At-te & Republic Dropship!!

JarJarBinks

Wow, these came out of nowhere. I hope they are real, and not just mock-ups for an unreleased toy. Or something along those lines. Because I must have them for my collection. They fudged scale a bit of course, but they still look bitchin' cool. Could this be a suprise continuation of the popular Clone Wars Toy Line? Damn, where is Toy Fair when you need it. Hopefully we'll get some news soon. :)

hasbroAT-TE.jpg

A Sign Of Things To Come?

Cancelled exclusive, amazing custom, or a glimpse into the future? Rebelscum reader Dominic passes along this image of what appears to be two new action figure scale vehicles from Attack of the Clones. Virtually nothing is known, or for that matter rumored, about this pair of prequel vehicles, but the images are certainly enticing to say the least. We'd appreciate hearing back from anyone able to translate the caption, until then we'll definitely keep our fingers crossed.

Well, there may be some bad news about this set. It matches very very closely to the custom AT-TE and Republic Dropship that Andrew Sherant did. And he also Grand Prize winner of Hasbro's Best Young Collector contest. And if I recall, some of his stuff was on display at Celebration II. Would be a shame if all this hype ended up being over some customs. Here's his page over on Artoo's News. Decide for yourselves. :(

Dan: You showed me your custom Republic Gunship/AT-TE transport ship. I have to say I was very impressed. Give us a rundown on how you made them given that a figure scale AT-TE doesn't even exist.

Andrew: I made the Gunship/Dropship by taking a regular factory stock toy and cutting it where I believed it would best match a Dropship. There are certain design features which tell you where to cut. I made the dropping mechanism from plastic. It is simple in design. A plunger, which is the same one that opens the doors on the Gunship, spreads the arms apart releasing the AT-TE. I utilized two pins in the center of the holding pads to lock the Dropship to the AT-TE. The pins extend about a half inch into the center legs of the AT-TE. The angle of the legs keeps the pins from slipping out. The AT-TE is made of sheet plastic from Home Depot. I built the first out of foam core to see if I could do it. Then I repeated my proto type in plastic. The scale I used for the AT-TE was determined by the Gunship/Dropship itself. I bought an Action Fleet AT-TE to have something to pattern mine after. By taking measurements of the small AT-TE I calculated that it could be built three times the size of the Action Fleet's and fit perfectly. If I were to build an AT-TE to a 3- 3/4 inch scale, I estimate it would have to be five times the size of the Action Fleet. That would be two and ½ feet long. My AT-TE is only 18 inches long.

http://www.artoosnews.com/featuredfan/feat...ewsherant.shtml

do the math people

Something fans actually want + Hasbro = a lie. @loll@ @smilepunch@

• 4 years later...
Wow, these came out of nowhere. I hope they are real, and not just mock-ups for an unreleased toy. Or something along those lines. Because I must have them for my collection. They fudged scale a bit of course, but they still look bitchin' cool. Could this be a suprise continuation of the popular Clone Wars Toy Line? Damn, where is Toy Fair when you need it. Hopefully we'll get some news soon. :)

hasbroAT-TE.jpg

Cancelled exclusive, amazing custom, or a glimpse into the future? Rebelscum reader Dominic passes along this image of what appears to be two new action figure scale vehicles from Attack of the Clones. Virtually nothing is known, or for that matter rumored, about this pair of prequel vehicles, but the images are certainly enticing to say the least. We'd appreciate hearing back from anyone able to translate the caption, until then we'll definitely keep our fingers crossed.

Whoa they had the AT-TE even back in 04?

hasbroAT-TE.jpg

Whoa they had the AT-TE even back in 04?

That's pretty amazing! I don't even remember seeing that image back then. I wonder what ever happened to it. Sounds like a good question to ask Hasbro.

I wonder why that dropship has never been released

Here's a quick rundown:

The dropship by itself is pretty much useless. Selling it separately from the AT-TE doesn't make a lot of sense. However, since it's as big/bigger than the AT-TE, that'd push the price of the package to $200 or more (depending on the features of the dropship). Plus the AT-TE + Dropship combo would likely be so heavy that kids will have a pretty hard time getting it "off the ground" so to speak (which kinda defeats the purpose of having the dropship in the first place). Basically, the dropship just isn't very practical to sell by itself, and selling it "bundled" with the AT-TE makes it so expensive as to push the limits of what anyone but the most hardcore collectors are willing to spend. Hasbro played it smart by releasing the AT-TE first. If it sells like crazy, it'll pave the way for a potential dropship release later, though I still tend to think it's unlikely.

I wouldn't say it's impossible that we'll ever see it, but it's probably a pretty long way off.

Now what would be AWESOME would be if they could find a way to make that dropship, but give it some swappable parts to turn it into a closer-to-scale regular Gunship, then take those parts off to turn it into an AT-TE dropship. That's a vehicle that you could sell on its' own merits...and I bet it'd sell pretty well, as arguably the most iconic vehicle of the Prequel trilogy.

If the AT-TE does really well, then that can only improve the chances of the dropship being made. It also would help if the show (Clone Wars) featured the ship a couple of times.

I don't think it would be more expensive to make than the AT-TE. I could even see it coming in cheaper. It is basically a longer version of the Gunship and uses probably the same, if not less, plastic than the gunship since it has such a wide open space.

It would definitely still be a tough sell though without show support.

If the AT-TE does really well, then that can only improve the chances of the dropship being made. It also would help if the show (Clone Wars) featured the ship a couple of times.

I don't think it would be more expensive to make than the AT-TE. I could even see it coming in cheaper. It is basically a longer version of the Gunship and uses probably the same, if not less, plastic than the gunship since it has such a wide open space.

And without the AT-TE that attaches to it being bundled with it.

You've got to remember, for a casual buyer/mom looking to buy for the kids, the dropship will look like a half-missing vehicle.

You've got to remember, for a casual buyer/mom looking to buy for the kids, the dropship will look like a half-missing vehicle.

Yes but moms do read the boxes and ask questions

In my experiance in retail they ask

Yes but moms do read the boxes and ask questions

In my experiance in retail they ask

Yeah I guess the question would be if Hasbro wanted to be sneaky. They could package the dropship like most of the bigger vehicles where it has a picture on the front showing it taking the AT-TE and then putting in the corner that it only has the dropship.

Yeah I guess the question would be if Hasbro wanted to be sneaky. They could package the dropship like most of the bigger vehicles where it has a picture on the front showing it taking the AT-TE and then putting in the corner that it only has the dropship.

I suspect the "action blurb" would have to read "AT-TE Not Included!" for them to pull that off, or they'd have to VERY prominently put that information on the package, lest they get their butts sued for false advertising.

• 1 month later...