TNI Forums: Hasbro and Discovery Communications Announce Joint Venture to Create Television Network - TNI Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hasbro and Discovery Communications Announce Joint Venture to Create Television Network New Channel for GIJoe

#1 User is offline   The Wire 

  • Monkey
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17,894
  • Joined: 22-January 07

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

Hasbro and Discovery Communications Announce Joint Venture to Create Television Network

View the full article

#2 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

Translation guys, new and possible old GIJoe and Transformers cartoons to be shown on this new network.

#3 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

I'm listening to the confrence call with Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner. Sounds like we will be getting a Stretch Armstrong movie from Universal and tv series for this network in the next year or so.

#4 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

Brian Goldner on this confrence call to shareholders i'm listening to just indicated they would be working on a new GIJoe series to take place after the movie for the network. No specific details have been given and I suppose its even possible it could be something live-action but there is at least a confirmation of something for GIJoe going into the works for this new network.

#5 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Same thing for Transformers. Cartoon Network has the exclusive right to air TFA, and if they wish to continue airing that series that is were it would be shown, but Hasbro will be working on some type of new series for after TF2.

Also this network is US based but they will continue to pipe their content out to other networks for International viewers.

#6 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

The possibilities of shows from the 80's and 90's Hasbro libary content to air on this network is a possibility though they mainly want to focus on new content.

#7 User is offline   The Wire 

  • Monkey
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17,894
  • Joined: 22-January 07

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

Hasbro and Discovery Announce New Television Network (Plans for new G.I.Joe & Transformers Series In The Works)

View the full article

#8 User is offline   die fighting x 

  • Cobra Viper
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 593
  • Joined: 28-December 03

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Does a Stretch Armstrong movie really need to be made? What possible story could they come up with that isn't completely laughable? That may have worked 15 years ago as a Saturday morning cartoon but really...its like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.

Now a new G.I. Joe series? Don't give us "new," just turn Resolute into an on-going show. As for TF, I'm on board as long as it isn't anything like Energon, Armada or the Cybertron series. Just give us a G1 re-envisioning without getting into the later Japanese series. I want my childhood back, enough bastardizing and destroying the memories I loved.

#9 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Not sure Resolute would work here. The network I think they are going to be targeting kids up to the age of 14 mainly. I suppose they could tone down the viloence but as is I don't see it airing here.

#10 User is offline   xhairs 

  • Classics for life.
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,539
  • Joined: 21-March 04

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

thats cool i wish res would air on it .

#11 User is offline   MrBear 

  • Battle Droid
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 325
  • Joined: 23-August 08

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

I take it a network like this would not just be on basic cable.

#12 User is offline   DPrime 

  • Happy to be back...
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10,875
  • Joined: 26-July 03

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

View PostJayC, on Apr 30 2009, 07:07 AM, said:

Not sure Resolute would work here. The network I think they are going to be targeting kids up to the age of 14 mainly. I suppose they could tone down the viloence but as is I don't see it airing here.


Maybe they could have a more "adult" primetime lineup, like Teletoon has up here in Canada. Resolute certainly should be continued...

#13 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

View PostMrBear, on Apr 30 2009, 02:17 PM, said:

I take it a network like this would not just be on basic cable.


The network already exists, it's called discovery kids. So check your cable line-up to see if you have it. The network will be re-branding itself in 2010 under the new partnership with Hasbro.

#14 User is offline   JayC 

  • ENI Webmaster
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,068
  • Joined: 04-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

View PostDPrime, on Apr 30 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

View PostJayC, on Apr 30 2009, 07:07 AM, said:

Not sure Resolute would work here. The network I think they are going to be targeting kids up to the age of 14 mainly. I suppose they could tone down the viloence but as is I don't see it airing here.


Maybe they could have a more "adult" primetime lineup, like Teletoon has up here in Canada. Resolute certainly should be continued...


