten him paid. I never did find out how that ended up.

I wonder if the reason why he wasn't in a comic pack was because it was made by DD and Hasbro, by whatever reason why, couldn't reprint it.

Again, I think I'm going to have to wait to see it in the store.

True, maybe they were trying to keep it simple with the cobra logo, which is an error on their part. But I guess maybe they are thinking that not alot of people read the comics and know that he was Destro's agent, so they just decided to dumb it down and just give him the cobra logo to keep on the short and simple. We know how hasbro likes to cut corners where they can.

I still don't like the body cast clothing they are doing now with the 12" line compared to the cloth costumes from before. I would glady pay extra to have the figures look right with proper build. clothing, and armor. The figures to me look too wirey and thin. They got the armor right on the 4" figure, which is good to me. If they did make a 12" version of Wraith, however, I don't think we would get anything near as good, especially on the armor side. Come to think of it, The armor from Final Fantasy:spirits within reminds me of wraiths armor, and could be used to customize a nice 12" wraith.

So these are single carded figures? How is the variant being distributed?

Yes he'll be a single-carded figure, with the variant being the chase figure.