Possible, though Cartoon Network would probaly have first dibs on it just like they do with TFA.

#15 User is offline   Viper Hunter 

  • The Good
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22,445
  • Joined: 12-August 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

View PostJayC, on Apr 30 2009, 04:03 PM, said:

View PostMrBear, on Apr 30 2009, 02:17 PM, said:

I take it a network like this would not just be on basic cable.


The network already exists, it's called discovery kids. So check your cable line-up to see if you have it. The network will be re-branding itself in 2010 under the new partnership with Hasbro.



Well, I can just see the premium cable rates jumping up another $10 a month, now that HASBRO is involved? @haha@

#16 User is offline   revsears 

  • Nazburado
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,840
  • Joined: 19-June 02

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

I'm wondering if CN will continue with TFA now just to keep hasbro from using the competition? make a very minimum amount of episodes or something. Might do the same with resolute but i highly doubt it. I think if the movie does even somewhat well it will be more similar to that or sigma six than resolute.

It won't matter, I likely won't get the channel as it will probably be in the next bracket up on the satelite. If we were allowed to buy a channel at a time things would be so much more honest and fair. I wouldn't have to pay for stuff i didn't approve of and I could easily just live on 10-15 channels. If this one had joe it would likely be on the list.

#17 User is offline   hamsterboy 

  • Padme Amidala
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,585
  • Joined: 11-February 02

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:08 AM

I already get the channel just don't watch it. Too much "educational" stuff for my tastes.

#18 User is offline   A_Spidey_Fan 

  • Snakeman
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 995
  • Joined: 16-July 06

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:41 AM

Discovery Kids is a learning and education channel meant for kids and at least early teens. YTV in Canada has actually aired a few of the Discovery Kids shows(Well, the ones produce in Canada), and some of them aren't too bad. I think some U.S. Discovery Kids shows are aired on Saturday mornings on NBC or CBS(Could be wrong on that). With the rebanding in 2010, sounds like Hasbro will still be doing some educational theme shows(Including the continuation of some Discovery Kids shows. I'm assuming that if they do any shows based on Borad Games, many of them will be Game Shows for kids), but also some entertainment shows as well, at least targeted for 14 and under(Right now, I don't seem them doing really any mature theme shows).

I have a funny feeling that if Hasbro needed to do a learning/educational type G.I. Joe show, they will use the Adventure Team brand/theme of show, since the Adventure Team stuff is usually Joe V.S. Nature(Beasts/animals and Enviroment). Of course, they could have a few human aversaries, such as poachers, hunters(Example: Say Joe has an mission to capture a animal, he may have to deal with some hunters who want to kill the animal for the black market if he wants to complete his mission), etc., and maybe some supernatural base as well(Example: Bigfoot, Yeti, that alien race the toyline featured in the 1970's, etc). And I beleive it can be done in a way that doesn't dumb things down for kids when they provide the educational stuff(I'm not talking about Dora The Explour based education either. I'm more thinking something for 10-14 year olds. Info they can use to help if they had say a school project on tigers or something). And if they do a new Joe V.S. Cobra cartoon series, use that for the entertainment aspect.

Therefore, 2 new Joe shows, with 2 different themes and objectives: 1 with a learning based, the other entertainment based.

#19 User is offline   die fighting x 

  • Cobra Viper
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 593
  • Joined: 28-December 03

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

View PostViper Hunter, on Apr 30 2009, 05:30 PM, said:

View PostJayC, on Apr 30 2009, 04:03 PM, said:

View PostMrBear, on Apr 30 2009, 02:17 PM, said:

I take it a network like this would not just be on basic cable.


The network already exists, it's called discovery kids. So check your cable line-up to see if you have it. The network will be re-branding itself in 2010 under the new partnership with Hasbro.



Well, I can just see the premium cable rates jumping up another $10 a month, now that HASBRO is involved? @haha@

No, you just wont be able to "find" the channel despite reports of other people on the forum in your area watching the new series.

#20 User is offline   Jmacq1 

  • Cobra Officer
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,044
  • Joined: 24-April 08

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

View Postdie fighting x, on Apr 30 2009, 10:49 AM, said:

Does a Stretch Armstrong movie really need to be made? What possible story could they come up with that isn't completely laughable? That may have worked 15 years ago as a Saturday morning cartoon but really...its like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.


You know....there -are- people in this world other than twenty and thirty-something year old G.I. Joe fans. Not everything needs to be taken so seriously either...Stretch Armstrong could very well be a deliberate comedy. Nobody said they're making "Stretch Armstrong: Resolute."

This isn't just going to be the "G.I. Joe/Transformers channel." It's a kid-targeted channel with a lot of different things airing on it. I fail to see why Stretch Armstrong is inherently any less marketable than any of the other brands the channel will have going for it. Just because you might not like it doesn't mean there isn't an audience for it.

#21 User is offline   pesatyel 

  • Lando Calrissian
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10,878
  • Joined: 26-September 03

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

View PostJmacq1, on May 1 2009, 09:28 AM, said:

View Postdie fighting x, on Apr 30 2009, 10:49 AM, said:

Does a Stretch Armstrong movie really need to be made? What possible story could they come up with that isn't completely laughable? That may have worked 15 years ago as a Saturday morning cartoon but really...its like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.


You know....there -are- people in this world other than twenty and thirty-something year old G.I. Joe fans. Not everything needs to be taken so seriously either...Stretch Armstrong could very well be a deliberate comedy. Nobody said they're making "Stretch Armstrong: Resolute."

This isn't just going to be the "G.I. Joe/Transformers channel." It's a kid-targeted channel with a lot of different things airing on it. I fail to see why Stretch Armstrong is inherently any less marketable than any of the other brands the channel will have going for it. Just because you might not like it doesn't mean there isn't an audience for it.


Well that begs the question of how how popular such, rather obscure, things like Stretch Armstrong ARE. I could easily see shows like M.A.S.K. or My Little Pony.

Another factor to consider IS toyline associated with such shows. Merchandizing is still big business and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do a show (about toys) and NOT do a toyline to go with it.

But then this IS a "Discovery" so they might not be so necessary.

#22 User is offline   Viper Hunter 

  • The Good
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22,445
  • Joined: 12-August 02

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

View PostrevSears, on May 1 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

I'm wondering if CN will continue with TFA now just to keep hasbro from using the competition? make a very minimum amount of episodes or something. Might do the same with resolute but i highly doubt it. I think if the movie does even somewhat well it will be more similar to that or sigma six than resolute.

It won't matter, I likely won't get the channel as it will probably be in the next bracket up on the satelite. If we were allowed to buy a channel at a time things would be so much more honest and fair. I wouldn't have to pay for stuff i didn't approve of and I could easily just live on 10-15 channels. If this one had joe it would likely be on the list.



We wonder why more and more Americans are growing up mentally re... @hmmm@ errr...I mean to say uneducated and socially uncivilized, when the poor people get all the garbage stuff and education and more socially acceptable material is over priced? ^_^

Example...?

All the BASIC programming packages contain anything that features offensive "adult" cartoon or comedy channels and "reality TV" infested crap like VH1, MTV or Oxygen! <_<

You'd think it would be just the opposite? No?

#23 User is offline   Roadpigmaster 

  • Andorian
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 19-July 08

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

Sounds great to me.

Now with New dvds od the Original GI JOE cartoon, new video game, new movie, new cartoon, everything is going on the right path for good things for the brand!


#24 User is offline   Roadpigmaster 

  • Andorian
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 19-July 08

  Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

Sounds great to me.

Now with New dvds od the Original GI JOE cartoon, new video game, new movie, new cartoon, everything is going on the right path for good things for the brand!


Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment
 
Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us